Author Topic: "Tax-Refund Delay Threatens Super-Bowl TV Purchases"  (Read 8247 times)

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
"Tax-Refund Delay Threatens Super-Bowl TV Purchases"
« on: February 03, 2017, 10:50:13 AM »
WSJ Headline: "Tax-Refund Delay Threatens Super-Bowl TV Purchases"

I think that pretty much says it all

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: "Tax-Refund Delay Threatens Super-Bowl TV Purchases"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 10:52:39 AM »
Almost might be an Onion headline.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 11:03:14 AM »
It's actually a pretty interesting article, in spite of the antimustachian title.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/super-bowl-tv-sales-face-fuzzy-reception-1486117805

Although there is one quote in it, from a low-income family, that would be worthy of the Onion:
When Carolyn Mae Brown, a 29-year-old stay-at-home mom in Maryville, Tenn., received an early refund last year, she and her husband used it to buy a $1,000 electric piano and put the rest toward their savings.

“We always try to make at least one big purchase a year,” she said, but they are holding off for now, since her husband is out of work and they haven’t gotten their refund check.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 11:03:34 AM »
A threat to the American way of life!

Kiwi Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 11:46:42 AM »
Delay? I've already received my Federal and State (Massachusetts) refunds.

I have now adjusted my withholding so I won't (hopefully) receive a refund next year. No more interest free loans for the IRS from me.

Also, I'm not a sport person - but my coworker informs me that there is a SuperbOwl each year. Do people replace their TVs annually?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 11:47:23 AM »
Tis the season for these ads. I don't know what makes me more sad - ads that scream "come blow your refund on our crap!" or testimonials of folks who would be financially insolvent if not for their tax refund.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 12:25:56 PM »
I'm glad I watch either PBS or pre-recorded or streaming TV that is ad-free. Oh the mental peace. Ignorance truly is bliss.

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 12:32:43 PM »

I have now adjusted my withholding so I won't (hopefully) receive a refund next year. No more interest free loans for the IRS from me.

Also, I'm not a sport person - but my coworker informs me that there is a SuperbOwl each year. Do people replace their TVs annually?

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/refund-timing

"Beginning in 2017, if you claim the EITC or ACTC on your tax return, the IRS must hold your refund until Feb. 15. This new law requires the IRS to hold the entire refund — even the portion not associated with the EITC or ACTC.
the IRS cautions taxpayers that these refunds likely won’t arrive in bank accounts or debit cards until the week of February 27"

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 12:49:57 PM »
Do people replace their TVs annually?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »
I don't even have all of the paperwork I need to file yet. Stupid 1099s hither and yon.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »
I don't even have all of the paperwork I need to file yet. Stupid 1099s hither and yon.

Same. I won't even be filing until the end of the month due to investment paperwork. Mustachian problems...

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 01:11:14 PM »

Same. I won't even be filing until the end of the month due to investment paperwork. Mustachian problems...

I'm just waiting until mid March. I figure there will be one or two surprise forms (like the 1099 from my wife's retirement rollover), and that should allow enough time.

Also, Fidelity dragging their feet with the 1099 from the taxable account.

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »

Yeah, ever year is the same for me.  I usually wait until late March or early April to file taxes for those last minute surprise investment paperwork that tend to pop up in your brokerage email.  Whenever I hear people in the office exclaim, "I knocked out my taxes already!" early in the year, I catch myself wondering how they could to that.  No brokerage firm moves that fast!

But then I remember it's because they're not investing.  *Sigh*

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 01:25:40 PM »
I usually wait until late March or early April to file taxes for those last minute surprise investment paperwork that tend to pop up in your brokerage email.  Whenever I hear people in the office exclaim, "I knocked out my taxes already!" early in the year, I catch myself wondering how they could to that.  No brokerage firm moves that fast!

Or they are investing but only in their retirement accounts! 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 01:27:52 PM »
I bought a TV last week (unrelated to the damn Super Bowl and our first TV since moving into this house two years ago).  It was $219.  43" 1080p Sharp with all the bells and whistles.  TVs are NOT expensive these days, why would you be counting on a tax refund for one?

Kiwi Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »

"Beginning in 2017, if you claim the EITC or ACTC on your tax return, the IRS must hold your refund until Feb. 15. This new law requires the IRS to hold the entire refund — even the portion not associated with the EITC or ACTC.
the IRS cautions taxpayers that these refunds likely won’t arrive in bank accounts or debit cards until the week of February 27"

Ah, babies make taxes more complicated, gotcha. (I had to look those acronyms up. Such a USA tax code noob.)

Do people replace their TVs annually?
Do you not?

No, no, I totally do...well, we replaced our 8 year old TV last year because it died...that counts, right?

I bought a TV last week (unrelated to the damn Super Bowl and our first TV since moving into this house two years ago).  It was $219.  43" 1080p Sharp with all the bells and whistles.  TVs are NOT expensive these days, why would you be counting on a tax refund for one?

I have 4 characters for you: 4K TV

LG - 77" Class (76.7" Diag.) - OLED - 2160p - Smart - 3D - 4K Ultra HD TV with High Dynamic Range - Black Price: $19,999.99. But, hey, free delivery...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:59:56 PM by Kiwi Fuzz »

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »

I always laugh when I hear my older, politically conservative family members complaining about how "all those people in the projects living high on the hog with their flat panel TVs".

You can buy one of those for like sixty bucks at Rite Aid now. It's not a luxury good.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 02:03:01 PM »
I usually wait until late March or early April to file taxes for those last minute surprise investment paperwork that tend to pop up in your brokerage email.  Whenever I hear people in the office exclaim, "I knocked out my taxes already!" early in the year, I catch myself wondering how they could to that.  No brokerage firm moves that fast!

In the military we get free tax services.  The day after W2s come out there is usually a standing room only line formed outside the legal office composed almost entirely of 18-19 year old single soldiers.  A couple years ago I squeezed through this line on my way out of that building laughing - not because of an anti-mustachian thought, but rather remembering when I was that young and my taxes took only 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:01:28 AM by Travis »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 02:20:02 PM »

I always laugh when I hear my older, politically conservative family members complaining about how "all those people in the projects living high on the hog with their flat panel TVs".

You can buy one of those for like sixty bucks at Rite Aid now. It's not a luxury good.

LOL! Yeah, I bought a 55" Toshiba 1080p with Chromecast for $300 delivered. TV's are not expensive nowadays.

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 02:32:11 PM »
LG - 77" Class (76.7" Diag.) - OLED - 2160p - Smart - 3D - 4K Ultra HD TV with High Dynamic Range - Black Price: $19,999.99. But, hey, free delivery...

I'll have to mention that to my bosses boss, he has been planning to get one of those large OLED TVs.  Mind you, he can probably afford it, he is earning north of $300k, with another $100k from his wife.  He is not particularly frugal, but not spendy enough to be using ALL of that I'm pretty sure. :) 

I also wait till later in the season to file a return, got a notice when I was at a previous employer one year that they had to undo part of my 401k contribution because of some stupid "high earners" rule after I had filed and it was a royal pain to have to redo everything, because I was also filing partnership LLC business taxes on my side gig.  I didn't object to the unwinding of the contribution, just that they didn't give anyone a heads up that it might happen so they could wait.  Happened the next year too.  Plus financial institutions like Fidelity seem to be either sending 1099s out later, or revising them these days, I think the rules are getting too complex even for them.  The amount of money I can make by getting and investing a refund a month earlier isn't worth the hassle of filing amended returns.  I typically shoot for some refund because that covers capital gains when I sell something during the year. 

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 03:29:45 PM »
Somewhat related, but last night my wife and I saw an ad for "Super Bowl furniture." It was normal living room furniture (couches, coffee tables, etc). She asked me, "Do people actually buy furniture for the Super Bowl?" My only response was, "Maybe a TV?"

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 03:36:25 PM »
I don't have taxable investment accounts, so got all my forms in and did my taxes earlier this week. $1k back from Fed, $8 from state.  I HATE HATE HATE paying in April, so am ok with some refund. Need to adjust withholding though.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 10:42:29 AM »

But is it free in time for Super-Bowl?!?!? [Probably not anymore]

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2017, 04:47:00 PM »
I still remember about 6 years ago when my parents hosted a Super Bowl party and the TV wasn't working. My dad was freaking out. Thankfully it was an easy fix.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2017, 05:12:50 PM »

I was thinking the opposite...  There's people that get tax refunds before the SuperbOwl?  Normally I'm still receiving required paperwork the last week of March.  It's been as late as April 10th for everything to arrive before, which was especially annoying...

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 08:29:29 PM »

I was thinking the opposite...  There's people that get tax refunds before the SuperbOwl?  Normally I'm still receiving required paperwork the last week of March.  It's been as late as April 10th for everything to arrive before, which was especially annoying...

I'm not sure if you did this intentionally or not, but thank you for mentioning the Superb Owl! The Internet is full of these wonderful creatures, and I hadn't even realized they existed ;-)

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2017, 07:05:17 PM »

Not until the week of February 27th? You mean besides not having a large screen tv for the Super Bowl, people won't have it for the Daytona 500 either? The horror, the horror!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2017, 08:05:33 AM »
Followed a rusty pickup truck through town yesterday carrying a brand new 75" TV in the bed. Had a good chuckle about it. Maybe he's frugal (rusty truck) or maybe he values his television viewing experience over all else.

Maybe he's lives in the falling down mobile home surrounded by junk I saw yesterday with the $60K RV trailer (with cover over it) parked outside.

Both examples to me of cart before the horse.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2017, 08:10:31 AM »

LOL! Yeah, I bought a 55" Toshiba 1080p with Chromecast for $300 delivered. TV's are not expensive nowadays.
You're supposed to buy 70-inch or larger. You get 'moar football' with a bigger screen. And 4K... anything less is for losers.
What do you frugal cheap fools know about enjoying life and relaxing?
/sarkymode

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 08:48:40 AM »
Followed a rusty pickup truck through town yesterday carrying a brand new 75" TV in the bed. Had a good chuckle about it. Maybe he's frugal (rusty truck) or maybe he values his television viewing experience over all else.

If I saw that my first thought would be that it might be a curb scavenger. There are guys that cruise my neighborhood early in the morning on heavy trash days looking for junk to pick up and fix up.

tallen

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 12:33:26 PM »
They'll just opt for the refund anticipation loans instead of waiting to spend it.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2017, 01:40:12 PM »
Nope - the guy I was following pulled out of an electronics store in front of me. Brand new TV still in the box.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2017, 07:53:23 PM »

You're supposed to buy 70-inch or larger. You get 'moar football' with a bigger screen. And 4K... anything less is for losers.
/sarkymode

Ha! The 55" was for my bedroom, any bigger and it would awkward.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 05:56:31 AM »

/sarkymode

You need a bigger wall in the bedroom, hence bigger bedroom, hence bigger houzz!
Rule of Thumb for bedroom TV is your US shoe size multiplied by 7, then rounded UP to the next screen size.
If screen is curved then multiplier is 8.
Go big or get a short-throw projector.
Now you need a 7.1 system in the bedroom.
Then sound-absorbent artistic panels.
Then a mini-fridge and microwave.
Install a bedpan and you're done.
/sarkymodeagain

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 08:41:26 AM »

/sarkymode

You need a bigger wall in the bedroom, hence bigger bedroom, hence bigger houzz!
Rule of Thumb for bedroom TV is your US shoe size multiplied by 7, then rounded UP to the next screen size.
If screen is curved then multiplier is 8.
Go big or get a short-throw projector.
Now you need a 7.1 system in the bedroom.
Then sound-absorbent artistic panels.
Then a mini-fridge and microwave.
Install a bedpan and you're done.
/sarkymodeagain

That sounds like a plan!

VaCPA

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2017, 07:52:27 PM »

Honestly, I'd rather have a really nice tv and an older car, instead of the opposite. TV is for entertainment, a car just transports you. If it runs it's good. And your personal property taxes and insurance will be cheaper.