Author Topic: 1.1 miles is too far to walk  (Read 36617 times)

littlebird

• Stubble
1.1 miles is too far to walk
« on: November 10, 2015, 08:54:49 AM »
We just moved to Boston and in order to stay within our housing budget we're living 1.1 miles from the train station and bar area. Though I'd rather be a bit closer in, when we rented this place I considered that totally walkable. On Friday night we met up with a few friends for drinks and they asked us if we drove. 1.1 miles on a clear, warm, Fall evening. They were shocked and appalled that we walked. Everyone else we've talked to has expressed disappointment in how far out we are from the T, like we're living in Siberia. Doesn't anybody in this town walk anywhere?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: 1.1 miles is too far to walk
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 08:59:03 AM »
A mile is a bit farther than most people would prefer to move. I visited my cousin this past week and wanted to go check out a used bookstore that was .8 miles away and so I walked. There was a light-rail station that could have saved about half a mile, but I decided to enjoy the beautiful day. Timewise if I missed it, it likely wouldn't have saved any time anyways, but he was shocked that I would walk that far.

A mile isn't too bad, walking it a few times a day would help give you more exercise and fresh air, though Boston winters are pretty rough so it may not be safe to do all year-round.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 09:34:30 AM »
When I lived in Boston metro (I moved away last year) I was 1/2 a mile from the grocery store, 2/3 of a mile from the subway and 1 mile from work. It's fine to walk most of the time, but it does suck pretty hard in the winter if there is a lot of ice and snow. People don't clear the sidewalks like they are supposed to, or they park their cars in the crosswalks when there are big snow banks, or you end up with a mini skating rink on the sidewalk when it melts and refreezes, etc.

I had the option of taking the bus to a couple of different subway stations + my job if there was some reason I didn't want to walk, so it wasn't a big deal.

I'm a little worried about your friends if "shocked and appalled" isn't hyperbole on your part, though... LOL. That's the sort of emotion I reserve for things like genocide.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 09:41:08 AM »
Good lord.  We are FIRE and we walk 2 miles every morning just because it's nice to be outside.

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 09:43:24 AM »
My in-laws live just under a mile from two different commercial strips with lots of good restaurants, and it's become something of a running joke when we visit that I always suggest that we walk to dinner, and get voted down every single time.

Wins: my DH will now walk either direction with me if it's just the two of us when we're back (we were actually just eyeing this bar that we want to hit again when we're back for Xmas, it's about 1.3 mi, and he said "yeah, if the weather doesn't suck we can totally walk up there." - victory is mine!)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »
I walk my dog further than that every evening after doing my workout.  You need friends who aren't such giant pussies.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 10:00:49 AM »
My in-laws live just under a mile from two different commercial strips with lots of good restaurants, and it's become something of a running joke when we visit that I always suggest that we walk to dinner, and get voted down every single time.

Maybe if you know that the place will be busy you can ask the in-laws to drive there and try to get a table while you walk? That way you're getting exercise and building up a happy appetite. Plus you can always get a ride back from your in-laws should you chose to.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 10:44:02 AM »
The light rail station is about 1.5 miles from my house. It only takes me 5-10 minutes longer to walk home rather than ride the bus (usually about a 10 minute wait between train and bus). When I ride transit both ways to work, I usually purchase a pass ($6/day) and ride the bus both ways (but frequently walk several stops closer to home before I stop to wait for the bus); however, sometimes my wife drops me off at work, so I ride the train to the light rail station and walk home instead of buying an additional $2.50/trip fare.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 10:53:39 AM »
We just moved to Boston and in order to stay within our housing budget we're living 1.1 miles from the train station and bar area. Though I'd rather be a bit closer in, when we rented this place I considered that totally walkable. On Friday night we met up with a few friends for drinks and they asked us if we drove. 1.1 miles on a clear, warm, Fall evening. They were shocked and appalled that we walked. Everyone else we've talked to has expressed disappointment in how far out we are from the T, like we're living in Siberia. Doesn't anybody in this town walk anywhere?

not sure who you are friends with, but i have lived in boston for four years and everyone walks and bikes here. perhaps you should be more selective

cube.37

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 10:58:16 AM »
I live a mile from the closest T stop, and my friends don't come over often because its too far/out of the way. Luckily, we have plenty of ubers in the city, so they'll uber to our place whenever they do come over..haha..

To be fair, we sometimes have to take the uber home if we're out with friends and happen to lose track of time and miss the last train.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »
When I don't live at my office (yup, I have been an office hobo for over two years now...), I house-sit and dog-sit a huge Akita two weeks out of every month. Great arrangement that allows me to sleep on a real bed for a change, which also includes free food and free use of the vehicle, which I rarely take advantage of...My office is 3.7 km away and I prefer biking, but the big furry guy hates biking and runs away from me as soon as he sees me holding the bike contraption, so I now walk with him that distance twice a day, morning and evening, summer and winter. That walk, particularly on a dark and cold January morning when everything is black and still and the temperature is hovering around -45, is the highlight of my day.

Bellatrix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 01:40:07 PM »
There is a reason why most people are fat.....

When I was in middle school, I walked 45 minutes to get to baseball practice.  Walking a mile is nothing. 

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 01:49:03 PM »
You're shitting us right?    I walk 1.5 to 2.5  miles per day just to move around.   Can't imagine a young person thinking that is far. 

What is that about 15 minutes? 

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 01:51:08 PM »
I admit, I'm impatient so 1 mile is right about at my threshold for biking instead.

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 01:51:17 PM »
A mile is not that far. At our old place we used to live 1.5 miles from the library. I used to walk it with my baby in a baby carrier, though the lack of a stroller did cut down on how many books I could carry. When she got older she rode her balance bike, and we often took a break at the elementary school. It was good practice for moving to Germany, we ride our bikes or walk everywhere here.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 02:43:02 PM »
I'm friends with some co-workers who live right near me and we used to walk to work together. It's about 25 minutes. One day I google mapped it and made the mistake of mentioning to them that it was about 1.1 miles, so we were getting some decent exercise. They never wanted to walk any more. Apparently a mile is a big psychological barrier.

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 03:02:18 PM »
It is too far so I bicycle

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »
I think people are more comfortable with the idea of walking 20-30 mins instead of walking 1-1.5 miles. Even though it's The Same Thing.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 03:28:01 PM »
I have two potential walks that I could/should do.  One is 1.1 miles (groceries ~20min) and the other is 2.2 miles to (work ~45min).

I have done both once maybe twice in my life when I have lots of time.

I have lots of excuses like carrying groceries, worrying about being sweaty when I get to work. Having to carry a change of shoes &/or clothes.

Worrying about it being too dark or cold.  Thinking I will wait for spring then try.

Mad there is not a better direct path to work.  Mad about the stairs, hills or traffic. Mad that the huge parking lot for the grocery store is only car and not pedestrian friendly.   Wishing I was a bird.

In a former life & city (about 6 years ago) I walked everywhere. No car, no complaints.

I just wanted to confess how pathetic I am today, and I may be motivated to try.

littlebird

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 05:40:15 PM »
Maybe "appalled" is a bit of an exaggeration, but they were certainly shocked :). We're averaging about 22 minutes at a comfortable pace which is a pretty nice bit of exercise to shake off the cobwebs without getting sweaty. There's a bus that would cut off half of that walk but doesn't save any time so we usually just walk. This winter on nasty days I probably will ride the bus. It's borderline for me at that distance whether it's worth it to ride my bike (once you add in time to get the bike out, time to lock it and worry over theft). Any further and I would absolutely ride since we're in a pretty flat part of town. 

Even the people we're meeting through sports are saying that we're way further from the T than they'd ever want to live, which has been surprising to me. I mean, these people are fit, active, late-20s/early-30s folks but they apparently don't like to walk!

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 06:18:17 PM »
Ha, speaking of Boston, this reminds me of an anecdote.
When I was living in Tokyo, a friend of mine was getting married and he invited friends of his from the US. I was in charge, with another friend, of guiding them in Tokyo from the wedding location to the "after party" bar. We told them "it's a bit of a walk, would you rather take the subway?" to which they replied "we're from Boston, we can walk".

After 10 minutes, they were complaining about their feet, the heat, and the distance.

I don't know what's special about Boston or why they thought they can walk better than other people in the US, but from the Tokyoite perspective, we weren't really impressed :)

It was a 20~30 minutes walk, by the way.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 07:03:35 PM »
I lived for five years in Boston.

I don't know where you meet such whiny namby-pambies.

Everyone I knew walked. Half hour through snow and slush and freezing weather to school, half hour back, completely normal for most people I knew. Delightful in the summer, less so in the winter, but we all walked. Now, we probably wouldn't want to walk more than a mile and a half each way when the weather was rotten, but we walked all over the city when the weather was nice - school to the charles to other schools to bars and restaurants to live music to back bay to north station to the north end to wherever else.

Admittedly, when uber came along, a lot of people stopped taking the beer scooter home. So it goes.

cawiau

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2015, 07:44:24 PM »
You need new friends. We moved to MA in 2012 right outside of Boston. My wife takes the T into work and have to walk 1.5 miles to her job after she gets off.

It's Boston: everyone walks or rides a bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanuki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2015, 06:23:51 AM »
Haha! In London I live 0.8 miles from the bus stop and I didn't even consider it as a distance - just 'down the road'. If I've got time I often walk the 3.7 miles home from work just because it's a nice way to pass the time! I suppose if you have a long journey on the train once you get there then a 20 minute walk does add to your commuting time quite a bit, but it saves you time (and money) in the gym! 

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2015, 06:54:11 AM »
Had to check, as I used to walk to Davis Square to catch the subway into Boston... 0.9 miles - I considered it a decent sized walk, but certainly nothing that would discourage me from moving to that apartment. Since I sit at a desk all day, it was welcomed most days

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2015, 07:30:01 AM »
Weird. We have our 'close' grocery store...about 0.75 mile, and our 'far' and less pleasant grocery store...1.2 miles. Unless I'm doing a big grocery run in the car, I walk to the one that is farthest away, mainly because that way I don't have to cross 2 very busy streets. I'd rather walk that extra bit than deal with lots of noise, traffic, and car fumes. We also walk to the same locations for breakfast most Sundays. This is NOT a long walk. I walk nearly that far most days for my evening constitutional!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2015, 08:04:30 AM »
What is it with the aversion to walking?  My husband's friends get pissed at him for not taking the closest parking spot when they go somewhere.  Even when I was fat and out of shape I got a reputation of some sort as a walker.  One day I had a couple of my coworkers interns helping me in the field.  We took a couple leisurely strolls through the woods on a cool, drizzly day to look at specific streams.  Maybe hiked 1.5 miles total all day?  Keep in mind these were college guys trying to get into outdoorsy careers.  Coworker told me a few days later that his interns didn't want to help me with field work again "because she will walk you to DEATH.". And I'm sure these guys fancy themselves hunters and mountain men too.  Hahahahahaha.

chubbybunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2015, 08:15:07 AM »
How many of these friends also pay for a gym membership?  It is pretty funny to see people on a nice sunny day, driving to the gym to work out.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2015, 08:20:33 AM »
How many of these friends also pay for a gym membership?  It is pretty funny to see people on a nice sunny day, driving to the gym to work out.
If they are driving to the gym just to run on a treadmill then i agree with you. If it is to lift well then i can't blame them.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2015, 08:29:21 AM »
Yeah was going to ask if these friends run for exercise.  1.1 miles is not much of a run.  But there is an odd physiology that running 4 miles is not crazy far (for a half fit runner) but walking 4 miles seems way farther especially when the walk has a goal ie get somewhere for dinner and the run is just to get exercise.  Also it may depend on where these friends grew up or have lived, many many areas are not walking friendly and no one would think of walking somewhere because there are no sidewalks on busy roads or the nearest anything is 5 miles.  Might just have to trick them into walking it once or twice to show how easy it is.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2015, 08:46:23 AM »
If they are driving to the gym just to run on a treadmill then i agree with you. If it is to lift well then i can't blame them.

Not to mention that some gyms have pools, like mine does. I pay $20 a month, which is refunded by my insurance (less taxes of course) so it is worth it for me even if I am just using the treadmill. To me, it is the difference between working out and not as during the winter here in Minnesota it takes nearly all willpower to get me to go out and run at 6 am when it's negative windshield.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 12:09:20 PM »
The past few Sundays DH has opted to walk home after church (3 miles) while I take the boys to Religious Ed and do my grocery shopping (5+ miles in the other direction, and time is an issue).  This week, someone he knew drove up and offered him a ride, thinking DH'd had car trouble or something.  When the driver turned around and headed back the way he came, DH realized this person had made a special trip, and wasn't just going by.

That said, we don't walk nearly as much as we did when we lived in the city.  We are on a narrow rural road, but a major N/S route so busy and 55 mph with no shoulders, let alone sidewalks.  In good weather in daylight we walk for exercise.  In winter you are taking your life in your hands when plows come by.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2015, 12:18:22 PM »
Since it's free food day, I biked up to a restaurant.  I was sitting at the bar eating my deep fried protein and over cooked fiber, listening in on a conversation next to me.  Fellow was talking about his new get in shape routine.  He was bragging about driving to the track and walking the full 1/2 mile every day this week.  I suppose kudos to him for doing something.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2015, 12:10:55 PM »
We were out with our 2.5 year old twins out for a walk around our neighborhood, when we met some of our new neighbors (we just moved to the area). When we explained where we lived, one replied 'Oh, you're out on a long walk, then.'

The entire loop is about 1.5 miles. My kids ran most of it. 

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2015, 02:45:59 PM »
I've noticed from living in a walkable city that the trick is to say "15 minute walk" not "1 mile walk."

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2015, 02:50:39 PM »
We have two smallish kids and will sometimes (sorry, we don't always do it! Ha!) walk the .7 mile trip to their grandparents' house.  I'm always amused when we are fussed over for having walked all that way and how they offer to drive us home after - it is uphill going back but it's fine as long as there's light out and the weather is good. 

If my 3 year old can do it, I think most healthy adults should be able to do it. 

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »
I've noticed from living in a walkable city that the trick is to say "15 minute walk" not "1 mile walk."

I cant remember but I think the maps at every intersection in London have two rings that shows how far you can walk in 7 min and 15 min; 'distance' is shown in time not 'miles'.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2015, 03:26:20 PM »
What is it with the aversion to walking?  My husband's friends get pissed at him for not taking the closest parking spot when they go somewhere.  Even when I was fat and out of shape I got a reputation of some sort as a walker.  One day I had a couple of my coworkers interns helping me in the field.  We took a couple leisurely strolls through the woods on a cool, drizzly day to look at specific streams.  Maybe hiked 1.5 miles total all day?  Keep in mind these were college guys trying to get into outdoorsy careers.  Coworker told me a few days later that his interns didn't want to help me with field work again "because she will walk you to DEATH.". And I'm sure these guys fancy themselves hunters and mountain men too.  Hahahahahaha.

That's funny.  When I lived in Arlington VA, the first year I had a one mile walk to work (half to the metro at home, and half to work at the other end).  Then later, just one mile walk to work.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2015, 04:35:50 PM »
The past few Sundays DH has opted to walk home after church (3 miles) while I take the boys to Religious Ed and do my grocery shopping (5+ miles in the other direction, and time is an issue).  This week, someone he knew drove up and offered him a ride, thinking DH'd had car trouble or something.  When the driver turned around and headed back the way he came, DH realized this person had made a special trip, and wasn't just going by.

My husband and I share a car. At my previous job, I worked on a military installation to which my husband didn't have access. So after work, I'd walk to the gate - probably about half the length of a football field - and he'd pick me up right outside. I cannot count the number of times coworkers driving by would stop and offer me a ride (even the ones who knew I was just walking to the gate), or even more amazing, the ones that thought I was strange for walking. Even my outta-shape rear can walk 50 yards in beautiful Hawaiian weather.*

*Disclaimer: I did ask for a ride one time when it was pouring down rain (right after a tropical storm had passed through) and I'd forgotten my umbrella. Told you I'm not hard-core. :)

Homey The Clown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2015, 05:55:19 PM »

I cant remember but I think the maps at every intersection in London have two rings that shows how far you can walk in 7 min and 15 min; 'distance' is shown in time not 'miles'.

Ha. In Tallahassee, there is such a map and the only ring is for a 15 minute walk. It does say below that the ring represents 1/4 mile. Even if count it as being 1/3 of a mile since you have to use blocks and not straight lines, who walks that slow?

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2015, 07:42:32 PM »
I hate walking very far, but don't mind jogging the same distance. For some reason walking makes me feel tired.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2015, 07:45:48 PM »
I walk my dog further than that every evening after doing my workout.  You need friends who aren't such giant pussies.

Or maybe they are TINY ones. Either way, you are due for a friend upgrade.

Homey The Clown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2015, 08:29:42 PM »

I've seen what a pussy is capable of. Since then I've stopped thinking of it as an insult.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2015, 08:31:42 PM »
1.1 miles is an excellent commuting distance on a bike.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2015, 08:43:38 PM »

I've seen what a pussy is capable of. Since then I've stopped thinking of it as an insult.

Pusillanimous. "You're a pussy" refers to that word.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2015, 12:39:55 AM »

Pusillanimous. "You're a pussy" refers to that word.

Gimps and clowns and tiny things walking 1.1 miles? It must be a parade.

richyf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2015, 04:56:59 AM »
No, it's not too far to walk.

This is the distance I walk to and from the train station every day on my commute. It takes me just under 20 minutes at a brisk pace and gives me time to wake up and wind down.

Cycling would be more efficient but I have a sit down job and walking helps me to loosen up after being seated all day.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2015, 08:13:30 AM »

That's funny.  When I lived in Arlington VA, the first year I had a one mile walk to work (half to the metro at home, and half to work at the other end).  Then later, just one mile walk to work.
I remember interviewing for a job in Arlington, and I couldn't find the entrance to the building. I called and asked, and they said "which garage are you in?" "Uh, none of them. I'm by the big sign with the company's name." "Well go park then call back." "I'm not driving" "What?" "I took the bus and walked a few blocks over here. Where's the door?" "Oh, uh... walk into a parking garage, and then..."

Mr Money Mutton Chops

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2015, 10:56:03 AM »
I'm Canadian, so during winter, it's too cold to really walk places. But during the rest of the year, I like to walk places. But yes, even a short walk is too much. I know people who spend twice as long waiting for a bus as it would take just to walk places.... Yet somehow the people who walk places are the crazy ones.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2015, 11:51:41 AM »
I'm Canadian, so during winter, it's too cold to really walk places.

I'm going to have to call BS on this claim.  Not that it's not cold or that your not Canadian, but that there is such a thing as "too cold to really walk places".  I was in an extreme cold weather unit when I was in the USMC, so I learned some tricks & own some gear most people wouldn't know about; but I've also put those tricks into practice.  I commuted by bike for over three years straight, 8.5 miles each direction.  I also worked the second shift, so my commute home was always after dark.  There were some pretty chilly winter rides home, without the benefit of direct sun.  One in particular was right after a major ice storm in the area, when the air temps got below -10 F.  It was so cold, that the grease in my wheel bearings was starting to gel, and made the ride even more work than normal.  I would not voluntarily do that again, but I did do it, and without losing any fingers or toes; so I can attest that it's possible to dress for the weather.  And with practice & patience, riding a bike on ice isn't as dangerous as it would seem, either.  It was easier to stay upright on the bike moving with caution than walking.