Author Topic: 2065 FIRE cohort  (Read 24326 times)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
2065 FIRE cohort
« on: April 25, 2015, 10:02:54 AM »
Anybody else looking to work until they die, buy restaurant food everyday for lunch, never get to know their kids, and someday leave behind a bloated corpse from excessive clown car use? Post here!

SailAway

• Stubble
Re: 2065 FIRE cohort
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 10:40:10 AM »
::looks around for all coworkers::

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 10:45:43 AM »
but...but what if you die tomorrow, why not spend the money now? Or the most cringe-worthy "I deserve it"

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 03:46:20 PM »

i dont mind working until 65 to have more money to retire on or give away, but when i'm fi;

working weekends, holidays,vacations and after 5(all things i have done this year) are gone.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 09:20:48 PM »
Yup.  Toyota has a new Tacoma model coming out with the best off road package ever.   This will be great for my commute to work through the city.   A new infiniti sports car will be the perfect complement for when I don't feel like driving the truck.

Then I think we'll have our in-ground pool rebuilt to make it bigger to get more swim time each year.

And I think a new kitchen with marble floors and counters is in order.

You know what?  Screw it, we'll just build a new house by the golf course and take advantage of low interest rates!   I bet I can borrow close to $1M CAD at these rates.

Gotta spend it while you're still alive!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 05:01:15 AM »

i dont mind working until 65 to have more money to retire on or give away, but when i'm fi;

working weekends, holidays,vacations and after 5(all things i have done this year) are gone.

He said 2065 - not when you turn 65. I'd assume you'd be quite a bit older by that stage :)

I'd be pushing 79. By then, who knows, we could be like the Futurama heads in the glass jar.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 06:11:47 AM »
Sorry Grant, I'm trying hard but I'll miss the 2065 cohort unless I work live until I'm over 100….best of British' to you though

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 06:18:30 AM »
I'll be 78, and living the CEO life......or dead.

win/win

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 07:45:45 AM »
I plan to buy some really, really nice mountain bikes to gather dust in the three-car garage next to the house I'll be paying off until I'm 80. Maybe a kayak or two.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 09:19:47 AM »
Don't forget the smart TVs - one on every wall of every room, as big as possible. Update them every year for maximum viewing enjoyment. That's what the Best Buy credit card is for!

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 09:23:06 AM »
Don't forget the smart TVs - one on every wall of every room, as big as possible. Update them every year for maximum viewing enjoyment. That's what the Best Buy credit card is for!

And they best be 4k and curved... that will make it better!

Avidconsumer

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 09:27:28 AM »

Holographic 3D. This isn't the 10s anymore.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 09:30:05 AM »

I really need two for my bedroom - one on each side of my bed, so that when one side goes numb I can just flip over and watch the other TV.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 09:38:02 AM »

Virtually augmentedy reality-y too.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 09:38:16 AM »

opps... guess I am out of touch with the new tech...

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 10:05:01 AM »
You mock, but did you know there is actually a dollar value of indebtedness at which which you technically cannot die?  It's true, the Grim Reaper will kick you out of bed every morning and tell you that you aren't allowed to die yet and to get your broke ass to work.  It's just nobody has reached that level of debt yet.

So if you want to live forever, work as hard as possible to increase your earnings power and thus the amount of credit you can borrow against, and then blow all you earn plus all you're allowed to borrow like you're starring in your own version of Brewster's Millions.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 10:17:41 AM »
You mock, but did you know there is actually a dollar value of indebtedness at which which you technically cannot die?  It's true, the Grim Reaper will kick you out of bed every morning and tell you that you aren't allowed to die yet and to get your broke ass to work.  It's just nobody has reached that level of debt yet.

So if you want to live forever, work as hard as possible to increase your earnings power and thus the amount of credit you can borrow against, and then blow all you earn plus all you're allowed to borrow like you're starring in your own version of Brewster's Millions.

Hmmm this explains the mentality of many I know...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 10:26:52 AM »

Totally!

I'll be 64 when my youngest finishes college (hopefully, if he finishes in 4 years!)

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 05:52:16 PM »
My son will be 51 by then, hopefully he will one day start a thread titled 2054 FIRE cohort...

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 05:59:38 PM »

I'm hoping that TV can be beamed directly into our brains by 2065. Imagine how effective the ads will be by then.

They'll be inserting commercials into our dreams like on Futurama.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 11:47:45 AM »
My professional mentor just turned 60.  I told him there was no way I would be working at that point and he flat out told me he hopes to work until he dies, and at least until age 70.  Earns about $200,000 in a low COLA area.  Has two boats.  Multiple big vacations a year.  From hints he has made I am guessing his net worth is close to $500,000 but he is going to need a lot more than that to sustain his lifestyle, which he considers more important than getting out of the working world.  I have to give him credit though as he has intentionality about it and has thought about what he wants out of life.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 09:53:17 AM »
My professional mentor just turned 60.  I told him there was no way I would be working at that point and he flat out told me he hopes to work until he dies, and at least until age 70.  Earns about $200,000 in a low COLA area.  Has two boats.  Multiple big vacations a year.  From hints he has made I am guessing his net worth is close to $500,000 but he is going to need a lot more than that to sustain his lifestyle, which he considers more important than getting out of the working world.  I have to give him credit though as he has intentionality about it and has thought about what he wants out of life.
While it is anti-mustachian the way he lives I say good for him. If that is what he hopes for and makes him happy and he is still able to live his lifestyle then this is the rare time I say good for him, as long as he never gets laid off.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 11:58:50 PM »
NOT joining, I'll be 101 that year.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 12:05:02 PM »

I'm hoping that TV can be beamed directly into our brains by 2065. Imagine how effective the ads will be by then.

They'll be inserting commercials into our dreams like on Futurama.

Thanks, now I want...no need to go out and buy Lightspeed Briefs.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2016, 04:19:41 PM »
Don't forget the smart TVs - one on every wall of every room, as big as possible. Update them every year for maximum viewing enjoyment.

That's what the Best Buy credit card is for!
Silly me! I thought the card was so Best Buy could make the sale and collect interest on the sale,
then pester you with ads when they think you "DESERVE A NEW ONE".

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »
Anybody else looking to work until they die, buy restaurant food everyday for lunch, never get to know their kids, and someday leave behind a bloated corpse from excessive clown car use? Post here!

LOL, I think you mean 2065 FIRN (Financial Indebtedness Retiring Never) Cohort.  Or maybe FIRAD (Financial Indebtedness Retiring At Death)

Sounds lovely, but i'll pass, thanks.  I know a few people that will follow this path for sure though..

I haven't nailed down a FIRE date, but it sure as shit will be a lot closer to today than 2065

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 01:11:12 PM »

You load sixteen tons, whadda ya get,
Another day older and deeper in debt.
Saint Peter don't'cha call me 'cos I can't go,
I sold my soul to the Company store.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 12:26:15 PM »
Damn, now I'm thinking about all the fancy things I could buy if I push retirement back 30 years and work until I'm 75... I could probably build my own Beauty and the Beast castle with a hangar-sized library and full scale ballroom.

Tempting, tempting...

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2016, 02:37:41 PM »
Think I'm out of this group...I'll be 98

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2016, 07:39:02 PM »

Thing is, the Gentleman from Tennessee (or the subject of his song) sold his soul to buy flour and potatoes with company scrip. The miners in those situations were truly victims of a rigged system set up by the mining companies.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2016, 08:13:41 AM »
May i recommend:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/theminewars/

You can watch it online or via the PBS app that the streaming TV devices offer.

American history is quite a bit messier than the school used to teach my generation way back when...

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 05:10:29 PM »
At first I thought this was going to be someone's baby pictures, planning that their spawn would retire at 48! Secondly, I really hope, though I doubt, that this forum is up and running in like 20 years and people non-sarcastically join this group. Imagine thinking, "ahh, nah, 2064 won't work better go to 2065" and then seeing all of the comments like this in the first two pages and being super confused :).

As a side note, that is an interesting thing in survey research, where years ending in 5 or 0 are over-represented because people remember that things were 'about' 5 years ago when they were 4 or 6 years ago, especially the further back you go. Some cool math around making that go away.

Anyway, to you, reader in the year 2037, hello from the past!

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 09:10:03 PM »

Hehe, I may be on that track, i just got a chase card with 28k limit. If i get say 2 of these a year, lease a car every 3, buy a truck for my boat and build a mac mansion with a pool, Europe/ Tahiti vacays and a Nordstrom card... I think i get a life membership to the FIRN (see above) with the Grim-Reaper Kick upgrade!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2017, 02:29:27 PM »

Thing is, the Gentleman from Tennessee (or the subject of his song) sold his soul to buy flour and potatoes with company scrip. The miners in those situations were truly victims of a rigged system set up by the mining companies.

The miners and their families truly were. However, for most modern humans in a post-labor-movement society, it's purely self-inflicted.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2017, 05:45:43 PM »

The miners and their families truly were. However, for most modern humans in a post-labor-movement society, it's purely self-inflicted.

I have some scrip from those mining companies that my great grandfather worked for before he became a postman following WWI. Definitely had the odds stacked against them.

mrmoolaman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 07:55:30 PM »
When I read the title to this thread I actually got a little mad! Thought some idiots had infiltrated MMM...

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2017, 08:54:10 PM »

Well... I hope to still be FIRE in 2065. Can't imagine what it would be like for the money to run out age 79 and have to go back to work again...

SuperMex

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2017, 11:18:32 AM »
I would be 93 by 2065, not the oldest worker I have ever seen. The funniest part is they couldn't fire me do to age discrimination.

I had a guy that was a total mess in Iraq that was 82. He was on so many heart meds and would get winded from just putting his gear on.

I was so afraid he was going to die that I put him on permanent radio watch. His only job was to answer the phones and take notes on yellow stickies and put them on our monitors.

He was paid 180k a year for this job. I think he was on his 6th deployment if I remember right. He was single never married and retired from the Navy, FBI, and getting SS.

He told me he was afraid to retire because he knew he would die.

Khan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2017, 04:51:43 AM »
I would love to be be so enthralled with what I'm doing that I'm not retired in 2065... I'd be 78.

But I'd be FI a thousand times over by then...

Guess I'm staying in the presidential suites, and renting time from whoever bought Richard Branson's island!

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
I'd be 76...

If I'm working at that age...it'll be at the local Lowe's store, so I can get discounts on stuff for unnecessary upgrades for the house. It's within walking distance...and it'll be a good way to stay social and physically active.

My dad plans to do the same thing...10-20 hours a week of near minimum wage is enough to cover a little bit of fun money and get away from my mom.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2017, 07:50:59 AM »
I'd be 76...

If I'm working at that age...it'll be at the local Lowe's store, so I can get discounts on stuff for unnecessary upgrades for the house. It's within walking distance...and it'll be a good way to stay social and physically active.

My dad plans to do the same thing...10-20 hours a week of near minimum wage is enough to cover a little bit of fun money and get away from my mom.

My dad is 71. He has a job delivering auto parts from a warehouse to local mechanics. He's been a "car guy" his entire life, and so a chance to get out of the house for a few hours a day and shoot the breeze with other gearheads is pretty much perfect for him.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2017, 08:05:57 AM »
My dad is 76, and occasionally delivers cars for dealerships, up to 150 miles away. When he retired at 60, every one worried that he would drive my stepmother batty, being around the house so much. They have worked out a system that minimizes hassles.  However, I'll be 101 in '65, so I guess working outside the house at that point doesn't apply to me.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2017, 05:28:21 PM »
I would be in my 80s! Hopefully I'll be in good enough shape to be volunteering still, though. Maybe I'd take tickets at Disneyland enough hours per week to get my great-grand nieces and nephews in for free. :)

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2017, 10:34:29 PM »
Sort of in. I hope to manage investments (of which I hope to have $2M+ at least) and participate in different projects/businesses for my entire life. I'll be almost 80 by 2065 though, so how active I'll be I don't really know.

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2017, 10:44:09 PM »
"Wow, you're retiring at 2065? Must nice to have your kind disposable income."

Mr. Llama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2017, 09:27:17 PM »

Well actually I love the work I do and can't imagine doing anything more rewarding just for the sake of retiring. I tried mini retirement for about 6 months and got extremely depressed. Maybe it's best to sometimes keep an open mind about your lifestyle choices.

Abo345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2017, 09:59:10 PM »
I can't wait to retire in 2065!! It will be my 50th work anniversary at my company and then I can pick the fanciest gift in the coroporate gift catalogue!! I will have the fanciest company logo gear out of anyone in the office, everyone will be so jealous! And I can't wait to display the plaque with my name and work anniversary in my cubicle! I'll finally be top dawg!!

No joke: I've heard the anniversary gift catalogue at a certain Fortune 500 company has a company logo coffin. So you can die and put your lifeless corpse in a box with your company's name engraved on it so they can forever own your soul.

stackorstarve

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: Marietta, GA (Hometown); West Lafayette, IN (College); Louisville, KY (Co-op)
  • Just glad I found MMM early
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
Lol that would be a "normal" retirement age for me.

Done by Forty

• Stubble
    • Done by Forty
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2017, 01:00:41 PM »

Well actually I love the work I do and can't imagine doing anything more rewarding just for the sake of retiring. I tried mini retirement for about 6 months and got extremely depressed. Maybe it's best to sometimes keep an open mind about your lifestyle choices.

Here here. It's about financial independence, and freedom of choices, right? If you found something that makes you happy and it just happens to be a job, don't let the retirement police tell you you're doing it wrong.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:02:33 PM by Done by Forty »

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »

I can add to the soundtrack to this thread. From Canada's greatest blues artist:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XgBI8Y0q6Ck