Author Topic: "Here’s a Good Reason Not to Fund Your 401(k)"  (Read 3151 times)

sabertooth3

• Stubble
"Here’s a Good Reason Not to Fund Your 401(k)"
« on: December 29, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »
http://time.com/money/3640058/why-not-fund-your-401k/

"Don't get too caught up in the amount of money you're saving for retirement. Focus instead on the income you'll have."

TLDR: Financial planner recommends buying rental properties instead of IRAs and 401(k)s.

27y/oTennesseeRetiree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: "Here’s a Good Reason Not to Fund Your 401(k)"
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 11:22:31 AM »
Why not buy rental properties inside of your IRA?

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »
http://time.com/money/3640058/why-not-fund-your-401k/

"Don't get too caught up in the amount of money you're saving for retirement. Focus instead on the income you'll have."

TLDR: Financial planner recommends buying rental properties instead of IRAs and 401(k)s.

Actually makes sense to me.

This whole site is focused on a)bringing your expenses down while b)finding the passive income to support those expenses.  This guy is simply saying that if she wants most of that income to come from rental properties then she doesn't need to worry about fully funding her 401k.

He even says that is somewhat of a special case since it's letting her follow a passion and skill-set she has.

Mustachian Model?

Louis the Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 11:53:53 AM »
We're actually planning on doing this very thing. I have a 5% ownership in some family owned properties in the state I grew up in and DH and I are planning on dropping his 401k back to the match this year and funneling the rest plus all of my (very small) income into a down payment for our first rental property. We're taking the knowledge and expertise I have gained and the mentorship of my family and diversifying our portfolio. We'll take a tax hit in the short term but have passive income in the long term.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
This is like any other form of "investing". If you have the know how and the intestinal fortitude, than why not? If you understand what you are investing in and can sleep at night, go for it. If you bomb you can always rely on Social Security..........it's a big choice. No guts, no glory.