Author Topic: "The Sport of Shopping": Terrible Kohls Commercials  (Read 3739 times)

mrmoneygoatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

MrSaturday

• Stubble
Re: "The Sport of Shopping": Terrible Kohls Commercials
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:35:24 AM »
Too much risk of financial injury.  Add this to the list of sports I'd rather watch than participate in.

Guitarist

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
I'm still laughing over the fact that the writer of the article is not upset about the absurdity of the campaign. Not upset that these are figures that young people (especially girls) look up to and respect, making a mockery of their actual accomplishments and end up promoting consumerism while they get paid for the ad (selling out). No, the issue they have is that it's women promoting shopping. This is what segmenting a society gets us?

mrmoneygoatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »
Ha, right. The ONLY reason it is offensive is because of the stereotype of women enjoying shopping...

I just saw the "shopping is addictive" (as if that is a good thing) ad on TV and searched for it and found this article that consolidated all three in one spot. That's why I posted this particular article.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:56 AM »
I don't shop at Kohls for a few reasons, but the biggest is the nasty system they have of sales, rewards, advertisements, etc.  I feel like they are such a strong example of what is wrong with shopping today that I'd rather not go there.  It's like buying jewelry at the discount shop in the mall.  Who the hell knows what quality you're getting, where it's from, whether it's a fair deal.

This is just another reason...

mrmoneygoatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:59:56 AM »
Or the fact that when you check out they say things like, "You saved $xyz. Congratulations, you just saved more than you spent."

Ummm, really? How is that possible when I have less money now than when I came into the store? I don't think you understand what "save" means...

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 09:42:07 PM »
Or the fact that when you check out they say things like, "You saved $xyz. Congratulations, you just saved more than you spent."

Ummm, really? How is that possible when I have less money now than when I came into the store? I don't think you understand what "save" means...

My partner (whom I no longer commingle funds with) wanted to go shopping the other day, and dragged me along with him.  He bought Diesel underwear at Marshall's, so he got it for a lot less than he would have if he'd bought it elsewhere (which for him is a step in the right direction at least, because he used to buy stuff like that at Nordstrom).  He bragged about how much he saved.  I told him that I saved even more than he did, and he was like "How?  You didn't even buy anything!"  "Exactly!" I replied.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 07:55:55 AM »
People often misuse that, but I think it's fine to use "saved" as spent less if it's on an item you were going to buy anyways.

Buying a new shirt you wouldn't have because it's 50% off, so you "saved" $50 (or whatever) is false.

But if you, say, used a coupon at the grocery store to buy vegetables you would have anyways, I think it's legitimate to say you "saved" $10.

My two cents, YMMV.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.