Author Topic: 2016 Won't be an All You Can Eat Market  (Read 2632 times)

dude

• Handlebar Stache
2016 Won't be an All You Can Eat Market
« on: November 30, 2015, 11:33:04 AM »
The gist is that index investing isn't going to make you any money next year, so you need a fund manager who can find the right sectors for you where there will be money to be made (basically):

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/2016-wont-eat-market-fund-133627826.html#

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2016 Won't be an All You Can Eat Market
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 11:46:51 AM »
The gist is that index investing isn't going to make you any money next year, so you need a fund manager who can find the right sectors for you where there will be money to be made (basically):

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/2016-wont-eat-market-fund-133627826.html#

I'm sure all the fund managers would be happy to take your money for fees to fund their Ferraris and such. Not only would they have to find the right sector, but they have to beat the market by those same percentage fees in order for you to break even with stock index funds. They have to beat the market by margins greater than their fees in order for you to make money by doing so. The chances of them doing that are very slim indeed if you have ever seen the studies published in the Bogleheads Guide to Investing.

I highlighted the word will in your comment above. That is a big assumption. The linked article used the phrase "can still prevail" which is less certain than 'will.'

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 11:58:49 AM »
The obvious solution is a money manager that will guarantee to pay the index out of their own pocket and will take a fee on anything they make over that.
Shouldn't all the experts be willing to take a client on this basis?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 12:38:27 PM »
With this headline I thought the OP was going to bring up an article indicating that food prices would be higher in 2016 and this somehow would mean that all buffets will either close or have to raise their prices.

Man, this shows where my mind is at this afternoon.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 01:08:54 PM »
With this headline I thought the OP was going to bring up an article indicating that food prices would be higher in 2016 and this somehow would mean that all buffets will either close or have to raise their prices.

Man, this shows where my mind is at this afternoon.
I thought the same thing.  I need to start packing bigger lunches.