Author Topic: "How one woman spends her $43000 salary"  (Read 8016 times)

5oclockshadowmustacheNYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
"How one woman spends her $43000 salary"
« on: July 10, 2018, 08:46:14 PM »
If you want to see the furthest thing from mustachianism in regards to attitudes about debt.  Also, she's a career adviser.

https://video.glamour.com/watch/how-one-woman-spends-her-43-000-salary

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
Re: "How one woman spends her $43000 salary"
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 09:15:46 PM »
If you want to see the furthest thing from mustachianism in regards to attitudes about debt.  Also, she's a career adviser.

That is painful.  She doesn't pay rent but puts only $91 / month towards debt?

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:02:03 PM »
How do you pay $338 in utilities if you're presumably splitting that with at least two other people?!

EDIT: Okay, the discussion of Mercury being in retrograde is where my eyes really started to cross.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:03:53 PM by Tass »

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 12:53:29 AM »
Lol I don't buy it.

189 bucks is half a phone bill?
338 is half the utilities?
2500 in withdrawals, 500 of which was a loan, so she spent 400 more than she had?

Golly gee, three Ubers in one day seems like, sooooo weird...

5oclockshadowmustacheNYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 06:57:51 AM »

That is painful.  She doesn't pay rent but puts only $91 / month towards debt?

She also just assumes that the debt "will always be there".  Well yeah, of course!  You're barely making the minimum payment!

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 07:52:35 AM »
it was painful to listen to, I couldn't make it all the way to the end.....
I didn't understand the point of the video.....she had 'prepared' because things were printed off, but had no idea what alot of things were for.....

and she really lost me when she 'withdrawed' money.  I think she should ask for her college tution back, doesn't seem like money well spent.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 08:17:37 AM »
There is SO much she could optimize. I think her brain will be the biggest obstacle though. Give up the astrology and work with the facts. Oh, and take your lunch to work!

gpyros85

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 08:56:07 PM »
Mini Case Study

Savings $1,600
Debt      $64,500

$2,118 /month take home (After 401k deductions of unknown amount)
What is commuter benefits?

Goal of ONLY paying off credit card. of $4,500
Student loan will ALWAYS be there, pay it when it is done (Very Sad)

Utilites                 $338
Subscriptions        $6
Savings Account    $25
Student Loan        $91

$1,607

Ways to save self proclaimed. Stop eating COMPLETELY, no food (Which is obviously a desperate cry of sarcastic)
lattes and macchiatos, more expensive than coffee (I honestly don't even know what a lattee or macchiato is!! nor the price)
Cut back on Uber (Why are you using Uber in NYC? The bus and subway work really good! Also, walking is good for health.

$40 expense for "I wanna create videos on instagram about bad dating experiences in NYC"
$25.90 for some overpriced T-Shirt that says "Holla at ya girl"
$120 random withdraw
14.12 beauty supply
$200 random withdraw
$23 Turtle Bay Happy Hour (That's not to bad)
$20 cash back
12.86 Uber
$43.14 Luldrow house
$189 T-Mobile (Where the hell plan is this??!!)
$5 itunes
$10 square cash
$150 random withdraw
$200 Gas Bill
$70   TD Credit Card
$45   Barclay Card (Macbook, which is the most overpriced computer)
$100 Chase Credit Card
$125 Paypal Account

I lost track!! There is many more purchases not even included.... WEEW

5oclockshadowmustacheNYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 08:54:38 AM »
$2,118 /month take home (After 401k deductions of unknown amount)
What is commuter benefits?

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that it's the company paying for her monthly metro card pre-tax.  I know that my former roommates, all employees of JPMC, got this perk.

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 10:00:15 AM »
yeesh.

-$338 in utilities is extreme, especially for someone living in NY. Even in the worst of summer, when I was living in an apartment in my unMustachian days, the electricity and gas was never above $110/mo.

savings:
-cancel the monthly subscriptions
-stop eating out, stop buying coffee. if it's that important, buy a coffee machine...1 time expense that pays for itself very quickly if you're spending $7 a day on the stuff.
-you don't get to take dance classes while still in debt.
-stop taking uber. you work in downtown Brooklyn and live with your parents.
-Get rid of square cash/venmo/anything like that. These things just exist to profit off sharing money electronically with friends. "Square up" in cash.
-Making instagram videos about bad dating is nothing novel or interesting, keep the $40 next time. No one wants to hear about a stranger's dating fails in a way that would ever generate income to cover the cost.
-Astrology is stupid, if you paid to have the tea leaves read, stop.
-Stop buying stupid t-shirts. It just makes you look desperate when you wear them.
-You need snacks to be entertained? Snacks are for nourishment, not entertainment. Maybe get more out of your expensive meals out, or bring food?
-$43 on drinks and food to see a show? Jesus.
-$23 for a night out is fairly reasonable, especially at Turtle Bay (I've been there). How do you spend almost twice that at a show where you are mainly there to support your friend???
-Get a new phone plan. Mine at $60/month is decidedly unMustachian, how the hell do you spend $189/month on a phone???
-Not allowed to buy anything from iTunes till out of debt. Protip, if you want to listen to music, it's free on Youtube, why do you need to pay to download it???
-I've been to Fisherman's cove and never spent more than $10 there in one shot. Delicious jerk chicken, but at $13 that's enough to feed a family.
-$200 for a natural gas bill? WTH???
-More iTunes.
-Cell phone games are stupid and not worth spending money on. It's backwards evolution. You have huge HDTV's and video game systems, and we've reverted to playing games on a 7 inch screen...
-Stop loaning everyone money. Even if they pay you back, this is stupid. Maybe get better friends that don't ask you for money all the time. I mean, I've taken my friends out, they've taken me out, but it has never resulted in me giving them money cuz they're out of it and them owing me later, or vice versa, or one of us asking for a loan basically. I mean, at least not since the 7th grade...

UGH, that was PAINFUL!!!!

My first job was for 55K/year (WARNING: this is pre me learning about Mustachianism):
After 401k contribution (approx. 7500/yr) and taxes, my net was 1391.67 biweekly. I also worked a second job at the time as an independent contractor on weekends, which was good for about $100/month (83/month after taxes, which would be due at the end of the year since I didn't make enough to hit the threshold to have to file quarterly).

So 2866.34 monthly income approx. (actually slightly more, but it's just easier to double the bi-weekly amounts to do a budget, and then you wind up with 1-2 paychecks each year that are just completely yours!):
And I still remember most of my expenses:
-$400/month to parents to assist them with the costs of living at home
-$91 monthly Metrocard
-$600/month eating out, drinks out, volunteering travel costs, and volunteering meal costs (I know, most of that was pretty stupid but I don't regret the volunteering part at all)
-$1000/month student loans (monthly payment was 200 and change but I wanted to kill these as fast as possible so I always put extra towards principal - they were paid off in just about a year)
-Rest to savings.

I can't believe that pre-Mustache me blew this lady out of the water like that with savings. So many of her purchases are just downright stupid!!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:10:39 AM by Raymond Reddington »

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 02:46:11 PM »
Looking at it, this is probably normal

Sadly, I suspect she is right.

Tiniest Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 07:27:46 AM »
So have you ever looked at the Money Diaries on Refinery29? That would supply this forum fodder to chew on for a long, long time.

EngineeringFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 07:50:30 AM »
It surprised me how she had no idea what some of the largest line items in her expenses were. For example, she could talk at-length about the uber ride and the cocktail she bought when she went out, but had no idea what several withdrawals for over >$100 were. This would terrify me and I would worry my account had been compromised!

mjr

• Bristles
  • Retired at 52
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 01:58:56 PM »
To be fair to her, Mercury is in retrograde right now

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 02:39:05 PM »
Worst part about Starbucks is it’s not even for coffee, just lattes and macchiatos.  How many calls are in those?

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 07:02:03 PM »
Worst part about Starbucks is it’s not even for coffee, just lattes and macchiatos.  How many calls are in those?

As many as an equal ounce milk shake. (Not really joking either)

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 07:18:56 PM »

Ha, not surprised!  Hopefully someone can help this girl!

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 07:37:42 PM »

To be fair, a 'Latte' is pretty harmless, its just coffee with cream(milk) the Macchiato's are all almost entire mixed with caramel.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2018, 05:11:42 PM »

To be fair, a 'Latte' is pretty harmless, its just coffee with cream(milk) the Macchiato's are all almost entire mixed with caramel.

No a Macchiato is also fine.  In it's base form it is also just espresso with milk.  I confuse the Starbucks folks when I stop once in a blue moon and I give it back to them when they dump the caramel in, Umm I ordered a plain Macchiato not the caramel monstrosity.

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2018, 06:10:21 PM »
I didn't see any grocery store expenses or "household/cleaning/laundry/drycleaning" expenses in her list.  She lives with her family - are they also feeding her and paying for household expenses?

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 09:44:56 PM »

No a Macchiato is also fine.  In it's base form it is also just espresso with milk.  I confuse the Starbucks folks when I stop once in a blue moon and I give it back to them when they dump the caramel in, Umm I ordered a plain Macchiato not the caramel monstrosity.

Do you give it back if they put coffee in your mile when you order a “latte”?

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2018, 03:44:35 PM »

Do you give it back if they put coffee in your mile when you order a “latte”?

Was this to me?  What exactly were you trying to say.  I honestly don't order Latte's much when I randomly visit Starbucks since Cappucinos,  macchiatos and Americanos are better IMHO. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!