Author Topic: "Rollin' Coal"?  (Read 35447 times)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
Re: "Rollin' Coal"?
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2014, 10:45:26 AM »
Jack, dont let it sound too easy. You should not start into traffic ;)
You need 2 or 3 hours to get it halfway. Its muscle memory like anything else.
practice, sleep it over, practive, sleep it over, practice a bit more and you should be ready.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2014, 03:59:34 PM »
practice, sleep it over, practive, sleep it over, practice a bit more and you should be ready.

I started in traffic! My older brother's car (manual Ford Focus) was in the shop and my mom dropped me off at the shop to pick it up. I was 16 and had never driven a manual before, but I convinced her I could do it. I think I shut it down twice on the way home, but I never had trouble after that. Every time I've bought a vehicle, I've tried to find a manual, but they are incredibly difficult to find in the used market in the U.S.A. It pisses me off. I've still never owned a manual, but I drove a manual pickup truck that belonged to my dad for a year in college.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2014, 08:24:24 AM »
I like the idea of making people take a driving test in a manual transmission car. It amazes me how many can't do this simple task.

Well, sure.  Many families don't even have a manual car to practice in.  :-)  My parents wouldn't let me learn a manual until I passed the test in an auto!
That's completely backwards to me- my parents wouldn't let me TOUCH the automatic until I'd mastered driving the manual. My Dad's (very good IMO) logic was that if I could drive the manual then I could drive pretty much anything else since an automatic would be a piece of cake. Especially since the car I learned on had the WORST clutch of any car I've driven to date.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2014, 05:01:04 PM »

I started in traffic! My older brother's car (manual Ford Focus) was in the shop and my mom dropped me off at the shop to pick it up. I was 16 and had never driven a manual before, but I convinced her I could do it. I think I shut it down twice on the way home, but I never had trouble after that. Every time I've bought a vehicle, I've tried to find a manual, but they are incredibly difficult to find in the used market in the U.S.A. It pisses me off. I've still never owned a manual, but I drove a manual pickup truck that belonged to my dad for a year in college.

I learned on a Ford Focus as well.  Dad gave me a 20 minute lesson the night before and I had to drive to work the next day.  The Focus has an awesome transmission/clutch pedal.  It's VERY forgiving.  My buddy called it the unstallable car . . . although I still managed to stall it a couple times that first ride to work.  :P