Author Topic: "Tea Party historian says Bible commands humans to work until death"  (Read 17296 times)

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: "Tea Party historian says Bible commands humans to work until death"
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2015, 12:26:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure this must be tough-in-check, because it's too idiotic for anyone to actually think it's true. The Holy See Neil DeGrasse Tyson, lol. That was pretty funny. I refuse to believe that anyone is dumb enough to think this is a reasonable argument.

Thank you for the personal attack.  I love when I win easy victories in debates.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure this must be tough-in-check, because it's too idiotic for anyone to actually think it's true. The Holy See Neil DeGrasse Tyson, lol. That was pretty funny. I refuse to believe that anyone is dumb enough to think this is a reasonable argument.

Thank you for the personal attack.  I love when I win easy victories in debates.

I didn't attack your person, I just said your argument is stupid. And I honestly thought it must be a joke, and a reasonably funny one at that.

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people"
- Mr Garrison
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 12:44:34 PM by Scandium »

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2015, 01:30:57 PM »

EDITED because things are unnecessarily ugly today and I don't want to be part of the problem.

MoneyCat - I don't support personal attacks either but some of what you posted earlier was both disingenuous and insulting to an entire class of people. I would respectfully request that you try to see things from the other side of that, and I also encourage you to consider the possibility that not all atheists are exactly like the angry evangelistic ones you know on TV.

Zephyr out :P
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 01:38:38 PM by zephyr911 »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »
I've started a Jesus's Anonymous group so we can go to weekly meetings and discuss how to get him out of our lives.  If anyone would like to join JA with me just send me a PM.  I was sitting under an apple tree when a book fell on my head it was called - an atheists guide to life -  this will become our book and we will move to hawaii and start a church.  BAR
I'm planning on buying the tiniest shittiest place in HI that I can afford, sometime in the next couple of years. I'll fully support this.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2015, 01:45:11 PM »

EDITED because things are unnecessarily ugly today and I don't want to be part of the problem.

MoneyCat - I don't support personal attacks either but some of what you posted earlier was both disingenuous and insulting to an entire class of people. I would respectfully request that you try to see things from the other side of that, and I also encourage you to consider the possibility that not all atheists are exactly like the angry evangelistic ones you know on TV.

And I would respectfully add that MoneyCat's definition of 'winning' is strange if they believe it involves presenting an incorrect and incoherent 'argument' and then patting themselves on the back about the inevitable rubber-necking disbelief the statement engenders.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2015, 04:09:42 PM »

And I would respectfully add that MoneyCat's definition of 'winning' is strange if they believe it involves presenting an incorrect and incoherent 'argument' and then patting themselves on the back about the inevitable rubber-necking disbelief the statement engenders.

That pretty much describes Charlie Sheen, doesn't it?

I'm an atheist and I found MoneyCat's description of atheism very silly, so silly that I too thought it was a joke. If having a Facebook group makes you a religion, then my high school is a religion and so is my bicycling club.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2015, 04:20:02 PM »
Mostly Solomon's pieces - even though he was a ridiculous spendypants
To be fair he did have 700 wives and 300 mistresses - the bill for flowers alone is a killer

I love the fact that I am on a site where when Solomon is mentioned it is in the context of being a ridiculous spendy-pants. Perhaps we could start another topic on "Religious Figures and Their Finances - Do They Live Up to Mustachian Principles?"

ryan114

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2015, 05:20:13 PM »
For millennia, the church has tried to get people to have more babies (restricting contraception, etc) to increase the number in the church. Now they are trying to get them to make more money too. Could it be so they have more to give to the church?

That sounds plausible.:)

Boo. I'm going to have to move to Babylon.

Careful. They're having a war at the moment...

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2015, 08:29:24 AM »

Hold on a sec.  Your post wasn't a joke?  You seriously meant the following:

Quote from: MoneyCat
Atheism is absolutely a religion.  They have a Pope (Neil DeGrasse Tyson), Cardinals and other Clergy (Ricky Gervais, Richard Dawkins, etc.)  Atheists believe in the mystical power of meta-physics which cannot be proven or disproven.  They have religious texts written by their clergy (Books about anti-theism).  They have churches where they meet (Facebook groups, internet forums, etc.)  It's really funny to observe all this, when atheists are so adamant about not being religious.

You don't get to post something this wrong and ignorant about someone else's (non)beliefs and then complain about them fighting back.  I guess the amusing thing is that none of the atheists flagged your post as abusive, probably because the assumption was that it was a joke, while several people flagged the response.

No, my friend.  The personal attack started with your (apparently non-joking) gross mischaracterization of atheism.

Toque.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2015, 08:43:35 AM »
Perhaps we could start another topic on "Religious Figures and Their Finances - Do They Live Up to Mustachian Principles?"
Runs own construction business for for 6 days then retires ...

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2015, 08:57:06 AM »

Atheism is absolutely a religion.  They have a Pope (Neil DeGrasse Tyson), Cardinals and other Clergy (Ricky Gervais, Richard Dawkins, etc.)  Atheists believe in the mystical power of meta-physics which cannot be proven or disproven.  They have religious texts written by their clergy (Books about anti-theism).  They have churches where they meet (Facebook groups, internet forums, etc.)  It's really funny to observe all this, when atheists are so adamant about not being religious.

You don't get to post something this wrong and ignorant about someone else's (non)beliefs and then complain about them fighting back.  I guess the amusing thing is that none of the atheists flagged your post as abusive, probably because the assumption was that it was a joke, while several people flagged the response.

No, my friend.  The personal attack started with your (apparently non-joking) gross mischaracterization of atheism.

Toque.

Though in full disclosure, I do have rather a crush on Tyson...and not in a pope-like way. Come to think, I also have a little crush on the Pope LOL! Maybe I'm just a slut! (We atheists are like that, of course. NO MORALS).

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2015, 09:03:08 AM »

Toque.

Though in full disclosure, I do have rather a crush on Tyson...and not in a pope-like way. Come to think, I also have a little crush on the Pope LOL! Maybe I'm just a slut! (We atheists are like that, of course. NO MORALS).

meh, the new pope is lame. The last guy was so much better!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2015, 10:50:48 AM »
Oh, yes, let's have a discussion about Thor.  But which Thor? The Iron Druid Thor? The Urban Shaman Thor?  Or some other Thor?

OK, I'll be serious.  ;-)  Although still a bit OT.

Agnostics seem to be under-represented here.  Basically it is a "who knows?" sort of thing.  No one comes back from the beyond to tell us (except in fiction, Hi Kris).  I know, we are supposed to "have faith".   But if we are a group that examines how we live our lives financially instead of going with the flow, we should expect to find people on here who also examine other aspects of their lives critically.

Wasn't the Protestant Reformation all about rejecting religious authority?  It seems it only went part way - the Catholic Church and Papal Infallibility was rejected, but the bible (old collection of stories, plus then another collection of slightly more recent stories) was still accepted as authority.  My view may be jaundiced, I grew up Anglican, and may be a little skeptical given the origins of the Anglican Church.

By the way, the only person I had ever heard of in the original list (Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Ricky Gervais, Richard Dawkins) is Richard Dawkins.  His genetics work added to biologists' understanding of natural selection at the molecular level.  New genetic understanding (i.e. junk DNA, male sterility genes in plants, etc.) was not a surprise based on his work.
And, biologists (and other scientists) do not have to automatically be atheists or agnostics -  as Stephen Jay Gould mentioned in one of his books (Rock of Ages, I think, this is all from memory), one of the Popes said that science and religion are different domains, and what is valid in one (either one) is irrelevant to the other.  Non-overlapping magisteria was the term - and one can accept or reject, but it is definitely an interesting way of looking at things.

Atheists have yet to convince me that their religion has any value.
Atheism is by definition not a religion. It is the lack of a belief in any deities. Occasionally one does encounter atheists with behavior resembling that of religious people, but I can't speak for them; I can only speak to the total lack of justification for generalizing that behavior to all of us.
Babies are all born atheist. Some are later conditioned to become otherwise.

Note that I'm not arguing against the existence of whatever god you believe in, nor do we have to get into that right now. I'm not really into that stuff anyway. But the above are common misconceptions and misrepresentations that should be avoided, regardless of your beliefs or opinions.

Atheist means the person don't believe in supernatural beings. That's it. They have no other common features. Might as well have a group for people who don't believe in unicorns. Or the group I'm sure you belong to: people who don't believe in the existence of Thor/Jupiter/Zeus? I don't walk around every day thinking about by disbelief, or pondering the non-existence of gods. Or read tomes about the lack of supernatural beings. 

Do you read books about, and go to meetings to discuss your disbelief in Thor? Thought not. It's the same for many (most?) atheists.

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2015, 05:31:37 PM »
You haven't heard of Neil DeGrasse Tyson? 

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2015, 05:35:19 PM »
You haven't heard of Neil DeGrasse Tyson? 

The odds must be astronomical!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2015, 08:33:37 AM »
I know we are going OT, but . . .

Neil DeGrasse Tyson - he is an astro-physicist.  I am a biologist/ecologist, Carl Sagan is as far as I go in that direction.  Local astornomy is much more relevant - sun cycles and solar output and earth solar radiation are more relevant for me (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150709092955.htm)

Names - David Pimentel/David Suzuki/Ada Lovelace/Rachel Carson/Mary Anning/Mary and Louise Leakey/Alice Wilson/John Muir/John Smol/Stephen Jay Gould/ Niles Eldredge/Diane Fossey/Lynn Margulis/L. L. Langstroth/C. D. Walcott    etc. etc.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2015, 08:58:24 AM »

I believe the relevant quote in this context is "Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2015, 04:27:28 PM »

I believe the relevant quote in this context is "Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
Yeah and? You mean you don't go to local meetings every Wednesday to talk about all the stamps you're not collecting? And compare your lack of stamp collections? Or read books about stamps people aren't collecting?

Come join us aphilatelyists!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 05:02:45 PM by Scandium »

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2015, 05:07:51 PM »
Yeah and? You mean you don't go to local meetings every Wednesday to talk about all the stamps you're not collecting? And compare your lack of stamp collections? Or read books about stamps people aren't collecting?
Come join us aphilatelyists!
Depends, are you strict orthodox aphilatelyists or reform?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2015, 07:43:40 AM »
I love the fact that I am on a site where when Solomon is mentioned it is in the context of being a ridiculous spendy-pants.
Even in the conventional view of Solomon, a good portion of the lesson of his life is in his learning that the obsessive pursuit of massive wealth, sex and entertainment ("all the delights of the heart of man") is meaningless and unfulfilling. I still hang onto this one: "A man can do no better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work".

God: the original Mustachian.

I liked Tyson's Cosmos reboot but I can't get into StarTalk... I'm not sure if it's style or content, it just hasn't clicked with me.

My wife and I both follow quite a bit of what Francis is doing: her because she's a lapsed Catholic from Argentina and he worked in her hometown for years, and me because I *love* that he has a science background, is trying to make positive changes on issues I care about, and has developed a penchant for pissing off anti-science corporate shills (like the titular TP wankers) in the U.S.
I joked after DW read me the introduction to the latest encyclical (Laudate Si) that apparently I'm now Catholic. (I think we're down to only two major sticking points, population control and the existence of deities... think we can work shit out? xD)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2015, 07:46:07 AM »
I love the fact that I am on a site where when Solomon is mentioned it is in the context of being a ridiculous spendy-pants.
Even in the conventional view of Solomon, a good portion of the lesson of his life is in his learning that the obsessive pursuit of massive wealth, sex and entertainment ("all the delights of the heart of man") is meaningless and unfulfilling. I still hang onto this one: "A man can do no better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work".

God: the original Mustachian.

I liked Tyson's Cosmos reboot but I can't get into StarTalk... I'm not sure if it's style or content, it just hasn't clicked with me.

My wife and I both follow quite a bit of what Francis is doing: her because she's a lapsed Catholic from Argentina and he worked in her hometown for years, and me because I *love* that he has a science background, is trying to make positive changes on issues I care about, and has developed a penchant for pissing off anti-science corporate shills (like the titular TP wankers) in the U.S.
I joked after DW read me the introduction to the latest encyclical (Laudate Si) that apparently I'm now Catholic. (I think we're down to only two major sticking points, population control and the existence of deities... think we can work shit out? xD)

LOL...I'm feeling similarly optimistic!