Author Topic: "Money can buy happiness. Just depends what you buy"  (Read 5302 times)

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Brilliantly Antimustachian List of Unnecessary Crap
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 03:19:18 AM »
First reaction:  Well, if it's only that one thing, then to each his own... But of course it's not just that one thing...

Second reaction:  Yeah, that's f***ed.

JLR

• Pencil Stache

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 06:50:03 AM »
I can understand this a little. When I do remodeling, I only buy the good stuff. That means I spend extra for solid brass hardware, solid wood doors, etc. They don't add to functionality, just to the feel. In this article, they're asking each person what one crazy thing they own that they really like.

First reaction:  Well, if it's only that one thing, then to each his own... But of course it's not just that one thing...

Agreed. Someone who buys $200 cashmere track pants isn't only buying $200 cashmere track pants.

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 06:53:51 AM »
Further proof that money can't buy class.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 06:57:56 AM »
I can understand this a little. When I do remodeling, I only buy the good stuff. That means I spend extra for solid brass hardware, solid wood doors, etc. They don't add to functionality, just to the feel. In this article, they're asking each person what one crazy thing they own that they really like.

Agreed. Someone who buys $200 cashmere track pants isn't only buying $200 cashmere track pants.
Those do add to functionality.  Solid doors shield sound better than hollow core doors and close easier.  They also are less likely to be damaged if anything (moving furniture for example) bumps into them.  Solid brass hardware will last you longer and work more consistently.  You are talking about spending on value.  The items on this list (for the most part) aren't doing that.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 07:30:49 AM »
Yeah, I give up. That was the closest I could get to the craziness of the article purchases. I did spend $50 on a beautiful teapot once, but a friend made it and was a worthy recipient of the money.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: "Money can buy happiness. Just depends what you buy"
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 09:00:56 AM »
Wow... The headline itself isn't wrong though. You just need to buy your retirement with investments!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 09:05:52 AM »
TBH, some time ago me&SO burned a few hundreds $ in a new mattress, some extremely comfy pillows and a great duvet, and man, are we happier! Our sleep quality skyrocked, and our quality of life improved. It has been months, and we still comment how happy we are about the upgrading.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 09:13:17 AM »
I think it really depends on the purchase. I'm a trail runner, and I'll happily fork over my money when I need a new pair of shoes. I do always wait until I find a good deal, then buy in bulk if possible. The mattress is definitely one I would consider a good investment, too. I know we're much happier when we have a good night's sleep.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 12:58:25 PM »
TBH, some time ago me&SO burned a few hundreds $ in a new mattress, some extremely comfy pillows and a great duvet, and man, are we happier! Our sleep quality skyrocked, and our quality of life improved. It has been months, and we still comment how happy we are about the upgrading.
That's different than spending $250 on the floor plan of the apartment from Friends...  None of the items on this list would make you happier during 1/3 of your life (assuming you sleep 8 hours).

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 08:52:24 PM »
All of these items had cheaper alternatives that would have performed just as well. (E.g. need a flat water bottle, buy the vapour bottle, need warm sweatpants buy flannelette, need a cute sweater, there are plenty under $50).
This is different to MMMer who may pay more for a better functioning item (e.g. the bed example). I just bought $190 ankle boots for work and I am delighted every-time I put them on. As a larger footed lady stylish, professional and comfortable footwear is in short supply so it's so nice to wear something that looks and feels amazing.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 09:48:01 PM »
Yeah, I dunno, if you spend more for an item than you would for the purely functional, but it makes you smile every time you look at it, is it worth it? It's arguable. Depends on what else is going on and what else you could have spent the money on. I do think it's dumb to go into debt to buy frivolous crap, but I don't think it follows that any purchase above the bare minimum isn't worth it.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 01:56:49 AM »
Speaking of beds, I'm looking for a full sized mattress. Any suggestions on how best to go about this?

Restless Consumer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 09:16:55 AM »
Wow... The headline itself isn't wrong though. You just need to buy your retirement with investments!

I also agree that the headline isn't wrong. However, in addition to retirement, there is spending money on others which can bring happiness.

I enjoy this TED talk about the topic.
https://www.ted.com/talks/michael_norton_how_to_buy_happiness

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 09:54:24 AM »
Being able to buy a high quality $2000 acoustic guitar that I love playing every day makes me happier than if I could only afford a $200 guitar that doesn't perform as well. Also, the everyday peace of mind that comes with being financially secure definitely makes me "happier" than I would be if I was broke and struggling.

So, yes. Money can buy happiness.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »
Speaking of beds, I'm looking for a full sized mattress. Any suggestions on how best to go about this?

http://www.mattressnerd.com/mattress-buying-guide/

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 12:30:38 PM »

I was toughing it out with my old bed for well over a decade, when I met my SO and we began sharing my place the bed was tight (it was a twin or the next size up). I toughed that out too.

The first day my SO said "I think the bed is making my back hurt lets get a new one" I gave my self permission to buy a new one. Picked it up the next day and noticed their "free next day delivery" sign which I mentioned to their disappointment. We went with a king sized non-name brand memory foam mattress and have not regretted it.

Now instead of toughing out a night of sleep and waking up sore before work, I start about as good as I'm ever gonna get that day and it all goes downhill from there (I kid) :)

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 07:48:04 AM »

Check out Casper!! Cool new company that's gotten lots of great feedback. Prices seem to be pretty mid-range in the world of mattresses and delivery is free. I'm due for a new mattress in about a year and I'm definitely giving this a try.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!