Author Topic: $100 movie ticket...to see the same movie as many times as you want  (Read 7257 times)

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Apparently Regal Cinemas is offering a Wonder Woman Ultimate Ticket for $100.  Said ticket allows you to see the movie as much as you want during the duration of the film in theaters.

http://www.regmovies.com/wonderwomanultimateticket?utm_source=movie_target&utm_medium=email&utm_content=bollywood&utm_campaign=04-26-17

Is this something people would really buy?  And why????  A matinee ticket costs around $8-$10.  You would have to see the movie at least 10-12 times to even break even with the ticket price.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
Re: $100 movie ticket...to see the same movie as many times as you want
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 12:03:05 PM »
Oh, but it's not just the movie they're paying to see!  It's a "one-of-a-kind collectible!"  That makes it totally worth it even if you don't see the movie 10 times, right?

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 12:22:45 PM »
The funniest part is that the promotion is stated as operating between June 2 and December 2. No movie has a first run in theaters lasting six months.

In fact, anyone who buys this "ultimate ticket" is taking a gamble. What if the movie is a box office bomb and gets dropped in just a couple of weeks? I mean, even the most obsessed fan doesn't sit through the same movie over and over again in a compressed period of time, right?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 12:27:18 PM »
Recently I put together a Downtown Date Night Package for a Silent Auction item. It included donated gift cards for Smoothies, Pizza, Ice Cream, Movie Passes and a Parking Pass. I was shocked to discover that a full-fare movie costs $12.75! OMG, WTF!!!

Therefore, one would have to see this movie eight times just to break even, assuming full price entry times.

#nofuckingway

Ayanka

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 12:52:29 PM »
The only way you might ever break even if you go for the airconditioning in a warm place because you can't fix it or something like that. Otherwise, not worth it at all.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 02:00:15 PM »
You can only see the movie once per day.

This is one of the most ridiculous promotions ever. At the very least, it should include popcorn.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 07:16:50 PM »
I have a friend that would probably appreciate that as a gift if she didn't know the cost of it (for the collectible; not to see it a million times), but... wow. No.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »
Not to derail the thread. But an observation as a 2 decades old American immigrant: Americans are obsessed with collectibles. Fucking OCD on that shit. Any minimalist behavior is immediately attacked as anti-Capitalist.
'Murica, Yeah!

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 09:21:47 AM »
You know, this would have saved me some serious cash (at an inflation-adjusted price) when "Raiders of the Lost Ark" came out -- I think I saw that 19 times that summer.  :-)

Other than that, I can't think of one that even comes close.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 09:48:11 AM »
You know, this would have saved me some serious cash (at an inflation-adjusted price) when "Raiders of the Lost Ark" came out -- I think I saw that 19 times that summer.  :-)

I was in high school when Titanic was in theaters. Some of those high school girls spent their allowance/part time job money to see that movie every single weekend for MONTHS. I'm sure they would've loved one of these tickets. Probably would've actually saved them some money.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »
You could rent it to people for 1/2 price...  (But charge a deposit in case they don't return it.)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 10:44:33 AM »
You could rent it to people for 1/2 price...  (But charge a deposit in case they don't return it.)

You can't, actually.  It has your name printed on it and requires a photo ID to use.  They thought of that ;)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 12:11:01 PM »
Rather see the movie once for $10 and then buy the BluRay/DVD/Digital copy pack if necessary for a max of $24 or so.  Wait 3 weeks and it's $15. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 12:27:46 PM »

I was in high school when Titanic was in theaters. Some of those high school girls spent their allowance/part time job money to see that movie every single weekend for MONTHS. I'm sure they would've loved one of these tickets. Probably would've actually saved them some money.
It doesn't seem like movies stay in theaters for months anymore though

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 12:40:09 PM »
You know what would be soul-crushing? Getting one of these passes and having Wonder Woman run for months . . . but only at the non-Regal cinema across town. :)

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 03:56:27 AM »
$100, for three months rent, and someone who cleans up after you sounds like a good deal.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 04:23:54 AM »
$100, for three months rent, and someone who cleans up after you sounds like a good deal.
Huh?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 05:12:56 AM »
Huh?
Living in climate-controlled comfort at  a Regal Cinema?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 06:47:52 AM »
Huh?
Living in climate-controlled comfort at  a Regal Cinema?

For 3 hours a day. It isn't unlimited tickets. It's a single ticket each day.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 12:20:08 PM »
I see about 1 movie in the theater per year. I see that 1 movie 5+ times in theater, then I buy the dvd and watch it many times. I might break even with that ticket though, depending on the movie.

This year's - Star Wars Episode VIII. Last year's - Rogue One. Yes, I'm a geek.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 12:56:43 PM »
I would actually consider buying this for the type of movie that I want to encourage. Not for a summer blockbuster, but for something like "Hidden Figures", as a way to encourage big budget studios to make more movies like that. "Wonder Woman", not so much!

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 04:13:25 PM »
A matinee ticket costs around $8-$10. 

In which part of the world are you seeing matinee films? In Southern California, a full-price ticket is usually around $18 (add several dollars for 3d or IMAX), and I've never seen a matinee below $15.

I did pay $10 for a matinee in Northern California... in 1997.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 09:05:13 AM »

In which part of the world are you seeing matinee films? In Southern California, a full-price ticket is usually around $18 (add several dollars for 3d or IMAX), and I've never seen a matinee below $15.

Dang - that's pricey.  Maybe it's a west coast vs east coast thing?  You can see a matinee for around $10, depending on discounts, day of the week, etc.  Regular price tickets are I think up to $13 here.

gardeningandgreen

• Bristles
    • Gardening and Green
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 09:31:50 AM »

Dang - that's pricey.  Maybe it's a west coast vs east coast thing?  You can see a matinee for around $10, depending on discounts, day of the week, etc.  Regular price tickets are I think up to $13 here.

Move to the Midwest. We have $5 movies on Tuesdays and I think matinees are around $7 or $8(we only go to movies on Tuesdays.)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:55:14 AM by gardeningandgreen »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 10:55:07 AM »
Just checked. Matinee tickets here in flyover country is $7.50 or $5.50 if you are a senior.

That's on the same first run movies the rest of the country is watching and our theater is a nice new one.

$10.50 for prime time tickets unless you are a senior and it's still $5.50.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 01:17:46 PM »
Here in Germany you can buy a UCI Unlimited card (a local cinema chain) for 22.50€/month and then every movie is free, including all extra fees (3d, overtime, comfy chair option,...).

With ticket prices easily north of 10€, I consider this an mustachian investment ;)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 01:27:36 PM »
Here in Germany you can buy a UCI Unlimited card (a local cinema chain) for 22.50€/month and then every movie is free, including all extra fees (3d, overtime, comfy chair option,...).

With ticket prices easily north of 10€, I consider this an mustachian investment ;)

That's a great deal! There's a theater near me that's about $5.50 a movie but the quality isn't that great and I would be wiling to pay $25 (euro equivalence). I don't watch that many movies probably 3 a month, but could see myself upping that if I was on a monthly plan like this. I know a couple of friends that see a few movies a week that would jump at this even without 3d and other things being included.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 01:38:10 PM »

That's a great deal! There's a theater near me that's about $5.50 a movie but the quality isn't that great and I would be wiling to pay $25 (euro equivalence). I don't watch that many movies probably 3 a month, but could see myself upping that if I was on a monthly plan like this. I know a couple of friends that see a few movies a week that would jump at this even without 3d and other things being included.
Yeah, since I like super hero movies and Star Wars, it's pretty easy to get value from the card.
Also: I like to go to the cinema but I am cheap (or frugal, sounds better). Without the flatrate I would often decide to not watch a movie on the big screen, probably depriving myself from an experience I would enjoy.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 11:10:43 AM »

Yeah, since I like super hero movies and Star Wars, it's pretty easy to get value from the card.
Also: I like to go to the cinema but I am cheap (or frugal, sounds better). Without the flatrate I would often decide to not watch a movie on the big screen, probably depriving myself from an experience I would enjoy.

Yeah, or I could see myself getting it for Nov and December when the better quality movies are released. I like going to the movie theater because if I watch a TV at home I'm prone to get distracted or check my phone or talk to my friends, whereas in a theater I'm silent and focused on the movie. The only time I ever get popcorn is at a second run theater that has popcorn for around $3 and it is filled with real butter instead of the imitation crap.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 11:28:11 AM »
You could own a copy of the DVD for maybe $20, even if you buy a new copy when it first comes out. 

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2017, 12:38:03 AM »

Hi, that was me in the 7th grade. Titanic and puberty coincided (I'm still in love with Leo to this very day). I saw it 7 times in the theater for (I think) $7.50 a ticket. It was the most I've ever seen a single movie in theaters. I can't even recall the last time I saw a movie in theaters a second time. And now I only go to the theater if I have a gift card from credit card points.

I can't even imagine a movie I'd use this sort of ticket for.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 08:18:40 PM »
Wow. Tickets to Titanic cost me $3.25.  We went frequently.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2017, 08:17:52 AM »
I remember crying at the end of "Titanic" because it was five bucks and three hours I spent waiting to watch the annoying Leonardo DiCaprio character die, and those were resources I wouldn't get back.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »
I spent a big part of the movie thinking - I wouldn't be that guy, or that guy, or the other guy. I'd be trying to MacGyver my way out of dying.

nazar

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2017, 10:27:38 PM »
Having heard more than I care to about this from a gung-ho purchaser who can't wait to see this every day for what they hope will be weeks on end, I can assure you there is a market for this product.  I see this as something akin to Groundhog Day - but without the personal exploration and growth that transforms the protagonist into a more complete person, but that's just me.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2017, 08:26:40 AM »
Is your friend 10 years old? I could watch the same show over and over when I was a little kid. As an adult I have some favorite movies but its more like the annual viewing of the favorites rather than the nightly or weekly version. For example I'll probably watch the Firefly series again this winter when it gets dark early.