Author Topic: "Saving!"  (Read 5618 times)

Greens

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
"Saving!"
« on: June 11, 2018, 05:45:17 PM »
This happened today.

LUNCH
Co-worker, eating a purchased meal, fills the rest of us in, play-by-play, on lengthy search and new apartment lease:
"We're going to save so much! We'll be saving $250 month at our new place!"

LEAVING WORK
Same co-worker, dashing out the door:
"Can't talk! [Chain store] has no limit on double coupons today!! We just bought a $2,000 tv for $500!"

UGH. Can't decide what is worse:

1) feigning polite half-listening to co-worker's "apartment win"
2) legit annoyance that people pay $2k for a stupidly large television, let alone $500

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: "Saving!"
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 05:59:29 PM »
My neighbors are moving out of their apartment here at the complex to save $500 a month in an accessory apartment in her parents' home because they want to put the money aside for a house downpayment. Well, okay, except that they both just took a vacation in the last couple weeks--her to Mexico and him to Florida--and he just bought a new motorcycle. Hmmmm.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 03:36:19 AM »
My neighbors are moving out of their apartment here at the complex to save $500 a month in an accessory apartment in her parents' home because they want to put the money aside for a house downpayment. Well, okay, except that they both just took a vacation in the last couple weeks--her to Mexico and him to Florida--and he just bought a new motorcycle. Hmmmm.

Ok yes the spending while trying to save bugs me but the whole couples taking individual vacation thing seems to bug me more here...

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 06:10:31 AM »
"Mike & Molly" IRL?

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 07:49:33 AM »

Ok yes the spending while trying to save bugs me but the whole couples taking individual vacation thing seems to bug me more here...

My husband and I did the separate vacations thing this year.  He and his best friends went to a video game conference.  The wives and I went on a 5-day cruise.  It was fun to hang out with our friends for a few days doing things that we enjoyed but our spouses wouldn't necessarily find quite so fun.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 08:53:41 AM »

My husband and I do that sometimes.  We both like to scuba dive, but he enjoys it more. Taking our toddler on a beach vacation to Mexico sounds like a giant hassle, and I wouldn't get to dive anyway, because someone has to watch her. So he went diving without me.  I really enjoy watching figure skating, and he does not, so in a few years I'll go to Montreal without him for a vacation to watch an international event.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 01:25:26 PM »

What's so weird about that? Like if you couple up you can't take trips seperately anymore? No more allowed to go on vacation with friends, no more options to visit friends abroad without a partner joining. Some partners like to do very different things, so it's more fun to go with others or alone.

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 09:04:28 AM »

What's so weird about that? Like if you couple up you can't take trips seperately anymore? No more allowed to go on vacation with friends, no more options to visit friends abroad without a partner joining. Some partners like to do very different things, so it's more fun to go with others or alone.

That is not weird at all, separate international trips are extremely common among the upper middle-class non-mustachian people I see around me every day ;P

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 09:41:47 AM »
Isn't it more mustachian to go on seperate trips? Why pay for the uninterested party to go on the trip to? 

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 10:29:52 AM »

Eh, I think its subjective. My husband and I both love traveling, but in this year alone I've taken two trips without him. One was in Seattle (a conference dedicated to my profession, he would have been bored to tears) and the other was to Wisconsin (short weekend for a wedding I was a bridesmaid of; we decided that it would have been easier logistically for him to stay home since the bride rented an Airbnb for the ladies for the weekend, and we just really couldn't spare the money since we're trying to get out of debt. Plus it was a friend that I knew well, but he didn't get to see much).

Last year he attended a wedding without me because I couldn't get time off of work, but that was another short weekend thing and only 2.5 hours away.

Now, if one of us up and left for Italy without the other one or something like that, something's up. I could see one of us *maybe* doing some "girls trip this!" or "guys retreat that!" but that's something I would be more likely to do, and would have to talk him into doing his equivalent.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 10:41:25 AM »
Sure, it'd be weird if you're planning on a big far-away trip and not include your husband in the planning.

On the other hand it can just be easier if you have different interests. My ex-boyfriend wasn't interested at all in my backpacking-couchsurfing travel style while I had 0 interest in joining him on a beach resort in southern Europe or Turkey. So we'd either make a compromise or go seperately. In this case I classify travel more as a "hobby" than as a "once a year big thing". Nobody thinks it's weird if we do different sports, but people think it's weird if we do different trips and that bugs me :p

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 11:20:23 AM »
Isn't it more mustachian to go on seperate trips? Why pay for the uninterested party to go on the trip to?
Ah, you have it backwards: If you decide to only go on trips together, you just don't go on trips that your partners not interested in. You miss it instead.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 11:21:16 AM »

I've done a lot of things with DH that I didn't exactly love. But I love him and wanted to share the time/event/story with him. While I still don't love several of the things he does, I find the parts I can enjoy and am thankful to learn more about him. Still don't understand baseball AT ALL and I've been to a lot of college level games at this point. Once the kids can sit through the games, I expect we will all go together a couple times a year.

We've also "traded" activities on shared vacations so we each get to do the top things we wanted even if the other wasn't exactly thrilled. Maybe the difference is that our "vacations" are typically local-ish so don't involve the big airfare expense. DH does get me out of my comfort zone and makes me try new things.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 12:56:39 PM »
Ah, you have it backwards: If you decide to only go on trips together, you just don't go on trips that your partners not interested in. You miss it instead.

My partner and I have different interests and shared interests. We do both.

Place separate trips means childcare is taken care of because one of us stays home.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 10:56:36 AM »
For us the vacation thing is sometimes a matter of opportunity.  My wife and son go on more vacations than I do simply because I can't get the time off. Recently they left for two weeks to visit family because he's out of school and the invitation was there.  Her parents have taken them on trips while I've been busy as well.  I think once or twice we've gone in separate out of state directions on a holiday weekend where she visited her parents and I saw some friends.  Separate international vacations seems expensive and complicated (unless expense just isn't a factor).

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 11:33:53 AM »

I've done a lot of things with DH that I didn't exactly love. But I love him and wanted to share the time/event/story with him. While I still don't love several of the things he does, I find the parts I can enjoy and am thankful to learn more about him. Still don't understand baseball AT ALL and I've been to a lot of college level games at this point. Once the kids can sit through the games, I expect we will all go together a couple times a year.

We've also "traded" activities on shared vacations so we each get to do the top things we wanted even if the other wasn't exactly thrilled. Maybe the difference is that our "vacations" are typically local-ish so don't involve the big airfare expense. DH does get me out of my comfort zone and makes me try new things.

I have certainly done and learned things with my s/o that I wouldn't have done without him. I can't play a single chord on a guitar but I can tell you more about effect pedals and recording and different types of pickups than I would ever have wanted to know. But that doesn't mean we do every single thing together. I absolutely hate going to football (soccer) games. I don't mind watching them on TV (while knitting or doing embroidery) but please no football crowds IRL. So I could either spend money and do something really awful with him, or let him go with his friends and do something else together. I also don't expect him to go to craft shows with me, but when we're on holiday together he'll happily wait while I spend a lot of time in a quilting store and I'll visit a sports stadium or museum with him.

I am physically not able to do one specific thing my fiance loves to do, so there's no possible compromise: either he goes without me, or he never gets to do that thing again. This is not the kind of thing you can do for an hour or two while you're on a joint holiday, so he will go away for a weekend every now and then to do that activity with his friends.