Author Topic: $100k of Education  (Read 2279 times)

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
$100k of Education
« on: July 10, 2014, 08:40:34 PM »
Years ago, I had a roommate who, at the time, was just out of college; I was four years ahead of her.  I knew she'd graduated with honors from a well-known private university, done a great internship, had a little bit of professional work (which is how we met), and purchased the condo we were sharing.  However, when I moved in, she didn't have a career job, just a full-time waitressing gig at a bar.  She complained about the bar for months.  Finally, I snapped:

Chrissy:  If you hate it so much, why don't you just get a real job???

RM:  I have $100,000 worth of education, I'm not going begging for a job!

Chrissy:  You have $100,000 worth of education... that you're using to be a waitress.

RM:  (shocked silence)

That did the trick.  We worked on her resume together, she had lots of responses, and in short order had a job using her degree.  Today, she has a very successful career, and is paid in bags of gold.  She credits me for starting her on the right path.

Her parents were blue-collar immigrants, so she didn't understand how the professional world was supposed to work, and I know I should cut her some slack... but it's still one of the all-time stupidest things I've ever heard.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
Re: $100k of Education
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 08:42:39 AM »
I've never thought of education as a literal dollar value!  I would expect that that would motivate someone.  I guess that you needed to give her the perspective to do that!

Cinder

• Bristles
Re: $100k of Education
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 12:59:19 PM »
Bravo, amazing story!