Author Topic: "No One Should Ever Ride Bikes In Suffolk County"  (Read 5256 times)

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
"No One Should Ever Ride Bikes In Suffolk County"
« on: February 13, 2014, 01:09:37 PM »
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/02/12/local-legislator-no-one-should-ever-ride-bikes-in-suffolk-county/

This story is just sad and pathetic. As someone who doesn't bike as often as I'd like to because I'm afraid of distracted drivers, I would appreciate it if our legislators worked to make our communities safer rather than just accepting defeat.

Lorin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: "No One Should Ever Ride Bikes In Suffolk County"
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 01:16:17 PM »
I saw that on FB and couldn't believe what I was reading!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 01:34:28 PM »
The saddest part of the story, aside from the injury that the woman suffered, is that this kind of attitude toward bicycles and cyclists, is so prevalent in the US and Canada.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 02:31:23 PM »
What a dick.  This guy actually has the power to CHANGE that, and instead he's just throwing up his hands claiming that that's just the way it is.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:05:33 PM »
That woman should run against him for his office.

"Tom Barraga thinks it's okay for our roads to be inuring and killing county residents. Despite all the constituents who have contacted him about safety concerns for motorcycle and bicycle riders, he's done nothing and, by his own admission, 90 percent of them later got injured. Expect more from your county council: vote for Sandy Cutrone, who knows first-hand about our county's dangerous roads and will do something about it."

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:40:05 PM »
I was just logging in to post that.  Got me beat.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 06:47:54 AM »
Hey, if it makes you feel any better . . . this kind of mentality is pretty widespread.  Our illustrious mayor said this when commenting on the death of another cyclist in Toronto:

"What I compare bike lanes to is swimming with the sharks.  Sooner or later you're going to get bitten... Roads are built for buses, cars, and trucks, not for people on bikes.  My heart bleeds for them when someone gets killed.  But it's their own fault at the end of the day."

Nancy

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 07:40:07 AM »
Wow. That's fucking ridiculous. Wait... how is Rob Ford still mayor after admitting that he smoked crack while in office?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:45:45 AM »
Wow. That's fucking ridiculous. Wait... how is Rob Ford still mayor after admitting that he smoked crack while in office?

Typically politicians around here just resign and apologize when busted for something like this.  Apparently we don't have laws to force someone out (although we've stripped him of all his mayoral powers), so he's still collecting a paycheck for being the mayor until the next election.

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 04:39:48 PM »
This guy is a total douche

I grew up in Suffolk County, and as much as he is a tactless A-hole for saying this to this kid, I agree with his sentiment. The roads there are poorly designed for anything but driving in all but a fraction of instances. Quite sad, really.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 03:34:34 AM »
The roads there are poorly designed for anything but driving in all but a fraction of instances.
And it's his fault, in a not-insignificant way.

ThermionicScott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 11:24:56 AM »
What a dick.  This guy actually has the power to CHANGE that, and instead he's just throwing up his hands claiming that that's just the way it is.

The place is begging for a Critical Mass or two.

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 06:39:21 AM »
Certainly a crappy attitude, but I do have some comments about the incident that caused the kid to ask for action. I hate when a cyclist gets dinged (or worse) by a driver doing a "normal" action. The cyclist must have been in front of the line. A normal risk analysis while waiting for light is always required.

Is there someone behind me who wants to turn right that doesn't know i here?
Is there someone coming from the right who wants to turn right and might not realize I am here?
What is the speed limit for cross traffic so I can calculate how likely it is that someone I can't see is going to blow the light?
What are the left turn patterns here, who has green when we have green?

I would like to know the specific geometry and timing of the accident, because I am very cynical and wonder why she didn't stop when she saw the car turning left, or veer to the left hard, etc. these types of accidents so often have an action that a good bike handler could take. If you aren't a good bike handler then I don't think you should mixing it up on busy streets. And when a driver does what he normally would do if you weren't there, then that is something you can prevent. It is the driver who does the random act that are tricky. Driving wrong way on one way street, blowing red lights or stop signs, driving on the sidewalk, etc. those are a bitch to predict and prepare for. But someone turning left on a green? That is a normal action, and you have to watch for it.

I am overly sensitive right now because a guy at work had a run in a couple weeks ago. He was riding two abreast on the left and a kid pulled out turing left cross their face. One guy saw it coming (hmmm, there is a car at the intersection, we are shadowed in his A Pillar, I bet he cant see us, be ready) and stopped. The second guy just kept riding and splat. Broken bones. Clearly the car driving kids fault, but was certainly preventable by simply getting out of the way. I am fine with the attitude of "my road too", but do not tolerate the surprise that even when a cyclist has the right of way they lose huge to cars.

Again, I am pro cycling, and really pro bike commute, but the larger object always has physical right of way, and you need to be ready to ditch.

Doen whining. Would go for a ride, but I am too bid a weenie to ride in temps below 40.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 07:13:53 AM »
I completely agree with you. Share the road, bike rights bla bla bla  is all well and good as long as you  still have a pulse and aren't  dealing with a traumatic brain injury.

Unless I see  evidence to the contrary by the  driver's  behavior, I tend to assume  that all drivers on the road can't  see/ aren't watching for me. In reality,   no sane mature driver WANTS an altercation with anyone else.  It's inconvenient for them , their insurance,  paint job and getting to work on time.  However, I think some roads are  designed with a  deep hatred for bicyclists.

Don't let the weather keep you in! There's something so peaceful about a  morning ride when it's so cold and quiet that you can hear the power lines crackle.  (I'm  spoiled - it hasn't been below 15 F  here all winter - you cyclists that  ride  in below zero temperatures amaze me!)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 08:40:18 AM »
Reminds me of LOTR: Return of the King

Irolas: It is as the Lord Denethor predicted. Long has he foreseen this doom.
Gandalf: Foreseen and done nothing!