Author Topic: $100 bottle of wine  (Read 5292 times)

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
Re: $100 bottle of wine
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2020, 11:25:43 AM »
I have read the articles about it being difficult to tell the difference between wines of different vintage. It is prob easier to tell a good wine from a bad wine. It is harder to identify location, as well as ordering the dominant notes. my dad I bet he would have done well with those tests. He was good at knowing good wines from bad wines. He worked in restaurants pretty much his whole life, including both working at and owning restaurants, and being the wine buyer for his and other restaurants. Again it was his interest and spent alot of time tasting over the years, and actually made some good bets buying underrated wines that appreciated in value. Basically he was the real deal. He's passed away but one of the fun things would be is him picking out a bottle (sometimes 2) to go with the meal, having us drink and discuss it. In his later years he would pick unusual varietals or locations (which now I can't remember) and talking about areas like south america, australia, even oregon how they should be able to create good wines based on the climate etc. For example 20 years ago he introduced pinot grigio and vino verhde in his restaurant during summer months before it became popular.  Myself I knew what tasted good or less good. For me that's all that matters. I prefer wines in the 12-20 range but usually buy ones in the 6-11 range. My dad bought for himself in the 12-25 range. Though a couple times he shared a more expensive bottle with me that were memorable. The champagne was amazing, actually kind of buttery, with a very fine bubble almost making it a creamy fizzy sensation. The white wine was simply, unusual. Very hard to describe but it was almost like drinking a liquor that was the essence of wine but wasn't wine because you could barely taste the alcohol.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 11:41:10 AM by partgypsy »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2020, 12:39:49 PM »
French person here.

What the fuck is a half bottle?
What the fuck is ice wine?

Hello French person. Shouldn't it be "Merde" instead of fuck?

I think your questions were answered, but just in case:

375mL

Wine fermented from grapes left on the vine  past ripe and thus with a higher brix (nominally until frozen on the vine) - and thus a higher alcohol content while still retaining residual sweetness. Commonly served as a dessert wine. Historically more of a German thing, but you can also find it in Luxembourg - and the biggest modern producer is Canada.

The noun "merde" only applies if the wine is bad. The direct translation for "merde" is "crap" or perhaps "shit". To express "fuck" in a less sexual context where "baiser" is not reasonable, one wants the verb "foutre" which may be conjugated (tee hee) in various ways.

C'est quoi ces conneries?

While I am much better at Quecebois swearing (just name anything found in a church and, there you go, you just made a swear), I know enough European French vulgarity to offend people there with more than just my horrible accent. 

It's not typical in French to use any direct translation for "fuck" to express "what the fuck."

"Baiser" is just, when used as a verb, the vulgar word for doing the deed (though oddly, as a noun, it just means a kiss, not vulgar at all.)  "Foutre" is more commonly used in expressions expressing hostility, like "f-off" or "go f yourself."  ("Fous le camp."  "Va te faire foutre."). 

The more normal words to use that translate to "fuck" in English when used in a general all-purpose nonsexual sense are usually "putain" and "bordel".   They literally mean "whore" and "brothel" respectively, but they are used comparably to the general purpose English f-word and considered comparably vulgar.

They are usually added at the end, or used at the beginning of an expression, not in the middle the way we place the f-word en anglais.   

"What the fuck is a half bottle?" might be said as "Une demi-bouteille?   Putain, c'est quoi ce bordel?"

I'm sure the original poster can further and better clarify how to say this in the most offensive and grammatically correct ways possible, as approved by l'Academie franšaise.

Agreed with "baiser", however it makes for a hilarious double entendre. The film version of Cyrano de Bergerac with the balcony scene comes to mind.

The use of "fuck" to express shock is definitely an English thing. There's always the vulgarism "je m'en fous" which roughly translates to not giving a fuck. "Putain" is a prostitute, not to be confused with "poutine" which is not vulgar but artery-clogging. In some places you might have to be careful which you ask for. A "bordel" is the sort of place where one might find a putain but probably not a poutine, unless it's a very small town where everyone multi-tasks.

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2020, 01:17:46 PM »
I bought a couple half-bottles for $48 each or so.

My dad said, "well I get ice wine for $7 (or whatever it was, it was under 10) and its good so you clearly overpaid."

Then he drank some and changed his mind.

You could get very drunk very easily on it. The whole "you don't taste the alcohol" is usually bs, but here I think it was more you didn't notice it.

Not that I normally buy expensive wine, (or even that I regularly buy wine at all) but I sure did enjoy the couple bottles of that ice wine bought.
French person here.

Monsieur, I read that in a French accent. But I did not feel offended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qQCv_lgYx8

Ockhamist

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2020, 01:33:07 PM »
French person here.

375mL

Wine fermented from grapes left on the vine  past ripe and thus with a higher brix (nominally until frozen on the vine) - and thus a higher alcohol content while still retaining residual sweetness. Commonly served as a dessert wine. Historically more of a German thing, but you can also find it in Luxembourg - and the biggest modern producer is Canada.

The noun "merde" only applies if the wine is bad. The direct translation for "merde" is "crap" or perhaps "shit". To express "fuck" in a less sexual context where "baiser" is not reasonable, one wants the verb "foutre" which may be conjugated (tee hee) in various ways.

While I am much better at Quecebois swearing (just name anything found in a church and, there you go, you just made a swear), I know enough European French vulgarity to offend people there with more than just my horrible accent. 

It's not typical in French to use any direct translation for "fuck" to express "what the fuck."

"Baiser" is just, when used as a verb, the vulgar word for doing the deed (though oddly, as a noun, it just means a kiss, not vulgar at all.)  "Foutre" is more commonly used in expressions expressing hostility, like "f-off" or "go f yourself."  ("Fous le camp."  "Va te faire foutre."). 

The more normal words to use that translate to "fuck" in English when used in a general all-purpose nonsexual sense are usually "putain" and "bordel".   They literally mean "whore" and "brothel" respectively, but they are used comparably to the general purpose English f-word and considered comparably vulgar.

They are usually added at the end, or used at the beginning of an expression, not in the middle the way we place the f-word en anglais.   

"What the fuck is a half bottle?" might be said as "Une demi-bouteille?   Putain, c'est quoi ce bordel?"

I'm sure the original poster can further and better clarify how to say this in the most offensive and grammatically correct ways possible, as approved by l'Academie franšaise.

Agreed with "baiser", however it makes for a hilarious double entendre. The film version of Cyrano de Bergerac with the balcony scene comes to mind.

The use of "fuck" to express shock is definitely an English thing. There's always the vulgarism "je m'en fous" which roughly translates to not giving a fuck. "Putain" is a prostitute, not to be confused with "poutine" which is not vulgar but artery-clogging. In some places you might have to be careful which you ask for. A "bordel" is the sort of place where one might find a putain but probably not a poutine, unless it's a very small town where everyone multi-tasks.

Not to be confused with the president of Russia, who is called in French, even in Canada, "Vladimir Poutine" (and not pronounced the way we pronounce Putin in English since that sounds too much like "putain" ... no matter how much he deserves it.)

French swearing is very complicated, the same word can be incredibly rude or not rude at all depending on how it is used.   I don't think I've ever had the courage to use "baiser" in its innocent sense for fear of an unfortunate error (I stick with "bisou".)

But yeah, vulgarisms seldom make any literal sense anyway, and seldom translate literally.   By the way, in Quebec it's "je m'en calisse" which literally translates to "I do not chalice myself of it."   Go figure.

Also oddly "poutine" actually means "a mess", which is another meaning of the word "bordel" (a use which is generally not considered vulgar), and so the word "poutine" is used as a synonym for "bordel" in its innocent sense just as "putain" is a rough synonym for "bordel" in its vulgar sense.   Go figure.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2020, 01:40:34 PM »
French person here.

375mL

Not to be confused with the president of Russia, who is called in French, even in Canada, "Vladimir Poutine" (and not pronounced the way we pronounce Putin in English since that sounds too much like "putain" ... no matter how much he deserves it.)

French swearing is very complicated, the same word can be incredibly rude or not rude at all depending on how it is used.   I don't think I've ever had the courage to use "baiser" in its innocent sense for fear of an unfortunate error (I stick with "bisou".)

But yeah, vulgarisms seldom make any literal sense anyway, and seldom translate literally.   By the way, in Quebec it's "je m'en calisse" which literally translates to "I do not chalice myself of it."   Go figure.

Also oddly "poutine" actually means "a mess", which is another meaning of the word "bordel" (a use which is generally not considered vulgar), and so the word "poutine" is used as a synonym for "bordel" in its innocent sense just as "putain" is a rough synonym for "bordel" in its vulgar sense.   Go figure.

Last time Vlad was "elected" it led to a whole bunch of Rasputin puns because the Russians were going to have "yescho rass Putin" which sounds like "yescho Rasputin" or even "yescho rass poutine". The word "yescho" (I'm trying to use a Latin alphabet to spell out the Cyrillic) means "more" or "another" and "rass" means "time", so "yescho rass" means "one more time". So it was Rasputin again (the impossible-to-kill con artist) or another serving of messy poutine.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2020, 03:54:28 AM »
French person here.

It's produced in France (vin de glace?), among other places. However, with climate change, I'm not sure for how long.
I don't know about France, but Germany didn't have ice wine this year for lack of icy weather.