Author Topic: $13,500 Farmed Deer Hunt  (Read 6548 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
$13,500 Farmed Deer Hunt
« on: November 05, 2014, 09:19:10 AM »
$13,500 Farmed Deer Hunt Shoot

I enjoy hunting, but this is absurd:

http://www.kentuckytrophydeer.com/index.php/rates-and-dates/month.calendar/2014/11/05/-

Korder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: $13,500 Farmed Deer Hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
Agree on the absurdity.  Often times these "hunters" are simply those masquerading as outdoorsman, the same guys who drive the new "Off-Road" Z71s and TRDs which have never touched gravel, let alone been off-road.  I wonder if this place includes the "gutting package" for $99?

If you're going to hunt... hunt.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
Deer meat sucks anyway.  Moose is just so much better.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 09:45:53 AM »
I was just talking to someone (an actual hunter) about this concept the other day. These guys are such a joke.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 10:36:33 AM »
A few years ago a coworker of mine, a hunter and a big Boston Red Sox fan, paid over ten grand to go hunt on Josh Beckett (then Red Sox pitcher)'s ranch in Texas.  He then paid another three grand (I think) to get the deer he shot taxidermied and shipped to Virginia.  Successful trip?  For him, no--he whined that for the money he'd paid he should have gotten to meet Beckett.  I laughed in his face before I could stop myself. 

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 01:19:44 PM »
I like to hunt, but that isn't hunting.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 06:07:22 PM »
Hunting produces food.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »
Ironically I was just looking at land on a trophy buck land site in my area.  The average hunting acreage was going from 800K to 3 mill.      So yeah,  I guess you could buy the land to hunt on for 40K to 200K per year. 

BeerBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 01:02:57 PM »
I can't imagine paying that, the most I've spent on a hunt was 350 per person for boar. And that was to hunt 14,000 acres, I don't understand the "penned hunts".

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 08:39:26 AM »
Or you could skip paying someone to have a penned hunt and come to places like Montana, Idaho or Wyoming where abundant open space and public land mean you don't have to drop several thousand to get you Elmer Fudd on.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 09:46:21 AM »
SO their season is anytime they want because it is private land?

I have seen a few deer farms around here, they are fun to drive by and see so many deer, but hunting like that doesn't really seem like hunting at all. We have 30 acres that we let our neighbor hunt on fro free.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 10:33:19 AM »
As someone that doesn't hunt, please let me know how much a deer hunt should cost?

I imagine that hunters need to pay for tags, but generally is there any additional cost for hunting? How much does it typically cost for hunting on private land, or are there public lands that people can hunt on?

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 11:46:09 AM »
Cost for hunting can be very high.  Out of state tags are generally pretty pricey.  In the hundreds.

Hunting (not including land) in Missouri is a multi billion dollar business.  There are something like 5 or 6 hundred thousand deer hunters in most states that deer hunt.  So in our state there are more armed hunters on opening day than there are armed soldiers in the US army. 

It is relatively inexpensive to hunt on your own land with tags here.  Less than 50 I think. 

Most of the state owned or fed owned land is generally off limits.  The 16,000 acre state park near my home is a no hunt zone.   Private land is an option if you have friends or family that own land. 

Amazingly some of the bigger tracts of land,  60 - 700 acres are marketed to folks with the intent of them being hunting land primarily.   Apparently folks are willing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for private hunting land.

If you own a gun and either have land or friends who allow you to hunt it can be pretty cheap thrills but probably doesn't pencil out on a cost per pound basis compared to grass fed beef.    You have to figure you cost of guns and ammo, tags,  hotel accommodations (or camping fees),  meals on the road,  $200 in beer/liquor per average deer,  hunting clothes,  deer stands,  gas, and processing which can be as much $2 per pound.   

That said, a guy that owns his land already and has all the equipment, and processes it himself could probably come out with 200 pounds of deer meat in a season.  It pencils out fine that way.  Of course the alternative use of time would eat up the math,  but it is mostly a hobby. 

A $15,000 farmed deer hunt wouldn't be out of bounds as many hunters are looking for trophy hunts.   If a person earns 150K a year and does this once in a lifetime it would make sense.  Doesn't really make sense to someone looking to retire on 25k per year. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 12:02:18 PM »
As someone that doesn't hunt, please let me know how much a deer hunt should cost?

I imagine that hunters need to pay for tags, but generally is there any additional cost for hunting? How much does it typically cost for hunting on private land, or are there public lands that people can hunt on?

The high price is for guarantees of getting a deer (and if I was reading that website right a deer with particular antler size).  When you do real hunting it could well be a few days in the woods with nothing to show for it.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »
You can shoot nuisance deer (which ate all deer lol)  without a license on your own land here, so if you process it yourself (or even if you don't) it's a good deal. If you don't have land or friends with land, it's just another spendy hobby.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 02:52:34 PM »
Deer are douchebags. I love the wolf reintroduction so they can start getting eaten again.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 03:44:05 PM »
You can shoot nuisance deer (which ate all deer lol)  without a license on your own land here, so if you process it yourself (or even if you don't) it's a good deal. If you don't have land or friends with land, it's just another spendy hobby.

I concur. All deer are nuisance deer.

My dad says Deer are just Rats with antlers :) They eat everything, it's so annoying

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 04:44:36 PM »

I concur. All deer are nuisance deer.

My dad says Deer are just Rats with antlers :) They eat everything, it's so annoying

Well, I've never eaten a rat, but if they taste anything like squirrel, I can at least verify that deer are much yummier.

On the eating everything problem: plant your garden next to a hayfield. You'll never have deer trouble.