Author Topic: $250 Million house for sale  (Read 9051 times)

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
$250 Million house for sale
« on: January 19, 2017, 09:20:15 AM »
The most expensive home in the U.S. is up for grabs. New home, 38,000SF. Movie theater, blowling alley, helicopter landing pad. Don't want to be bothered filling the garage? No problem! The house comes with a collection of antique and collectible cars. Not sure if the helicopter is included.

http://www.mansionglobal.com/articles/51554-u-s-s-most-expensive-home-hits-market-at-250m?link=TDheadline_1

LalsConstant

• Bristles
Re: $250 Million house for sale
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »
What a bargain!  My entire cult can move in there and that's way nicer than our current compound in the wilderness!

Fortunately all of my members have turned over their life savings to me so I can summon the mothership.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 09:53:33 AM »
LalsConstant, do you have 250 mustachian members who each gave you a million, or a million regular suckas who each gave you $250?

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 02:19:11 PM »
"There are hundreds of new billionaires created each year and they are increasingly setting their sights on this coveted enclave of California for everything the state has to offer,”

So lets say a billionaire puts a quarter of his net worth in this house. Any idea what the maintenance and property taxes would be like?  Would you need to be a multi billionaire to keep up with it?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »
Out of all the things, it would be pretty awesome to have your own bowling alley.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 02:48:21 PM »
Out of all the things, it would be pretty awesome to have your own bowling alley.

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to go buy a bowling alley? You could then have 30 lanes.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 02:56:59 PM »
I don't get it, for $225M+ less you can get a condo/apartment/house anywhere you could possibly want with enough left over to have it professionally furnished.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 03:09:07 PM »

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to go buy a bowling alley? You could then have 30 lanes.

Well in the context of buying this house yes that would be the sane option.  Go buy an alley and go crazy.

I was more speaking in general terms that it would be cool to have a few lanes in your basement.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »

And it could be run as an actual business that makes you money, and just shut the whole thing down temporarily whenever you want to go bowling yourself.

Same applies to a movie theater, I suppose.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 03:30:53 PM »
I don't get it, for $225M+ less you can get a condo/apartment/house anywhere you could possibly want with enough left over to have it professionally furnished.

This house isn't how I'd spend my money, but I'm guessing if you can afford it, you also have a few other places elsewhere.  Some people don't have to do "either/or".

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 04:07:10 PM »
The only really offensive part of this whole deal is that the house comes with a car collection.

What kind of candy-ass poser lets someone furnish a car collection with no input?

If you like cars, and you have $30m to spend on a collection, surely you figure out on your own which cars you'd like to add. If you don't like cars, why bother with a collection?

It'd be like, I dunno, telling an actress that her new apartment comes with a closet full of clothes, for which she has to pay or has no say in it. Or telling an art enthusiast that you hope they'll like the paintings, again, no choice of which ones, but you're paying anyways.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »
The only really offensive part of this whole deal is that the house comes with a car collection.

What kind of candy-ass poser lets someone furnish a car collection with no input?

If you like cars, and you have $30m to spend on a collection, surely you figure out on your own which cars you'd like to add. If you don't like cars, why bother with a collection?

It'd be like, I dunno, telling an actress that her new apartment comes with a closet full of clothes, for which she has to pay or has no say in it. Or telling an art enthusiast that you hope they'll like the paintings, again, no choice of which ones, but you're paying anyways.

Haha, you have to look at that as a selling point.  Like, my wife wouldn't let me run out and just buy a shitload of cars, but if I took the existing collection as a starting point, I could sell them off and use that as a slushfund to buy what I wanted.  "Hey, honey, I know I bought a stupid Singer Porsche, but I did so buy selling off that stupid Bugatti Veyron and I'm actually $2M ahead, which I'll go ahead and spend on a new GT3 and maybe a 458 Speciale and...."

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 06:21:21 PM »
The helicopter does come with the house, but it's a non-functioning replica of a 'copter used in a TV series called Airwolf back in the '80s.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 06:48:34 PM »
AIRWOLF WAS AWWWWESOME!!!!!

Totally worth the quarter of a billion bucks right dere.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 09:59:09 AM »
Hey, the great thing is the car collection gets mortgaged along with the house and furniture. Perfect for some multi-millionaire lightweight who can't afford to buy it outright and needs a loan...

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 11:13:25 AM »

Hell Yeah! Plus need the theme soundtrack to autoplay once the chopper blades start spinning.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »

Haha, you have to look at that as a selling point.  Like, my wife wouldn't let me run out and just buy a shitload of cars, but if I took the existing collection as a starting point, I could sell them off and use that as a slushfund to buy what I wanted.  "Hey, honey, I know I bought a stupid Singer Porsche, but I did so buy selling off that stupid Bugatti Veyron and I'm actually $2M ahead, which I'll go ahead and spend on a new GT3 and maybe a 458 Speciale and...."

Maybe - but if you could drop $250M on a house and the money came from you, I doubt your wife would bat an eye at you buying a $220M house and $30M worth of cars.

Proportionally, that's someone owning a $220k house and a $30k car. Not just completely ordinary, but probably a little low on the car end of what people with $220k houses buy.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 01:48:03 PM »
LalsConstant, do you have 250 mustachian members who each gave you a million, or a million regular suckas who each gave you $250?

Nah, I got 100,000 suckas to cash out all their 401ks.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:56:43 PM by LalsConstant »

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 04:28:02 PM »

Nah, I got 100,000 suckas to cash out all their 401ks.

Ouch! Funny because so painfully true.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 08:57:30 AM »

Hell Yeah! Plus need the theme soundtrack to autoplay once the chopper blades start spinning.

Be sure it is tied down before the weather front blows through. Its only a fiberglass shell and weighs about 50 lbs... (j/k)

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 02:04:34 PM »
"There are hundreds of new billionaires created each year and they are increasingly setting their sights on this coveted enclave of California for everything the state has to offer,”

So lets say a billionaire puts a quarter of his net worth in this house. Any idea what the maintenance and property taxes would be like?  Would you need to be a multi billionaire to keep up with it?
Property tax in Cali is 1% of the purchase price so not much (compared to tax in other states). In addition prop taxes don't really go up by much here so in 10 years when the place is worth a billion taxes will still be based on the $225 million price. Such a deal!!

We have friends with a CA. estate that's a dump compared to this, over 100 acres of grounds and a  10,000+ ft. house. The daily operating costs are just stupid. The electric bills run around $2K a month, and there is a steady parade of contractors through the place to maintain and repair all the systems like, irrigation, water features, HVAC, security, pool, grounds maintenance, etc.....  counting all utilities,  contracted services, insurance, full time caretaker, cleaning staff, etc.... I doubt that it's less than $20K a month to run the place.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 03:24:04 AM »

I worked with a guy (we're architects) that was once hired to do the decor on an apartment and the client wanted a shelf with white books in his living room. It didn't matter what the books were about, only the color mattered.

So perhaps the cars are just a very, very expensive decoration.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 08:13:37 AM »
As a person with alot of experience with old cars - its not like you can just hop in a 60 year old car and go for a drive after sitting for 9 months.

You need a charged battery, the fuel has to be reasonably fresh, carburetors have diaphragms and rubber parts that fail from sitting around, ethanol rusts gas tanks and fuel lines, hydraulic brake systems go bad internally, etc. etc. Then there is insurance, license and registration on each car...   

You almost need an on staff mechanic to keep everything repaired. Most big car collections I've known have a staff mechanic that readies a car for the wealthy owner before the car is needed. Or you send each car to a restoration shop to have everything repaired and tuned every few years. Stuff that gets old rather than wearing out.

Much easier to have a static collection - something that is complete but not expected to function on short notice.

All this is a responsibility I would be happy to accept though. Just have them delivered to my house.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 10:57:14 PM »

I worked with a guy (we're architects) that was once hired to do the decor on an apartment and the client wanted a shelf with white books in his living room. It didn't matter what the books were about, only the color mattered.

So perhaps the cars are just a very, very expensive decoration.

I was thinking maybe it would be a cool job to be the person sourcing these cars for the collection. "Here Jerry, new house going up, needs cars for the garage. $30 mill budget, tops.  Find us some interesting stuff."

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »
I love reading the comments on the different articles regarding this house.

People always talk about how the owner should do this or that instead.

If someone has this type of wealth, they are working because they love to work and they probably already have an estate with acreage. 

I saw someone say this "That is a beautiful car.  But I would rather buy another house than to pay $600k for it."  Pretty pointless comment on someone's for sale thread.  the person who is buying a $600k car probably already has a pretty nice net worth and portfolio.  The car probably takes up very little of his portfolio too. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 03:43:03 PM »
I was thinking maybe it would be a cool job to be the person sourcing these cars for the collection. "Here Jerry, new house going up, needs cars for the garage. $30 mill budget, tops.  Find us some interesting stuff."

True that. You get the high of buying really cool shit, not to mention sourcing it, overseeing repairs and restoration, going for some test drives ... but you don't have to spend your own money to do it. Yeah, that would be a very neat job.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 03:49:48 PM »
I'm posting this here because of the car collection thread.
My sister's neighbor (whose main car is a McLaren of some sort; and his other cars are that caliber) is moving from their neighborhood.  He only has a 2 car garage, and a 2 car driveway. He owns 8 cars and the HOA is no longer letting him park on the street.

Therefore, he needs a house with better parking.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 04:28:06 PM »
My sister's neighbor (whose main car is a McLaren of some sort; and his other cars are that caliber) is moving from their neighborhood.  He only has a 2 car garage, and a 2 car driveway. He owns 8 cars and the HOA is no longer letting him park on the street.

While I agree that the neighbor is an idiot, any HOA that won't let a man park his McLaren in the street is definitely missing out on a major marketing opportunity and is also comprised of idiots.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 05:18:53 PM »
... any HOA ... is also comprised of idiots.

Yep

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »

While I agree that the neighbor is an idiot, any HOA that won't let a man park his McLaren in the street is definitely missing out on a major marketing opportunity and is also comprised of idiots.

A major marketing opportunity but also a major theft risk. But I won't dispute your assessment about the idiots.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 05:35:57 PM »

True that. You get the high of buying really cool shit, not to mention sourcing it, overseeing repairs and restoration, going for some test drives ... but you don't have to spend your own money to do it. Yeah, that would be a very neat job.
Wonder how one applies for such a job.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 06:27:46 AM »

A major marketing opportunity but also a major theft risk. But I won't dispute your assessment about the idiots.

Yeah, but it's the homeowner's theft risk; no risk to the HOA. All they get is free advertising until the McLaren disappears.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 06:54:59 AM »

Yeah, but it's the homeowner's theft risk; no risk to the HOA. All they get is free advertising until the McLaren disappears.

The problem is, cartels and gangs won't stop with just the McLaren. Not once the crew that steals it gets the idea there are "rich" people in the neighborhood it will be one-stop shopping for burglars, home invaders, and carjackers as well.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 07:19:57 AM »
The McLaren has been in the street for a few years. It's pretty obvious it is a "rich" community with or without it on the street; they've got a useless gate and everything!  Though this guys cars are a mile up from everyone else's. My sister isn't 1% rich; she's "married to a lawyer doing pretty well" rich. They've still got student loans though; so I'm sure they'd say they are middle class.

My nephew (age 10) tells me he wants a McLaren for his first car. After it drove by, the next car to come by was an Elantra. I asked him what he thought of that, and he turned up his nose. I bet he changes his mind when he is 16 and I'm ready to get rid of my relatively new Elantra for free or cheap, and a McLaren still costs what a McLaren costs!

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 07:33:08 AM »

What makes you assume that its impressive? He could be the poor neighbor. Having multiple vehicles on the street tends to drive down values, no mater what the car is. I don't care what my neighbor drives until its parked in front of my house, then its a nuisance, I want street parking for guess and not the poor neighbor who can't afford rented garage spots.

*Renting a garage is a common solution for people with more stuff than space. Garages rent for $300/month in my neighbourhood.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »
The McLaren has been in the street for a few years. It's pretty obvious it is a "rich" community with or without it on the street; they've got a useless gate and everything!  Though this guys cars are a mile up from everyone else's. My sister isn't 1% rich; she's "married to a lawyer doing pretty well" rich. They've still got student loans though; so I'm sure they'd say they are middle class.

My nephew (age 10) tells me he wants a McLaren for his first car. After it drove by, the next car to come by was an Elantra. I asked him what he thought of that, and he turned up his nose. I bet he changes his mind when he is 16 and I'm ready to get rid of my relatively new Elantra for free or cheap, and a McLaren still costs what a McLaren costs!

That's still rich enough for a gang or cartel to hit in my city. We had something like 733 auto thefts per 100,000 last year. People are seriously injured or killed weekly in carjackings or "accidents" from people joyriding or running away after causing an accident in a stolen vehicle. The only city with a higher car theft rate is Modesto, CA although their violent crime rate is substantially lower.

Your nephew sounds like a normal kid his age who doesn't yet understand the work and sacrifices necessary to get the goodies they say they want. He'll put it together eventually but until then you'll have some grins and giggles.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 02:05:56 PM »
Hah, we have mclarens everywhere in the bay area. They're hardly the most expensive cars around here. People occasionally stop to take a photo, but less these days, because we have like four in our parking lots. One being parked on a street would be much, much less of a theft risk than a 1996 honda civic.

jamesvt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »

Maybe - but if you could drop $250M on a house and the money came from you, I doubt your wife would bat an eye at you buying a $220M house and $30M worth of cars.

Proportionally, that's someone owning a $220k house and a $30k car. Not just completely ordinary, but probably a little low on the car end of what people with $220k houses buy.
Just from a price standpoint they are proportional, but most if not all the cars in that $30M collection are going to appreciate in value while the $30k car is going to depreciate and fast.