Author Topic: "Moms like $25 french toast as much as anyone else"  (Read 6938 times)

alanB

• Stubble
"Moms like $25 french toast as much as anyone else"
« on: February 08, 2018, 09:47:51 AM »
https://www.fastcompany.com/40524680/this-startup-wants-to-make-dining-out-with-a-toddler-less-of-a-nightmare

My wife sent me this one, loved it so much I have to share.  Comfortably eat lunch with your children for only $300 per person!  Finally a place where the ultra-rich can feel at home.

"It’s no surprise that 34% of American 2-year-olds eat fast food on a given day."
Yea, it is the high-end brunch crowd's fault for persecuting parents!!  What choice do they have?  I cannot think of any other reason why they might be eating fast food.

Let them eat $25 french toast.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: "Moms like $25 french toast as much as anyone else"
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 01:24:53 PM »
Doesn't sound so unique to me.  This actually sounds really familiar.  I've been to lots of restaurants with my kids where there is a kids' space where they could play or color or games or legos for them to play with.  But they didn't cost $300 so I guess this is different?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 02:16:36 PM »
34%! that would absolutely be a surprise, if it were true. The author of this article just blatantly misquoted the article that they linked to which actually said 34% of kids ages 2-19 eat fast food at least once a day. Still not good but less surprising and has nothing to do with the point the author was making.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 02:36:38 PM »
Doesn't sound so unique to me.  This actually sounds really familiar.  I've been to lots of restaurants with my kids where there is a kids' space where they could play or color or games or legos for them to play with.  But they didn't cost $300 so I guess this is different?

Really?  I don't know that I've seen this except in rare instances. 

Obviously fast food has it.  And I've seen a very small number of fast casual places that have added outdoor place spaces - but extremely rare.

I've never seen it at a luxury establishment.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:15:56 PM »
I want french toast now.

And...I have all the stuff to make it at home, even some bread that's probably approaching end of life! Convenient :D

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 08:42:57 AM »
$300/adult, but the kids eat free!

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 08:59:58 AM »
The article says that the $300/adult was a specific event for foodies.  This just sounds like a child-friendly event planning business.  It's not a bad idea given the modern kid-centric culture.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 09:43:52 AM »
$300/adult, but the kids eat free!

Drop the kid and pick him/her up later?

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »
Huh, the only place I've ever been where we've eaten a meal while the kids were in a play area was at Legoland. No way I'm ever paying $25 for french toast though. If we want to splurge and be super fancy with our french toast we get the amazing Trader Joe's fancy sliced brioche for $3-ish a loaf. That's plenty decadent enough for us! (and, if you're a french toast lover, it's absolutely incredible, but may ruin regular french toast for you forever...).

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 10:35:28 AM »
Huh, the only place I've ever been where we've eaten a meal while the kids were in a play area was at Legoland. No way I'm ever paying $25 for french toast though. If we want to splurge and be super fancy with our french toast we get the amazing Trader Joe's fancy sliced brioche for $3-ish a loaf. That's plenty decadent enough for us! (and, if you're a french toast lover, it's absolutely incredible, but may ruin regular french toast for you forever...).
My wife taught me to butter the bread before dipping it, and also to add some sugar to the dip.  Hearty bread is a must.  $25 french toast must include tax and tip, even in Manhattan I doubt that is the base price.  Also, even those fancy restaurants will let you bring food for a 2 year old.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 01:17:25 PM »
34%! that would absolutely be a surprise, if it were true. The author of this article just blatantly misquoted the article that they linked to which actually said 34% of kids ages 2-19 eat fast food at least once a day. Still not good but less surprising and has nothing to do with the point the author was making.

I was horrified when I read that statistic and you're right; it's blatantly wrong!  Doesn't Fast Company have editors or fact-checkers?  It would have taken them the same 30 seconds it took us to find that error.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »

Obviously fast food has it.  And I've seen a very small number of fast casual places that have added outdoor place spaces - but extremely rare.

I never go to luxury establishments - I am a mustachian after all.  The places I'm talking about are independent restaurant (not fast food) but that cater to people with kids.  Mostly the brunch crowd.  Obviously, you have to seek out the ones that are more kid friendly but the situation is hardly unique.  Probably unique amongst the $25 French toast set though.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 01:43:56 PM »

I never go to luxury establishments - I am a mustachian after all.  The places I'm talking about are independent restaurant (not fast food) but that cater to people with kids.  Mostly the brunch crowd.  Obviously, you have to seek out the ones that are more kid friendly but the situation is hardly unique.  Probably unique amongst the $25 French toast set though.

It's not a thing where I live.  If you want kid friendly (a place to play) your choice is basically McDonalds.  There are plenty of places that are fine with you bringing your kids, but most kids sit and play on ipads. There is nowhere for them to go

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 11:11:09 PM »
My wife taught me to butter the bread before dipping it, and also to add some sugar to the dip.  Hearty bread is a must.  $25 french toast must include tax and tip, even in Manhattan I doubt that is the base price.  Also, even those fancy restaurants will let you bring food for a 2 year old.
Most we've paid for French toast in Manhattan was around $18 ... But it was like two people's worth of toast, and many fruits besides.  Probably a two thousand+ calorie plate. But this was nto a fancy place. I can see $25.

Lately our habits have been more in line with the TJs brioche mentioned earlier.

thingamabobs

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 12:50:01 PM »
Ha! I like the part that says the only toddler suitable food on the menus was a fruit bowl... uhm... I think you mean the least expensive thing on the menu that you were willing to pay for to give your kid because I'm pretty sure toddlers eat french toast be it 50 cent homemade ones or $25 ones.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 03:38:07 PM »
Lately our habits have been more in line with the TJs brioche mentioned earlier.

We made it again this past weekend before going out for a long hike. It is SO good and has totally ruined other french toast for me forever. But I was wrong in my original post; it is $3.99 a loaf. Totally worth it. Combined with good breakfast sausage ($6.50 because we used 2 packs) and fresh orange juice ($2.66) from Costco and it made a heck of a fine brunch for 5 people. Oh, and maybe $2 worth of fresh butter and real maple syrup I suppose. It was much better than many a breakfast out in the past! I can't even remember the last time we went out for breakfast beyond an occasional bagel, although even those we get at TJs now with their whipped cream cheese.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 08:56:54 AM »
"The only toddler-appropriate food on the menu was a fruit plate"

As the parent of a 2 year old this confuses me. Here are some breakfast/brunch items my 2 year old likes: yogurt, fruit, toast, pancakes, french toast, waffles, sausage, bacon, muffins... True, she doesn't like eggs, and I don't let her eat whole almonds/nuts because she's not great about remembering to chew and they're a chocking hazard but still, there's a heck of a lot more options than fruit!

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 09:55:33 AM »
Ha! I like the part that says the only toddler suitable food on the menus was a fruit bowl... uhm... I think you mean the least expensive thing on the menu that you were willing to pay for to give your kid because I'm pretty sure toddlers eat french toast be it 50 cent homemade ones or $25 ones.

Haha, so true!!  I don't know, maybe it is some funky upscale french toast with caviar and foie gras...

"The only toddler-appropriate food on the menu was a fruit plate"

As the parent of a 2 year old this confuses me. Here are some breakfast/brunch items my 2 year old likes: yogurt, fruit, toast, pancakes, french toast, waffles, sausage, bacon, muffins... True, she doesn't like eggs, and I don't let her eat whole almonds/nuts because she's not great about remembering to chew and they're a chocking hazard but still, there's a heck of a lot more options than fruit!

My toddler's favorite is whatever I'm eating, even if I already put half of it in his bowl.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 09:59:39 AM »

Haha, so true!!  I don't know, maybe it is some funky upscale french toast with caviar and foie gras...

I think they're missing the mark with this initiative because their target market can afford child care. A $300 per head event is a pretty expensive evening out, and people with that kind of dough can generally afford a sitter if not a nanny.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 05:15:05 PM »
My toddler's favorite is whatever I'm eating, even if I already put half of it in his bowl.

I know right? It's amazing how much better food is on an adults plate. I've actually served myself some extra, already cut into pieces just so I can give it away off my plate...

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 10:12:08 AM »
I think they're missing the mark with this initiative because their target market can afford child care. A $300 per head event is a pretty expensive evening out, and people with that kind of dough can generally afford a sitter if not a nanny.

Now if Olive Garden had a monitored play pen, I would be filling up on breadsticks on limoncello cocktails every week.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 10:28:57 AM »

Even rich people like to spend some time with their kids though.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 06:34:23 AM »

Even rich people like to spend some time with their kids though.

Sure they do, but like all humans they prefer things that aren't logistically painful.

Restaurant + toddler = pain.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 12:56:54 AM »

It doesn't have to be painful. I'm far from the world's best parent, but our kids have been great company at restaurants from ages 1-7.

Maybe we don't go often enough that they view it as something special.

The only particular oddity we had, was when my daughter was one, she would point and laugh when a waitress walked by.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:58:47 AM by gooki »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 09:01:27 AM »

It doesn't have to be painful. I'm far from the world's best parent, but our kids have been great company at restaurants from ages 1-7.

Maybe we don't go often enough that they view it as something special.

The only particular oddity we had, was when my daughter was one, she would point and laugh when a waitress walked by.

Oh, the pain part doesn't come from the children's conduct (we always hope) but from the folderol of getting them there. There's the car seat, the last-minute potty run, and the inevitable battle over whether to wear pants.

SavinMaven

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 06:12:40 PM »
What makes me sad about this article isn't the organic purees that no doubt end up on the floor. It's this sentence:

"At one point, Ella began to melt down–possibly because she was starving and strapped to a sticky chair–and the servers started giving us dirty looks."

Thankfully, this is a child who will never know what it feels like to be starving. To toss that word out so casually in so luxurious an environment is jarring. And yes, of course I understand the mother did not mean this literally - but does that really make it any better? This child had just eaten an entire fruit plate. How can anyone call her post-fruit-plate state "starving" and not be ashamed?

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2018, 08:12:15 AM »
"Starving" is a colloquialism that means "hungry." It's in common usage. Please don't derail discussion with pointless, trivial complaints about word choice.

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2018, 07:22:55 AM »
Typical brunch start time in NYC is 11am.  That fruit plate is likely a small side of fruit, equivalent to one serving.  If both parents work the kid is probably usually in daycare and has eaten 2 meals by the time they are eating.  Definitely meets the criteria of starving in the colloquial, but not literal, sense.  I agree there is something amusing about "my poor baby is starving because this high-end restaurant is not catering to her needs!" 

This child might still have a chance to experience starvation.  Maybe she will be anorexic, or engage in voluntary fasting, or get stranded on a 3-hour cruise, or be the victim of abuse, or suffer from extreme downward social mobility, or get a vicious parasite while on vacation, or become addicted to meth... probably not though!