Author Topic: $45K wedding proposal  (Read 5386 times)

KS

• Stubble
$45K wedding proposal
« on: March 21, 2013, 05:42:27 PM »
I've been reading the blog and lurking in the forums without posting for a while now, but this needed to be shamed:

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/spent_on_my_proposal_mdTSKQOCAIvXvEDKaIwNVN/0

The wedding industry has been well covered already in the forum, but I had no idea this was a thing!

Donovan

• Stubble
Re: $45K wedding proposal
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 05:56:32 PM »
You know, I've never really thought about how people have been putting together those crazy proposals that pop up on Youtube.  Now that I know...I'm disappointed.  I'm fairly sure that my fiance would have shot me if she had found out that I had hired a "proposal consultant" to plan out my entire proposal.  It just seems kind of insulting.

My proposal cost me about $10 (not including the ring), along with three months of work (I hand drew and colored an enormous poster depicting the most important relationship moments we had up to that point, with a big mural of the tree I proposed under at the top).  $10 went towards a nice picnic lunch to get her out to the tree :)

I'm gonna go ahead and toot my own horn on this and say that I think a plan like mine (personal and from the heart) immediately trumps an elaborate plot come up with by a consultant (for more than my entire proposal/wedding/honeymoon budget!) any day.

Cid47

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:32:08 AM »
This is ridiculous! I can't imagine shelling out that kind of money on anything, especially a proposal. Can you imagine if she had said no? hahah!

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 10:31:32 AM »
This is ridiculous! I can't imagine shelling out that kind of money on anything, especially a proposal. Can you imagine if she had said no? hahah!

I'm sure if the diamond hadn't been the right size, she would have.

ShavenLlama

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
Holy crap I heard about this on the radio this morning. They played a clip of a guy who says, "She's going to get to make all the decisions on the wedding, the proposal is MY time to have fun!" Or something like that.

Good luck there, buddy!

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 01:31:53 PM »
Donovan I agree completely! Even if I wasn't the kind of person who would be outraged if my husband-to-be spent that much money on it, I'd still be disappointed if he outsourced his proposal and didn't actually give it any thought himself! My husband proposed in his own way in a nearby park, just us no flash mob or professional photographers and it was perfect.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 10:14:49 PM »
I don't know, that last video of the flash mob and marching band was kinda fun and sappy all at the same time.  If someone has the money, who cares?  If they don't, then that's just pathetic, frankly! 

We didn't have the money, so I would most definitely NOT have enjoyed something that cost a hundred bucks, let alone thousands. 

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 10:43:27 AM »
I proposed to my wife on top of a midwest mountain (coal tailings pile). Cost $0. Plus if she said no, I could have just pushed her off (kidding!)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 10:45:18 AM »
I proposed to my wife on top of a midwest mountain (coal tailings pile). Cost $0. Plus if she said no, I could have just pushed her off (kidding!)
Think of all that free kinetic energy up for grabs!

EngGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 12:57:02 PM »
What the hell is up with proposing in general? In our modern society, if one partner SURPRISES the other with a proposal, that to me means that they aren't really communicating.

My husband and I reached the logical decision to get married after several detailed discussions weighing the pros and cons. As a modern woman, I wouldn't have had it any other way :)

Put another way, if your love isn't special enough to convince your partner to marry you without you taking them heli-skiing while eating cavier which spells out "will you marry me" off of a silver platter placed the back of an endangered animal, then maybe you shouldn't be getting married in the first place. 

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 01:16:26 PM »
What the hell is up with proposing in general? In our modern society, if one partner SURPRISES the other with a proposal, that to me means that they aren't really communicating.

A lot of the time they do discuss it beforehand (and go ring shopping together), but they still want that "proposal moment."

Doesn't always make the most sense, but love is often illogical.

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 07:46:57 PM »

A lot of the time they do discuss it beforehand (and go ring shopping together), but they still want that "proposal moment."

Doesn't always make the most sense, but love is often illogical.

Agreed. My fiance and I went ring shopping 3 or 4 times before I proposed, although I did pick out the ring entirely on my own using the information gathered those times.  But the way that we work, just sorta saying "hey, we should get married" instead of doing my big elaborate scheme just wouldn't have been nearly as fun :)