Author Topic: "I don’t blame him for his lifestyle, economically it makes sense."  (Read 5417 times)

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
From Eli Dourado:

"My brother is in this demographic. He went to a fairly crappy state college and dropped out in freshman year. Now he works a crappy job for 16 hours a week and lives with our parents. Funny thing is, they think he's working 40 hours a week and saving up money in order to eventually move out. He made up a whole fictitious second job, even bought 'work clothes' on the internet to fool them."

https://twitter.com/elidourado/status/754663375855054849

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
This only "makes sense" if he worked just enough to cover his rent and necessities and just didnt want/care about retirement, but the fact that he mooches off of others (his parents) is pretty abhorrent and selfish

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
From Eli Dourado:

"My brother is in this demographic. He went to a fairly crappy state college and dropped out in freshman year. Now he works a crappy job for 16 hours a week and lives with our parents. Funny thing is, they think he's working 40 hours a week and saving up money in order to eventually move out. He made up a whole fictitious second job, even bought 'work clothes' on the internet to fool them."

https://twitter.com/elidourado/status/754663375855054849

That person ought to have an honest discussion with their parents. Had a classmate that mooched off of his parents for two semesters. They thought he was going to university but he was riding around looking for someone else to mooch off of.

Hey man, can I ride your couch and watch your TV while you go to class?

Uh, no. (I fully expected little things to start going missing).

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
HOrrible to be mooching off others. He can't afford his lifestyle.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
You can only hope that someone does this to him at some point so that he has an AH-HA! moment.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
the last sentence of that post should ring true here though

"personally i would welcome a shift in the culture to one of shorter work hours, less consumption, and more free time."

i mean thats what we're all working towards here right.  we're just working the regular hours to get our unlimited free time back... on the back end.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
Had a buddy that owned a bar in a rough working class 'hood. It was open almost 24 hrs/day to accommodate shift workers. Every weekday morning a guy would walk in, dressed in a suit and tie. He would then go to the bathroom, put his grubby work clothes on, and work a hard day as a commercial roofer, doing hot tar roofs and other really nasty labor. Every night he would be back in the bar, getting cleaned up and putting the suit back on. He convinced his family that he was a banker.  Not totally in keeping with this thread, but a fact I will never forget.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
Had a buddy that owned a bar in a rough working class 'hood. It was open almost 24 hrs/day to accommodate shift workers. Every weekday morning a guy would walk in, dressed in a suit and tie. He would then go to the bathroom, put his grubby work clothes on, and work a hard day as a commercial roofer, doing hot tar roofs and other really nasty labor. Every night he would be back in the bar, getting cleaned up and putting the suit back on. He convinced his family that he was a banker.  Not totally in keeping with this thread, but a fact I will never forget.
LOL.  Poor bugger.  Not for being a roofer, but for having to put up the front.  I'd cut the family loose if that kind of thing mattered so much to them.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
In most of the country the bankers put on roofer's clothes to go home so their families don't find out they are a banker !

It's also the plot of "man with the twisted lip" one of my favourite Sherlock Holmes stories

tomatops

• Stubble
Re: "I don’t blame him for his lifestyle, economically it makes sense."
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 09:19:57 AM »
That story reminds me of this really oddball, sad, and endearing Japanese film: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Sonata

Basically (don't worry, won't go full spoiler): father loses job, lies to family, still dresses in a suit "for work", but is a janitor in a mall instead.