Author Topic: $100 bottle of wine  (Read 8131 times)

malacca

• Bristles
$100 bottle of wine
« on: August 03, 2020, 06:19:41 PM »
Sold a property that had tripled in price. I usually spend $10 a bottle but had actually downgraded to box wine during the pandemic.

Well, this property made enough for us to live well for 5 or 6 years. So I thought what the f..

By the River

• Bristles
Re: $100 bottle of wine
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 08:01:34 AM »
Sold a property that had tripled in price. I usually spend $10 a bottle but had actually downgraded to box wine during the pandemic.

Well, this property made enough for us to live well for 5 or 6 years. So I thought what the f..

Congrats on the sale and enjoy the wine!!

Stimpy

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 11:39:27 AM »

At MOST this deserves a face nudge.  Not a punch.    Now if you decide to do that every week... or idk, extravagant vacation it up.  That would be a punch!

Sometimes it's ok to splurge a little, just don't make it a habit!

So congrats on the sale and enjoy the extravagant wine!!

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 11:09:19 PM »
I'm curious: was the $100 wine noticeably better than the $10 wine?

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 01:36:25 AM »

+1

Admittedly, I don’t drink that much wine, but some of the best I’ve had was the table wine included with meals while walking across Spain... maybe it was the exercise. Also at little AirBNB we stayed at in Northern Italy. We asked our host where it came from and he pointed in the direction of his vineyards. 

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 10:47:11 PM »
Just don't get too used to it!  I try not to get my palette too refined.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 10:01:26 AM »
Well, how was it?

bloodaxe

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 10:27:12 AM »

I prefer the $2 Aldi wine over fancy wine on a vineyard.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 12:38:24 AM »
I had a father-in-law wine executive and professional wine judge who ordered a 100+ bottle of wine that I am sure was of excellent pedigree for the table during a lunch during a visit.  It tasted slightly better than the 2 buck chuck I stock.  Meh.  I’ll spend more on a good bottle of beer than a bottle of wine.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 06:25:33 AM »
Yeah, I don't feel like I'm missing out because I drink wines that cost less than this.

I was at the store the other day, and saw a man putting twelve identical bottles of something into his cart (otherwise empty). Concluded that it must be good, so I bought myself one. haven't tried it yet.

InvincibleChutzpah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 60% leanFI
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 07:39:15 AM »

As a big wine drinker and vineyard visitor, yes there is a big difference between $10 and $100. However there isn't a direct correlation between value and cost. A $35-$40 bottle can be just as good as a $100 bottle if it's from the right vineyard. One of my fav wines is Buena Vista's The Sheriff. It's about $40, depending on the year and easily one of the best red blends out there. I've had their $120/bottle red blend too. It IS better than The Sheriff, but not 3x better.

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 12:43:25 PM »

As a big wine drinker and vineyard visitor, yes there is a big difference between $10 and $100. However there isn't a direct correlation between value and cost. A $35-$40 bottle can be just as good as a $100 bottle if it's from the right vineyard. One of my fav wines is Buena Vista's The Sheriff. It's about $40, depending on the year and easily one of the best red blends out there. I've had their $120/bottle red blend too. It IS better than The Sheriff, but not 3x better.

My experience is that past a certain price point, whether a wine is a good fit for your personal palate matters a great deal more than how expensive/highly rated a wine is.  Bad wine is bad, but good wine is largely a matter of personal taste.  I mostly buy bottles in the $15-40 range.  I don't know that I've ever had a bottle north of $40(store, not restaurant pricing) that wowed me to the extent that I felt the expense was justified by the experience.

Some of the best wines I've ever had were found by going into wine shops in Italy and asking the owner what they'd recommend.  I got some pretty spectacular wines for 15-20 euros a bottle, most of which couldn't be purchased internationally.  I'd never feel the need to spend much more than that if I had access to that sort of selection.

On the other hand, really old Scotch was a much more memorable experience(for my palate, at least).  Not amazing enough to make a habit of buying $250+ bottles, but distinctive enough to be worth getting a glass at least once in a lifetime, if you like whiskey.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 12:46:55 PM by js82 »

exterous

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 06:45:00 PM »
Congratulations!

For our anniversary one year we decided to do a nice dinner at home and do some blind wine testing. My wife chose a $8 and $30 bottle of Pino grigio. I chose a $10 and $40 bottle of cabernet sauvignon. We gave each other glasses without telling each other which glass was filled with what wine to see if we could tell which was the more expensive wine. We could side by side but came to the conclusion that that if we didn't do it side by side we wouldn't notice or care so we stick with our $8-10 bottles of wine

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 09:20:10 PM »
What was it and was it worth it?

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 08:44:39 AM »
Like others said, just don't make it a habit.  I'm similarly guilty.  Last year I celebrated with a $200 bottle of Scotch.  I rarely buy alcohol at all due to the cost.  However, I'd heard good things and decided to go for it.  It was absolutely wonderful.  Worth every cent.  However, I won't rush to do it again due to the expense!

nirodha

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2020, 06:19:19 PM »
What Scotch? I'd like to taste something worth $200-$250 a bottle.

I've tried a couple in the $100-$150 range, an 18 year old highland park being the most recent. I was good, but far from worth the premium.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 10:14:08 AM »
With Scotch, don't trade barriers really amp up the price in the US? You could probably do really well traveling to the Isles and sampling a lot of things there.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2020, 12:04:17 PM »
With Scotch, don't trade barriers really amp up the price in the US? You could probably do really well traveling to the Isles and sampling a lot of things there.

On a per-bottle basis, is there a point where a plane ticket, hotel accommodations, and a quarantine on both ends will make sense? Say, maybe if you do the drinking during the Isles portion of the quarantine? There will still be a quarantine after arriving back home, but you'd need that anyway if the hangover is epic enough.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2020, 05:30:42 PM »
I visited Talisker and Oban a few years ago and bought a bottle of fancy scotch at both that I can't buy here. 100% worth it, experience was great and we are slowing drinking our way through them.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 01:57:41 AM »
As long as you don't buy a 100'000 dollar bottle at an auction just to find it out it was... way beyond it's date.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 10:42:20 AM »
I suddenly recall an episode of "Columbo" in which the killer--for you young ones, the murder is always shown on camera at the start in this show--was also a serious wine-taster. In order to perpetrate the murder, he'd cut the power to the wine cellar for two hours, but no one besides him had the palate that could detect any problem with the wines that had been in that cellar.

So Columbo arranges to serve him one of the wines under his usual false flag, getting the man first to openly admit that whatever was in the glass was "liquid filth", before Columbo reveals that it had been in that cellar, so clearly the power had been cut.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 10:45:13 AM »
I suddenly recall an episode of "Columbo" in which the killer--for you young ones, the murder is always shown on camera at the start in this show--was also a serious wine-taster. In order to perpetrate the murder, he'd cut the power to the wine cellar for two hours, but no one besides him had the palate that could detect any problem with the wines that had been in that cellar.

So Columbo arranges to serve him one of the wines under his usual false flag, getting the man first to openly admit that whatever was in the glass was "liquid filth", before Columbo reveals that it had been in that cellar, so clearly the power had been cut.
Ah! I understand.
Just one more question, Sir!
Why did you use the scissors to kill your wife?

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2020, 10:59:21 AM »
Not to take away from anyone thinking they can tell expensive from cheap wines but there are studies piling up that show even professional sommeliers are more influenced by label, color, and setting than the actual flavor of the wine.

I wouldn't use this to always buy "junk" wine, but I do my best to separate my own tastes from a price point. A $100 wine means nothing tangible to me compared to a $50 wine. Price is set by rarity or popularity, not actual taste profile. It doesn't cost that much more to make, age, bottle or ship, but is mostly marketing and price control to make it seem "better" (subjective quotes).

If you want to enjoy your wine more, controlling the setting seems to have more of an effect. Decant in a nice decanter so it seems pricey, play music that compliments the experience, and do anything else that relaxes you and puts you in a good mood.

"More evidence that wine-tasting is influenced by context was provided by a 2008 study from Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh. The team found that different music could boost tasters’ wine scores by 60%. Researchers discovered that a blast of Jimi Hendrix enhanced cabernet sauvignon while Kylie Minogue went well with chardonnay."

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2020, 05:45:26 PM »
Not to take away from anyone thinking they can tell expensive from cheap wines but there are studies piling up that show even professional sommeliers are more influenced by label, color, and setting than the actual flavor of the wine.

I wouldn't use this to always buy "junk" wine, but I do my best to separate my own tastes from a price point. A $100 wine means nothing tangible to me compared to a $50 wine. Price is set by rarity or popularity, not actual taste profile. It doesn't cost that much more to make, age, bottle or ship, but is mostly marketing and price control to make it seem "better" (subjective quotes).

If you want to enjoy your wine more, controlling the setting seems to have more of an effect. Decant in a nice decanter so it seems pricey, play music that compliments the experience, and do anything else that relaxes you and puts you in a good mood.

"More evidence that wine-tasting is influenced by context was provided by a 2008 study from Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh. The team found that different music could boost tasters’ wine scores by 60%. Researchers discovered that a blast of Jimi Hendrix enhanced cabernet sauvignon while Kylie Minogue went well with chardonnay."

Jimi Hendrix enhances pretty much anything.  Have my doubts about Kylie Minogue though.

Kylie Minogue enhances my life almost every day

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2020, 09:06:45 PM »
I bought a couple half-bottles for $48 each or so.

My dad said, "well I get ice wine for $7 (or whatever it was, it was under 10) and its good so you clearly overpaid."

Then he drank some and changed his mind.

You could get very drunk very easily on it. The whole "you don't taste the alcohol" is usually bs, but here I think it was more you didn't notice it.

Not that I normally buy expensive wine, (or even that I regularly buy wine at all) but I sure did enjoy the couple bottles of that ice wine bought.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2020, 09:27:17 PM »
In my limited experience, wines in the $30 range can be quite good and if you jump to the $50 -$100 range on average you will be disappointed that they aren’t much better.  When you get into the $150+ range it is more likely you will find them to be noticeably better (if you treat them properly and decant, etc) though still not proportionally better (not 5x as good as a good $30 bottle)

Its all very subjective of course, but for people who enjoy wine and enjoy tasting different wines i think theres plenty of really enjoyable wines in the $30 range and some great ones in the $16-$20 range even, but those require more effort to find and are generally the less “popular” regions of the moment. Be prepared to try a lot of “meh” or even “uh, beer please” wines in that range.  Supply and demand is definitely a big factor in wine pricing. 

For those who say its BS and no one can tell the difference, i cant really argue too much on that point other than to say that there are many things that some people enjoy at a different level than others, like art and music and food.  Its all subjective and if it is something that brings you joy and you can afford it (in a responsible sense, not the way most people mean it) and it isn't terribly bad for you then i say go for it.

eddiejoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2020, 04:26:29 PM »
I'm a $10 Costco bottle (which usually means they go for $15+ at the grocery store nearby) person,  but will spring for something in the $30-$50 range on a special occasion. It is a disappointment when you get an expensive bottle that doesn't suit your personal pallet, so when going big we stick to exactly what we like: Red and Bold.

My dad is not a wine drinker at all. He has one brand of cheap beer he likes and if he was at an open bar with all the finest alcohol in the world, he would maybe try an expensive whiskey, then proceed to drink his preferred light beer for the rest of the night. However, my grandpa passed a few years ago and in the process of cleaning his house, my dad and Step mom found a bottle of Champagne given to him by a former business partner. The bottle then sat in their house for the rest of the year until New Years Eve when they decided to drink it as the ball dropped. They toasted, thought the wine was amazing and finished the bottle. My dad was then talking for the rest of the month about the bottle and said they need to find another one. Lo and behold, it was a $500 dollar bottle. "Wow, that must have been an experience drinking such an expensive bottle" I told him after his retelling of the story. "Hell no!! If I knew what it was worth, I would have sold it" was the response.   

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2020, 08:16:08 PM »
Here is a very enjoyable article by Cal Fussman at esquire which is interesting both because of the subject and also because of the particular timing that changed the whole story.  Windows on the World restaurant was at the top of the World Trade Center and was destroyed before Fussman submitted his story, so he shares with us how huge an impact that had on him after he had spent so many months at that restaurant researching for his article.

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/a10890/windows-on-the-world-september-11/

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2020, 07:03:33 AM »

Jimi Hendrix enhances pretty much anything.  Have my doubts about Kylie Minogue though.

My cousin worked part time at a winery for years, a job that she left when she became pregnant. When I visited her for the naming ceremony of her son, we did indeed enjoy some wines she kept on hand and listen to "Electric LadyLand", which I happened to have on a CD in the car.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2020, 08:52:16 AM »
Congrats!

It is good to celebrate before we forget to!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2020, 11:01:24 AM »

My dad said, "well I get ice wine for $7 (or whatever it was, it was under 10) and its good so you clearly overpaid."

You could get very drunk very easily on it. The whole "you don't taste the alcohol" is usually bs, but here I think it was more you didn't notice it.

Not that I normally buy expensive wine, (or even that I regularly buy wine at all) but I sure did enjoy the couple bottles of that ice wine bought.
French person here.

What the fuck is a half bottle?
What the fuck is ice wine?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2020, 12:09:01 PM »
Ice wine is a dessert wine and delicious.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2020, 07:38:20 PM »

I had it once and it's very  good. It's from grapes that have frozen, correct?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2020, 01:17:15 AM »

I had it once and it's very  good. It's from grapes that have frozen, correct?
Yes. and I think this year there is no ice wine from Germany.
It has never frozen.

dividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2020, 09:52:21 AM »
Ice wine is made by allowing the grapes to remain on the vines until after the first frost before harvesting.  Letting them freeze shrinks the grapes and concentrates the sugars, resulting in a very sweet, syrupy wine.  It's wonderful with rich, fatty foods like pâtés or foie gras, or as a dessert wine, in the same way you might drink a port.  A decent brand like Inniskillin (used in nice restaurants) will cost $50-80 for a 375ml bottle around here.  It's not something you get drunk on, more like something you sip after dinner.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2020, 07:27:08 AM »
What Scotch? I'd like to taste something worth $200-$250 a bottle.

I've tried a couple in the $100-$150 range, an 18 year old highland park being the most recent. I was good, but far from worth the premium.

Johnnie Walker Blue Label.  It was 100% worth it!

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2020, 08:36:48 AM »
Johnnie Walker Blue Label.  It was 100% worth it!

Have you tried Green label?  I actually like it more.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2020, 04:48:57 AM »
Had a $60-70 bottle once at a company dinner.  It really was amazing.  I never tried to replicate the experience.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2020, 11:30:30 AM »
Had a $60-70 bottle once at a company dinner.  It really was amazing.  I never tried to replicate the experience.

+1. When wife's boss takes us for company holiday dinner, we end up ordering a couple of bottles of Joseph Cellars cabernet. Easily $250-300 per bottle.
Very smooth. https://www.josephcellars.com/shop

But I ain't paying for it from my wallet. Plus the restaurant's food and ambience makes a huge difference.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2020, 01:16:16 PM »

+1. When wife's boss takes us for company holiday dinner, we end up ordering a couple of bottles of Joseph Cellars cabernet. Easily $250-300 per bottle.
Very smooth. https://www.josephcellars.com/shop

But I ain't paying for it from my wallet. Plus the restaurant's food and ambience makes a huge difference.
It's a lot cheaper to put an expensive looking label on a bottle than buy an expensive wine. Hurray for psychology!

Rockne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2020, 08:36:44 AM »

Kylie Minogue is the only thing that enhanced the Pauly Shore movie "Bio-Dome"

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2020, 06:47:34 PM »
I had a father-in-law wine executive and professional wine judge who ordered a 100+ bottle of wine that I am sure was of excellent pedigree for the table during a lunch during a visit.  It tasted slightly better than the 2 buck chuck I stock.  Meh.  I’ll spend more on a good bottle of beer than a bottle of wine.

I'm paying more like $3.50 for MrsTX's bottles of wine - I'm mostly drinking from 1.75L handles of whiskey for $19.95.

My uncle did once order a nice (~$50ish) bottle of wine at dinner when we visited, it was nicer than the $3.50 wine - but not THAT much nicer.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2020, 06:53:38 PM »

On a per-bottle basis, is there a point where a plane ticket, hotel accommodations, and a quarantine on both ends will make sense? Say, maybe if you do the drinking during the Isles portion of the quarantine? There will still be a quarantine after arriving back home, but you'd need that anyway if the hangover is epic enough.

Presumably one wouldn't go for a single bottle, but for a tour of various distilleries and samples of their wares.

I do really want to visit the Bushmill's distillery one day. And perhaps spend the night.... ;)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2020, 07:39:49 PM »
French person here.

Hello French person. Shouldn't it be "Merde" instead of fuck?

I think your questions were answered, but just in case:

375mL

Wine fermented from grapes left on the vine  past ripe and thus with a higher brix (nominally until frozen on the vine) - and thus a higher alcohol content while still retaining residual sweetness. Commonly served as a dessert wine. Historically more of a German thing, but you can also find it in Luxembourg - and the biggest modern producer is Canada.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2020, 08:57:44 AM »
French person here.

375mL

Wine fermented from grapes left on the vine  past ripe and thus with a higher brix (nominally until frozen on the vine) - and thus a higher alcohol content while still retaining residual sweetness. Commonly served as a dessert wine. Historically more of a German thing, but you can also find it in Luxembourg - and the biggest modern producer is Canada.

The noun "merde" only applies if the wine is bad. The direct translation for "merde" is "crap" or perhaps "shit". To express "fuck" in a less sexual context where "baiser" is not reasonable, one wants the verb "foutre" which may be conjugated (tee hee) in various ways.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2020, 11:06:28 AM »
French person here.

It's produced in France (vin de glace?), among other places. However, with climate change, I'm not sure for how long.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 11:13:47 AM by PDXTabs »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2020, 11:25:43 AM »
I have read the articles about it being difficult to tell the difference between wines of different vintage. It is prob easier to tell a good wine from a bad wine. It is harder to identify location, as well as ordering the dominant notes. my dad I bet he would have done well with those tests. He was good at knowing good wines from bad wines. He worked in restaurants pretty much his whole life, including both working at and owning restaurants, and being the wine buyer for his and other restaurants. Again it was his interest and spent alot of time tasting over the years, and actually made some good bets buying underrated wines that appreciated in value. Basically he was the real deal. He's passed away but one of the fun things would be is him picking out a bottle (sometimes 2) to go with the meal, having us drink and discuss it. In his later years he would pick unusual varietals or locations (which now I can't remember) and talking about areas like south america, australia, even oregon how they should be able to create good wines based on the climate etc. For example 20 years ago he introduced pinot grigio and vino verhde in his restaurant during summer months before it became popular.  Myself I knew what tasted good or less good. For me that's all that matters. I prefer wines in the 12-20 range but usually buy ones in the 6-11 range. My dad bought for himself in the 12-25 range. Though a couple times he shared a more expensive bottle with me that were memorable. The champagne was amazing, actually kind of buttery, with a very fine bubble almost making it a creamy fizzy sensation. The white wine was simply, unusual. Very hard to describe but it was almost like drinking a liquor that was the essence of wine but wasn't wine because you could barely taste the alcohol.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 11:41:10 AM by partgypsy »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2020, 12:39:49 PM »
French person here.

375mL

The noun "merde" only applies if the wine is bad. The direct translation for "merde" is "crap" or perhaps "shit". To express "fuck" in a less sexual context where "baiser" is not reasonable, one wants the verb "foutre" which may be conjugated (tee hee) in various ways.

C'est quoi ces conneries?

While I am much better at Quecebois swearing (just name anything found in a church and, there you go, you just made a swear), I know enough European French vulgarity to offend people there with more than just my horrible accent. 

It's not typical in French to use any direct translation for "fuck" to express "what the fuck."

"Baiser" is just, when used as a verb, the vulgar word for doing the deed (though oddly, as a noun, it just means a kiss, not vulgar at all.)  "Foutre" is more commonly used in expressions expressing hostility, like "f-off" or "go f yourself."  ("Fous le camp."  "Va te faire foutre."). 

The more normal words to use that translate to "fuck" in English when used in a general all-purpose nonsexual sense are usually "putain" and "bordel".   They literally mean "whore" and "brothel" respectively, but they are used comparably to the general purpose English f-word and considered comparably vulgar.

They are usually added at the end, or used at the beginning of an expression, not in the middle the way we place the f-word en anglais.   

"What the fuck is a half bottle?" might be said as "Une demi-bouteille?   Putain, c'est quoi ce bordel?"

I'm sure the original poster can further and better clarify how to say this in the most offensive and grammatically correct ways possible, as approved by l'Academie française.

Agreed with "baiser", however it makes for a hilarious double entendre. The film version of Cyrano de Bergerac with the balcony scene comes to mind.

The use of "fuck" to express shock is definitely an English thing. There's always the vulgarism "je m'en fous" which roughly translates to not giving a fuck. "Putain" is a prostitute, not to be confused with "poutine" which is not vulgar but artery-clogging. In some places you might have to be careful which you ask for. A "bordel" is the sort of place where one might find a putain but probably not a poutine, unless it's a very small town where everyone multi-tasks.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2020, 01:17:46 PM »

French person here.

Monsieur, I read that in a French accent. But I did not feel offended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qQCv_lgYx8

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2020, 01:40:34 PM »
French person here.

375mL

C'est quoi ces conneries?

While I am much better at Quecebois swearing (just name anything found in a church and, there you go, you just made a swear), I know enough European French vulgarity to offend people there with more than just my horrible accent. 

It's not typical in French to use any direct translation for "fuck" to express "what the fuck."

"Baiser" is just, when used as a verb, the vulgar word for doing the deed (though oddly, as a noun, it just means a kiss, not vulgar at all.)  "Foutre" is more commonly used in expressions expressing hostility, like "f-off" or "go f yourself."  ("Fous le camp."  "Va te faire foutre."). 

The more normal words to use that translate to "fuck" in English when used in a general all-purpose nonsexual sense are usually "putain" and "bordel".   They literally mean "whore" and "brothel" respectively, but they are used comparably to the general purpose English f-word and considered comparably vulgar.

They are usually added at the end, or used at the beginning of an expression, not in the middle the way we place the f-word en anglais.   

"What the fuck is a half bottle?" might be said as "Une demi-bouteille?   Putain, c'est quoi ce bordel?"

I'm sure the original poster can further and better clarify how to say this in the most offensive and grammatically correct ways possible, as approved by l'Academie française.

Agreed with "baiser", however it makes for a hilarious double entendre. The film version of Cyrano de Bergerac with the balcony scene comes to mind.

The use of "fuck" to express shock is definitely an English thing. There's always the vulgarism "je m'en fous" which roughly translates to not giving a fuck. "Putain" is a prostitute, not to be confused with "poutine" which is not vulgar but artery-clogging. In some places you might have to be careful which you ask for. A "bordel" is the sort of place where one might find a putain but probably not a poutine, unless it's a very small town where everyone multi-tasks.

Not to be confused with the president of Russia, who is called in French, even in Canada, "Vladimir Poutine" (and not pronounced the way we pronounce Putin in English since that sounds too much like "putain" ... no matter how much he deserves it.)

French swearing is very complicated, the same word can be incredibly rude or not rude at all depending on how it is used.   I don't think I've ever had the courage to use "baiser" in its innocent sense for fear of an unfortunate error (I stick with "bisou".)

But yeah, vulgarisms seldom make any literal sense anyway, and seldom translate literally.   By the way, in Quebec it's "je m'en calisse" which literally translates to "I do not chalice myself of it."   Go figure.

Also oddly "poutine" actually means "a mess", which is another meaning of the word "bordel" (a use which is generally not considered vulgar), and so the word "poutine" is used as a synonym for "bordel" in its innocent sense just as "putain" is a rough synonym for "bordel" in its vulgar sense.   Go figure.

Last time Vlad was "elected" it led to a whole bunch of Rasputin puns because the Russians were going to have "yescho rass Putin" which sounds like "yescho Rasputin" or even "yescho rass poutine". The word "yescho" (I'm trying to use a Latin alphabet to spell out the Cyrillic) means "more" or "another" and "rass" means "time", so "yescho rass" means "one more time". So it was Rasputin again (the impossible-to-kill con artist) or another serving of messy poutine.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!