Author Topic: "Only hippies and criminals ride bikes"  (Read 11132 times)

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
"Only hippies and criminals ride bikes"
« on: December 18, 2012, 05:09:25 PM »
My energy saving guide, posted to Instructables, recently spontaneously jumped to the website's homepage under the "popular now" list.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Not-your-average-save-energy-advice-use-less-en/

Yesterday I got the following comment:

"A lot of what you say all I can think of is "suffer for everyone else". 

You know how my parents saved money?  They installed new triple paned windows with argon gas.  The heater comes on maybe twice a day now and its -36 C some days.  We don't even hear the transit buses going by any more and the ricer 30 MPG morons with subs can barely be heard. 
Biking?  Hippies, criminals and poor people bike, and mostly because they're all poor, except if you're poor, generally you're both of the other anyway. 
Microwave food?  Thats just disgusting and sickening.  I don't even like heating old food in the microwave period, but I have to sadly. 
23k for a prius is expensive?  Since when?  My RX 8 cost 15k and I got that no problem on loan.  This goes back to the bike comment. 

All you're saying is be cheap, do things that you don't like to do, and never spend your money to help the economy.  Sorry man, if you wanna live this way good on ya and I respect that, but you might as well pitch a tent in the middle of nowhere with a few gardening tools and enough seeds to grow anything you want.  Maybe you can catch a wild chicken with some raisins and sleeping pills."

Then someone else commented, saying they are neither a hippy, nor a criminal, nor poor, but they ride a bike everywhere, and also that all the money they save gets reinvested into the local economy, to which the same guy responded:

"You know what I do when I need to go somewhere?  I walk like normal people.  In fact, I wear the heaviest steel toe boots I can find, and I run in them.  My car gets 18 MPG and it burns 5W30 oil and I also premix an ounce of 2 stroke per 10 gallon in the tank at fill up.  My car runs very rich to the point where flames shoot out the back.  Go ahead and ride your bike, I'll just drive a few more miles everyday. 
Also, hippies are drug addicts.  Every single one of them.  In the 60's most hippies ended up in jail at least once.  Most true hippies of criminal records and find it hard to get jobs so they ride bikes.  Why is it I only see poor people riding bikes?  I see a few people who do it regularily, but for the most part its poor people who can't afford even a $500 car because of drug addiction.  Have fun with your bike you hippie."

I almost regret having flagged his comments for removal, because now yall can't go and see the original and laugh at him.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:38:38 PM by Bakari »

directionseeker

• Stubble
    • Let's Retire!
Re: "Only hippies and criminals ride bikes"
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:18:02 PM »
I almost regret having flagged his comments for removable, because now yall can't go and see the original and laugh at him.

Ya... We missed out some fun here...

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 06:28:25 PM »
He's right though :P

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 07:19:20 PM »
I just spent a while reading the comments thread on your guide; good lord... I am trying not to be negative, but that smcintyre2 woman in the comments section is pretty intolerable - she is spewing mis-information and incapable of admitting she doesn't know enough about what she's debating.

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:52:17 PM »
Good read and good on you for keep the comment debate civil.

Rich M

• Stubble
  • Fortune Kookie
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 09:51:27 PM »
Awesome.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 01:42:52 AM »
Don't feed the trolls.

k9

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 06:24:06 AM »
Wow, amazing :o

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 07:25:36 AM »
It's a real life Homer Simpson! I can't remember which episode it was but I remember Homer saying "Public transportation is for jerks and lesbians." This guy seems to have about the same level of cognitive ability.

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 08:38:46 AM »
Wow. Just... wow. He's trolling, of course. Call it a missuse of the optimism guns, but I refuse to believe anyone is really that ignorant.

On your indestructible:
I'm glad you included a caveat in the "turn your thermostat to off" section, since frozen pipes really aren't a fun way to start your day. I have to admit, I wuss out and leave it at around 15C instead of zero... but I don't pay my own utilities right now, anyway.

plantingourpennies

• Bristles
  • None.
    • Money, Kittens, Happiness
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 08:07:11 AM »
I Lol'd.

He's a troll, but if I had a bike I would paint this on the frame.

Wonder what camp I fit into?

Best,
Mr. Pop

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 09:01:54 AM »
His follow up reply looks all troll, but the initial one doesn't at all, at least not to me.
He starts off saying that his parents installed double paned windows to save energy, and it has reduced the need for heating.
He says he got his car with a 15k loan.
These are pretty typical, realistic things to do.
He might be a little extreme, and may be deliberately exaggerating just to get a rise out of people, but I'll bet he really meant it, and that there are a whole lot more like him out there.

I looked at his other comments and nothing indicates he is a serial troll

jwystup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 09:04:07 PM »
I guess I'm a hippie then - if you looked at my legs you'd agree (I haven't shaved since it got too cold for shorts! I have man-hair-legs!)

I used to think like this though. I'm not sure if I would've jumped on the biking bandwagon had we still lived in our (wonderful) hometown. Around here I don't know anyone, but in our hometown, there are many stores on larger streets - it would be difficult to do any real grocery shopping without venturing out there - and anyone that bikes or walks out there must be poor or something must be wrong with them, right? Ugh. Also, it's a small town and everyone knows everyone so I'd always feel like I'm being judged by someone I know.

Now I have more of an attitude of I ride and I don't give a shit what other people think. I'm starting to like it if they think I'm crazy.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 12:13:23 AM »
I got to go to "Most Antimustachian City" award-winner Baton Rouge for the holidays.  After having been told by the spouse (who's from there) that it was not a place you could bike commute, I excitedly pointed out several people riding bikes when we were there.  I was informed by the family that those people must be biking because they had gotten too many DUIs.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 12:31:14 AM »
"You might as well pitch a tent in the middle of nowhere with a few gardening tools and enough seeds to grow anything you want."

Wait...is that supposed to be an example of a shit life? Because that pretty much defines everything I'm trying to make happen over here. Only I don't need sleeping pills to catch my chickens. They come when I shake sunflower seeds and cluck at them.

EngGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 08:03:30 AM »
Makes me think of the guy in the Cadillac Escalade who ran me over on the way to work earlier this year (even though I wear flourescent clothing, and my bike has flashing lights and is plastered with reflective tape). The first two things he said to me when he came out of his boat, I mean car, were:

1) I am so so sorry.
2) Why are you biking on a busy street?

Some people will never get it.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »
"You might as well pitch a tent in the middle of nowhere with a few gardening tools and enough seeds to grow anything you want."

Wait...is that supposed to be an example of a shit life? Because that pretty much defines everything I'm trying to make happen over here. Only I don't need sleeping pills to catch my chickens. They come when I shake sunflower seeds and cluck at them.

LOL--my thoughts exactly.

uspsfanalan

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »
Makes me think of the guy in the Cadillac Escalade who ran me over on the way to work earlier this year (even though I wear flourescent clothing, and my bike has flashing lights and is plastered with reflective tape). The first two things he said to me when he came out of his boat, I mean car, were:

1) I am so so sorry.
2) Why are you biking on a busy street?

Some people will never get it.

I hope you have recovered. How badly were you injured?

As far as hippies, yes those people riding the $2000 carbon fiber frame bikes are a bunch of hippies. I've ridden with lots of those guys and more often than not they work in IT, healthcare, legal services, finance and just about every other field.

EngGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 06:48:33 AM »
Thanks for your concern uspsfanalan. It was pretty grizzly but it could have been a lot worse. I ended up under his car with my bike on top of me pressing me to the ground, pushing my knee in the opposite direction of the way that it naturally goes. I’m young, fit, and healthy though, and the physiotherapist was amazed by my recovery. I’m not riding right now (not quite badass enough to ride in -15 C weather with ice and snow), but I will be starting again in March. People think I'm crazy, but they just don't understand the risk/benefit ratio.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 09:15:41 AM »
"I can't support bike lanes. Roads are built for buses, cars, and trucks. My heart bleeds when someone gets killed, but it's their own fault at the end of the day."
-Rob Ford, Mayor of Toronto

Please note - I didn't vote for him.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 10:10:18 AM »
"I can't support bike lanes. Roads are built for buses, cars, and trucks. My heart bleeds when someone gets killed, but it's their own fault at the end of the day."

christ, what an asshole.

Secret Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 01:50:56 PM »

christ, what an asshole.

This reminds me of the sentiment in Houston regarding bikes.  They are working to improve but are still far behind the rest of the country.  Biking is illegal on sidewalks and most roads do not have bike lanes here.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Unlike-elsewhere-in-Texas-city-lacks-bike-car-4227831.php?t=9f139f7938d4bfc38c

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 05:23:55 PM »

This reminds me of the sentiment in Houston regarding bikes.  They are working to improve but are still far behind the rest of the country.  Biking is illegal on sidewalks and most roads do not have bike lanes here.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Unlike-elsewhere-in-Texas-city-lacks-bike-car-4227831.php?t=9f139f7938d4bfc38c

Just a sidenote: biking on the side walk should be illegal, in all but very specific circumstances (like on narrow bridges or tunnels, or high speed suburban streets with no driveways) it is much more dangerous than riding in the street, even if there are no bike lanes.

I have both theory and stats to back that up if you are not convinced: http://biodieselhauling.blogspot.com/2012/06/please-ride-your-bike-in-street.html

stevedoug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Photon Chasing
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 09:30:54 AM »
Just a sidenote: biking on the side walk should be illegal, in all but very specific circumstances (like on narrow bridges or tunnels, or high speed suburban streets with no driveways) it is much more dangerous than riding in the street, even if there are no bike lanes.

I have both theory and stats to back that up if you are not convinced: http://biodieselhauling.blogspot.com/2012/06/please-ride-your-bike-in-street.html

Depends on your area. (PS, blogs are blocked @ my office so I can't read it in depth, unfortunately)

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 02:08:57 PM »

Depends on your area. (PS, blogs are blocked @ my office so I can't read it in depth, unfortunately)

I'm not sure it does. Accident profiles are the same from California to Canada.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 08:37:31 AM »
The sidwalk biking thing is kinda counter-intuitive.  "How could it possibly be more dangerous . . . I'm totally separated from the dangerous cars!"  Seems to be the reasoning that always flashes through your mind.  The problem is, once you start biking at a decent speed, every time that you cross a driveway/intersection you're completely invisible to cars.  It's not always possible for a driver to see you barrelling down the sidewalk.  I've had several accidents with cars back when I was a regular sidewalk rider . . . and none now that I bike exclusively on the road.

stevedoug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Photon Chasing
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 01:32:54 PM »

I'm not sure it does. Accident profiles are the same from California to Canada.

Well, the environment varies greatly... IE, biking in my area in say Downtown Detroit is significantly different than biking in some of the long suburban subdivisions.

Whenever I bike, I pretend the cars cannot see me and, on top of that, are actively trying to run into me. Of course cars won't see you on the sidewalk @ an intersection, and of course they may see you better in the street.

I like to pretend they don't see me, are also insane, and are trying to hit me. Therfore, I stop. a lot. to let cars go where they need to go. In this case it doesn't matter where I am riding, since I'm always giving them the right of way.

and no one tell me that cyclists have the right of way, it many non bike friendly cities it just isn't the case.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 03:24:26 PM »
Regardless of the dangerosity of cycling on the sidewalk, it's annoying as hell for everyone else. People who do it are usually novice cyclists riding at < 10 mph, incapable of holding their line and oblivious to everyone around them. One had the nerve to angrily yell for me to get out of his way when the sidewalk was large enough for one and the speed limit on the road was 25. How the hell am I supposed to see him coming from behind as a pedestrian? Grow a pair and get on the road already.

Sorry for the rant. Clueless people. Brrrrr.

KimAB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 04:46:33 PM »
How the hell am I supposed to see him coming from behind as a pedestrian? Grow a pair and get on the road already.

My work and home are connected by a bike/ walking path.  I'm nearly run over on a regular basis in walking/ biking season so I feel your pain. 

I'm not a biker, but I am a walker/ transit user. My co-workers all assume I'm too poor to have a car of my own (only partially true.)  I've noticed the FIRST thing new immigrants buy is a car and they always tell me it is because "everyone in Canada has a car."  I assure them it isn't true and point out that I don't have a car nor do I WANT a car.  They never believe me.

I find it SO sad because they are almost always working here and have left their kids with family, friends, paid people, or in schools.  They often live in poverty conditions here so they can save more money and go home sooner to visit or to stay, but the spend money on a car.  :-/

nolajo

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »

Well, the environment varies greatly... IE, biking in my area in say Downtown Detroit is significantly different than biking in some of the long suburban subdivisions.

Whenever I bike, I pretend the cars cannot see me and, on top of that, are actively trying to run into me. Of course cars won't see you on the sidewalk @ an intersection, and of course they may see you better in the street.

I like to pretend they don't see me, are also insane, and are trying to hit me. Therfore, I stop. a lot. to let cars go where they need to go. In this case it doesn't matter where I am riding, since I'm always giving them the right of way.

and no one tell me that cyclists have the right of way, it many non bike friendly cities it just isn't the case.

The Law of Gross Tonnage applies in these cases; frankly, in an accident, the person on the bike is the one who's going to be hurt, regardless of right-of-way. It's getting better around here for bikers, but fatal accidents unfortunately do happen and a lot of drivers are just totally unaware of their surroundings. But then you get the idiots on bikes who make me nearly as frustrated - going the wrong way down streets, up on the sidewalks, headphones in, totally oblivious to everything around them. Particularly when I'm driving, it scares me because I'm so worried I'll hit them.