Author Topic: "If I lose less than $100/day [gambling] it's like free money"  (Read 3423 times)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
"If I lose less than $100/day [gambling] it's like free money"
« on: February 08, 2016, 08:21:32 AM »
Overheard at a hotel breakfast. I guess he had set himself a budget of $100/day in gambling so if he didn't lose it all it was like saving money...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: "If I lose less than $100/day [gambling] it's like free money"
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 08:33:21 AM »
I know that gamblers like to think that if they are ahead, they are playing with "house money." Maybe he won some contest that gives him $100 a day for life or something like that.....

/s

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 11:17:45 AM »
I know that gamblers like to think that if they are ahead, they are playing with "house money." Maybe he won some contest that gives him $100 a day for life or something like that.....

/s

Haha, we wish! That's a different mindset that we don't understand. Like buying a $50k Chevy Suburban on credit and proudly leaving it running. Or my boss buying coffee every day and not contributing anything to his 403(b) (I'm pretty sure he and his wife pull in about $150k/yr or 3x my family). Sometimes it's our job to help people realize they are crazy. Like, I am going to tell my boss that I'm going to start putting about 20% into savings (we just paid off our debt) and pretend I don't enjoy watching his mind go nuts.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 12:05:40 PM »

/s

I've played some cards occasionally through my life, and generally, you bring X, and 'expect to lose'. AKA: You don't need that money for.. whatever else.

Either way, a lost $100, is a lost $100. Breaking even, after playing for a few hours, is when it becomes... "Free". Though, if you look at the statistics, almost no-one EVER walks even. Generally, half should win and half should lose, if people play the 'good' games. (Not accounting for the <1% house edge, on games like craps or blackjack)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 01:53:55 PM »

/s

Haha, we wish! That's a different mindset that we don't understand. Like buying a $50k Chevy Suburban on credit and proudly leaving it running. Or my boss buying coffee every day and not contributing anything to his 403(b) (I'm pretty sure he and his wife pull in about $150k/yr or 3x my family). Sometimes it's our job to help people realize they are crazy. Like, I am going to tell my boss that I'm going to start putting about 20% into savings (we just paid off our debt) and pretend I don't enjoy watching his mind go nuts.

...but will you ever get another raise from that boss? ;)

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 02:02:50 PM »
Overheard at a hotel breakfast. I guess he had set himself a budget of $100/day in gambling so if he didn't lose it all it was like saving money...

Ive got to imagine the hotel cost $100/ night and it was comped, I love gambling justifications!

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
Ha, I'd never be so disillusioned to say that only losing $100 is 'free money' when I gamble.

I do however consider $100 spent (i.e. lost) over a few solid hours of blackjack / craps a hell of a fun time and money well spent, by myself or especially with friends.