Author Topic: "I'm obese because I don't get enough government money"  (Read 54577 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: "I'm obese because I don't get enough government money"
« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2014, 12:30:02 PM »
There's nothing wrong with eating wheat.  It's all about quantities.

As far as'Wheat Belly' . . . there's some value in the book, but it draws many erroneous and misleading conclusions.  For an analysis of the book:
http://www.aaccnet.org/publications/plexus/cfw/pastissues/2012/opendocuments/cfw-57-4-0177.pdf

Posthumane

• Bristles
    • Getting Around Canada
« Reply #201 on: November 25, 2014, 04:58:36 PM »
I find it interesting that some people have denounced walking as completely ineffective for weight loss. While running burns about twice as much energy (or more) per unit time compared to walking, the amount burned per unit distance is very similar with running only using 10-20% more energy. If you are severely restricted on free time than running is obviously better, but I find that I can walk much more than twice as long as I can run. I try to walk at least 5 km a day and I notice that for longer periods when I can stick to that I feel better and lose a bit of weight, whereas when I don't do as much walking I feel more lethargic and the weight starts (ever so slowly) creeping up. The thing is, I never really feel tired after a 5 km walk, whereas a 5 km run leaves me drained for a long time. I've never really been overweight much and I attribute that in part to the walking I do, since I do almost no food restriction and only small amounts of more intensive exercise.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #202 on: November 25, 2014, 05:26:45 PM »
I find it interesting that some people have denounced walking as completely ineffective for weight loss. While running burns about twice as much energy (or more) per unit time compared to walking, the amount burned per unit distance is very similar with running only using 10-20% more energy. If you are severely restricted on free time than running is obviously better, but I find that I can walk much more than twice as long as I can run. I try to walk at least 5 km a day and I notice that for longer periods when I can stick to that I feel better and lose a bit of weight, whereas when I don't do as much walking I feel more lethargic and the weight starts (ever so slowly) creeping up. The thing is, I never really feel tired after a 5 km walk, whereas a 5 km run leaves me drained for a long time. I've never really been overweight much and I attribute that in part to the walking I do, since I do almost no food restriction and only small amounts of more intensive exercise.

I agree - adding walking to your day is great for weight loss.  You aren't going to drop 5 pounds per week, but a 100-200 calorie difference will still help you lose a pound a month. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2014, 10:53:58 AM »
mm1970 -  Interesting progression,  thanks for all the details.   Might I suggest the USDA is in the business of promoting agriculture and food consumption?   

In my very, very, humble opinion it is not just you that shouldn't eat wheat,  it is all of us.  (check out the Wheat Belly book for why this is)

We would all be a bit slimmer if we would avoid wheat and sugar.   That said I recently attempted to do that and did great for a few months.   Now I'm hooked on the wheat again, shit, damn, hell.   And my weight has magically blossomed back to where I was. 

For poor folks, I think there are just a few things that tax payers should fund ---  some meat,  some potatoes,  some olive or grape seed oil and lots of veggies.    When I was eating only those categories I was healthier and happier and the weight loss was marginally slow.  Age does play a factor.  At 55 the pounds don't just melt away like they did at 40.
Yes, Wheat Belly is on my Christmas wish list.  I haven't read it, but my neighbor has - she mentioned it to me, a couple of years ago when I was very resistant to giving it up.

I don't feel like i have a problem with wheat, in general - no digestive or auto-immune issues.  For me, simply, it's a matter of weight these days.  And I'm not saying I'm going to give it up entirely - just this month of November (nearly 100%, I don't stress if it's a minor ingredient).  It's been an eye-opening journey.  My weight loss RATE has tripled in this last month of giving it up, total calorie content remaining the same (1.5 lbs a week vs. 0.5 lbs a week).  Only other major change besides the sugar and alcohol (also, minor parts of my diet before) is this darned burpee challenge.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #204 on: November 27, 2014, 10:29:24 PM »

I totally agree. I personally hate running and I suck at it. But I actually mostly enjoy walking, even in poor weather. Running is better exercise, yes; but if I hate running and like walking, which am I more likely to stick with? Pretty obvious to me.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2014, 06:01:08 AM »
If you have a ton of time to burn, going on regular long walks seems like a reasonable way to fend of fat by burning some calories.  Running burns off more calories in a shorter period of time though.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2014, 08:01:56 AM »
If you have a ton of time to burn, going on regular long walks seems like a reasonable way to fend of fat by burning some calories.  Running burns off more calories in a shorter period of time though.

Well... We've already established that it's not about the calories. So..... <insert roll eyes smiley here>

In all seriousness, whatever keeps you active and healthy. Regardless of whether it is actually supported by the laws of thermodynamics.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!