Author Topic: $30k LEASE.... smh  (Read 28749 times)

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
$30k LEASE.... smh
« on: April 20, 2016, 08:53:26 AM »
Saw a commercial last night for a 2017 GMC Acadia Denali - low mileage lease for ONLY $5,039 down, $699/mo for 36 months! Seriously, who looks at that and thinks, "wow, that's a great deal - I gotta get me one of them..."

so disturbing...

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
Re: $30k LEASE.... smh
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 09:05:32 AM »
For an Acadia? That's insane. It doesn't even look like a "cool/expensive" car.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 09:17:15 AM »
GM Financial probably thinks that's a good deal.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 09:30:45 AM »
The scary thing is .... people will do it.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:52:07 AM »
They wouldn't offer it if people didn't think it was a good deal. This was for the top of the line Denali, which I think runs well over $50k fully equipped.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 11:11:40 AM »
They wouldn't offer it if people didn't think it was a good deal. This was for the top of the line Denali, which I think runs well over $50k fully equipped.

Sounds like a great deal (maybe, for the person buying it off lease).

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 09:56:01 AM »
Saw a commercial last night for a 2017 GMC Acadia Denali - low mileage lease for ONLY $5,039 down, $699/mo for 36 months! Seriously, who looks at that and thinks, "wow, that's a great deal - I gotta get me one of them..."

so disturbing...

A lot of people.  Drive now, pay forever.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 03:51:45 PM »
Tell me you haven't heard someone say this:  I'm always going to have a car payment, so I might as well drive what I want. 

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 08:00:23 AM »
Tell me you haven't heard someone say this:  I'm always going to have a car payment, so I might as well drive what I want.

Far too many times.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 04:46:20 PM »
Why does a lease require a down payment?

mpg350

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 06:29:40 PM »

I have heard that one many times at my office ha. 
I just chuckle inside when I hear this stupidity.

accountingteacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 08:03:23 PM »

[/quote]
[/quote]

Or:  it's ok because I can write off the lease payments.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 02:07:15 AM »
Why does a lease require a down payment?

To prove your not completely flat broke. And to cover any front loaded fees.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 02:32:12 AM »
If you want jaw dropping, look up a new Cadillac Escalade ESV. It's pretty ridiculous. Now, for even more insanity, go look up the cost of one 3 years old and bask in that depreciation!

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 08:27:56 AM »

The Acadia Denali's are very expensive. I looked at one of the stickers and it was in the low 50ks.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 09:43:38 AM »

The Acadia Denali's are very expensive. I looked at one of the stickers and it was in the low 50ks.

Different strokes I guess. If I had a $50K car budget I sure as hell wouldn't pick an unreliable domestic brand. For $50K I'd be rolling into the Lexus dealership or something.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 09:48:11 AM »

Different strokes I guess. If I had a $50K car budget I sure as hell wouldn't pick an unreliable domestic brand. For $50K I'd be rolling into the Lexus dealership or something.

I'm really tempted to put down a deposit on a Tesla Model 3. I am resisting because my Camry is only 12 years old and has 150k miles, I want to get 300k out of it. By then, I hope that batteries are way cheaper and that Tesla will be have Model 4 in production and that all car companies have electric models out there.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 10:21:55 AM »

Plus, with all the ongoing costs to insure, operate, etc, the SUV is a six-figure commitment. You could have a Tesla for less.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 11:03:32 AM »

Plus, with all the ongoing costs to insure, operate, etc, the SUV is a six-figure commitment. You could have a Tesla for less.

Did you do any math, or just spout bullshit reflexively upon seeing the words "SUV"?

(actual costs to run my "luxury" SUV, except I downgraded the mileage to 20mpg for the Acadia):
$50/mo insurance x 120 months = $6000
12k miles/yr /20 mpg * $3/gal * 10 years = $18,000

That's HALF of your asserted amount over 10 years, plus that's a total cost, not an SUV 'premium' (IOW, the Tesla will still cost the same if not more to insure, and it isn't free to "fuel" either).  Did you plan on rebuilding the thing for $25k at some point?

Where the hell do you get your numbers?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 11:07:35 AM »

Did you do any math, or just spout bullshit reflexively upon seeing the words "SUV"?

(actual costs to run my "luxury" SUV, except I downgraded the mileage to 20mpg for the Acadia):

That's HALF of your asserted amount over 10 years, plus that's a total cost, not an SUV 'premium' (IOW, the Tesla will still cost the same if not more to insure, and it isn't free to "fuel" either).  Did you plan on rebuilding the thing for $25k at some point?

http://amzn.com/0671027034

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 11:17:25 AM »

http://amzn.com/0671027034

I'll write a follow up called "How to call bullshit on people who claim to make decisions on facts and logic but throw the same right out the window and make shit up if it is convenient to slander something like SUVs that they dislike for purely ideological reasons."

AM43

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 11:39:24 AM »
If you want jaw dropping, look up a new Cadillac Escalade ESV. It's pretty ridiculous. Now, for even more insanity, go look up the cost of one 3 years old and bask in that depreciation!

Friend of mine just got one this past winter.
He got extended one that is absolutely enormous in size.
When I questioned it, he said he needed one because he has 3 kids and there is not enough room in any other vehicle on the market to transport his wife and 3 children.
Of course he is leasing it .
Monthly payments= $1200
Mind boggling.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 01:58:36 PM »
When I questioned it, he said he needed one because he has 3 kids and there is not enough room in any other vehicle on the market to transport his wife and 3 children.
"Not enough room in any other vehicle"!?  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Short of getting a Smart car or a motorcycle, there are very few mass-produced vehicle on the market that *won't* seat 5 people.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 02:02:41 PM »

Monthly payments= $1200
Mind boggling.

Yeah I have a friend that traded in a small Chevy SUV for a Yukon XLT because he had a kid and a dog. Apparently you need 2 rows for a 1 year old and a 100 lb dog. I have 2 dogs and an 8 month old and we manage just fine in our Terrain.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »

This is actually a much more realistic expectation regarding costs, I would even argue the $3/gallon is a little high depending on where you are. We haven't had gas that was anywhere near $3/gallon in well over a year. Also, a Tesla may not work for everyone. I have 2 dogs and a baby. We take monthly trips to my home town to visit family and friends. That definitely wouldn't work putting the baby and 2 dogs in the backseat. I don't need an Acadia,  but the Terrain is perfect for us (similar to the Escape).

mpg350

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2016, 02:10:10 PM »

Monthly payments= $1200
Mind boggling.

$1,200 for a lease geez, that's a mortgage payment for many.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2016, 02:17:36 PM »
$1,200 for a lease geez, that's a mortgage payment for many.

That's nearly double my mortgage payment. You could lease 4 Civics for that much, and still have plenty of money for gas.

Fishinshawn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2016, 05:51:55 PM »

You are failing to include the cost of the vehicle either the monthly or the total cost, but that needs to be included. Also $50 a month for insuring a leased luxury SUV seems a bit low to me, as well as the 12K miles per year thats probably closer to 15k or more, as well as 20mpg is a bit high. I'd wager that beast would end up averaging about 16mpg. Then they will tag you with over mileage fees....

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2016, 06:38:53 PM »

You are failing to include the cost of the vehicle either the monthly or the total cost, but that needs to be included. Also $50 a month for insuring a leased luxury SUV seems a bit low to me, as well as the 12K miles per year thats probably closer to 15k or more, as well as 20mpg is a bit high. I'd wager that beast would end up averaging about 16mpg. Then they will tag you with over mileage fees....

I own a more expensive truck and I pay about $55/month. You can look up the MPG, it's 17-24, so 16 doesn't seem possible as an average. An Acadia is far from a beast, it's equivalent to an Explorer.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2016, 10:09:36 PM »

No, he said a $50k SUV is a six figure expense, my math suggests the expenses named are $24k over ten years, half of what extra would be needed to hit $100k ($50k + $24k not $50k + $50k).

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2016, 10:25:55 PM »

so disturbing...

Never underestimate the terrible taste and poor financial choices of Americans.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2016, 03:45:16 PM »
"Not enough room in any other vehicle"!?  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Short of getting a Smart car or a motorcycle, there are very few mass-produced vehicle on the market that *won't* seat 5 people.
There are plenty that won't fit three full sized car seats across the back, so depending on the ages of his kids, he might be right. I also wouldn't seat a kid in the middle seat with a car seat next to them, both for comfort reasons but also for the potential of head trauma in an accident with side-loading.

We have two kids, but when we cart around a third for some reason, we have to swap our normal car seats for some narrower ones to fit three across my wife's CR-V.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2016, 04:03:37 PM »

I don't get how anyone spends money an Acadias.  We've got one at work and I had to drive it the other day.  It's horrible.  I mean, SUVs in general are pretty bad, but this Acadia sets a new level of sadness to drive.  Ick.

Goose A. Doose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2016, 06:04:36 PM »
My 60k luxury 500hp 7 passenger diesel race bus only cost me 1500 bucks a year to operate/fuel/insure.

Bought new 2002 by someone else, bought by me after 8 years of depreciation for 8k.  Fixed everything on the legendary 7.3 international diesel myself, total in truck 10k.  Gets 24 mpg and 18 when im towing camper (bought salvage and fixed).  The acacia is just a jacked up car not meant to last forever.  If youre buying a suv, get a real one thats a truck underneath, buy it right, fix it yourself, and keep it forever

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 08:15:30 AM »
I'll write a follow up called "How to call bullshit on people who claim to make decisions on facts and logic but throw the same right out the window and make shit up if it is convenient to slander something like SUVs that they dislike for purely ideological reasons."
*blinks* Would you consider calming down for a minute?

It was a SWAG, and maybe it was a little high. If you think you can insure a brand-new $50K vehicle for 50 bucks a month, I wanna know where you live, and if you can maintain one for a decade for free, I'm curious how you value your time. Maybe the smart answer is only 80 or 90, but there's no need to get enraged at a casual (and for the record, non-ideological) comparison.

VaCPA

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 09:19:06 AM »

It is a pretty "cool" and definitely expensive car. The Denali term is GMC's way of basically saying the car is extremely tricked out. They have Acadia Denali, Yukon Denali, etc. Not saying I'd ever pay that much for a car but it is nice.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 09:34:23 AM »
You guys laugh, but when the zombie apocalypse occurs and the owner of that Acadia Denali needs to use their truck to climb over fallen trees and boulders to escape the hordes of the walking dead, who will be laughing then?

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 09:56:19 AM »

It is a pretty "cool" and definitely expensive car. The Denali term is GMC's way of basically saying the car is extremely tricked out. They have Acadia Denali, Yukon Denali, etc. Not saying I'd ever pay that much for a car but it is nice.

I mean...I understand the Denali badge and how it's souped up from the factory...but what doesn't add up is how someone says "oh man, that generic crossover body is worth $700 payments after this hefty down payment."

If you're going to lease something for $700 a month, get something like a BMW or Mercedes so you can at least pretend to have good taste, and people will know how expensive your car is.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2016, 10:41:49 AM »
You guys laugh, but when the zombie apocalypse occurs and the owner of that Acadia Denali needs to use their truck to climb over fallen trees and boulders to escape the hordes of the walking dead, who will be laughing then?
I certainly will be laughing, since that vehicle is incapable of handing anything larger than a curb! :D

VaCPA

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2016, 10:47:50 AM »

I mean...I understand the Denali badge and how it's souped up from the factory...but what doesn't add up is how someone says "oh man, that generic crossover body is worth $700 payments after this hefty down payment."

If you're going to lease something for $700 a month, get something like a BMW or Mercedes so you can at least pretend to have good taste, and people will know how expensive your car is.

Or just get a car you like and don't worry about outward appearances. If someone has $700/month to drop on a car, and really likes the GMC Acadia Denali, why should they opt for a BMW or Mercedes just because it may impress more total strangers? I personally think the Acadia Denali looks better than any SUV BMW or Mercedes has. Plus I'm sure a fully loaded SUV from those guys costs way more than the Acadia
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:51:18 AM by anorman79 »

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 11:08:01 AM »

Or just get a car you like and don't worry about outward appearances. If someone has $700/month to drop on a car, and really likes the GMC Acadia Denali, why should they opt for a BMW or Mercedes just because it may impress more total strangers? I personally think the Acadia Denali looks better than any SUV BMW or Mercedes has. Plus I'm sure a fully loaded SUV from those guys costs way more than the Acadia

Hey! This is the Wall of Shame and Comedy! Let me shame Acadia Denali lessees in peace!

*scampers off to wash the wife's dirty and paid off old Lexus RX.*

VaCPA

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 11:21:00 AM »
Hey! This is the Wall of Shame and Comedy! Let me shame Acadia Denali lessees in peace!

*scampers off to wash the wife's dirty and paid off old Lexus RX.*

Haha, fair enough. I forgot what section of MMM I was in

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2016, 03:00:32 PM »

Bingo, a buddy has an Acadia. It spent many days covered with a blue tarp, since the dealer couldn't stop the sunroof from draining rain water all over the interior. I have had some great GM trucks over the years, but I have seen far too many friends, and family suffer through the shit that GM calls "luxury cars", to even think of buying one.