Author Topic: 2013 Top Miserable Cities in the US  (Read 5500 times)

stevedoug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Photon Chasing
2013 Top Miserable Cities in the US
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:22:01 AM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/02/21/detroit-tops-2013-list-of-americas-most-miserable-cities/

Detroit (my hometown) tops the list, yet again. (for what it's worth I moved out of Detroit in the 90s and now live in the suburbs)

the metrics:

"This year we examined nine factors for the 200 largest metro areas in the U.S. The metrics include the serious: violent crime, unemployment, foreclosures, taxes (income and property) and home prices. We also include less weighty, but still important quality-of-life issues like commute times and weather."

seems like a list of some of the least complainy pants cities for me!

and, some comments about Chicago and New York:

"Two cities on our list, Chicago (No. 4) and New York (No. 10) may surprise readers, though they’ve been here before. Both offer a myriad of opportunities and positives as the homes of financial centers, world-class culture, leading universities, sports teams galore and high-end restaurants."

Apparently Detroit doesn't have enough sports teams, high end restaurants, or leading universities!
Just though it was an interesting list to share (Michigan took 30% of the top 10).
Am I making it harder on myself by living in Michigan??

destron

• Bristles
    • Mustachian Financial Calculators
Re: 2013 Top Miserable Cities in the US
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 08:34:59 AM »
Interesting that NY, NY ranks for the longest commutes. I cannot even fathom that commutes are worse than here in Los Angeles.

unplugged

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 11:43:55 AM »
I was so surprised to see my state listed. I love living here. Atlanta crime must be underreported. Though my husband did sadly experience some but it was in a suburb outside of Atlanta. I know the traffic is bad but.... I guess those of us outside of Atlanta are not miserable and we do not realize the crime rate. I also don't watch the news. Still shocked to see my state listed.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 12:33:17 PM »
I wonder at their criteria.  Particularly when "crummy weather" is cited as a factor in making places like Milwaukee & Poughkeepsie miserable (I think they're rather nice, myself), but no mention is made of the horrible heat & humidity in Miami, Atlanta, Stockton, &c.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 06:52:28 PM »
I need to get my aluminum foil hat, James must have a machine.....

I was thinking the exact same thing (literally).  I have a feeling the people who write these articles are all 65 year olds who grew up in the South.  None of them like cold! Or four season!  No mention is ever made of insane heat and humidity!

ExBex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 08:24:47 AM »
Am I making it harder on myself by living in Michigan??

As a Michigander myself... Good question!  Especially by the end of winter.

There are so many variables that could be used to make a list like this, and to sway it one direction or another.  But for me, the core question is: Are you proud to call your city home?  I think that would sum up everything.  I'm sure my great-grandparents had a great deal of civic pride in the Detroit area, but I wonder if it's time to move on now.  It's that line between wanting to stay and contribute to making it better, or just cutting losses after decades of "turn-arounds". 

seems like a list of some of the least complainy pants cities for me!

I'm not so sure about this.  Seems like a lot of excuses and blame-pointing come out of these cities' leadership.  And while there are some good grassroots efforts happening, there's not enough optimistic "can-do" mustachian spirit to overcome the tide of apathy.

mushroom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 08:34:44 AM »
Speaking of Poughkeepsie, a year ago Forbes called it the sixth best place to raise a family...apparently Forbes can't make up its mind.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP4a6b163d0faa4f3488f2d15892e12ef1.html

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 09:27:02 AM »
Hah... I've been to Poughkeepsie, it's pretty cool.  I think it's being re-vitalized.  Quick train ride to NYC.  Really nice architecture.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »
And speaking of "crummy weather", is it just the media, or are northeasterners/midwesterners becoming weather wimps?  I grew up back there (upstate New York), and remember snowstorms dumping 3-4 feet.  Now it seems that a predicted foot or so gets all the media trumpting about imminent disaster.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »
I'm sure that's just the journalists trying to sell news.  The people who live through it probably cope the same as ever.

Jaherman99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »
I spent 10 years in Michigan in and around Detriot and now live outside of Tampa. I have gladly traded 6 months of miserable, cold, gloomy winter for three months of sweaty discomfort in the summer.

I do have to admit that early summer up north beats anywhere.  But then they get even more hot and sweaty than it is down here.  We never get above 90 or 92.