Author Topic: $150 for kid birthday cake  (Read 10874 times)

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
$150 for kid birthday cake
« on: June 14, 2017, 10:21:49 PM »
We bought a Costco sheet cake for a party for our son for $18.99. It serves 48. Many compliments on the cake. One person asked where it was from and how much it cost. They were very surprised because their nephew just spent $150 on a birthday cake and simply said, "I know it's a lot, but that's how much they cost now."

Alf91

• Stubble
Re: $150 for kid birthday cake
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 05:22:49 AM »
Wow. In what world does a cake cost that much? I often splurge on an icecream cake for my kid's birthday - usually about $30. And then I feel silly because I could make a cake for $5 or less.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 06:42:34 AM »
Alf91, you can even make an ice cream cake.  Just bake the cake flavor of your choice.  Let the ice cream soften, line the right size cake pan with plastic wrap, put the softened ice cream in there and put it in the freezer.  Once it's solid, assemble your cake. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 07:10:54 AM »
Was it decorated in a theme? Fondant work for super hero logos? $150 isn't outrageous to me, guess it depends what the other party expenses were... $300 would be.  Costco cake decoration is pretty generic. My husband made my baby shower cake and spent 12 hours decorating. If he sold that, I'd expect it to cost a lot

Most parties around here have Costco cakes though.  I went to a 7 year olds Birthday party and her mom hand handmade monster cookies, no cake at all. I bet a Costco cake actually would have been cheaper but cake is messy and requires utensils and plates. Cookies were grab and go and jump back in the pool.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 07:37:50 AM »
$150???  What part of the country?  I guess maybe I could see that in Manhattan or something. . . .

I will 'fess up: I have always been the low-key party person, with a homemade cake and kids running around and such.  And then they opened up this *awesome* bakery near my house.  And one year I dropped $50 on a cake there, and it was the most delicious thing ever -- and I don't like cake.*  Except this one.  OMG.

So now, every year, I drop $50 on a birthday cake from this bakery.  For the, umm, "children."  And I thought *that* was an expensive splurge.  For $150, it had better be gold-plated.

*Not exaggerating -- I always had a birthday pie, because cake is a waste of ingredients that had the potential to be delicious if put together in another form.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 07:47:40 AM »
I'm betting it wasn't a standard sheet cake for $150.  If it was something special ordered with labor-intensive decoration, I could see $150 being a reasonable price.  But spending that for a kid's birthday party is not an expense I'd consider.  Our local grocery stores do decent birthday sheet cakes for $20-40, depending on size. 

In my experience, kids don't eat much of anything at birthday parties.  You might as well make the lunch and throw it directly in the trash.  They like to sing happy birthday and be served a piece of cake.  Eating it, not so much.

We did used to have an awesome bakery that would make adorable cakes.  I would get one for our kids' birthdays on non-party years.  Those were expensive (maybe $50 for a round cake) with great themes and original designs. 

I love cake.

cadillacmike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 04:59:23 PM »
We bought a Costco sheet cake for a party for our son for $18.99. It serves 48. Many compliments on the cake. One person asked where it was from and how much it cost. They were very surprised because their nephew just spent $150 on a birthday cake and simply said, "I know it's a lot, but that's how much they cost now."

At least it's not $25,000 for a prom!

That's still absurd. I was miffed when the mini cake I bought for my wife the other day cost $19, but it is her favourite type and the full size one costs almost $30. It's just the two of us and we can't eat a full size one before it gets stale and hard.

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 10:58:33 AM »
My friend gets fancy custom cakes for birthdays and other occasions. I bet they cost $150. But they're very rich. Aren't the cakes incredible? I think I like them more than the kids.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
Yankuba, those cakes are truly amazing!  Really something to see. 

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 11:18:11 AM »
My friend gets fancy custom cakes for birthdays and other occasions. I bet they cost $150. But they're very rich. Aren't the cakes incredible? I think I like them more than the kids.

I would like those cakes better than I like the kids, too. 

;-)

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 11:20:44 AM »
I'm betting it wasn't a standard sheet cake for $150.  If it was something special ordered with labor-intensive decoration, I could see $150 being a reasonable price.  But spending that for a kid's birthday party is not an expense I'd consider.  Our local grocery stores do decent birthday sheet cakes for $20-40, depending on size. 

+1.  It takes me 4-6 hours to bake and decorate a cake*, and I don't mean one of the fondant sculptures you see bragged about online.  If the decorator spends 10 hours hand-making intricate decorations to order, those hours command a wage.

My husband made my baby shower cake and spent 12 hours decorating. If he sold that, I'd expect it to cost a lot

I remember the photo, iowajes, that cake was beautiful.  Twelve hours is serious time!

* I may be getting smarter; that $29 grocery store cake is starting to look pretty good.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 11:42:18 AM »

Those cakes are amazing! I do love the look of a very well decorated cake, but I just can't see the point for a kid's party as they likely won't notice it. But as you mentioned, your friend has the money and if it provides them with joy then more power to them.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 12:09:59 PM »

Those cakes are amazing! I do love the look of a very well decorated cake, but I just can't see the point for a kid's party as they likely won't notice it. But as you mentioned, your friend has the money and if it provides them with joy then more power to them.
The fondant was amazing, we have no idea if the cake was edible. Do kids like to look at cake or eat it? Fancy cake is art, but it doesn't mean the actual cake is delicious. I've been to a few parties with fancy looking cake and I wish people would realize that fundamentally cake needs to taste good, its whats inside that counts.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 12:11:48 PM »
I don't think it's unreasonable for cake decorators to charge a reasonable hourly rate.   Fancy cakes take time, skill, and lots of practice.   I just wouldn't buy them for a kid's birthday party.   Mine get a home made and decorated cake.   Reasonably cute,  though clearly home done.  It has real buttercream though,  instead of the icky grocery store frosting, and a delicious cake.   Even including the specialty colors and decorations,  they run about $12-15 and take about an hour of active time.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 12:33:32 PM »

The fondant was amazing, we have no idea if the cake was edible. Do kids like to look at cake or eat it? Fancy cake is art, but it doesn't mean the actual cake is delicious. I've been to a few parties with fancy looking cake and I wish people would realize that fundamentally cake needs to taste good, its whats inside that counts.

That's a good point. I'm not much of a fan of cake (too sweet), so I guess for me, looking at a cake provides me with more joy. The only cakes I consistently like are ice cream cakes!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 01:30:33 PM »

That's my deal.  Some cakes need to be so firm and dense to maintain their special shape and support decorations that they don't taste good.  I find fondant also often doesn't taste good.  I insist that the cake be delicious, even if that means the cake/icing used doesn't lend itself to being stunning food art.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 03:12:26 PM »
Was it decorated in a theme? Fondant work for super hero logos? $150 isn't outrageous to me, guess it depends what the other party expenses were... $300 would be.  Costco cake decoration is pretty generic. My husband made my baby shower cake and spent 12 hours decorating. If he sold that, I'd expect it to cost a lot

Yeesh. Our wedding cake was some generic red velvet cake from Walmart.

I honestly can't think of a valid reason to spend $150 on a cake. I guess maybe if it can feed 100+ people?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 04:53:05 PM »

I honestly can't think of a valid reason to spend $150 on a cake. I guess maybe if it can feed 100+ people?

Like you said, large size.  Catering to someone with dietary restrictions.  A cake centered around an expensive ingredient.  A cake for an event that's intended to signal social/economic status (how valid that expectation is can be a matter of debate).

iowajes, I know how special your baby shower was, so if having that gorgeous cake made you and your DH happy, I think it's great (and he did an amazing job!)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 05:53:54 PM »
My husband made my baby shower cake and spent 12 hours decorating. If he sold that, I'd expect it to cost a lot

iowajes, I know how special your baby shower was, so if having that gorgeous cake made you and your DH happy, I think it's great (and he did an amazing job!)

Iowajes, do you have a photo of your baby shower cake that you're willing to share?  I'd love to see!

StacheyStache

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 06:01:06 PM »
My parents once got me a Barbie dress cake from BI-LO (one of those where the cake is Barbie's dress and they have a real Barbie sticking out).  Almost certainly less than 50 bucks.  I wanted one SO bad and was so happy when I saw it.  It tasted gross though.  Best cakes were my mom's homemade chocolate picnic cakes.  They didn't look fancy but the bowl got licked clean.  Any future kids will be getting homemade cakes as well, unless they are absolutely dying to have a 'specialty' cake (that they happen to see at the grocery store.  They will never see fancy bakery cakes as an option.  Sorry kids, mama had a homemade picnic cake for her sweet sixteen, you will live).

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:02:52 PM by StacheyStache »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 07:05:12 PM »

Iowajes, do you have a photo of your baby shower cake that you're willing to share?  I'd love to see!

The sugar roses took forever, but tasted so good. This was his first cake. A pro would be faster, but roses and basketweave take time.  He will save us a fortune on cakes as the baby gets older!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevi9903/32298691333/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:08:21 PM by iowajes »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 07:07:08 PM »

I didn't pay for it (boglehead mother selected the bakery) and never ever would....but my wedding cake cost more than my dress...the price had 4 digits in it... 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 08:36:28 PM »
My parents once got me a Barbie dress cake from BI-LO (one of those where the cake is Barbie's dress and they have a real Barbie sticking out).  Almost certainly less than 50 bucks.  I wanted one SO bad and was so happy when I saw it.  It tasted gross though.  Best cakes were my mom's homemade chocolate picnic cakes.  They didn't look fancy but the bowl got licked clean.  Any future kids will be getting homemade cakes as well, unless they are absolutely dying to have a 'specialty' cake (that they happen to see at the grocery store.  They will never see fancy bakery cakes as an option.  Sorry kids, mama had a homemade picnic cake for her sweet sixteen, you will live).

Make an angel food cake from a $1.99 box mix, trim the upper corners so it's more bell-shaped, shove a naked Barbie down the center, wedge in the bits you trimmed off the upper corners to keep her there, and frost everything in sight with Cool Whip. Maybe put some Smarties or M&Ms on the "dress" for decoration. Cheapest if you steal one of your kid's Barbies to do it.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 08:40:55 PM »
Your husband did an awesome job with the cake, iowajes!

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 09:03:22 PM »
The sugar roses took forever, but tasted so good. This was his first cake. A pro would be faster, but roses and basketweave take time.  He will save us a fortune on cakes as the baby gets older!

Wow, that looks super intricate and difficult to make.  It came out beautiful!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 09:04:58 PM »
Iowajes, the cake looks just gorgeous! 

I developed an interesting in cake baking fairly late in life - in my early 50's (am 53 now).  I just make basic chocolate or vanilla cakes with buttercream frosting for birthdays.   Sometimes I think I should try something fancier. 

cadillacmike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 10:25:43 PM »

Has anyone ever tried to eat those? That thick covering that they pass off as frosting is just awful.  I like any regular cake with traditional cream cheese or chocolate frosting.  I've liked the frosting more than the cake.

And the cake more than the kids!

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 01:17:52 AM »

Has anyone ever tried to eat those? That thick covering that they pass off as frosting is just awful.  I like any regular cake with traditional cream cheese or chocolate frosting.  I've liked the frosting more than the cake.

Depends on the baker you use. My mother-in-law at one point ran a cake making business, and actually got featured on the covers of magazines in the past. Hers got rave reviews on tasty to go along with the pretty factor.

No, she doesn't do it anymore. She's doesn't feel like spending many hours in the kitchen. Lately, she's been making her husband grill for her a lot so she doesn't even have to do much dinner prep. Good on her. Lady is retired and a cancer survivor. She deserves to relax. :)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 10:51:12 AM »
This is pretty common.

We are in the middle of "birthday season" here.  Finally my older kid grew out of the multiple birthday parties (he's 11, only invited to a few now).  But kid #2 is in preschool and has been invited to a crap ton this year.  Another this weekend.

Having been there/ done that for kid #1 many years in a row (6? 7?) I can tell you that the low-end birthday party is going to be $250.  Now, what I mean by this is the following:
1.  Party for 10-15 kids (if you are in preschool or school, expected to invite everyone.  If you choose a different path and invite fewer, you are still going to get siblings.)
2.  Party not at your house (because my house is too small, we did do a home party once)
3.  Generally feeding people a meal.

So an "activity" like bowling or a gym or the YMCA starts at $250 for the party, no food included.
Park rentals are $80+
We did this for many years, and just considered the party family parties, and figured it was the price for seeing all of our friends.  We worked it into our general party budget.

The parties we are attending this year are even more expensive.  Rental places like the YMCA.  A lot of them are at parks, with pretty elaborate foods, crafts, bouncy houses, etc.  I feel a little bad for kid #2 - I happily go, let him be entertained, buy a gift.  But I'm not throwing him a party.  We are going to have 2 families over for dinner.

In any event, cake.  I have a friend who throws a big elaborate party for her kid #1 every year.  And this kid is really into elaborate cakes.  For some reason, I think they don't like Costco cakes.  I think they are fine, but I don't really like cake.  They tend to go to the grocery store instead, and those cakes are $40+, and not decorated.  Then she decorates with airplanes and stuff.

I have another friend who really likes to support the local bakery by buying elaborate cakes, and they are $150+, easily.  You are paying for someone's time, skill, and expertise.

We just bake cakes in our house, occasionally will be lazy and buy cupcakes from a bakery.  My hubby used to be quite good at  elaborate cakes (but obviously not the same quality as a bakery).   He's done a Lego cake (basically a 9x 13 with 6 upside down cupcakes), hearts, Darth Vader's face, a train, bunny, and light sabers.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 01:41:33 PM »

The expensive bakery near me makes absolutely delicious cakes that are gorgeous.  The frosting is wonderful  They aren't fondant though.  Fondant tastes nasty, imo.

If you want to make a very nice looking homemade cake that looks like you are much more talented than you really are (or at least than I am) this idea works very well.  http://iambaker.net/rose-cake-tutorial/

It does take a ton of icing, but the cake looks spectacular with very little effort.  You can do two-toned roses by lining the pastry bag with tinted frosting and then filling it up with regular.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 02:03:07 PM »
I love how this thread has yielded DIY cake decorating ideas I am totally going to use, now (basketweave, roses).

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 02:05:06 PM »
Cake is basically cake, as far as I'm concerned, I've had great cakes from Costco, great cakes from $$$ bakeries, crap cakes from $$$ bakeries, and crap cakes from grocery stores. 

Personally, whenever it's a holiday for ME (birthday or recently father's day) I request a $19  round chocolate cake from Portillos which is basically the best cake ever.  Chicagoland people know what I'm talking about.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 03:21:35 PM »
Cake is basically cake, as far as I'm concerned, I've had great cakes from Costco, great cakes from $$$ bakeries, crap cakes from $$$ bakeries, and crap cakes from grocery stores. 

Personally, whenever it's a holiday for ME (birthday or recently father's day) I request a $19  round chocolate cake from Portillos which is basically the best cake ever.  Chicagoland people know what I'm talking about.

As a Chicagoan that has since moved to California, I would spend an alarming amount of money to get a Portillos cake out here. Probably not $150 though.

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 03:32:08 PM »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevi9903/32298691333/

He seriously did a amazing job.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2017, 05:10:55 PM »
Different situation altogether, but I have some friends who finally managed to have their first baby after 10 years of trying and multiple miscarriages. They didn't have a baby shower, and they didn't celebrate when the child was born, but the moment she hit 3 months (after the main danger zone for cot death) they had a HUGE party. They must have spent $5000 easily. Can't blame them.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2017, 06:20:06 PM »

That reminds me of people who say "this is what weddings cost now". No. A wedding costs whatever you are willing to pay for it.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2017, 08:55:14 PM »

That reminds me of people who say "this is what weddings cost now". No. A wedding costs whatever you are willing to pay for it.

Yup, and word to the wise, they'll cost less if you don't give a damn about pleasing everyone.

The Indian community spends an obscene amount of money on a wedding, I hope not to. I would rather get a court ceremony and dinner at a fancy restaurant or something like that. I don't want anything planned or people to fly in or any the stress or cost associated to such a headache.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2017, 11:46:14 PM »
After years of dealing with this bs from my wife and her mom when it came time to birthday party cakes I put a stop to it two weeks.  They always flip flop from the latest greatest baker to the next.  The only constant thing was that all the cakes still sucked and it cost me to much.  I informed them I would be taking over cake duty for my baby girls 1 year old party.  I felt like the Americans during WWII I was getting flanked on both sides with noise grenades thrown at me to keep me off balance as my wife  and her month plotted my final demise.  I got out of there by the skin of my tooth.  Safe to say I took over the cake duty and guess what.  We had 3 amazing beautiful cakes each decorated differently and one smash cake.  We fed 75 people at this party and my total cake cost was $65.  The joy I got when people kempt commenting on the cakes and how they where the best they'd ever had.  I just stood there basking in the glow of hatred my mother in law was projecting on to me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!