Author Topic: 10 Fun Ways to Spend your Tax Refund  (Read 9067 times)

dsmexpat

• Stubble
Re: 10 Fun Ways to Spend your Tax Refund
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 12:51:23 PM »
I have never understood paying extra for better seats on flights. I was talking with my in-laws, who refuse to fly anything but first class, about it and I was stunned by their justifications. What it comes down to in the end is paying $200 an hour for a better class of sitting down waiting. If they could get you there faster, sure, I could see myself paying for that. If the coach seats were in some way dangerous, or on the outside of the plane, or exposed to the outside air temperature, then yes, I would pay extra. But I just don't think sitting down with a book, or watching a movie, has $200/hr worth of improvement to offer. It's a fairly narrow range of experiences between pretty much okay and fairly enjoyable. It can only get so bad, it can only get so good.

/rant

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 01:42:20 PM »
At least it started with, "If you're debt-free and have a pile of savings..."

But most people are neither, and will still blow their refund on stupid things.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 01:43:46 PM »

...you're probably not the type to go blowing a windfall on consumer bullshit anways.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 02:41:38 PM »

...you're probably not the type to go blowing a windfall on consumer bullshit anways.

Can confirm.  I ended up with a huge refund this year due to unintentionally dropping my taxable income below my wife's, which meant the child care expenses had to go on my return.  That money is going straight into investments, though I did have to resist the temptation to buy another guitar. :)

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 04:04:29 PM »
When I got to #8 "Grab a Newer Model" I thought they were talking about the 20 somethings model in the foreground.  She is kind of cute.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 07:43:59 PM »
I have never understood paying extra for better seats on flights... It can only get so bad, it can only get so good.
While I've never paid for first class, I've flown it.  Coach is torture for me (last time I flew coach across the continent, I could barely walk the next day). First is almost pleasant.  This is why I churn credit cards for miles.

Unfortunately I have some very long flights coming up this summer, including a 7 hour overnight flight.  In coach.  Kill me now.  It would cost me "only" $1200 to bump up to first round trip (under $100/hour).  I can't change the carrier, and sincerely wish I'd churned for Delta miles instead of AA.  A could have had a lie flat bed instead of a cramped coach seat.  <sigh>

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
I have never understood paying extra for better seats on flights... It can only get so bad, it can only get so good.
While I've never paid for first class, I've flown it.  Coach is torture for me (last time I flew coach across the continent, I could barely walk the next day). First is almost pleasant.  This is why I churn credit cards for miles.

Unfortunately I have some very long flights coming up this summer, including a 7 hour overnight flight.  In coach.  Kill me now.  It would cost me "only" $1200 to bump up to first round trip (under $100/hour).  I can't change the carrier, and sincerely wish I'd churned for Delta miles instead of AA.  A could have had a lie flat bed instead of a cramped coach seat.  <sigh>

Coach on spirit airlines is fine if you are a child, but not if you are an average size adult.  I'm about 6'1" and would have needed about 6" more space in front of me to fit my legs in.  Unreasonably small and uncomfortable.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 10:11:50 PM »
When I got to #8 "Grab a Newer Model" I thought they were talking about the 20 somethings model in the foreground.  She is kind of cute.

That's where I thought they were going with that, too.  However, we did get the new mattress mentioned on that slide, with our refund a couple years ago.  Better sleep = worth every dime.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 10:23:13 AM »
A newer model will cost more than your tax refund.  Alimony, child support, half of everything...

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 10:41:54 AM »
The 14 hour flight to Asia from New York is wearing thin on economy class. But I can't justify the 5k for 1st class, which is why I will start churning after buying my next multi.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 11:22:48 AM »
I never pay for 1st class on an airplane, but I do spring for Economy Plus to get extra legroom.  It's worth the extra money to reduce my chances of getting a blood clot in my legs.

ILoveMyBlondeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 12:20:10 PM »
I never pay for 1st class on an airplane, but I do spring for Economy Plus to get extra legroom.  It's worth the extra money to reduce my chances of getting a blood clot in my legs.

Amen.  I actually had experience with blood clots in my legs that traveled up to my lungs....and let me tell you...the extra $xxx for the extra leg room is very preferable over the $xx,xxx hospital bill. Sigh.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 12:54:59 PM »
Amen.  I actually had experience with blood clots in my legs that traveled up to my lungs....and let me tell you...the extra $xxx for the extra leg room is very preferable over the $xx,xxx hospital bill. Sigh.
I've heard about those, and it sounds awful. Is it not possible to avoid through activity?
I'm so naturally restless that I don't think I'm at risk, but I admit that I don't fully understand the risk factors. My wife and I fly to Argentina to see her family roughly once a year*, and that 10-hour flight sucks... I tense and stretch my legs constantly throughout the flight, not to consciously avoid clots but just because I can't stay still and can't get comfortable for long. Should I still worry?
*Obligatory side note, this being MMM: this tradition will delay FIRE by at least a year, most likely. Oh well. They're lovely people and homesickness is a real issue for her. I think of it as mental health insurance. :)

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 01:09:56 PM »
Our tax refund, net (had to pay fed and got refund from state) after paying our preparer (it's a bit complicated)--   was $129 this year.  We blew $40 on dinner for three at our favorite Asian place, and the rest went into the regular maw of the budge without thought.  I don't feel too bad about that.  Now I"m thinking I should have blown the whole wad? 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 01:56:53 PM »
Mine is all going to energy improvements to our new place... roughly $700 federal and $1700 state should get us plenty of blow-in and spray foam for various areas. Depending on savings, we also may replace or even enlarge our south-facing windows.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 01:59:53 PM »
The stock photo for "Upgrade your seat" is unintentionally hilarious.  Here's this "rich" guy in a suit with a 15 year old iPod and a flip phone.  (Possible closet Mustachian I guess, but very unlikely)

ILoveMyBlondeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 07:53:01 AM »
I've heard about those, and it sounds awful. Is it not possible to avoid through activity?
I'm so naturally restless that I don't think I'm at risk, but I admit that I don't fully understand the risk factors. My wife and I fly to Argentina to see her family roughly once a year*, and that 10-hour flight sucks... I tense and stretch my legs constantly throughout the flight, not to consciously avoid clots but just because I can't stay still and can't get comfortable for long. Should I still worry?
*Obligatory side note, this being MMM: this tradition will delay FIRE by at least a year, most likely. Oh well. They're lovely people and homesickness is a real issue for her. I think of it as mental health insurance. :)

Unfortunately....some people are just unlucky.  Birth control pills were a risk factor to blame for mine, so they say.  I was a very healthy person other than that isolated incident. I would like to think it was just a fluke since I generally get up multiple times and move around on a plane, and I figit around while I sit.  Who knows. 

Brian5000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 12:49:14 PM »
I loved this quote from the Skydiver:

“I always did something really boring with my tax refund each year, mostly just paying off credit cards. But this year I decided I was going to spend it on something fun,” Narramore said.

Paying off his credit cards is just too boring for this rad dude so he's going to keep that huge CC balance rolling this year in order to go skydiving. YOLO! His debt reduction plan probably includes faking his own death during a jump.

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 02:11:40 PM »
I have never understood paying extra for better seats on flights. I was talking with my in-laws, who refuse to fly anything but first class, about it and I was stunned by their justifications. What it comes down to in the end is paying $200 an hour for a better class of sitting down waiting. If they could get you there faster, sure, I could see myself paying for that. If the coach seats were in some way dangerous, or on the outside of the plane, or exposed to the outside air temperature, then yes, I would pay extra. But I just don't think sitting down with a book, or watching a movie, has $200/hr worth of improvement to offer. It's a fairly narrow range of experiences between pretty much okay and fairly enjoyable. It can only get so bad, it can only get so good.

/rant

As others have said, I don't get first class (though occasionally I do get an upgrade), but at 6'3", yes, I pay for the extra leg room.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 02:32:59 PM »

Unfortunately....some people are just unlucky.  Birth control pills were a risk factor to blame for mine, so they say.  I was a very healthy person other than that isolated incident. I would like to think it was just a fluke since I generally get up multiple times and move around on a plane, and I figit around while I sit.  Who knows.

I have to chime in as I work in a blood clot related field...

There are lots of risk factors for getting a clot (I wouldn't assume you are ok bc you fidget. Get up and walk around!) including:
-smoking
-use of oral contraceptives
-water consumption (drinking water is helpful)
-physical activity (ie lack of)
-surgery & hospitalization
-past history (yours and family)

You really want to be concerned if you are flight over 4 hours and have any of the other risk factors. Get up and walk around on any flight if you can and definitely any above 2-3 hours.

We think about clots on planes a lot but most are actually a result of being in the hospital or having surgery. Definitely talk to your doctor any time you have surgery or are hospitalized to see how to reduce your risk of clots, 2/3 of all blood clots are related to hospitalization!

Interestingly enough, many runners think they are ok because they are physically active but it can actually be a huge risk if you run a marathon and then get on a plane or are very inactive the next day or shortly after. If you travel to marathons, be careful!

Public service announcement concluded.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 02:41:01 PM »
Really good info.  Thanks!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 09:41:51 AM »
Interestingly enough, many runners think they are ok because they are physically active but it can actually be a huge risk if you run a marathon and then get on a plane or are very inactive the next day or shortly after. If you travel to marathons, be careful!

Have never run a marathon but yeah I can imagine that this could be dangerous for many people. Some runners I know will fly in to a city a few days before the marathon to acclimate and then fly out the day afterwards. I don't know if it is due to needing to get back to work, but I can imagine that this could be bad for their recovery and wish that they would take an extra day and walk around...though I imagine that could be quite uncomfortable for their aching legs.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 09:55:44 AM »
I loved this quote from the Skydiver:

“I always did something really boring with my tax refund each year, mostly just paying off credit cards. But this year I decided I was going to spend it on something fun,” Narramore said.

Paying off his credit cards is just too boring for this rad dude so he's going to keep that huge CC balance rolling this year in order to go skydiving. YOLO! His debt reduction plan probably includes faking his own death during a jump.
It's sad that he doesn't realize that he probably ALREADY did something fun when he racked up the CC bills in the first place.