Author Topic: "I'm Renting a Dog?"  (Read 8005 times)

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
"I'm Renting a Dog?"
« on: March 02, 2017, 02:14:53 PM »
I haven't even finished reading this article yet but I knew it belonged here.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-03-01/i-m-renting-a-dog

Long term leases on pure-bred dogs and cats. Mass hysteria!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
Re: "I'm Renting a Dog?"
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 03:56:43 PM »
I haven't even finished reading this article yet but I knew it belonged here.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-03-01/i-m-renting-a-dog

Long term leases on pure-bred dogs and cats. Mass hysteria!

How terrible for those poor animals. Cats are territory-oriented and don't benefit from being moved around; dogs are pack-oriented and don't benefit from being swapped around with a bunch of different families. The writer would be better served by volunteering as a foster home with an agency serving abandoned pets.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 04:19:27 PM »
Additionally, how awful for the kid whose parents find it easy to return the puppy because, after all, it didn't really belong to them. 

The article says people are more interested in taking home a cute puppy than in reading the details of the contract.  Hint:  If your dog comes with a contract and requires a credit check, you can't afford it.  But what do I know?  My dog came from the Rescue and his adoption fee was $75, which included puppy shots and a coupon for a trip to the Spay-Neuter Clinic. 

mbk

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 04:25:46 PM »
Most of the stories in the article indicate of duplicity on the sellers' side. The buyers were surprised about the leasing aspect. Most of them thought they were buying with a one time payment. Of course, they haven't read the fine print.

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 05:29:51 PM »
They also knowingly paid $2400 for a dog! That's before the fine print kicks in.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 05:46:33 PM »
What a bunch of idiots.

Incidentally, my beloved widdle kitty-schookums was free from the humane society. That included all vaccinations and neutering.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 06:39:16 PM »
Favorite quote:

"There is just no way I should pay over $5000 for a $2000 puppy."

Yeah, because that's the part you should be outraged about... Personally, I have yet to meet a $2000 puppy, probably because I would never dream of spending that much for a pet. All of our pets have been rescues and are incredible animals. Puppy mill owners should rot in a special corner of hell.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 06:45:08 PM »
"(The CEO of Wags Lending) rents his apartment. He leases his car. He owns his horse. He’s drawn to the rugged individualism expressed in the novels of Ayn Rand and the blog Cowboy Ethics, but he hastens to argue that while he profits off high-cost lending, he’s also improving the lives of subprime borrowers. He is, he writes in a mission statement on his personal website, “living in a Postmodern culture while maintaining my old American West roots and Christian values.”

One more reason Christianity is going down the tubes. And I say this as a Christian- though being associated w/ the above makes me reluctant to use the term.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 07:21:44 PM »
I can't even...

No, really, I can't even comment about this.  It's all too upsetting.  Everything about this is wrong...

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 06:26:00 AM »
  • I just cannot understand how someone could pay an upfront fee of any amount and then sign a contract without understanding what the contract entails.
  • As with everyone else, this is terrible for the animals IF they are returned
  • I want to be somewhat angry or disappointed in the lending company, but hey kudos to them for creating another revenue stream because people are idiots as well as terrible decision makers.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 07:39:55 AM »
"(The CEO of Wags Lending) rents his apartment. He leases his car. He owns his horse. He’s drawn to the rugged individualism expressed in the novels of Ayn Rand and the blog Cowboy Ethics, but he hastens to argue that while he profits off high-cost lending, he’s also improving the lives of subprime borrowers. He is, he writes in a mission statement on his personal website, “living in a Postmodern culture while maintaining my old American West roots and Christian values.”

One more reason Christianity is going down the tubes. And I say this as a Christian- though being associated w/ the above makes me reluctant to use the term.

I have no issues with the values of most religious folks, when it comes to business. That said, in thirty years of being in business, the worst screwing that I have ever gotten, or seen handed out, were without fail,  given by pathological liars who worked, "I am a Christian" somewhere into their stream of bullshit.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 08:18:12 AM »
What a bunch of idiots.

Incidentally, my beloved widdle kitty-schookums was free from the humane society. That included all vaccinations and neutering.

Our first dog was $35 because she was spayed when she got to the shelter. The second was $100 because he needed to be neutered.  I think the highest it goes is $145 if they need a lot of vet care.
Cats are $15 or $85 if they need spay/neuter. 

I don't mind paying because while they aren't a no kill shelter, they do their best to be one. I know of a pit bull that has been there 6 years. The volunteers love him, but he hasn't responded well to training so he isn't adoptable.

"There is just no way I should pay over $5000 for a $2000 puppy."

What the hell makes a puppy worth $2000! That's insane.
(I have a few neighbors that have spent almost $1,000 on a puppy.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 08:28:05 AM »

I have no issues with the values of most religious folks, when it comes to business. That said, in thirty years of being in business, the worst screwing that I have ever gotten, or seen handed out, were without fail,  given by pathological liars who worked, "I am a Christian" somewhere into their stream of bullshit.

i thought the bible had strict rules on usury

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 08:40:01 AM »

i thought the bible had strict rules on usury

It does. Along with lying and stealing. Pretty much all religions have a rule about not ripping other people off unless you want major negative consequences. That doesn't mean that people who have already decided to be con artists or rip-off artists elect to follow them.

A person willing to lie, cheat, steal, and con knows he or she is doing a vile, antisocial thing. A person willing to do that is also willing to abuse religion in the hope of setting up a mark to be fleeced. This is why, when I'm in a business transaction and hear any kind of religious preamble, I head quickly toward the door.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 09:20:58 AM »
“...this cat is ruining my credit score.”

This spurred me to finally put measures in place to stop our dog ruining our 800+ FICO scores.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 09:51:08 AM »

This spurred me to finally put measures in place to stop our dog ruining our 800+ FICO scores.

I'm going to have to have a serious discussion with the Chihuahua, but every time I try to discuss the issue with her she wags so hard her bum moves from side to side. I snuggle her up and that gets the wagging under control, but instead of listening to or participating in my learned financial discourse she sticks her tongue up my nose. It's small enough to fit.

It's not that the Venomous Spaz Beast spends money. She simply has a paper and cloth stealing fetish and believes that a $20 bill, if nosed-out from someone's purse or taken from an envelope, makes an ideal toy because it won't dissolve in her fearsome saliva. Overall I think the solution is to not leave my daughter's allowance on the floor outside her room.

mindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 10:03:42 AM »
I will never understand why people don't read what they sign. I know it takes a little time and sometimes a magnifying glass, but I'd rather give up a little time now rather than be sorry later. Those poor animals.

Wilson Hall

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 11:29:33 AM »

I'm going to have to have a serious discussion with the Chihuahua, but every time I try to discuss the issue with her she wags so hard her bum moves from side to side. I snuggle her up and that gets the wagging under control, but instead of listening to or participating in my learned financial discourse she sticks her tongue up my nose. It's small enough to fit.

Awww, TGS, aren't Chihuahuas the cutest? But their interest in fiscal responsibility and saving for a rainy day is somewhat lacking, I've found. Our terrier mix appears to give some thought to delayed gratification, given that she likes to hide her treats for later enjoyment. That doesn't stop the Chihuahua from digging them out and consuming them, the little thief.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 11:47:37 AM »
How mentally defective do people have to agree to this? Do they just blindly sign stuff and not read anything? I have a hard time believing this arrangement wasn't explained to them in any way at the 'store.'

garion

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017, 12:39:57 PM »

My husband and I got a lot of mileage out of this quote. The only way our cat could ruin our credit score is if he somehow developed opposable thumbs, took out secret credit cards with our information, and began ordering himself fresh seafood.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 12:44:42 PM »
What a bunch of idiots.

I am delighting in the fact that someone with an internet name of Warlord1986 has a "widdle kitty-schookums."

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 03:24:55 PM »

We all witness the "take back Christmas" nonsense each year. I wish folks would "take back Christianity" and point out what it really, really takes to be Christian. The Gold Rule and Ten Commandments are a good start.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 05:55:31 PM »

I have to remember to keep the credit cards away from the cats.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 07:01:49 PM »
What a bunch of idiots.

I am delighting in the fact that someone with an internet name of Warlord1986 has a "widdle kitty-schookums."

His name is Micheletto, but he also answers to Miccy-Kitty. He was named for a 15th Century assassin for the Vatican during  the Borgia papacy. The assassin is said to have strangled two people at the same time. Miccy-Kitty meows if he can see the bottom of his super dish.

He is the best of kitties. :)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2017, 07:05:13 PM »
Teaser and Chelsea

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 07:21:57 PM »
Teaser and Chelsea

Aaaaaah, it looks like they're kissing! So adorable! This thread has taken a turn for the better!

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2017, 12:52:04 AM »

I'd love to see someone go through the mental gymnastics of being both a Randian Objectivist and a Christian.

We all witness the "take back Christmas" nonsense each year. I wish folks would "take back Christianity" and point out what it really, really takes to be Christian. The Gold Rule and Ten Commandments are a good start.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2017, 08:31:28 PM »
How mentally defective do people have to agree to this? Do they just blindly sign stuff and not read anything? I have a hard time believing this arrangement wasn't explained to them in any way at the 'store.'

I find it easy to believe that the pet store staff have no idea what they're giving the customer to sign.  They probably think it's a financing arrangement, like the payment plans for braces that I see advertised at the dentist's office.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2017, 09:28:02 AM »
All of my pets have been "free" from friends who had oops litters or needed to rehome a pet.  What a bunch of liars.  NONE of those pets were free. Food, maintenance, toys to be chewed up, sprinkler systems to be chewed up, puppy training to prevent the chewing, and on and on...

I can't imagine buying a pet for $2000.  They're expensive enough without the designer price tag.  I don't even want to think about adding financing costs.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 07:54:56 AM »
“We like niches where we’re dealing with emotional borrowers,” Wunderlich said.
"We are looking for idiots who are too preoccupied to read the fine print"

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 01:19:01 AM »

Yes.  Unfortunately, being a real Christian is also supposed to preclude being judgey.  Not that you'd know it from the traditional stereotype of Christians, and those stereotypes come from somewhere, amiright? 

Anyway, I wonder if God might make an exception and allow me to be at least a teeny bit judgey of someone who claims to be "enriching the lives of sub-prime borrowers" while really just living high on the hog off the profits of their high-cost borrowing.  Oh, and toying with the lives of other living creatures - also part of God's created order - at the same time. 

Probably not though.  *sigh*  I'll just go confess now...

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 10:35:19 AM »
My wife has had her dog for 11 years. Our local humane society has a daily dog rental program hoping that people will take them home forever. My wife and I have been asked before if the dog is ours or a rental. It's kind of a weird question to ask but it's relevant.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2017, 11:38:48 AM »
Yes.  Unfortunately, being a real Christian is also supposed to preclude being judgey.  Not that you'd know it from the traditional stereotype of Christians, and those stereotypes come from somewhere, amiright? 

Anyway, I wonder if God might make an exception and allow me to be at least a teeny bit judgey of someone who claims to be "enriching the lives of sub-prime borrowers" while really just living high on the hog off the profits of their high-cost borrowing.  Oh, and toying with the lives of other living creatures - also part of God's created order - at the same time. 

I don't know, I'm not religious, but didn't Jesus wreck a bunch of moneylenders for being dicks?

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 12:47:47 PM »

I don't know, I'm not religious, but didn't Jesus wreck a bunch of moneylenders for being dicks?

I heard it was for hanging out and doing business in the temple while other people were trying to worship. Which is one way in which to be a dick, I suppose. No word on what their interest rate was like.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2017, 01:23:04 PM »
They were using His Father's house to sell their goods. They were using the Lord to make money.

Much like this asshat saying he's Christian in order to gain the trust of the gullible and take their money.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2017, 12:32:43 AM »
Right!  What TheGrimSqueaker and Warlord1986 said.

Also, since we understand Jesus to be God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit all equally "God"), he's the one who is allowed to pass judgement, while the rest of us are supposed try to realize that none of us are perfect, so we all need some forgiveness from him.

Also, I find it amusing that people with usernames like TheGrimSqueaker and Warlord 1986 are the ones who are chiming in with answers from the Bible.  Like teh kitty pictures upthread, it appears incongruous.  :-)

Much like the day that I came by the church on a Saturday night (I'm an Anglican minister) when our hall was being rented out, and found someone parked in the "Reserved Parking for Priest" spot with a license plate that said "Wicked 1".  (See photo below)

(Also, by the way, I would never have put up a "reserved parking for priest" sign - it was already there when I came.  It seems so hierarchical, out of keeping with how I view my role compared to other members of the church, or how we should be welcoming visitors.  But my church members feel it honours the role of the priest.  And now we are straying really far off the topic of renting dogs...)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2017, 08:38:01 AM »
Also, I find it amusing that people with usernames like TheGrimSqueaker and Warlord 1986 are the ones who are chiming in with answers from the Bible.  Like teh kitty pictures upthread, it appears incongruous.  :-)

One of the first things I had to do as an atheist was read the Bible, Qur'an, Torah, and several other holy books cover to cover and develop an extremely good knowledge of exactly what parts I consider less than accurate. It was a time consuming process, but I found it necessary in order to avoid extended discussions with stupid people. Not that I consider religious people to be stupid: many of the brightest people I know are believers. However they are also mature enough to treat other perspectives with respect, and are not belligerent by nature.

I find belligerent people frequently assume that the only reason you disagree with them is because you don't understand their position. They aren't necessarily well informed themselves, but they devote substantial effort to "educate" you until you agree with their dogma. The harassment and ridicule continues because they don't let up until you either snap (confirming their suspicions that you simply don't want to engage them in "discussion") or prove that you have a thorough understanding of what it is you're rejecting. I find the phenomenon isn't unique to religion. It's considered a legitimate and appropriate way to interact with other people, and it's becoming increasingly more common especially in public discourse.

Consider money management, for example. This thread started by discussing lease-like financial instruments to allow people to pay what most of us consider to be ridiculous amounts of money for a dog. It sounds absurd to us because we're aware of several far cheaper ways to get that kind of pet. However to a person who does not have the brainpower to read and understand the fine print (half of all adults are on the left side of the bell curve) it's nothing but an exploitative trap. That, I think, is why the religions of the book have restrictions on borrowing and lending, and a prejudice against them.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2017, 02:44:49 PM »

If you saw me IRL you would never attach me to my username. I'm a fairly skinny woman and not a large, bearded Viking Warlord with a broadsword and an ax. This saddens me more than I can say. :( This also happens in regards to my resume. Some recruiters really don't think women can do stuff.

Getting back to the topic, it could be argued that hypocrites are the Lord's pet peeve. Assuming that this dude really is a Christian (there are a lot of people who call themselves such, but who intentionally behave contrary to the faith.) then he should watch himself. Jesus warned us about people like that. "Beware ye the hypocrites and Pharisees."

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2017, 02:59:16 PM »

If you saw me IRL you would never attach me to my username. I'm a fairly skinny woman and not a large, bearded Viking Warlord with a broadsword and an ax. This saddens me more than I can say. :( This also happens in regards to my resume. Some recruiters really don't think women can do stuff.

Getting back to the topic, it could be argued that hypocrites are the Lord's pet peeve. Assuming that this dude really is a Christian (there are a lot of people who call themselves such, but who intentionally behave contrary to the faith.) then he should watch himself. Jesus warned us about people like that. "Beware ye the hypocrites and Pharisees." 

Aw, too bad!   ;-)

One of the first things I had to do as an atheist was read the Bible, Qur'an, Torah, and several other holy books cover to cover and develop an extremely good knowledge of exactly what parts I consider less than accurate. It was a time consuming process, but I found it necessary in order to avoid extended discussions with stupid people. Not that I consider religious people to be stupid: many of the brightest people I know are believers. However they are also mature enough to treat other perspectives with respect, and are not belligerent by nature.

I find belligerent people frequently assume that the only reason you disagree with them is because you don't understand their position. They aren't necessarily well informed themselves, but they devote substantial effort to "educate" you until you agree with their dogma. The harassment and ridicule continues because they don't let up until you either snap (confirming their suspicions that you simply don't want to engage them in "discussion") or prove that you have a thorough understanding of what it is you're rejecting. I find the phenomenon isn't unique to religion. It's considered a legitimate and appropriate way to interact with other people, and it's becoming increasingly more common especially in public discourse.

Consider money management, for example. This thread started by discussing lease-like financial instruments to allow people to pay what most of us consider to be ridiculous amounts of money for a dog. It sounds absurd to us because we're aware of several far cheaper ways to get that kind of pet. However to a person who does not have the brainpower to read and understand the fine print (half of all adults are on the left side of the bell curve) it's nothing but an exploitative trap. That, I think, is why the religions of the book have restrictions on borrowing and lending, and a prejudice against them.

Well said, in regard to trends in public discourse.  And I appreciate the thoughtfulness/careful phrasing of your post too. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2017, 05:22:05 PM »
I was recently poking around on the local (Washington DC) craigslist and someone was offering to rent their cat out for $20 per day.

My lifelong experience with cats is that they do not welcome travel, new environments, and strangers in general.

Also - who wants to rent some weirdos cat?

OTH, my dog is very nice and has never met a stranger and would gladly go with anyone holding a stick. I would, however, never trust her to someone who wanted to rent her to bring her back because she is the most excellent dog ever.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 08:10:45 AM »

There is hope for you - those Viking graves where warriors were buried with their weapons?  Many were women.  Of course that doesn't help with the beard part.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 08:12:01 AM »
I was recently poking around on the local (Washington DC) craigslist and someone was offering to rent their cat out for $20 per day.

My lifelong experience with cats is that they do not welcome travel, new environments, and strangers in general.

Also - who wants to rent some weirdos cat?

OTH, my dog is very nice and has never met a stranger and would gladly go with anyone holding a stick. I would, however, never trust her to someone who wanted to rent her to bring her back because she is the most excellent dog ever.

You have my dog?  Everyone is her new best friend. 

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 08:24:26 AM »

There is hope for you - those Viking graves where warriors were buried with their weapons?  Many were women.  Of course that doesn't help with the beard part.

Ooooh, yeah, I read about those and squeed with joy! That was a really exciting revelation actually. There were real life Nordic Xenas!

But yeah, the lack of a beard will haunt me forever. The sight of lumberjacks taunts me. I turn a longing gaze towards the windows whenever I pass an overpriced coffee shop frequented by bearded hipsters.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!