Author Topic: "If only we did not have to work to earn a living"  (Read 4990 times)

Le Dérisoire

• Stubble
"If only we did not have to work to earn a living"
« on: October 23, 2013, 01:30:04 PM »
So the other day I met this guy who allegedly earn 600K$ a year (he's something like 50-55 years old). It was early in the morning and we had a strenuous work week coming up.

"If only we did not have to work to earn a living...", he told me.

Me: Yes, it would be much better if we were all annuitant.

Him: The good news for me is that you have much more years of work ahead of you than me (I guess he was trying to taunt me or something).

What I said: haha yes it's true (I was told he was extremely narcissistic and that he could easily become hysterical, so I didn't want to cause a tantrum by saying anything else).

What I wanted to say: WTF MAN! You're 50 years old, earn 600K$, want to retire but YOU CAN'T? Big news, you'll never be able to retire if you can't do it right now. Have you heard of lifestyle inflation? You're the equivalent of Zimbabwe on that front. Oh and by the way, I'll probably retire before you even if I'm half your age and earn 1/10 of your salary.

Later that day, he did prove to be narcissistic and hysterical.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: "If only we did not have to work to earn a living"
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 02:02:57 PM »
I dunno.. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he has significant retirement funds, pension, etc.  Is his life really that stressful?  My impression was always that people at his level don't have to sweat the small stuff and are more big picture or client development.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »
Haha wow! Good for you for keeping your mouth shut!!!

Everything is relative, eh?

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 02:28:40 PM »
It's possible that he does have substantial  retirement assets, and could stop working tomorrow if he wanted to.  I know several people who would make a comment like that when they think they're talking to someone for whom it might actually apply.

Since that probably doesn't make any sense, an example.  I know someone who is up answering emails by 430-5am every day.  However, whenever he makes a minor mental error in the morning (as late as 10-11am) he will excuse it saying "it's early."  Which may be true for the university student he's talking to, but is merely a socially acceptable excuse for him since he's been up and moving for hours.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »
Yeah, what's that saying about Discretion is the main part of Valor?  Or, to put it into country terms, my Mamaw told me that you don't gotta say everything you think.  You made a wise choice by not engaging in that discussion.

More to the point:

Remember, though, that he may not've been completely honest with you.  Perhaps he's perfectly able to retire but is staying for other reasons.  I doubt he's unable to afford private health insurance, but it might be that his identity comes from his job, and if he were to quit . . . he'd feel like he's nothing.  I'm thinking of a man I know only in passing, a man whom I'm certain has millions upon millions; he'll work 'til the day he dies because he has nothing but his work.  If he were to get sick and be unable to work, he would probably die.  Literally.  Or perhaps your guy is pretty well happy working, but was having a bad day.  Or it could be any number of other reasons. 

I can tell you that I am perfectly able to retire right now, but -- for several reasons -- it's better for me to stay employed for a couple more years.  Knowing that I can walk out anytime I wish makes it pretty easy to come to work every day.  Also, even though I like my job 90% of the time, that 10% is quite real.  I wish I didn't have to come in so early every day, and I have a couple tasks I'd rather not do -- but are they enough to make me leave, given that staying a couple more years will make me inflation-proof and give me a few other benefits?  Nope. 

But then, I also don't go around complaining about working.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 09:52:48 PM »
This is like the conversation I have with my parents. They both work 60 hours a week, could retire today and spend annually more than they currently do, but won't! Then they are always tired! I explained their retirement savings & pensions to them using extremely conservative estimates, but they are still scared of retiring.  I've been trying to convince them to work part-time only, but I think they like working too much. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 05:55:27 AM »
GuitarStv's response to his comment:

"The great thing about being poor is the freedom.  I don't have to worry about retirement . . . when I want to stop working I just have to stab a douchey rich guy in the face.  I'll get free room and board, and 3 meals a day for nothing for the rest of my life."

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 10:54:04 AM »
GuitarStv's response to his comment:

"The great thing about being poor is the freedom.  I don't have to worry about retirement . . . when I want to stop working I just have to stab a douchey rich guy in the face.  I'll get free room and board, and 3 meals a day for nothing for the rest of my life."

That is both hilarious and horrifying at the same time!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!