Author Topic: "Super commuters"  (Read 4788 times)

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
"Super commuters"
« on: May 27, 2018, 05:16:06 AM »
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 05:17:42 AM by Pizzabrewer »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: "Super commuters"
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 09:37:15 AM »
I don't know what to make of the article. The article says he drives a Fiat 500 hybrid that gets 100 MPG but yet, I can find no reference to a hybrid 500 and 100 MPG is generous for even a hybrid. If he has an electric version of the 500 it only goes 84 miles per charge.

I know people in my town that drive 75+ miles to work every day and have for decades. Some replace cars constantly, others drive their cars 100s of thousands of miles before replacement. Either way that has to be expensive.

I don't mind a short drive that I can settle into and listen to a bit of music/news/audiobook. Our current carpool commute (DW and I) is 20 mins or 40 mins by ebike. Easy and slow.

XC1984

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 04:40:47 PM »
People tell themselves a lot of stories to make themselves feel better about bad choices they have made (or want to make). Commuting is one of them (at least excessive commuting). MMM's article on the topic is on point (as usual). I used to commute 3 hours round trip to work in the city for 6 years! Then I finally moved into an apartment next to my office and my life completely changed! I got those 3 hours a day back and finally, I have time to sleep, exercise, enjoy life, etc. etc.

Now I'm working on getting the other 8+ hours back...(2022?)...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 08:03:13 AM »
150k miles per year is around 500 miles per day.  I have a really hard time believing that.  Especially since he says the commute is 130 miles each way, which adds up to  (200 days * 260 miles = 52,000 miles).  It literally doesn't add up.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 08:13:36 AM »
150k miles per year is around 500 miles per day.  I have a really hard time believing that.  Especially since he says the commute is 130 miles each way, which adds up to  (200 days * 260 miles = 52,000 miles).  It literally doesn't add up.

Maybe he goes home for lunch (to save money!) and makes another trip to let his dog out?

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 08:21:33 AM »

Check the article again...

"But he’s pursuing a job with PennDOT’s Harrisburg offices, and simultaneously entertaining another option with HBO in New York City, he said. If he gets either, he’d be back on the road again, driving about 130 miles each way, though he says the commute would be a breeze."

He isn't currently driving 130 miles each way.

"In the 1980s, he lived in Princeton, New Jersey, four nights a week to work in New York City where he guided orbiting TV satellites. He traveled home on weekends to host “Saturday Night Live at the Oldies,” an acclaimed radio show that he ran for more than three decades.

He enjoys driving, which helps when you’re averaging 150,000 miles each year, he said standing in a parking lot next to his pearl white 2014 Fiat 500 hybrid, a compact car that graciously offers 100 mpg."

These two paragraphs seem to imply that he averaged 150k at some point in the past but not necessarily right now.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 10:30:47 AM »
Hmmm.  I guess the article doesn't specify where he got 150k miles from.  Princeton, NJ is only 50-ish miles from NYC.  500 miles per day is 8+ hours if you're on freeways.  That plus two jobs doesn't leave much time for sleep.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 08:21:39 AM »
I can't imagine that a Fiat 500 is that comfortable for long distances. Possibly noisy if nothing else. I have not been in a modern version. I drove the antique version a couple of times. That was a hoot!

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 01:28:53 PM »
I took the 150k to be his total annual driving, not only commuting.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 02:16:28 AM »
I can't imagine that a Fiat 500 is that comfortable for long distances. Possibly noisy if nothing else. I have not been in a modern version. I drove the antique version a couple of times. That was a hoot!

I drive a 2014 Fiat 500. I've also driven the older models.

Chalk and cheese. My little Bella is quieter than my friend's Camry, and much more fuel efficient. My longest trip was across country (about 3,500km return) to stay with my mother when she was ill. I did it by myself and it was more than comfortable.

Having said that, I'm not aware of a Fiat 500 hybrid.

force majeure

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 09:21:15 AM »
A guy I know, he commutes into NYC from near Albany, every weekday.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 11:11:21 AM »

I drive a 2014 Fiat 500. I've also driven the older models.

Chalk and cheese. My little Bella is quieter than my friend's Camry, and much more fuel efficient. My longest trip was across country (about 3,500km return) to stay with my mother when she was ill. I did it by myself and it was more than comfortable.

Having said that, I'm not aware of a Fiat 500 hybrid.

Good to know. My experience with commuter cars is based on older Hondas and Honda until recently did not make much effort to create a quiet interior.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!