Author Topic: "Realistic Ways to Cut Your Commuting Costs"  (Read 2570 times)

tuyop

• Bristles
"Realistic Ways to Cut Your Commuting Costs"
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:29:03 AM »
Change Your Work Hours

If you’re not working a traditional shift job and you have some flexibility with your scheduling (or an understanding boss), consider negotiating alternate hours outside of the 9-5. Perhaps you could try coming in early and leaving early or coming in late and leaving late (ideally, it’s not coming in early and leaving late!). By switching up your hours, you could avoid a lot of traffic—especially stop and go traffic which absolutely kills your gas mileage.
Partner Up

Carpooling is a great way to save money, be social, and reduce the chance of driving-induced stress (yes, I’m talking about road rage here, people). Even if you only commit to carpooling two days/week, you can reduce your costs for gas as well as the wear and tear on your vehicle.

If you’re thinking about carpooling, reach out to some close co-workers, solicit options via company message boards and email lists, or make an appointment with your HR rep to see what you can do to set up a car/ride sharing program at your work.
Travel With the Masses

I’ll be the first one to admit that I hate public transit—especially during rush hour. The packed trains and disgruntled passengers can leave a lot to be desired, but it’s a phenomenal way to save money on your commuting expenses.

If you live in an urban area, chances are your employer may participate in a reduced fare program. I’ve taken advantage of such a deal through my part-time job as I pay a mere $32/month for an unlimited bus/subway pass thanks to my employer’s generous subsidy. When I think of the hundreds I save each year, those minor hassles with the crowded trains are a bit more palatable.
Consider Radical Alternatives

If none of these options appeal to you or aren’t feasible for your situation, consider a more radical approach. This could mean forgoing the car altogether in favor of a bicycle, petitioning to work from home more often, or it could go as far as changing jobs

Normally I love lifehacker, but why is bicycling to work the last, most "radical" alternative?

Cecil

• Bristles
Re: "Realistic Ways to Cut Your Commuting Costs"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:34:30 AM »
Well, it is radical compared to carpooling twice a week. :)

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 11:05:28 AM »
Honestly if you were to put out a spectrum of commuting costs, one side being driving a Rolls Royce made of Rolex watches powered by wood stove and the other side being walking, biking will probably lean heavily to one side; therefore it would be radical or extreme. Put it this way, you can now say you are a radical.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »
We have put together an option for employees that reduces their commute quite a bit over a year.  They have the option to work 9 hour days for 8 days and one day at 8 hours - for a total of 80 hours.  It only works out for 19 pay periods for the year due to not always having full pay periods (holidays, etc.).

For some this last day that is no longer a "work day" that can add up to a lot of miles - and free time.  They are still working 80 hours over two weeks, but they are saving 1.5 hours of travel time, one hour at lunch (at work), and probably an hour getting ready for work.  That approximately 3.5 hours every two weeks is significant.

There are federal laws to be aware of though that do not allow a certain class of employee to work more than 40 hours per week without special compensations, so it doesn't work for all.

We've calculated the carbon savings as well and it is also pretty impressive.  Couple all this with our frequent coordination on commuting together to meetings, and calling on other departments to drive with me (8 passenger van) and we have nixed about 1,000 miles this quarter alone.

I can add to that the 2 days a month I take transit and the 8-10 days a month by bicycle and it can make a big difference.