Author Topic: $600k in investable assets, paid off house, advisor says she can't retire yet!  (Read 5501 times)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Holy god. She saves $35 a month on $2423 of income? I want to say that's shockingly low...

...but then I realized that's 1.5%, more than the US national average.

mechanic baird

• Stubble
Holy god. She saves $35 a month on $2423 of income? I want to say that's shockingly low...

What 's the US average now? I thought it was around 4%.. maybe my information is outdated..

SoftwareGoddess

• Stubble

It's not quite that bad. TFSA = Tax Free Savings Account. She's saving CDN$417 there.

iamsoners

• Stubble
 The bigger flag here is the idiocy of mainstream financial advice that doesn't even consider expenses.  The TFSA is a savings account as well.  So she saves a total of $452.  A non-mustachian 19% but I still think she could make the leap.  Yearly spending, minus the savings, is 23,652.  Firecalc says the portfolio success rate over 50 years is 86%.  She could either cut expenses by $3075 per year or work a few more years.  I'd take the former, which is why I'm here I suppose.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian

Okay, but she only works 1 day/week.

I think many Mustachians who save 60% wouldn't mind dropping to one day/week and dropping their savings rate to 0 for an early semi-retirement.

Especially if one has significant assets which can be left to grow untapped to transition into full FIRE.

I don't have a big problem with someone who goes to semi-ER and ends up, due to that, not saving much - they're trading that savings money for time.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.