Author Topic: $100 for a swimsuit for a 3 year old  (Read 3401 times)

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
$100 for a swimsuit for a 3 year old
« on: October 01, 2017, 07:22:36 PM »
My spendthrift relative spent $100 on a swimsuit for her 3 year old daughter. Her husband found it, saw the price tag and made her to return it to the store.

End of story.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
Re: $100 for a swimsuit for a 3 year old
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 10:12:22 PM »
Yay!  A happy ending!
Except I doubt this is the end.

availablelight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 01:28:58 AM »
Yay!  A happy ending!

Or the beginning.

Also, how?  $100 sounds quite expensive for an adult.  How and where does this even exist for a 3 year old?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 04:32:40 AM »
Let me guess, it was wildly inappropriate, too?

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 06:49:36 AM »
Holy shit.

When our DD was born, a coworker of DH's -- a truly lovely older woman -- gave her a super-fancy dress, like something you'd see a Victorian doll in, with petticoats and lace and everything.  Except it was totally not anything that we'd ever put on our kid.  So we debated whether returning it would hurt her feelings, but decided that was the better option than leaving it untouched in her closet.

Imagine my surprise when we discovered it was a $150 dress.  I wouldn't buy my own kid a $150 dress, much less someone else's.  We got several useful (and IMO much cuter) outfits from the return, even at the "boutique" prices.

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 06:58:02 AM »
My friend took her daughter to swim team practice in a swimsuit that her cousin had given her because she didn't like it. The swim coach took one look and said "Holy Cow, where did you get that suit?" It was a $300 fancy "professional swimmer" suit. The girls are 12.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 12:14:10 PM »
My daughter was given a Gymboree outfit- I wish I had thought to return it sooner, as I got it when I was 3 months pregnant.
The components of the outfit easily added up to $200!  When I did go to return it I was told "we only return things in season".

I really hope the person managed to buy some of it on sale! 

The outfit was super precious, but for a 3 month old who couldn't sit up yet, a petticoated dress, with shrug sweater, hair clips (she doesn't have hair) and shoes- was a bit silly.  We put it on her for photos and she's laying on her belly, so you can't even see it...

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 01:35:05 PM »
Typical competitive suits for girls run in the 70-100 range.  'Swim fast' suits, also called shark-skin suits can run $250-$350 and usually are only good for 3-5 swims.  Our swim coach prohibits swimmers from wearing the swim-fast suits unless they are very near a cut-time and only at a qualifying meet.  I'm grateful for that.  Still, the regular team suits still cost a fortune.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 02:22:32 PM »
Yay!  A happy ending!

Or the beginning.

Also, how?  $100 sounds quite expensive for an adult.  How and where does this even exist for a 3 year old?

Well, probably Nordstrom's, Neiman Marcus or possibly one of those boutique, upscale stores. Not at Target, for sure.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
Typical competitive suits for girls run in the 70-100 range.  'Swim fast' suits, also called shark-skin suits can run $250-$350 and usually are only good for 3-5 swims.  Our swim coach prohibits swimmers from wearing the swim-fast suits unless they are very near a cut-time and only at a qualifying meet.  I'm grateful for that.  Still, the regular team suits still cost a fortune.

This is not a competitive swimsuit.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 02:24:01 PM »
My daughter was given a Gymboree outfit- I wish I had thought to return it sooner, as I got it when I was 3 months pregnant.
The components of the outfit easily added up to $200!  When I did go to return it I was told "we only return things in season".

I really hope the person managed to buy some of it on sale! 

The outfit was super precious, but for a 3 month old who couldn't sit up yet, a petticoated dress, with shrug sweater, hair clips (she doesn't have hair) and shoes- was a bit silly.  We put it on her for photos and she's laying on her belly, so you can't even see it...

It was probably bought on sale. Everything in Gymboree is "on sale" almost year round. The price on the tag is not the price it's sold at.