Author Topic: Bottled water is so inconvenient. What to do, what to do...  (Read 3135 times)

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
Bottled water is so inconvenient. What to do, what to do...
« on: October 08, 2019, 11:04:14 AM »
If it's a hassle lugging around those big, heavy cases of bottled water made of wasteful planet-destroying plastic, have I got a solution for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTTLXs5r2SI

For a very reasonable monthly charge, you can pay someone else to carry those big, heavy cases of bottled water made of wasteful planet-destroying plastic into your house. Genius! As we all know, there's simply no other way of obtaining water that's anywhere near as cheap or convenient.

Best of all, this service comes to us courtesy of Nestle, whose corporate ethics are impeccable. It's certainly not as if they have a long history of leeching off municipal sources for virtually nothing, even in drought-stricken areas, so they can package and resell public resources for profit.

Not There Yet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Bottled water is so inconvenient. What to do, what to do...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 12:25:10 PM »
I have an even better solution!  I have these things in my kitchen and bathrooms that dispense both hot and cold water whenever I want it!  I just write a check every month to my local government water utility and they keep it flowing.  The also throw in weekly trash collection and take care of my "used" water!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 02:22:09 PM »
But, but, but I'd need to quit my job to be home when the truck comes...

yokat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 01:02:17 AM »
I live in a country where tap water is not drinkable and most bottled water brands taste bad (including the more expensive ones like Nestle). I use a water delivery service a little similar to this, I paid a deposit of about $20 for three 19L bottles and every refill costs about $2.32

Pros:
- I don't have a car so getting water delivered to my front door is great, I just have to remember to put an empty bottle and a coupon outside on delivery days.
- This water has no taste, which is exactly what I expect from water
- It's cheaper than any bottled water option I have here
- Bottles are cleaned and re-used a significant amount of times so I waste less plastic

Cons:
- It's more expensive than tap, but again it's not an option for me

I also considered buying a filtering system but from what I read the initial investment and maintenance of a good one is not really worth it. I used to drink tap water back in Europe and it saddens me to have to pay so much to get decent drinking water since moving to Asia