Author Topic: "After 30, you should never iron your own shirts or clean your own bathroom"  (Read 6293 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
And now for this week's anti-Mustachian clickbait listicle.

http://www.executivestyle.com.au/30-things-you-should-never-do-once-you-hit-30-grzhdg

One or two fair points in this, i.e. don't have energy drinks for breakfast, but also a lot of pretentious waffle.

7. Bring home hard rubbish

Never okay, but if you're still doing it in your 30s you've officially graduated to 'wretched poverty'.

8. Iron your own business shirts

It's boring and time consuming. The local laundromat will wash and iron your shirts for about $3 a pop. It will change your entire life.

9. Clean your own shower

As above. Hire a professional and spend the time doing something constructive with your life.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
26. Get into online arguments
Nothing you say is going to change anyone's opinion. Step away from the computer, take a deep breath and walk around the block, you'll feel much better.

Well I guess we should just delete the entire off topic sub forum then :D

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Nothing you say is going to change anyone's opinion. Step away from the computer, take a deep breath and walk around the block, you'll feel much better.

Some of us aren't 30 yet. ;)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Can't believe tabletop gaming was on the list!! I thought the whole point of being over 30 would be that more of my peers would want to come over for pizza and board games instead of going out bingeing.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
What on earth is "hard rubbish"?

I agree with 1, 3, and 20...

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache

Verge collection treasure

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas

D: awful! By 30 I expect to be an even better verge picker than I am now!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian

I also had no idea what hard rubbish was. And your post didn't clarify anything.  Those words in that order looks just like a jumble of meaningless words. 
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas

I also had no idea what hard rubbish was. And your post didn't clarify anything.  Those words in that order looks just like a jumble of meaningless words. 
kerbside pickup? Curbside pickup? People put big pieces of rubbish that don't fit in their bin and that should go to the dump/tip/landfill on the bit of space in front of their house once a year, and the council sends a truck around to pick it up.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache

kerbside pickup? Curbside pickup? People put big pieces of rubbish that don't fit in their bin and that should go to the dump/tip/landfill on the bit of space in front of their house once a year, and the council sends a truck around to pick it up.

We call it big trash day and it is my favorite day of the year.

JG in Hangzhou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need to write a new list.  What not to do after FIRE and 30.
1. Worry about wearing an ironed business shirt.
2. Care about the time it takes to play a tabletop game, or how young the people are.
3. Read internet lists...

Sorry, too lazy to finish the list.  Anyone help?

radram

• Pencil Stache
The author lost me at the first 2 sentences. "Back in our grandparent's day, growing up used to mean marriage, kids, and a mortgage. But a generation later ..."

Isn't that 2 generations later?

Article was full of thing I never did to begin with.  #30 was spot on.

radram

• Pencil Stache
2. Care about the time it takes to play a tabletop game, or how young the people are.

I'll play.

4. Teleconference

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache

New list:
If you're a Mustachian, aspiring or hardcore, here's what you do:
1. Stop reading BS Internet lists.
2. Focus on 1.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
For what it's worth, my mother agrees.  By age 30 you should be training your children to take over those tasks. Well, maybe not the ironing, they may still be a little young for that. But they can fold the rest of the clothes while you iron.

I avoid ironing by working in a jeans and t-shirt environment.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
31. Stop making list telling people at which age they should stop doing certain things.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
2. Focus on 1

But, then what would I be angry about!? I can't spend all day on political websites you know! :P

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
2. Focus on 1

But, then what would I be angry about!? I can't spend all day on political websites you know! :P
Why do you need to be angry?
If you want to be angry, then direct that into getting off utilities and on renewable energy sources (wind, solar). Or stop driving and start walking and cycling. Or get off the damn MMM forums where rascals like Jinga Nation will egg you on.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
I agree with all of these. I'm still working on #26 for myself though.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
31. Stop making list telling people at which age they should stop doing certain things.

That was actually #30.

30. Listen to bad advice

Take life advice from random lists you find online? If you're over 30, you might take them with a grain of salt.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
These aren't terrible, but do seem geared towards the wannabe urban elite. I only disagree with 3,

8) Buy wrinkle free and you shouldnt need to iron. Even if you do, it takes a few minutes.

9) Cleaning your shower isn't that big a deal. Try owning a home...

25) I could care less about the quantity and variety of liquor I have in my house. I don't plan on hosting a mad men cocktail party where a professional bartender is expected.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache

That was actually #30.

30. Listen to bad advice

Take life advice from random lists you find online? If you're over 30, you might take them with a grain of salt.

I didn't want to dignify the writer with a click.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
18. Have boring friends

Oh the irony, it burns! Nothing more boring than narcissists obsessed with image and status.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache

I'll play.

4. Teleconference

5. set the alarm clock
6. compose work emails
7. wait for the bus
8. commuting in general
9. rush hour traffic jams
10. shopping for work clothes

Oh this is fun!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23

Some of us aren't 30 yet. ;)

Only a few more years to get my act together.... :D

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Honestly though who the heck hires out ironing your shirts. It takes less than a minute to do, seriously it would take me more time to drive my clothes there than it does for me to fire up the iron and press my shirts.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Honestly though who the heck hires out ironing your shirts. It takes less than a minute to do, seriously it would take me more time to drive my clothes there than it does for me to fire up the iron and press my shirts.

My thoughts exactly on cleaning the bathroom. It only takes 10 minutes, as opposed to finding a stranger willing to do it for money, making an appointment, and being home to let them in.

Not to mention the fact that I tend to put my foot in it in these situations. We had our annual fire safety inspection last month, and I wanted to get it out of the way early in time to go to work. I opened the door of my apartment and asked the guy, "Hi, can you do me first?" >.<

Chris22

• Magnum Stache

I have shirts pressed as part of being dry cleaned.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache

My thoughts exactly on cleaning the bathroom. It only takes 10 minutes, as opposed to finding a stranger willing to do it for money, making an appointment, and being home to let them in.

Not to mention the fact that I tend to put my foot in it in these situations. We had our annual fire safety inspection last month, and I wanted to get it out of the way early in time to go to work. I opened the door of my apartment and asked the guy, "Hi, can you do me first?" >.<

My cleaning lady does the whole house, not just one bath, and comes while I'm not home.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23

My cleaning lady does the whole house, not just one bath, and comes while I'm not home.

Tim Ferriss would approve.