Author Topic: $182,000 in student debt and... happy about it??!  (Read 8024 times)

marcela

• Pencil Stache
Re: $182,000 in student debt and... happy about it??!
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2019, 12:12:30 PM »
My 7th grade daughter took a class called "Money, Money, Money" which was basically a "basic finance" class.
They ended up watching and reading a lot of Dave Ramsey stuff, which was fun to talk about.   

However, one of their assignments was freaking awesome and I was super happy when she came home to talk about it.

She said "I want to be a vet.  And our assignment was to figure out how much it would cost for us to get vet degree from the BEST vet school in the united states".  So, she said "Texas A&M (or maybe University of Texas) was #1, and it would cost me $400,000 to get my undergrad and vet degree there".  My eyes got real big, and then said "Or, I could go to the #8 vet school (Auburn) and pay in-state tuition.  Get it all done for about 180k"

I said, "Yeah, that's a pretty big difference.  What about going to the local 4 year school. Getting a bachelors degree while living at home.  Then transfer to auburn for vet school.  Estimated costs:  100k".

Not sure if she's onboard with that last one, but I was happy that she realized "the best" school was a factor of 2x more expensive than a top-10 school.
Don't want to nitpick (well, maybe I do) but usually Cornell makes the list for best vet school. I'm a Texan and UT is my alma mater, so it would be nice if it were UT! But I worked at Cornell for many years. So, Go Big Red!

The vet school rankings just came out last month and UC Davis took the top spot with Cornell at #2. Texas A&M was in a 4 way tie for #4.
Alabama actually has 2 vet schools, Auburn and Tuskegee, so you get two options for instate tuition. Tuskegee is about half the price of Auburn, but ranked 27th to Auburn's 14th. But to be honest, you have plenty of time before your kid gets to choose a vet school and the ranking might have changed tremendously by then. The most important thing is to make sure your daughter is choosing an undergraduate school that provides all the prerequisite classes needed to apply. Good luck!

hah.  yeah, this was a couple of years ago, and I'm basing that statement on what she said at the time. 
I'm hoping she will attend local college, get a bachelors degree in something, then transition to Vet school.

I am concerned that what happens to her if she doesn't get into ANY vet school.  Will her bachelor's degree in (biology, chemistry, etc) allow her to find a job that's not "vet".
I think it's very important to always have a backup plan or two. Many people do not get into vet school upon first application. There is no shame in this, it's just a numbers game.
As far as majors, there is not one specific major that your daughter would need to have to get in. As long as she has the required prerequisites, she can major in anything. Feel free to message me if you want more info on this as I work in the field.