Author Topic: 2.5% Financial Advisor - that lets you sell low?!  (Read 2846 times)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
2.5% Financial Advisor - that lets you sell low?!
« on: December 24, 2014, 09:18:15 AM »
This would be funny if it wasn't so sad (and also make me a little angry.) I was talking about investing with someone close to me - they said they are gun shy from losing a lot from investing at peaks / pre-crash and then selling in a panic. But the real kicker was saying "We really like our financial advisor" but then said that he charged them 2.5% of their investments! Awful, no-good, expensive bad advice!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: 2.5% Financial Advisor - that lets you sell low?!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 09:21:34 AM »
This just screams, "Just shut up and take my money!"

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »
I have never understood the "personal relationship" side of financial advisors that make people fear "breaking up" with them even when it is clear that they are getting screwed.

Guizmo

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 10:17:24 AM »
I think it is just how uncomfortable that can be. I've stayed in relationships longer than I should have because I wanted to put off breaking up.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 04:51:11 PM »
Doesn't sound like this financial adviser actually gives any advice at all.  I think he just buys and sells the securities.  At a 2.5% charge.

KStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 05:38:06 AM »
I work in the field and way too many people can call themselves financial advisors without having the necessary expertise or competence that one would normally associate with the title.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 09:54:24 PM »
I work in the field and way too many people can call themselves financial advisors without having the necessary expertise or competence that one would normally associate with the title.

Ditto.  A lot of the guys at the big brokerage firms/banks are really salesmen who studied really hard, passed a securities exam, and then start acting like they are the best in the business.  In reality they know as much as your crazy uncle. 

Working at one of those firms(not very long) years ago I heard the craziest things.  One guy said CFP(certified financial planner) stood for "can't f&^%ing produce" implying real planners were bad at sales.  Everyone told stories about their bonuses and sales.  No one ever told a story about how great they felt after helping someone.  I once watched a presentation on selling life insurance.  They replaced 100% of the guys income if he died, paid off the house, car, kids educations, put away money for the wife's retirement, etc, etc....   3.5 million dollar policy.  I raised my hand and asked, "If all the debts are paid including the house, kids education is paid for, her retirement is taken care of, and he isn't eating or driving anymore why does the wife need 100% of his income for life?"   The answer, "Bigger policy means bigger commission."   Right....  I was also amazed by the amount of times people would make crazy market predictions.... be wrong, and then keep making more predictions with the same conviction.  I should actually reach out to all those guys who in 2009 predicted hyperinflation and see what they think now.

If you ever do meet with a financial advisor step one should be checking their business card for CFP, CFA, or a Masters in financial planning.  If you don't see any of those walk away.  Step two ask if they are a fiduciary.  If they say no walk away.  Then ask if they are fee only or paid through commissions.  If they are paid through commissions walk away.  You get the idea...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!