Author Topic: $450 dinner "worth it" with someone else's money  (Read 3714 times)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
$450 dinner "worth it" with someone else's money
« on: May 04, 2017, 01:06:27 PM »
We often mock expensive restaurants, but here's a humor magazine writer with some choice words on the subject. His first two paragraphs are comedic gold and very much in line with the views generally expressed on this page. Then the column takes a screaming left turn into freakishness.

Note that the author did not spend his own money. He was being treated by someone who was repaying a major favor that she expected to result in a long-term career benefit for her.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/gene-weingarten-yes-my-450-dinner-was-worth-every-penny/2017/05/02/8e67ade2-1df5-11e7-a0a7-8b2a45e3dc84_story.html?utm_term=.dc4b10e095c9

Is it just me, or is it a lot easier to say an expensive thing was "worth it" when the resources used to pay for it come from somebody else's labor?

boyerbt

• Bristles
Re: $450 dinner "worth it" with someone else's money
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »
I have had a few similar experiences when my girlfriend has been granted some free meals in return for her assistance with a startup business from the Chef of a high-end local restaurant. It is definitely EASIER to say that it was worth it but I would have been just as satisfied with the meals had I paid for them. For the last meal, we did in fact pay for the Chef's tasting menu where the final bill was about $225 if I remember correctly and this was without a liquor license and/or other drink expenses.

The caliber of preparation, presentation, and the end result of the food is unbelievable! Just as the original author says, my girlfriend and I go the entire meal without saying much more than grunts, groans, and "oh my gosh this is so good!"

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:09:17 AM by boyerbt »

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 02:01:31 PM »
I've paid for some expensive meals, all but one were "worth it." (The Palm steakhouse in DC; pricey and bland).

Recently on a business trip, I ate a $50 chicken dinner. Was it amazing? Absolutely. It was probably the best fried chicken I've ever eaten. Would I pay $50 of my own money for this fried chicken? Heck no!

However, I would pay $50 for a good Filet at Ruth's Chris. I can make decent chicken at home...but I can't get my broiler nearly as hot as they can at Ruth's Chris.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 07:54:41 PM »
Damm. I'm so glad my palate has no idea what it is missing. I get a little cranky with my DH, when he splurges and buys me a lovely $30 bottle of wine. Secretly, I cant tell the difference between it and the $5 wine (I just know that I could've saved the difference for 5 more bottles).

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 11:40:58 PM »
Last week I was in Ohio for business and was treated out to dinner at Chez Francois. Cost was around $300 for the 3 of us after tax and tip and my friend and customer (and host for the evening) picked it up as his treat. He wanted to take me there because he had talked about it a lot and wow I was blown away. I can't ever see myself spending that much for dinner, and I wouldn't have gone to this restaurant if I was picking up the check even as a work expense. We went out for drinks afterwards and I did cover those.

That meal was divine. I had lobster bisque which came with a puff pastry baked into it. For the main course I ordered beef wellington which was made perfectly and came with foie gras. This meal was one of the top 5 meals I've had in my life.

I can definitely say the meal was worth it, but I don't know if I would pay for it on my own unless I was making considerably more money, and it would be for a fairly big celebration.

threefive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 08:29:59 PM »
At least once a year, my wife and I go out and intentionally spend around $300 for a meal for the two of us. We spend a lot of time selecting the establishment, and I've never once regretted it. It's like a little vacation.

Now, when we lived in the Czech Republic for half a year ... my God, we'd go out once a week, spend the equivalent of $30 US, and be in just as much food heaven as those $300 meals. I miss that country (and the US-based salary I was being paid to live in the land of $1 liters of delicious beer).

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 12:31:30 AM »
Is it just me, or is it a lot easier to say an expensive thing was "worth it" when the resources used to pay for it come from somebody else's labor?

"worth it" is relative to the amount in which a choice fits with your goals/beliefs, and the price tag in relation to how much money you have.

$450 is worth it, if your reason for getting out of bed in the morning, is to taste the finest food this world has to offer.

$450 is worth it, if that amount of money is so insignificant, that you don't even have to think twice about it.

$450 is not worth it, if you don't really care about fine dining, and/or you don't have much money.

So to answer your question... yes, I think it's easier to say something is "worth it" when it's total cost to you is zero.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 02:20:16 AM »
One we paid ourselves for a mail at a good restaurant in Oslo which got a Michelin star the year after. That was really worth it, an extremely exciting meal. When I wanted to eat there again, my DH said the price had gone up since last time, when it was already high. Now it's not worth it anymore. It's simply too expensive for a meal, or for an event on one day.
We have put on our list that next time we are going to eat at some really good restaurant, it should be abroad where restaurants are a bit cheaper, usually.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 10:33:36 AM »
I've eaten alot of good food over the years at home and out. Can't imagine how good a truly expensive meal would be. The risk of disappointment would be too great to spend like that though.

Took my new bride (years ago) to a nice restaurant and was very disappointed. I got the lobster which came fried (how did I miss that detail?) and it was just terrible. All I could taste was the oil. I had much better lobster on several occasions in the military in the mess decks.