Author Topic: 150 dollar IV fluids  (Read 5700 times)

RexualChocolate

• Stubble
150 dollar IV fluids
« on: March 28, 2015, 12:38:08 PM »
www.hydratemedical.com

Can't hang because you spent too much on alcohol last night? Spend even more offsetting your hangover!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: 150 dollar IV fluids
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 01:01:27 PM »
That's a bargain!

The Vegas Hangover Busses are a lot more expensive.

http://www.hangoverheaven.com/

Anywhere between $159 and $259, depending on how much stuff you want pumped into you.

EricL

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 01:39:39 PM »
A few multivitamins with a sports drink before and after are much cheaper.  Cheapest is just not to drink.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 01:51:39 PM »
A few multivitamins with a sports drink before and after are much cheaper.  Cheapest is just not to drink.

Yeah, but how can you get drunk if you don't drink? :p

I spent some time in college driving the "drunk bus" (amazingly fun - getting paid to harass drunks with a bus and a PA system) and when people learned that I enjoyed Guinness (this was back in about 2003, before the wonderful rise of the local microbrews), the question was almost universally, "Wow... how much do they pay you that you can get drunk on Guinness?"  Missing the point, guys... :/

RexualChocolate

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 03:37:15 PM »
Cheapest thing to do would be lay flat on the ground and not move Buzz Killington.

Hangover cure is a cheeseburger and a nap not a needle in your arm!

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 08:35:19 PM »
That woman in NYC had to have her limbs amputated after doing this.  Not the smartest idea. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 08:57:47 PM »
I thought this was going to be a thread about places that will pay you for donating your blood plasma.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 11:18:05 AM »
Coconut water should provide much of the same benefits at a fraction of the cost. I don't know anything about injecting it in you, but based on how clear-headed I felt the last time I was hungover, I wonder how safe it is for people to inject themselves with IV.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 11:30:52 AM »
You don't give yourself an IV.  You pay someone to give it to you.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 11:40:25 AM »

That makes more sense.

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 05:49:19 AM »
This makes me sad. I had hyperemesis gravidarum and going to the hospital for iv fluids made me vomit the whole way. $300 for a home visit would have been perfect and much cheaper than a home nurse. Yet people can get this for a hangover!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 06:28:22 AM »
lol - a buddy of mine was in medical school when he went way overboard with the drinking one night.  he brought home an IV bag and was sitting in our living room 'rehydrating himself while watching Saturday morning cartoons.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 12:29:41 PM »
This makes me sad. I had hyperemesis gravidarum and going to the hospital for iv fluids made me vomit the whole way. $300 for a home visit would have been perfect and much cheaper than a home nurse. Yet people can get this for a hangover!

I have crohns and occasionally need IV's.  I'd much rather get one at home.  Maybe that will be the next business and they will accept insurance.  One can dream.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 01:59:32 PM »
I knew a really serious triathlete who did lots of Ironman-distance events. He used to get IVs after the race--not because he had a problem, but just because they gave them out to anyone who wanted them. There was a medical tent at the finish line where they just hooked you up.  He would rate events as a one-IV race, a 2-IV race, etc.

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 12:43:43 AM »

I have crohns and occasionally need IV's.  I'd much rather get one at home.  Maybe that will be the next business and they will accept insurance.  One can dream.

I think if it were affordable there would certainly be a good market. When people are sick and exhausted the last thing they want is a hospital trip...

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 11:34:22 AM »

I think if it were affordable there would certainly be a good market. When people are sick and exhausted the last thing they want is a hospital trip...

I think the biggest issue is liability.  If you are sick enough to need an IV the standard of care usually means ruling out some more serious things first.  For my Crohn's I pretty much only need rehydration at times but before they rehydrate me (or while they are doing it) they usually rule out bowel blockage and appendicitis.  The linked service is for athletes/hangovers where the person isn't presenting w/ a medical problem, just a need for quick rehydration.  I think that is why it is a more inciting business model. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 12:05:05 PM »
Cheapest thing to do would be lay flat on the ground and not move Buzz Killington.

Hangover cure is a cheeseburger and a nap not a needle in your arm!
Wouldn't dying be even cheaper? Just think, we could all kill ourselves and our investments would just compound forever....

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!