Author Topic: $77 Movie Snacks  (Read 16395 times)

Eric

• Magnum Stache
$77 Movie Snacks
« on: February 08, 2015, 12:21:35 AM »
That's right.  I went to the movies today.  Caught Selma, and thought it was well done.  But it's not the movie that I'm thinking about tonight.  While we were getting a $6 popcorn, I happened to glance over to my right.  The lady next to us in line had a total due of $77.18.  It was her and two girls!  Hole.  Lee.  Shit.  SEVENTY SEVEN DOLLARS!!!  For popcorn and candy and soda for one adult and two children.  And she put it on her CC with a smile on her face.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: $77 Movie Snacks
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 12:25:06 AM »
Some experiences just aren't right if you don't pay a premium for them!

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 12:28:11 AM »
The few times I have gone to the movies, I sneak in my own snacks.

I''m not a popcorn fan...
Dollar store is a lot cheaper.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 01:59:59 AM »
The cinema I go to (Limelight in Tuggers) openly allows you to take in outside food as long as it is not hot ie. fast food.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 02:08:36 AM »
The cinema I go to (Limelight in Tuggers) openly allows you to take in outside food as long as it is not hot ie. fast food.

Limelight is brilliant! Ours is the same and the tickets are cheaper than any other chain as well.

orangestreet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 04:42:37 AM »

Hi Ozstache

Great to hear you live in Tuggers(?). I work in Woden and always feel like there is nobody to talk to about these issues in 'real' life.

Hope to meet you one day at a Canberra event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 06:22:22 AM »
Yeah. We went to the movie yesterday as well (I think the first time we've ever taken our kids, and they are 5 and 7), and got popcorn and a bottle of water. The water was $5. $5!!! I had planned to sneak one in, but forgot. What a ripoff.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 07:45:12 AM »
I'm perfectly capable of going 2-3 hours without food or beverage, and thus, I never feel the need to sneak in food or spend money on overpriced corn syrup and palm oil on the rare occasions that I actually watch a movie at the theater.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 11:16:08 AM »
Perhaps we need to increase the cost of movie tickets to about $25 to represent how much money a patron needs to spend to make the theater profitable and include drinks and popcorn since they are low cost high margin products.  Then the other items can be sold closer to cost and there would be less grumbling all around.

Last time I went I spent $60 for three $25 gift cards and used them all on one trip for three adults one kid.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 11:19:25 AM »
Does anyone else watch Archer?  The first thing that popped into my head when reading this was Pam's catchphrase "Holy Shitsnacks!"

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 11:50:36 AM »
I confess to watching way too many movies in theater (feel free to face punch me now), though last year I ended up net-positive on watching movies (after paying for myself and my girlfriend) because we often go with friends, I buy the tickets and get reimbursed by them, and since I have an AMC membership (only $12/year, and worth the rewards if you go often) I get $10 for every $100 spent, so I actually profited.
That being said, I alway bring water with me, and buy the largest popcorn (free refills!) and share it with multiple people, so I don't spend much (and I hate 3d, so I go to the cheaper 2d movies)

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 01:17:20 PM »

Hi Ozstache

Great to hear you live in Tuggers(?). I work in Woden and always feel like there is nobody to talk to about these issues in 'real' life.

Hope to meet you one day at a Canberra event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G'day orangestreet. Yes, it will be good to have you along at our next Canberra event. Keep an eye on the Canberra meetup thread for details of the next one, which is still TBA at this time because we only just had one.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 05:56:52 PM »
I'm perfectly capable of going 2-3 hours without food or beverage, and thus, I never feel the need to sneak in food or spend money on overpriced corn syrup and palm oil on the rare occasions that I actually watch a movie at the theater.

This is always my thought.  You could go out to dinner afterwards for the same price as the popcorn and soda if you can just survive those grueling two hours without sustenance.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 07:41:28 PM »

This is always my thought.  You could go out to dinner afterwards for the same price as the popcorn and soda if you can just survive those grueling two hours without sustenance.

I think for some people it's the *** special movie popcorn *** experience.

My husband is like a small child and gets super excited about being able to put excessive amounts of butter on his popcorn -- so much that I can't even stomach sharing some until he's practically at the bottom of the bag...

Course, we go to the movies once every 6 months or even once a year so I let him have his fun xD

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 03:51:48 AM »

+1
the sole idea that one MUST consume calories while sitting and watching tv/movies is pretty weird. Not very good for your waistline either.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »

I think for some people it's the *** special movie popcorn *** experience.

My husband is like a small child and gets super excited about being able to put excessive amounts of butter on his popcorn -- so much that I can't even stomach sharing some until he's practically at the bottom of the bag...

Course, we go to the movies once every 6 months or even once a year so I let him have his fun xD

I LOVE movie theater popcorn.  There's one specific theater near us that is just great.  We go about 4x/year, possibly 5-6 times if our parents want to take everyone to a movie during visits.  We ask for gift cards to the movies at Christmas, which usually covers tickets for the whole year, and we buy popcorn.  I sneak in drinks, so our entire cost is the popcorn.  But for me, the whole reason to go to the movies is to eat the delicious popcorn.   Though I put on just a bit of butter, unlike your husband!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 01:00:19 PM »
There's an older independent theater near my office that shows older movies (between initial run and DVD release) for $3. It is supposed to be an awesome theater with an absolutely HUGE screen and they put real butter on popcorn. Few of the showings work for me as I don't want to head back in this direction for the late evening showing, but there often is showing right after work. I hope to go once they have a movie I want to see.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 01:11:38 PM »
I LOVE movie theater popcorn.  There's one specific theater near us that is just great.  We go about 4x/year, possibly 5-6 times if our parents want to take everyone to a movie during visits.  We ask for gift cards to the movies at Christmas, which usually covers tickets for the whole year, and we buy popcorn.  I sneak in drinks, so our entire cost is the popcorn.  But for me, the whole reason to go to the movies is to eat the delicious popcorn.   Though I put on just a bit of butter, unlike your husband!

Yeah, that's all we bought as well, simply because my wife also loves movie theater popcorn.  I don't eat it, personally.  (And that's really all we bought as she won the tickets at work)

I'm surprised so many of you have to sneak water in.  I just walked in carrying my Nalgene bottle in my hand and no one said anything.  I mean, it's water!  They even had the nice filling station so I filled it with cold tasty water without having to mess with the fountain.  Fancy!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 01:27:41 PM »
The last few times I went to see a movie (which isn't often at all -- maybe once or twice a year) I went to the only remaining drive-in theater in Atlanta. Although they have a snack bar / restaurant, bringing in your own food is explicitly allowed. Obviously, there's no way they could search everybody's car to stop them from bringing in food, so they don't even try. They do have a rule about not barbequing(!), but that's about it.

Not only that, but just about every screen is a double-feature (two movies for $9 per person)!

Eggman111

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 02:02:04 PM »
The last few times I went to see a movie (which isn't often at all -- maybe once or twice a year) I went to the only remaining drive-in theater in Atlanta. Although they have a snack bar / restaurant, bringing in your own food is explicitly allowed. Obviously, there's no way they could search everybody's car to stop them from bringing in food, so they don't even try. They do have a rule about not barbequing(!), but that's about it.

Not only that, but just about every screen is a double-feature (two movies for $9 per person)!

I do enjoy going to the drive-in theatre near where I live, but they actually don't allow outside food. They threaten to check your trunk and will confiscate any food they find. They have the same philosophy of other theatres where the tickets are subsidized by expensive concession food.

ChicagoGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 03:34:39 PM »
My movie theater has a sign posted when you walk in "We reserve the right to inspect all bags and purses for outside food/drinks being brought into the theater."  I have never seen them actually do it, I think they are hoping the sign will just deter me from bringing in my bottled water.

I rarely go to the movies, but when I was there a few weeks ago, the lights went down for the movie to start and I must have heard 10 contraband soda cans being opened...I laughed and thought "the song of my people!"  :)

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 06:22:01 PM »
I will happily take snacks into the theater because I find their pricing extremely unethical. We all know the markup on those stale candy boxes is insane. And popcorn costs almost nothing to make. I do occasionally indulge in movie theater popcorn but I will not buy their pricey sodas and candy.

Alabaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 08:00:32 PM »
Every couple of months I bike out to a theater and catch a matinee. I don't buy any concession. My parents came to visit me and took me to the movies once. We bought soda and popcorn. I was doubfounded -  what we paid for each soda would have bought a whole 12 pack (not that I buy those either) :v

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 06:25:41 AM »
I am a snack smuggler. I am generally willing to purchase one large soda to share w/ my two kids during the movie. This seems particularly important to them and I don't really want to smuggle liquids in my purse. The cost of the tickets makes me increasingly reluctant to ever take my kids to the movies - because it is amost $40 for 3 tickets in our area. I do use my "membership" points card and get an occasional free popcorn, soda, or ticket (maybe once per year for each of those things).

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 06:45:44 AM »
We smuggle snacks in to the theatre.  About once a year, I splurge and buy a bag of movie theatre popcorn.  We also only go to the movies about 2-3 times per year for a film that really benefits from the big screen experience.   It just costs too much for a family of 4 to go on a more regular basis.  The last time we went it was $40, plus another $7 of snacks bought at the drug store. 

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 09:15:41 AM »

I do enjoy going to the drive-in theatre near where I live, but they actually don't allow outside food. They threaten to check your trunk and will confiscate any food they find. They have the same philosophy of other theatres where the tickets are subsidized by expensive concession food.

Wow, that's stupid. There's no way they'd be able to get all the attendees in quick enough to actually see the start of the movie if that were anything more than an empty threat.

Admittedly, the drive-in near me probably wouldn't survive if they only sold movie tickets and concessions. They apparently subsidize their theater operations by running a swap meet/flea market during the day on the weekends.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 09:55:48 AM »
Funny, I have an enormous popcorn maker.    Tastes just like the movies and it only costs about a quarter for a batch of popcorn topped with clarified butter.   I take that back, it tastes much better than theater popcorn when you buy heritage small seed popcorn and make your own clarified butter with pastured butter.     You could buy this machine for less than two trips to the theater.

I have to confess, my basement theater is perhaps my least mustachian purchase but we really enjoy it and it will eventually save us money.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2015, 10:03:21 AM »
One of the reasons I don't go to the theatre anymore is because everyone's eating, crunching, and slurping through the whole film.  I find it incredibly distracting that some guy sitting beside me bought a large pop, two slices of pizza, a tray of nachos, and a frozen yogurt.  Gross.  Just buy yourself a goddamn feedbag ad strap it on before you come in, will ya?

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2015, 10:09:39 AM »
Ha, in my late teens I'll confess that my guilty pleasure was to buy a huge bag of taco bell, smoke a joint in the parking lot, and go into the movies and just eat and be entertained by the pretty lights.

It's been nearly 20 years since I did that, but I think that may be as close as I'll ever be to nirvana.     

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2015, 11:04:39 AM »
You could buy this machine for less than two trips to the theater.

Are we talking two $77 trips to the theatre, or the two $5.50 trips I take (over the course of two years...)?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2015, 11:35:14 AM »
One of the reasons I don't go to the theatre anymore is because everyone's eating, crunching, and slurping through the whole film.  I find it incredibly distracting that some guy sitting beside me bought a large pop, two slices of pizza, a tray of nachos, and a frozen yogurt.  Gross.  Just buy yourself a goddamn feedbag ad strap it on before you come in, will ya?

Hahaha!  Sweet rant!  That sounds like a $77 bill right there.  As long as you add in a big box of candy for desert.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2015, 11:37:21 AM »
My main problem with the movie theater in general is being stuck in the same seat and seating position for ~3 hours.  If I could pause it at the 1.5 hour mark and use the restroom, I'd be more inclined to go.  Yes, I know that means I'm getting old.  And you kids stay off my lawn!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2015, 11:40:43 AM »
Ha, in my late teens I'll confess that my guilty pleasure was to buy a huge bag of taco bell, smoke a joint in the parking lot, and go into the movies and just eat and be entertained by the pretty lights.

It's been nearly 20 years since I did that, but I think that may be as close as I'll ever be to nirvana.   

haha I like the cut of your jib.  That sounds like a splendid time. 

My wife signed up at gofobo.com.  They send us free screening passes like 2-3 times a year to see movies before they are released.  Last month we went to see "Kingsmen: The Secret Service" for free.  We had to arrive like an hour before show time to ensure we got a seat, but it was free.  Not only were people loudly eating and slurping food, but when the theater is literally full to capacity (they usually end up turning away tons of people once they hit capacity...sometimes they open a second theater if enough people show up) you get tons of idiots laughing and talking constantly, which is very annoying.  But hey, free movie!

And no we didn't spend any money on concessions.  We just went like 3 hours without food or drink and ate/drank before and after.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2015, 11:43:46 AM »
My main problem with the movie theater in general is being stuck in the same seat and seating position for ~3 hours.  If I could pause it at the 1.5 hour mark and use the restroom, I'd be more inclined to go.  Yes, I know that means I'm getting old.  And you kids stay off my lawn!

Yes pausing would be great.  I have considered sneaking in an empty gatorade bottle, but that won't work when the theater is totally full.  Might land me on some kind of registry also.  Maybe I need to invent some kind of device that is concealed within your pants and lets you relieve yourself in public for just such an occasion.  patent pending patent pending patent pending

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2015, 03:36:17 PM »
Funny, I have an enormous popcorn maker.    Tastes just like the movies and it only costs about a quarter for a batch of popcorn topped with clarified butter.   I take that back, it tastes much better than theater popcorn when you buy heritage small seed popcorn and make your own clarified butter with pastured butter.     You could buy this machine for less than two trips to the theater.

I have to confess, my basement theater is perhaps my least mustachian purchase but we really enjoy it and it will eventually save us money.
I have a similar popcorn maker (though not enormous so I need to make several batches - after college I intend to get a bigger one) and it's awesome.
Popcorn tastes better than movie/microwave popcorn and is so cheap and easy to make.
I do still enjoy watching movies in theater because of the big screen and the sound, as well as hating to wait until movies are available on dvd/streaming.
Post college hopefully I'll have more space and a nice home theater system (on the cheap, as much as possible), and that'll reduce my movies in theater frequency.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2015, 03:53:38 PM »
How does a popcorn maker differ from a simple pot with some oil or butter and corn that is put onto the stove for a few minutes?

To contribute something on topic... In Germany there are ads and previews before the actual film in theaters. Virtually everyone finishes their snacks before the film starts.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2015, 04:08:09 PM »
How does a popcorn maker differ from a simple pot with some oil or butter and corn that is put onto the stove for a few minutes?

To contribute something on topic... In Germany there are ads and previews before the actual film in theaters. Virtually everyone finishes their snacks before the film starts.

I don't make popcorn much, but my friends that have makers say that they are easier to use, like the one that the movie theaters uses, the popcorn falls down when it's ready. An ex of mine makes popcorn daily, so she has a popcorn maker and refers to it as her favorite appliance.

The same happens here in the US, and yeah that's why I won't ever get popcorn cause I know I'll be eating it the moment I sit down. A friend of mine's solution for this is to run out and get popcorn after a few previews. I don't like mindless eating so will generally either eat before going to the theater or after, if I am running late then maybe just eat it before the movie.

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2015, 04:37:49 PM »
As the person before me said, it's less work and easier to make. I used to make it in a pot on the stove, but it does require more work (and cleaning afterwards).

The same happens here in the US, and yeah that's why I won't ever get popcorn cause I know I'll be eating it the moment I sit down. A friend of mine's solution for this is to run out and get popcorn after a few previews. I don't like mindless eating so will generally either eat before going to the theater or after, if I am running late then maybe just eat it before the movie.
I have a tendency of getting to the theater very early (I hate it that almost all theaters don't allow you to reserve seats), so I finish my popcorn before the movie starts, and then I refill it for free (the one I get has free refills) at least once, on rare occasions twice, before the movie actually starts

JustPlainBill

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2015, 04:46:11 PM »
I always pack snacks from home in my jacket pockets when I go to the flicks.  I always feel like a terrorist trying to get onto an airplane, and that the ticket lady is going to give me the TSA cavity-search treatment.  But, so far, so good.

Although, I do admit, that real imitation faux genuine yellow butter substitute crap that they douse on your popcorn, gently seasoned with a 1/2 lb of salt, tastes damn good.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2015, 06:13:33 PM »

Man, I'm dying of laughter over here!  I almost spilled my slurpee, nacho cheese , and soda all over all three of my chins! 

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »

This sounds like something I would have really enjoyed back in high school.  Still love taco bell but gave up the drug and expensive movie habit. 

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2015, 06:32:43 PM »

Yes pausing would be great.  I have considered sneaking in an empty gatorade bottle, but that won't work when the theater is totally full.  Might land me on some kind of registry also.  Maybe I need to invent some kind of device that is concealed within your pants and lets you relieve yourself in public for just such an occasion.  patent pending patent pending patent pending

Until then...adult diapers?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2015, 08:15:35 PM »

Looking for something a bit more sophisticated and a lot less gross.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2015, 06:33:54 AM »

Agreed - I don't understand the point of an appliance just to make popcorn when a pot with oil works splendidly.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2015, 07:29:00 AM »

Agreed - I don't understand the point of an appliance just to make popcorn when a pot with oil works splendidly.

I eat a bag of popcorn at work every day. I just dump 1/4 cup of popcorn into a brown paper bag and pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes. Then I pour it into a tin, drizzle it with olive oil, salt, and pepper (yes, pepper on popcorn is da bomb) and shake it up. It took 5 minutes to explain the process to one of my co-workers because she couldn't comprehend that you didn't have to cook the popcorn in oil.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2015, 07:52:54 AM »

The day is coming, my friend--trust me,  And all too soon, I'm afraid.  Bloody slovenly, unclassed society.  (And this coming from an old punk rocker.)  Going to the opera?  Tray of lasagna for your lap and a catheter.  Art gallery?  Why wouldn't you want to walk around with a bib on eating buffalo chicken wings?  Waiting in line at the DMV?  Yes, I'll have the foot-long hotdog with extra sauerkraut, please.   Public transportation?   Cheesy gordita crunch while wearing Depends.  Gross...  Just fuckin' gross people.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:54:59 AM by Kaspian »

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2015, 08:13:18 AM »

+1. I'm shocked that there's basically a food court in the theater lobby now.

The theater that I go to has a BAR.  And don't forget places like Cinebistro and Alamo Drafthouse, which are movie theaters serving full meals at seats.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2015, 08:19:38 AM »
I eat a bag of popcorn at work every day. I just dump 1/4 cup of popcorn into a brown paper bag and pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes. Then I pour it into a tin, drizzle it with olive oil, salt, and pepper (yes, pepper on popcorn is da bomb) and shake it up. It took 5 minutes to explain the process to one of my co-workers because she couldn't comprehend that you didn't have to cook the popcorn in oil.

I'll try that today!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2015, 08:20:17 AM »

The day is coming, my friend--trust me,  And all too soon, I'm afraid.  Bloody slovenly, unclassed society.  (And this coming from an old punk rocker.)  Going to the opera?  Tray of lasagna for your lap and a catheter.  Art gallery?  Why wouldn't you want to walk around with a bib on eating buffalo chicken wings?  Waiting in line at the DMV?  Yes, I'll have the foot-long hotdog with extra sauerkraut, please.   Public transportation?   Cheesy gordita crunch while wearing Depends.  Gross...  Just fuckin' gross people.

I'm personally not bothered by the eating sounds during movies, but I guess I've accepted that it's a social event plus the movie volume is really loud. And I confess to having a small bladder, but the concentration the theater forces on you is something I value. It's a different experience than watching at home where you can also be checking your email or getting up for snacks or can rewind if you miss a line, etc.

But live events. Oh god. Sometimes part of my job is enforcing this. I don't understand how people can whip out their chinese take out when there are live actors on stage who can hear (and smell) this.

I've started telling people in a very serious voice that I checked with a doctor and learned that it's perfectly safe to go 2 hours without putting sugar into your body. I say it so politely that so far I have not been fired.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2015, 08:58:50 AM »
What if they are reverse diabetic and need a constant supply of sugar?