Author Topic: $11K a year on takeout?!?  (Read 15847 times)

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache

xenon5

• Stubble
Re: $11K a year on takeout?!?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »
Bob Smith 23 hours ago
"honestly, $11k a years is not outrageous.  That's a little more than $30 a day."

Wha?

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 05:26:42 AM »
The big shock for me was the assertion that the national average of meals eaten at restaurants or take out is 47%. 47%!?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 05:48:56 AM »
We spent less than 50$ last year on restaurants and takeout combined.  Average people in new york eating "58 percent of meals from restaurants and takeout" is fricking insanity.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 07:35:53 AM »
$11k is insanity, but I don't know how you guys spend less than $50/yr.  I like to order pizza once a month.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 07:50:11 AM »
We average a little over $100 a month on restaurants. That also includes us paying for family who visit and the fact that we moved this year.
I'm disappointed because this is higher than I expected. We're planning on doing a year end "what we actually spent" in December to try to look at areas for improvement.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
This made me facepalm:

“We have a customer who WunWuns Starbucks every day,” says the app’s founder, Lee Hnetinka. “The Starbucks is right below her building.”

Seriously, you're so fucking lazy you won't take the ELEVATOR down to Starbucks?

With that being said, it's not hard to get addicted to food delivery in NYC.  I worked there in the eighties long before stuff like Seamless existed, and it was a very rare day that I didn't get a sandwich or Chinese food delivered to me for lunch--because if I didn't get delivery I was going to a food cart.

These days Mr. Mandalay and I have cut way back on eating out and pretty much limit it to special occasions.  You know, like you should do.  :D

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 07:59:38 AM »
The big shock for me was the assertion that the national average of meals eaten at restaurants or take out is 47%. 47%!?

Average people in new york eating "58 percent of meals from restaurants and takeout" is fricking insanity.

I'm surprised that the national average is that high, and I'm surprised the New York average is that low. (Maybe it's New York state, not New York City?) I was under the impression that hardly anybody in Manhattan cooked regularly because they have closet-sized kitchens.

index

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 08:05:58 AM »
We keep ours to <$100/week. We usually go out for a nice meal once a month ($75 per person) and several pizza/bar outings with friends to watch sporting events, happy hours, etc...

Heywood57

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 08:26:04 AM »
I have a co-worker who very rarely eats at home.
They easily spend $300+ a week for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 10:22:34 AM »
We keep ours to <$100/week. We usually go out for a nice meal once a month ($75 per person) and several pizza/bar outings with friends to watch sporting events, happy hours, etc...

$100/week is still $5,200 per year, or about half of the woman in the article. If you consider on a per person basis you're at about a quarter of her costs.

That still seems far to high to me though. My wife and I spend less than $50 per month. Our entire monthly food expense (groceries + dining out) for the both of us is $300 per month.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 10:27:59 AM »

That is what floored me, too.

And the guy who plans to keep spending $1800 a month because when would he cook food?  Like it would be so hard to get a mini fridge and a microwave in the office?  But I'm sure that kind of thing is beneath him.

And to think I felt all splurgy because I spent $2.49 for a coffee at Starbucks this morning instead of making a thermos.

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »
Wow, I felt bad about spending $8.70 for a shitty airport sandwich earlier today. Turns out I am way under budget!

Lia-Aimee

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 10:35:22 AM »
When I was in uni, I was usually working 3 jobs on top of that which lead to being out 13-16 hours every day.  Sometimes I didn't want to carry 3 meals a day with me in addition to school stuff and work stuff, so I'd eat out.  But I'd find the absolute cheapest means of doing so - a bagel makes a perfectly fine lunch and can be acquired for $1.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »
I am way under budget too it seems.  I set aside $25 a month for splurges, usually for when my friends want to do a last-minute get together for coffee.  I've only spent $4.75 this month :).

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 11:20:40 AM »
And the guy who plans to keep spending $1800 a month because when would he cook food?

My back of the envelope calculations works out to maybe $30/hour that his time cooking food would be worth. If he's making $200k+/year maybe it's not worth it. Maybe.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
$11k is insanity, but I don't know how you guys spend less than $50/yr.  I like to order pizza once a month.

Why order?  I made pizza last night.  30 minutes from scratch, and the crust was exactly the way we like it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 11:39:04 AM »
And the guy who plans to keep spending $1800 a month because when would he cook food?

My back of the envelope calculations works out to maybe $30/hour that his time cooking food would be worth. If he's making $200k+/year maybe it's not worth it. Maybe.

If he really saves 2 hours per day, every day by ordering food and paying for it instead of say - popping something in the microwave, or spending 5 minutes throwing together a sandwich.  It still takes a couple minutes to place the order, and then get the food paid for and handed off.  I can see how it can make sense for a high earner to pay someone else to prep meals, but it could be done in a more efficient way. Most people who think they are so efficient at work that taking 5 minutes to actually heat up food all by themselves probably waste more time than that because we all need breaks from our Serious Important Work.  The other thing that is disgusting is how much TRASH is generated by all of this takeout.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 12:00:20 PM »

Why order?  I made pizza last night.  30 minutes from scratch, and the crust was exactly the way we like it.

I like home made pizza too, but there is just something about ordered pizza that tastes different.  We do pizza probably once a week, some times frozen pizza from costco, sometimes home made, but we like to order out once in awhile.  It reality it's not once a month, because sometimes we do other things instead of ordering pizza.   I try to keep the monthly restaurant budget around $30/mo, so if we go out to a diner or something we may not order pizza that month. 

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 12:06:35 PM »
Pizza from a pizza place are much better than ones that you cook from the store or ones you make by yourself. It's near impossible to get that tasty level of grease that the restaurants do!

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 12:16:37 PM »
My husband and I ordered takeout last night. It cost about $40 with tax, delivery, tip, etc. We are in the middle of a bit of a family crisis and didn't feel like cooking or paying attention the budget.

We actually commented on how expensive it would be to regularly order takeout. I'm sadly not surprised some people spend that much on it.

index

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 12:31:58 PM »

$100/week is still $5,200 per year, or about half of the woman in the article. If you consider on a per person basis you're at about a quarter of her costs.

That still seems far to high to me though. My wife and I spend less than $50 per month. Our entire monthly food expense (groceries + dining out) for the both of us is $300 per month.

I agree with you and we do need to scale it back. We bring our lunches to work and eat in at least 5 nights a week. It's really easy to spend a lot going out if you buy drinks. A football game with a couple beers each and a pizza is easily $50-60 after a tip. $40 is an easy at a bar with a few drinks a piece. Sushi is about $40. Figure one work happy hour at $30, and the fancy dinner at $150 and you are easily up to $320.

The fancy dinner really is something we look forward to for weeks and I usually leave the restaurant not regretting the money spent at all.

On the grocery front we stay around $100 a week which includes liquor, beer, and wine. We don't eat processed food at all and my wife is a very good cook.

I guess it comes down to what is important to you to spend money on. To us, food is something worth investing in. It is the only thing that you truly take with you where ever you go. A fancy meal, or an ethnic dish like sushi or Ethiopian food is something that we can't recreate (or may cost too much to recreate) at home and makes it worth the extra money in my opinion. Eating what we want will probably push retirement back a few years, but to us its worth it.

Save money on big ticket items- cars, housing, and medical stuff and you will come out ahead of 95% of people even if you have some splurges.

Fallenour

• Stubble
  • RE/PM Investor, P2P lender, Business Owner
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 12:46:17 PM »
Its a time valuation concept, and its actually not much.

I make an average of 65-450/hr per job that I do, and I have very steady work (IT security).

Cooking a full meal (1 meat, two vegetables, 1 bread) takes roughly 30-45 minutes.

Time valuation is 1 hr equals 1 hour of wages, with your total value equaling your time value times 168 hours in a week.

From a concept of cooking, if a spend 30 minutes a day cooking a meal, 3 times a day, I spend 1.5 hours per day, 10.5 hours per week.

At my rate, I'd spend over 650 dollars a week cooking, as compared to 30 per day ordering in. Ordering out pays for itself time wise.

Now if you don't value your time, its another story. I didn't just get married because I love my wife though. I saw added financial benefits, and her working wasn't the only one. *dodges rocks and spears*

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
We aren't quite mustachian on our eating out yet- but for two of us it is less than $100 a month (eating out and takeout).

Our favorite Chinese food place it now costs $30 to get what we like to order, which is really high for take out, so we only go like once or twice a year.  But that is enough for about 5 meals each.  Now that we haven't gone there much for like 3 or 4 years we are running seriously low on plastic containers for lunch.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »
I wonder how much he tipped?  I had a friend who delivered takeout in college, mostly to college students, at what is probably the most affluent state school.  He said the tips were amazing as most of the students were on daddy's dime!

Datastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 01:52:47 PM »

That's the part that truly blew my mind, too.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 01:58:45 PM »

I make an average of 65-450/hr per job that I do, and I have very steady work (IT security).

Cooking a full meal (1 meat, two vegetables, 1 bread) takes roughly 30-45 minutes.

Time valuation is 1 hr equals 1 hour of wages, with your total value equaling your time value times 168 hours in a week.

From a concept of cooking, if a spend 30 minutes a day cooking a meal, 3 times a day, I spend 1.5 hours per day, 10.5 hours per week.

At my rate, I'd spend over 650 dollars a week cooking, as compared to 30 per day ordering in. Ordering out pays for itself time wise.
Now if you don't value your time, its another story. I didn't just get married because I love my wife though. I saw added financial benefits, and her working wasn't the only one. *dodges rocks and spears*

Wrong attitude!  This is not badass at all.  This is the same mentality that allows so many people on here to justify their maids, gardeners, nannies, and chauffeurs.  This site really is about doing things yourself and that includes cooking and cleaning your own toilet. 

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 03:40:16 PM »

I have to ask - do you REALLY work those additional 1.5 hours a day in lieu of cooking?  Do you REALLY spend those additional 10.5 hours / week working, in lieu of cooking?   

If so why do you bother to sleep?  Using the $65 / hr you assign to cooking, the 8 hrs / day, 7 days a week, you're using up 56 hours out of your budget of 168 hours and "wasting" $3,600+ / week on sleep - just think how much cocaine and speed you could buy for $1,000....it would be profitable!  The 10 minutes / day on the shower is costing you ~1.1 hours a week - a mere $70, not counting the cost to heat the water, the soap and shampoo, etc.  Just think of what it's costing you with all the time you waste changing clothes instead of just wearing the same thing until it literally falls off your back!!!!!  And OMG....those damn friends are costing you a boat load of cash every time you chat or hang out with them.  And WTF are you doing here on MMM - in the time it took you to type your post, you could have made another $5.  Sorry if this seems snarky, but I find the type of assertions you're making don't hold water UNLESS you are actually giving up working hours to do the task that can be possibly outsourced - cooking, cleaning, yard work, auto maintenance, etc.  (and yes, one can't outsource sleeping....note, its hyperbole for the sake of illustration).

Then there are the intangible costs of outsourcing versus insourcing:  The food I cook at home is far, FAR healthier than commercially prepared food - they slather in salt, oil / fat, MSG and who the hell knows what else and serve oversized portions.  At home, I have total control of what goes into the meal and make "just the right" amount.  Another intangible of DIY - the satisfaction that comes from making it EXACTLY the way you like in every detail.  Then there's the stress of working 70, 80, 90 hours a week....instead of a leisurely bit of time over the stove sipping a beer while dinner simmers.

In the long run....I'd call the outsourcing of the basics of life a false economy for most people since in fact, few people actually work the extra hours in lieu of taking care of these normal, every day tasks.  But, for each their own.....

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 05:47:27 PM »

Wrong attitude!  This is not badass at all.  This is the same mentality that allows so many people on here to justify their maids, gardeners, nannies, and chauffeurs.  This site really is about doing things yourself and that includes cooking and cleaning your own toilet.
I thought the point of this site was to make smarter decisions and be able to spend on things that matter to you.  I'm honestly a little fed up with so many people telling the rest of us how it should be done.  Everybody gets something out of this site or we wouldn't be here.  It's not a competition to be the most badass. (not to me anyway).

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 08:40:57 PM »
If you don't live your life exactly like me you are an idiot.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 09:39:22 PM »

That *only* really works if you LITERALLY spend every waking hour working or exercising (the only thing I'd put ahead of cooking).

If you are spending 10.5 hours a week for one person, you are doing it wrong.  Of course with practice, you can cook much more efficiently.  Cook one meal, eat it four or five times.  30 minutes to an hour and you have food for all your lunches and all your dinners.

I personally was shocked at the 47%!!  I remember being young and single and living in DC after my fiance moved away and before I learned to cook.  I easily spent hundreds a month (in the 90's) and ate more than 47% of my meals out.  But I was young and stupid!  I'm much better now.

The_Captain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • From Nothing to Something
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 10:31:13 PM »
Ouch, 11K a year is a bit excessive. I'll admit, eating out is me and my Fiancee's worst financial habit. We make lots of home cooked meals, but we also have a favourite Thai Food place and when we're seeing friends we usually go out instead of cooking because our kitchen is a bit cramped to make meals for more than 2 people. Between that and my family's fondness for dinners at steakhouses for birthdays our eating out habit cost us a little bit under $4K this year. The goal is to cut that back though, and I can't imagine spending more than that. At least I can take solace in the fact that when we eat out, it's generally really good food we can't make ourselves, like fresh sushi or steaks that I can never seem to match the quality of.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 12:01:21 PM »
Some people in this thread do not appear to know how to make good pizza at home.  :(

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 12:20:37 PM »

I thought the point of this site was to make smarter decisions and be able to spend on things that matter to you.  I'm honestly a little fed up with so many people telling the rest of us how it should be done.  Everybody gets something out of this site or we wouldn't be here.  It's not a competition to be the most badass. (not to me anyway).

And I'm a little fed up with all the people here who intentionally tell people that spending on stupid stuff is cool and missing some of the fundamental aspects of frugality and DIY.  "Oh, the message is all about me and how I interpret it."  No.  No, it's not really.  Going around saying spending on restaurants every day, expensive trucks, jetskis totally dilutes what the majority of us are here for.  ...It sends the wrong message for average person who is genuinely seeking FI and it's an overall pain in the ass.  The poster said, "if you don't value your time, its another story," which implies that all the rest of us who make our own meals are either stupid or our time is worthless.  So, that sentiment can go suck an egg.

No Name Guy --> 100% with ya!  I can make a healthy meal in under half an hour.  How long does it take to find a healthy restaurant, go in, place an order, wait for the food, eat, pay the bill, then drive home?  To do this quickly you need either fast food or takeout--both of which are usually the most unhealthy options out there. 

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 01:08:15 PM »

Here we go...

I'd say what I think about this but MMM has addressed this precise argument, and put it much better than I could:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/09/13/domestic-outsourcing-practical-or-wussypants/

If you’re a graphic designer who works at home, you might charge clients $100 per hour for your work. So why would you take a break to cut your own grass, which takes 40 minutes and “only” saves you $25?

It’s because you can’t productively do your graphic design job every day from 7AM until 11PM. If you try, you will burn out after some number of hours, then need to switch to a non-productive activity to recuperate. On the other hand, if you begin a day with pulling some weeds in your own garden, then crank out 7-8 hours of fantastically focused design work, then bike out to pick up your own groceries, and spend the evening cooking your own food, working on your own fitness program, cleaning your own dishes and reading library books and preparing for your next day of work, you have a routine that is free from outsourcing, free from unnecessary costs, yet so healthy and varied that you can do it forever without burning out. In other words, domestic “work” may pay less than your day job when measured by the hour, but after you measure the lifetime personal benefits and the overall savings in after-tax dollars added up over an entire week, you may be pleasantly surprised by the results.
The thing that speaks to me about this is really just this: learning to LIKE and enjoy home chores, such that they become relaxation for you.

It's something I struggle with.  I used to relax with crafts - quilting, crocheting, knitting.  That is really hard to do with children, so I switched to cooking - which is great, we have to eat, right?  Still hard to do with a toddler - so now most of the time it's NOT relaxing but still necessary - at least I'm good at it now.

The thing I *haven't* mastered yet is the art of relaxing while cleaning - but that also comes down to the number of hours in the day and will get easier as the kids get older and are no longer a net negative.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 01:27:21 PM »
...so I switched to cooking - which is great, we have to eat, right?  Still hard to do with a toddler - so now most of the time it's NOT relaxing but still necessary - at least I'm good at it now.

Very good point! I don't have kids, but from what I've seen of toddlers in my family, bundling them up into the car, taking them to a restaurant, asking what they want and then trying to get them to sit still before the food arrives is even *less* relaxing on the parents.  My sister would much rather be in the kitchen cutting and cooking than going through that craziness with her twins.  They have Friday delivery pizza night once a month though--and I think that's a fantastic idea.  Once a month doesn't break the bank and it really gives the kids something to look forward (and behave) toward.

I highly enjoy cooking after joining this site.  Getting home from work and then chopping innocent food up on a cutting board is somehow therapeutic. 

(But I also don't "like" cleaning and I'm getting sick of doing dishes and making the bed.  But it's my mess--and I'm not a prince.  If making one's own bed is beneath somebody, it's not a person I want to know.  Umm..  And I just remembered that Prince Will and Princess Kate do all their own cooking when at home.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:30:03 PM by Kaspian »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 02:27:29 PM »

Sure, maybe he shouldn't cook himself.  But he founded a 16,000 square foot co-working space.  They could easily set up a galley kitchen or a kind of omelette stand thing and bring in a cook to cook three meals a day for that kind of money.  He'd probably end up making money with all the busy tenants who could grab the meal of the day.

That or get a contract with a restaurant.  I realize variety is nice, but I could find a place with a decent variety menu, and if I'm spending $1800/mo at your restaurant I'm sure we could work out some kind of deal.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 02:47:01 PM »
11k a year is a ridiculous amount for anyone except a multimillionaire, but anyway isn't this one of those articles where some journalist has found an extreme case and written an article about it so we all can be terrified and maybe feel a bit better about our own sometimes silly spending?

As for myself I enjoy eating out occasionally. For various reasons - variety, travel, meeting of friends.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »
I felt like an moron today for spending $7.50 on a burger, fries, and drink and even worse using the drive thru. Totally wasteful. Then I read people saying they spend $20 a meal on delivery.

I still feel like a wasteful idiot, but if I spent $20 a meal I'd kick my own ass. 

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »
...so I switched to cooking - which is great, we have to eat, right?  Still hard to do with a toddler - so now most of the time it's NOT relaxing but still necessary - at least I'm good at it now.

Very good point! I don't have kids, but from what I've seen of toddlers in my family, bundling them up into the car, taking them to a restaurant, asking what they want and then trying to get them to sit still before the food arrives is even *less* relaxing on the parents.  My sister would much rather be in the kitchen cutting and cooking than going through that craziness with her twins.  They have Friday delivery pizza night once a month though--and I think that's a fantastic idea.  Once a month doesn't break the bank and it really gives the kids something to look forward (and behave) toward.

I highly enjoy cooking after joining this site.  Getting home from work and then chopping innocent food up on a cutting board is somehow therapeutic. 

(But I also don't "like" cleaning and I'm getting sick of doing dishes and making the bed.  But it's my mess--and I'm not a prince.  If making one's own bed is beneath somebody, it's not a person I want to know.  Umm..  And I just remembered that Prince Will and Princess Kate do all their own cooking when at home.)

Yep.  Eating out with toddlers is awful.  We simply did not do it at all with our older son from age 2 to 4.  Our younger son is now 2.5.  Very very occasionally we will go out to a casual outdoor place with a sand pit for him to play in.

Our "pizza night" is actually frozen pizza from Costco.  That was last night.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2014, 01:13:43 PM »
My niece (6) must be an exceptional kid. I've been with my sister or mother and her in a restaurant at least a dozen times since she was around 3 years old and it has never been somehow difficult except to find something she would eat when abroad and familiar food is not available.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2014, 02:46:22 PM »
I had to order food by delivery one night last week because I was too sick to cook and I felt so ashamed of wasting that money.  I have no idea how people can justify wasting 47% of their meals on takeout and restaurants.  That is insanity.  I bet these are the same people complaining about how hard it is to make ends meet.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2014, 02:19:45 PM »
If you don't live your life exactly like me you are an idiot.
Exactly!

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2014, 02:55:23 PM »
This made me facepalm:

“We have a customer who WunWuns Starbucks every day,” says the app’s founder, Lee Hnetinka. “The Starbucks is right below her building.”

Seriously, you're so fucking lazy you won't take the ELEVATOR down to Starbucks?
When venture capitalists are paying for it, why not?
http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/30/wunwun-the-service-for-on-demand-anything-rebrands-in-time-for-san-francisco-launch/
"While automatic may be better than on-demand, there’s something truly special about being able to type in exactly what you want, press a button, and have it delivered to your door for the exact same price as going to the store yourself."

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2014, 03:02:09 PM »
This made me facepalm:

When venture capitalists are paying for it, why not?
http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/30/wunwun-the-service-for-on-demand-anything-rebrands-in-time-for-san-francisco-launch/
"While automatic may be better than on-demand, there’s something truly special about being able to type in exactly what you want, press a button, and have it delivered to your door for the exact same price as going to the store yourself."

Why do they have such a stupid name?  It's truly terrible.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2014, 06:48:14 PM »
I"m pretty guilty of spending a lot on eating out. I get lunch out every day (a salad), although I am inspired by the mason jar salads so maybe I will start doing that. I have even started buying bfast out. I also go out to eat with my friends for dinner sometimes. I do, however, spend less than probably everyone else on groceries, so there's that? I try to cook one big batch of something and eat it for dinner most weeknights. If I don't do that, I just eat like crackers and hummus for dinner (that is the quintessential single nyc woman's dinner). I guess I deserve a face punch. Sigh. I did cut down this year over the previous one, but mostly because it was so cold last winter I couldn't really leave the apartment to go out to restaurants.

5pak

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2014, 07:34:37 AM »
That delivery man in the original article looks so despaired.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2014, 12:36:00 AM »
In NYC, delivery men ride bikes (some electric) and are often undocumented immigrants, since it's an easy job to do under the table (they're generally just paid in tips) and doesn't require much English, nor any equipment beyond a bike. They're generally far from home & work long hours biking in all kinds of weather conditions, so they're generally not the most cheerful bunch. One hopes they generally move to better positions after a few years, or save enough money to buy a big house in their home country.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
I laughed when I read the article.  It is good to occasionally take toddlers to a family style restaurant that does not take too long to serve so they learn how to behave in that type of situation.  For most of my life we did not eat out much but now that we are older we go once a week because it is something we really value & enjoy.  I would think that people that eat out constantly would have a weight problem because that food is usually so much more fattening then what you make at home.

clarkfan1979

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2014, 05:04:25 AM »
I thought my wife and I do pretty good about not eating out, but we still spend about $200 month. We do a happy hour at a high end restaurant about twice a month that totals $50/each trip. We each go out to lunch about once a week, which ends up being $12-13 each trip for each person.

If you calculate 2 people x 3 meals/day X 7 days X 4.5 weeks for a month = We have 189 meals a month total and eat out for 13 of them (13/189=6.87%) or eating at home 93.13%

Many of my city dwelling friends eat out more than 93% of the time. However they make 150K - 250K each and do not own cars.