Author Topic: $70 lunch box  (Read 12289 times)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
$70 lunch box
« on: August 08, 2016, 03:03:02 AM »
I saw this advertised on facebook
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/prepd-pack-the-lunchbox-reimagined-app-food#/

Which was marketed as a way to save money... since you wouldn't be buying lunch every day. But I am sure a normal lunch box and some containers would do the same thing for a lot cheaper

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
Re: $70 lunch box
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 03:29:03 AM »
Yeah, and its estimate of how much you would spend prepping your lunch ($6.30 per day) suggests that the accompanying recipes might not be so frugal either. If I spent $6.30 per day, I could buy a hot panini with small side salad, a coffee, and a cookie at work. When I (too often) buy lunch at work, I usually just get a cold sandwich for under $3.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 08:14:23 AM »
We were in GNC a few weeks ago and saw a 6 pack lunch pack.  It was in the shape of 6 pack abs and was about 60 bucks.  RIDICULOUS!  They wouldn't make them if idiots didn't buy them, I suppose.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 09:55:39 AM »
I have 6 of these and use them every single week.  I usually about half full with rice or quinoa, then some protein, then jam some broccoli or frozen peas on top.  Microwave works great because food doesn't splatter and the handle lets you carry without burning your hand.  These things are the best for office setups!  Soup doesn't spill.   I might get more of them to start freezing some meals, but I would need a way to identify what's in there.  They stack great in the fridge too. 

http://www.target.com/p/corningware-22-ounce-soup-mug-pop-ins/-/A-13423082?sid=1004S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Kitchen+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Kitchen&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9007544&lsft=gclid:CjwKEAjw26C9BRCOrKeYgJH17kcSJACb-HNAdFmzZa_SkLqhUacxSohZHrJZ9JUWa-MF4K8ycYCWEBoCJqHw_wcB,gclsrc:aw.ds&gclid=CjwKEAjw26C9BRCOrKeYgJH17kcSJACb-HNAdFmzZa_SkLqhUacxSohZHrJZ9JUWa-MF4K8ycYCWEBoCJqHw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 12:31:24 PM »
Interesting that the basic mug is $10 until you choose the designer colors and the price each doubles to $20. Then if you look closer there is another page there where you can get four of them - also in designer colors for $30. I have one of the mugs (gift) but no lid. The lid makes it way more useful. Thanks for the tip.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 12:44:09 PM »
$17.6 is the average eating out cost for lunch? That can't be right. Do most people get their lunch from fancy pants sit-down restaurants?

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »
$17.6 is the average eating out cost for lunch? That can't be right. Do most people get their lunch from fancy pants sit-down restaurants?

I think this is super dependent on the office/office culture. But yes. I budget for going to lunch with my coworkers once a month, and if it's the nice Italian place, It is almost exactly $17.60 for a sit-down lunch. That's why I only go once a month. That's my balance between 'participating in office culture' and 'not blowing all my money holy shit how often are you people going there'. At one point earlier this summer, people were going there once a week.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 01:04:42 PM »

Yeah that's pretty insane for me, but I run a small business. Every month or so I'll order in a pizza lunch for the 8 of us, and it's from a really good pizzeria (not a cheap chain) and it's like $50 for all of us to be fully fed. Christmas dinner we'll go to a local bar and spend maybe $120 or $15 each.

EDIT: I understand that in a corporate environment costs are going to be much higher. A friend of mine had a "training" the other day and for the 500 employees that they brought in, they had a catered lunch that likely ran to $20 per person for what was essentially sandwiches, cookies, and soft drinks. Man it would be nice to be a catering vendor for a corporation.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:15:08 PM by MgoSam »

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 01:09:42 PM »
To be fair, that is a VERY pretty box. But wtf, 70$ for a lunchbox. Pfft.

I adore having 20ish glass pots of the same size for leftovers, soups, etc -means that at any given time, we've got several in the freezer with back-up lunches, 2 days worth of lunches in the fridge, and extras to store leftovers. And if they're all the same size, they stack in the cupboard and there's no searching for lids.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »
I saw this advertised on facebook
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/prepd-pack-the-lunchbox-reimagined-app-food#/

Which was marketed as a way to save money... since you wouldn't be buying lunch every day. But I am sure a normal lunch box and some containers would do the same thing for a lot cheaper
But it comes with free chopsticks!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 03:47:29 AM »
I have 6 of these and use them every single week.  I usually about half full with rice or quinoa, then some protein, then jam some broccoli or frozen peas on top.  Microwave works great because food doesn't splatter and the handle lets you carry without burning your hand.  These things are the best for office setups!  Soup doesn't spill.   I might get more of them to start freezing some meals, but I would need a way to identify what's in there.  They stack great in the fridge too. 

http://www.target.com/p/corningware-22-ounce-soup-mug-pop-ins/-/A-13423082?sid=1004S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Kitchen+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Kitchen&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9007544&lsft=gclid:CjwKEAjw26C9BRCOrKeYgJH17kcSJACb-HNAdFmzZa_SkLqhUacxSohZHrJZ9JUWa-MF4K8ycYCWEBoCJqHw_wcB,gclsrc:aw.ds&gclid=CjwKEAjw26C9BRCOrKeYgJH17kcSJACb-HNAdFmzZa_SkLqhUacxSohZHrJZ9JUWa-MF4K8ycYCWEBoCJqHw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Masking/painters tape and a sharpie.  That's how I label things I don't want to write on.  I haven't had an issue with them falling off.

BananaPants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 06:44:43 AM »
It is a very pretty lunchbox, but the same outcome can be easily achieved at maybe half the price with a $15 insulated lunch bag from LL Bean, some Snapware or Rubbermaid containers, and a $2 fork/knife/spoon set from a big box store. 

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 06:56:36 AM »
It doesn't even look very good for temperature control. Neoprene doesn't actually insulate, and the sleeve is extra. The weirdly-shaped ice packs are extra too ... the whole thing is just insane.

I have a small igloo cooler that I either stole or somehow inherited from my mother. We use the ice packs from the breast pump insurance paid for when our kid was born, and I just take regular silverware from the drawer. I think the only part I paid for specifically was the four pyrex containers in rotation, bought on sale at the Pyrex outlet (today is Taco Tuesday, if you were curious).

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 07:50:28 AM »
I'll bet the neoprene functions as a scratch guard more than insulation. As clever as this thing is, I'll bet it'll be a shiny dangly thing for some people to show off at the office like jewelry.

The frugal folks will love it for it's clever utility/design if not the price.

I'm still rocking a combination of a $10 insulated lunchbox about 15 years old and a set of pyrex containers.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 08:00:41 AM »
It's a Bento box lunchbox with a fancy exterior. 

While this example is grossly overpriced, Bento boxes are great for carrying lunch items -- my kids had Bento lunchboxes when they were still young enough that opening Tupperware-type containers was a challenge for their little fingers, and they were great.  Too bad they eventually did warp and wear out.

These days my personal favorite is a Mason jar -- and my kids love to open the refrigerator and find half-pint Mason jars full of fresh fruit -- they ignore junk food and go straight for the ready-to-eat fruit.  You can find loads of websites with ideas about Mason jar meals. 

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 08:02:52 AM »

Masking/painters tape and a sharpie.  That's how I label things I don't want to write on.  I haven't had an issue with them falling off.

When I first started freezing food, I was scratching my head how to label them. Then someone mentioned masking tape/sharpie and I kicked myself for not having the imagination. It works perfectly. my kids are not quite as crazy about the sea of labeled yogurt containers in the fridge/freezer though!

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 09:05:18 AM »

When I first started freezing food, I was scratching my head how to label them. Then someone mentioned masking tape/sharpie and I kicked myself for not having the imagination. It works perfectly. my kids are not quite as crazy about the sea of labeled yogurt containers in the fridge/freezer though!

As much as disposability is anti-mustachian, freezer paper is amazing. We started using it instead of zipper bags, and the results are so drastically different it's not even funny. And you just write on it with a pencil. Using hard-sided containers in a regular fridge/freezer combo takes up a lot of space, so this is a great alternative.

Burghardt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 03:59:09 PM »
Its a fancy box and it comes with a lot of services.
The most amazing part about the site is that the average spending for prepared lunches is apparently over 6$.
How's that even possible. Do they count prepackaged/processed food as prepared lunch?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 06:23:36 PM »
Well, my lunch today came in at 4,50CAD (about 3,50 for Americans) - an amazing strawberry yogurt smoothie, a few fresh plums, a huge Greek salad with the expensive but mind-blowing feta cheese (omg, so good), and a quarter baguette.

Let's just say that that's also not standard lunch or standard cost. Like, this is my favorite pricy-but-I-love-it lunch, with seasonal fruit for dessert.

Not would the baguette have fit in a lunch box. I'll stick with my fabric bag full of oddly-shaped amazing food, thanks. ;)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 09:04:33 PM »

I have started using our Brother labelmaker (Moleshine replacement tape from Amazon. Cheap, excellent quality) to label a lot of stuff - easy to read, sticks great, peels off when I need it to.

Haven't used it on frozen tupperware type stuff yet, but lots of glass jars in the pantry.

garion

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 08:12:21 AM »

I think this is super dependent on the office/office culture. But yes. I budget for going to lunch with my coworkers once a month, and if it's the nice Italian place, It is almost exactly $17.60 for a sit-down lunch. That's why I only go once a month. That's my balance between 'participating in office culture' and 'not blowing all my money holy shit how often are you people going there'. At one point earlier this summer, people were going there once a week.

It also depends on where your office is. My husband used to spend $5 for a nice big lunch from the office cafeteria, now he works in a trendy area of town where he can't get a quick takeout lunch for less than $15. So now he packs lunch every day.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2016, 06:22:26 AM »
Never heard of sandwiches for under $3. This fancy pants lunch box doesn't look to have enough food. It would fit nicely on one of those man purses though

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2016, 06:58:22 AM »
Never heard of sandwiches for under $3. This fancy pants lunch box doesn't look to have enough food. It would fit nicely on one of those man purses though

Basically my objection (well, that an the price). Like, it is SUPER pretty, but how am i supposed to fit a baguette sandwich in it? Or a salad? A grain salad, sure, but a salad with a lot of lettuce needs more space, unless you're feeding a rabbit.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2016, 02:44:17 PM »

On the days I forget to bring lunch to work I go to subway and get their special 6in for 3.50 after tax. Quite expensive compared to bring my own lunch. I work in CBD so I presume prices would be lower in LCOL areas

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2016, 08:32:20 PM »
I spent $5 for a reuseable canvas lunch bag at Target seven years ago and it still works perfectly fine. Are you supposed to pair this $70 lunch box with one of those fancy Yeti tumblers that cost $40 yet work exactly the same as a Walmart tumbler that costs $9?

katstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2016, 09:41:08 AM »
It comes with free chopsticks- what a deal! /s

Those interior containers don't look built to last.  I'd be concerned about food leaking all over the interior of the fancy pants box within a use or two.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 01:58:21 PM by katstache »

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 06:55:06 AM »
Yeah, a sit down lunch in the Boston area is about $18 minimum.  My coworkers usually have a beer, and that runs another $6-8.  Like others, I usually go around once a month.  Take out lunches are anywhere from $4 for two slices of Pizza, to $10 for a nice soup and salad or sandwich.  The lunches I bring are either left overs, or $3 salads. 

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 07:26:49 PM »
If you're going to do a $70 lunch box, this is the lunchbox to do:

http://www.lunchbox.ca/products/red-anodized?variant=8386436483

I actually have that one...  I used it daily (even though it's a little on the small side), until a friend made a diamond plate lunchbox for me instead-- he knew I wanted something bigger. 

I'm hard on lunchboxes, used to go through a couple a year.  These two are surviving me quite well, and will probably last long enough I could give it to a grandchild when I retire in 20 years, so a case where good quality is paying off.

I'd probably break the fancy one in the OP in no time.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 08:10:31 PM »
I bring my lunch every day.  I could see spending $70 on a highly functional, super insulated and durable cooler.  This ain't it.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 08:25:18 PM »
Yeah, a sit down lunch in the Boston area is about $18 minimum.  My coworkers usually have a beer, and that runs another $6-8.  Like others, I usually go around once a month.  Take out lunches are anywhere from $4 for two slices of Pizza, to $10 for a nice soup and salad or sandwich.  The lunches I bring are either left overs, or $3 salads.

I do see one possible downside to bringing my own lunch, now that I read your post. Bringing alcohol into my workplace and having it at my desk is frowned upon, whereas if one leaves the office there's more in the way of libation.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 08:53:09 AM »
I'm hard on lunchboxes, used to go through a couple a year.  These two are surviving me quite well, and will probably last long enough I could give it to a grandchild when I retire in 20 years, so a case where good quality is paying off.

But, but, but --- mine has to be stainless and say "Snap-On"!!!! Oh, and it needs drawers. Lots of drawers. For the utensils.

(seriously, cool lunch box).

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2016, 09:06:11 AM »
I really like the design, but an expensive lunchbox isn't worth it to me!

Has my food leaked? yes, I survived.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »
That would look really awesome if you had a $50 Yeti cup beside it to drink out of.
Seems more of a "show off, jewelry, bling" type thing rather than functional.   

Many of my coworkers pack lunch every day and most use a simple hard side six pack cooler of some type, with a couple tupperware dishes.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 09:22:27 AM »
I really like the design, but an expensive lunchbox isn't worth it to me!

Has my food leaked? yes, I survived.

Yeah, it matters to me because I put my food in my purse for transport, and leaky food = wet cell phone and books.

So I carry my soup in a mason jar, and keep a bowl in my desk. Never leaks. Problem solved.

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 09:26:08 AM »
^ oh ok, I use a lunchbox and that's where it has leaked, of course I get you cause I wouldn't want to get books or anything valuable wet.

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 11:02:24 AM »
I must admit that I've spent a bit of money over the years searching for a functional-for-me lunch box. I've various Bento boxes, tupperware,  mason jars etc. I've yet to find one that really works for me. The biggest problem is carrying it in a backpack or purse. Either it has to be on its side (which always winds up leaking on me) or is just too wide. Drives me nuts.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2016, 11:50:03 AM »
The ad copy for that thing makes it sound like a joke. Some sort of hipster parody! Of course it supports uploading pictures of your food.. What self-respecting app wouldn't?!

Don't understand why lunch is so hard though. I no long have time to make lunch in the morning. Thankfully my office has a fridge in the kitchen. Buy couple of breads when on sale. Bring a grocery bag with PB, jam, ham and cheese in large quantities on monday and make two sandwiches every day. Done! Simple, fast and cheap. Bit lacking in greenery but I think I'll be fine.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2016, 12:51:35 PM »

Don't understand why lunch is so hard though. I no long have time to make lunch in the morning. Thankfully my office has a fridge in the kitchen. Buy couple of breads when on sale. Bring a grocery bag with PB, jam, ham and cheese in large quantities on Monday and make two sandwiches every day. Done! Simple, fast and cheap. Bit lacking in greenery but I think I'll be fine.

I absolutely agree. We used to have a receptionist that would eat out every day for lunch except when someone else brought in extras. Her reason/excuse was that "she never learned how to cook." I absolutely hate that mentality, but oh well. At least she could have brought in bread and meats (there is a fridge for all to use).

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2016, 06:16:05 PM »

But, but, but --- mine has to be stainless and say "Snap-On"!!!! Oh, and it needs drawers. Lots of drawers. For the utensils.

(seriously, cool lunch box).

Crap... it's missing the drawers and "Snap-on" label!  This is the one my friend made for me:

(It's super heavy.  Welders make great gifts :) )
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:17:47 PM by sparkytheop »

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2016, 10:13:43 AM »
I really like that! My lunchbox (liek today) is a Pyrex glass container filled with leftover dinner from last night with a plastic lid strategically nestled in the bottom of my bag. So far so good.

alme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2016, 10:51:14 AM »
I usually just use plastic containers from takeout and put them in a plastic grocery bag. I commute to work by car, though, and the short treks from house to car and from car to office mean I don't have to worry much about leaking. I don't really know how much my average lunch costs--I usually pack leftovers or make a salad or sandwich using up stuff we have on hand, either from impulse buys or bits and pieces that we didn't use in some previous recipe.

reial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2016, 06:16:43 PM »
I must admit that I've spent a bit of money over the years searching for a functional-for-me lunch box. I've various Bento boxes, tupperware,  mason jars etc. I've yet to find one that really works for me. The biggest problem is carrying it in a backpack or purse. Either it has to be on its side (which always winds up leaking on me) or is just too wide. Drives me nuts.
Have you tried a two tiered bento box like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OC78JY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1YUSGRBGRPMVK&coliid=I157YZ3WWCRZPA
There's no need for you to lay it on it's side, but it's not wide :-)

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2016, 07:03:49 AM »
Have you tried a two tiered bento box like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OC78JY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1YUSGRBGRPMVK&coliid=I157YZ3WWCRZPA

I've got a few like that,  including one that's three tiered and super slim to fit in a man's briefcase. I like it but it tends to leak and I can't microwave it. I know I shouldn't microwave in plastic anyway. ... ok I'll give it another shot and start using plates for reheating ;)

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2016, 08:22:34 AM »
Just bought this Stanley hot food jar for my daughter, who refuses to eat cafeteria food and is willing to make (or heat up) her lunch before she leaves for school.  She has no access to a microwave at high school.  Apparently the Stanley brand is sturdier than Thermos brand according to reviews.  We had two $20 Thermos food jars and they both leaked after awhile.

http://www.target.com/p/stanley-adv.-24oz-food-jar/-/A-14825825

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2016, 05:32:58 PM »
3 working adults currently in our household. We have 10 of these we alternate:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MWBJRUO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're not exactly what I want, but they do a good job for a reasonable price.

Ayanka

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2016, 04:33:38 AM »

I use the grand chef boxes from curver for not being leaky. I have a backpack I am devoted to, so I know the problem, so far I haven't had any leakage problems with that kind of seals in this and other brands.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2016, 08:30:59 AM »

I adore having 20ish glass pots of the same size for leftovers, soups, etc -means that at any given time, we've got several in the freezer with back-up lunches, 2 days worth of lunches in the fridge, and extras to store leftovers. And if they're all the same size, they stack in the cupboard and there's no searching for lids.

Yes, the design is pretty great actually.

Regarding tupperware.  I did something anti mustachian - I had enough and in a fit of OCD rage, I threw out plastic tupperware that did not match my glass set.   I could not stand how the items did not match, lids not stacking and storing well. Extra lids because plastic bottoms broke etc.   
Definitely worth the $5 loss (assuming depreciation)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2016, 03:08:47 PM »

Yes, the design is pretty great actually.

Regarding tupperware.  I did something anti mustachian - I had enough and in a fit of OCD rage, I threw out plastic tupperware that did not match my glass set.   I could not stand how the items did not match, lids not stacking and storing well. Extra lids because plastic bottoms broke etc.   
Definitely worth the $5 loss (assuming depreciation)

I intentionally got matching Glasslock containers in 2 sizes (medium -soup and regular meals, and large - good for salads or flatter things like pizza), and so I have one tiny corner of a cupboard that has 2 neat stacks. Prior to that we had a full cupboard full of mismatched ones, and the wasted space and never finding the lid to go with the pot drove me bonkers.

And we have enough that we can pack breakfasts and lunches for 2 adults, and also pack leftovers away, and usually use all of them in a week, but never actually run out. It's a GREAT set-up.

... And buying all of them cost wha buying 3 lunches for each of us would have. I'm not gonna weep about it. But I would NOT spend the same amount on one singular lunch box wtf.