Author Topic: $14 jam found in my fridge  (Read 9829 times)

jac941

• Bristles
$14 jam found in my fridge
« on: March 22, 2016, 11:36:07 AM »
$13.95 for a 10 oz (284 g) jar of jam. Found inside my refrigerator. Facepunch.

This is why I cringe when my spouse does the grocery shopping. He absolutely does not think to check prices. At all. I did call him out on this one and it's become a joke in the house. Even he realizes that this is outrageous.

In case you're wondering, the jam is good. But it's not better than the $3-6 varieties of organic locally made jams readily available.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: $14 jam found in my fridge
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 11:41:40 AM »
You must not have a Polish grandmother.  Jams, pickles, relish . . . all would be overflowing from your shelves and fridge year round.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 12:15:10 PM »
that's where I buy fresh pasta : )

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 12:17:59 PM »
At least it's not an expired $14 jar of jam.  I cry a little inside whenever I find expired food in my house.

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 12:29:45 PM »
You must not have a Polish grandmother.  Jams, pickles, relish . . . all would be overflowing from your shelves and fridge year round.

I would like this. Where can I get a Polish grandmother?

jac941

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 12:41:07 PM »

Ha! My husband would have had a Polish grandmother if she hadn't died before he was born. Turns out jam making isn't genetic.

I actually have a triple crown blackberry (the variety in the offending jam) in my yard that I had plans to make jam and pies and everything else out of. I've yet to have a fresh ripe berry make the journey from the vine to my kitchen. My kids eat everything they can reach. That will teach me to plant thornless varieties.

jac941

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 12:44:20 PM »
that's where I buy fresh pasta : )

They do have great fresh pasta -- but my husband actually makes excellent fresh pasta himself. So I guess that savings compensates for the jam ;-)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 01:07:26 PM »

She doesn't need to be a grandmother. Just find a Slavic woman who's competent in the kitchen, and do things that make her happy.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 01:19:59 PM »

She doesn't need to be a grandmother. Just find a Slavic woman who's competent in the kitchen, and do things that make her happy.

I'll have to keep that in mind. With any luck she'll likely be more frugal than I am.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 01:27:06 PM »

I'll have to keep that in mind. With any luck she'll likely be more frugal than I am.

All you have to do is strike up a friendship. Just do things that a friend or a good neighbor might do. Help with the yard or the spring cleaning. Show up with a big basket of fresh vegetables. Invite her and her family over to dinner. She's genetically or culturally obligated to feed everyone in sight, so pretty soon you'll be on the pickle distribution list.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 01:31:05 PM »

My tiny grandmother (RIP), born in Europe in 1910, would order out Chinese food every time we would visit. She didn't like cooking and she was bad at it. She had a graduate degree and spoke eight languages, but because of rigid gender stereotypes she stayed home and made her kids overcooked beef liver and canned peas for dinner (and occasionally worked fairly menial jobs). Her husband (RIP) had a degree from a culinary school in France, but he didn't do any cooking at home, because he had to go to work every day.

Free the Polish grandmothers from the tyranny of stereotypical jam-making! ;-)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 01:33:40 PM »

My tiny grandmother (RIP), born in Europe in 1910, would order out Chinese food every time we would visit. She didn't like cooking and she was bad at it. She had a graduate degree and spoke eight languages, but because of rigid gender stereotypes she stayed home and made her kids overcooked beef liver and canned peas for dinner (and occasionally worked fairly menial jobs). Her husband (RIP) had a degree from a culinary school in France, but he didn't do any cooking at home, because he had to go to work every day.

Wow, talk about an inefficient use of resources.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 01:36:45 PM »

Stay the hell away from my grannie you rabble-rouser!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 01:43:50 PM »

She outlived two husbands and eventually died a millionaire octogenarian after investing in Intel and Microsoft in the 1980s, still living in a studio apartment with a twin-sized bed. *cue MMM theme song*

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 01:47:19 PM »
At least it's not an expired $14 jar of jam.  I cry a little inside whenever I find expired food in my house.

Dates mean nothing to me.  It has to look or smell bad before I throw it away.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 01:52:39 PM »

She outlived two husbands and eventually died a millionaire octogenarian after investing in Intel and Microsoft in the 1980s, still living in a studio apartment with a twin-sized bed. *cue MMM theme song*

I didn't mean to criticize your grandmother. What I meant was that she had a graduate degree and stayed home and cooked food because of societal pressure, whereas her husband didn't cook due to work constraints, but likely was better at cooking.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 01:57:04 PM »

I didn't mean to criticize your grandmother. What I meant was that she had a graduate degree and stayed home and cooked food because of societal pressure, whereas her husband didn't cook due to work constraints, but likely was better at cooking.

Oh, I didn't take it as a critique, I just thought it might make you feel better that her intelligence, education and mustachianism finally triumphed in spite of harmful 1950s gender roles ;-)

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 05:48:13 PM »

That's how I feel about most of the guys I dated.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 06:07:29 PM »

No Polish grandmother needed! Canning is easy! I can't remember the last time I needed to buy jam. I'm busily trying to eat down last year's stash before fruit comes into season again. I cracked open my first jar of honey spiced peaches tonight and they are SO good.

(I'm half Polish. But it was my German grandmother who canned.)

Also, I feel your pain because I recently bought $12 salad dressing completely by accident. It had been mis-shelved and the price on the shelf was a normal salad-dressing price. I was too embarrassed at the cashier to ask for it to be put back, once I realized how expensive it was. And it didn't even taste good! I felt like I was choking that stuff down for weeks!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:09:20 PM by Tris Prior »

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 07:27:46 PM »
For me, home-canned jams and jellies were the gateway drug to spaghetti sauce, pickles, and salsa.  It really is easy to do!

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 06:04:52 AM »
My fiancée is exactly the same! He buys fancy $15  condiments cause he thinks they look good, and always always falls for multibuys on things we don't eat- he brought home 3 fancy organic 9-seed loaves this week  cause they were buy 2, get one free.
A) they  cost $12, as opposed to my normal $2 bread.
B) we eat about 6 slices combined in a week, so 2.5 loaves went mouldy
c) DS thinks seeds in bread look like ants and won't eat them.

I refuse to let him come grocery shopping, as he can manage to slip a few "good bargains" or "new treats" into the trolley, which inevitably makes the grocery bill cost $80 more than it normally does when I shop alone.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 09:28:14 AM »
My mom always tried her damnest to avoid having my dad pick up groceries, even if it meant leaving in the middle of cooking something to pick up something (before me and my siblings could drive). The reason was that my dad either

a. Didn't pick the correct item or quantity (whipped cream instead of heavy cream)
b. Would pick tons of unnecessary things that caught his fancy. Fruit was the worst cause he would buy a ton of it and then keep pestering all of us to eat it because it was going bad. When he discovered farmer's market he went ballistic and bought so much cucumbers and tomatoes, and ended up bringing most of it to the office because there was no way we would be able to consume it. In hindsight, I should have encouraged him to can it, but I doubt he would have been interested.
c. Both

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 09:41:15 AM »

My fiancée is exactly the same! He buys fancy $15  condiments cause he thinks they look good, and always always falls for multibuys on things we don't eat- he brought home 3 fancy organic 9-seed loaves this week  cause they were buy 2, get one free.

I refuse to let him come grocery shopping, as he can manage to slip a few "good bargains" or "new treats" into the trolley, which inevitably makes the grocery bill cost $80 more than it normally does when I shop alone.

The story of my life. My grocery bill doubles when DH comes shopping with me. And it's usually processed snack food :(

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 10:00:19 AM »
While we're busting stereotypes, I would like volunteer that I (a woman) am much less likely to stick to the grocery list than my husband is. We've both gotten better than we used to be, but I almost never stick entirely to the list.

And the only people in my family who ever canned were my great-grandma, who made a horrific rhubarb slop, and my new-age Gen X aunt who was homesteading before homesteading was cool.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 10:02:06 AM »

The story of my life. My grocery bill doubles when DH comes shopping with me. And it's usually processed snack food :(

The key to fixing this problem for me is to eat a large meal before going shopping.  When I'm hungry the cart fills itself with snack foods and tasty stuff for some reason.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 12:10:41 PM »

Excess bread can be refrigerated which will extend it's life by several weeks.  If you are really overstocked, it can be frozen and used for toast at a later date.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 05:12:33 PM »
I hate letting DH do the grocery shopping for fear that he might skip the clearance aisle.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »

Yep, you unscrew the lid and something reaches out of the jar and tries to grab your wrist. Time to throw it out NOW! ;)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2016, 01:45:50 PM »

That's how I feel about most of the guys I dated.
Hee, it took me 54 years to find my one-and-only and he was worth every second of the wait. BTW, he still looks and smells pretty good!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!