Author Topic: $10 coffee  (Read 8698 times)

FINate

• Magnum Stache
$10 coffee
« on: December 06, 2016, 10:24:37 PM »
No, not per pound. $10 per cup!!

Starbucks courts millennials with $10 coffee at new Reserve bars It's 'reserve' so I guess it must be really good?

And to think that people lost their minds over $4 toast...but this is fine.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
Re: $10 coffee
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 03:26:39 AM »
$14 for toast and cup of coffee? Where do I sign up?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 03:31:31 AM »
I really need to be seen at reserve coffee bars, writing my romance novels.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 07:43:11 AM »
That is what my coffee maker and coffee beans cost new...

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:12:57 AM »
gosh, maybe SBUX is still a buy?

I've day-dreamed about an idea in which I use dividends from SBUX to pay for my coffee from there.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 10:53:34 AM »
Thanks for this topic as it presents me the opportunity to say that it has been a year since I've paid for a cup of coffee!

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 11:09:42 AM »
Geez. I'm not a coffee drinker, but at that price I'd rather buy a small bag of 100% Hawaii-grown Kona coffee. That's expensive too, but at least you can get multiple cups out of it, and each cup is less than $10. -_-

exotic, small-lot coffees that can cost $50 per 8-ounce bag

Yeah. You can buy 100% Kona 8oz bags for $20. Maybe slightly more if you want fancy flavors like white chocolate macadamia nut.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:11:58 AM by redbird »

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 12:06:05 PM »
Just ran the numbers - whole bean Columbian coffee from Costco cost me $0.18 per cup, plus a few extra cents for cream+sugar. My wife and I drink 2 cups/day, so our caffeine habit is about $1/day. I've had better coffee, but to me it's not worth it to pay extra for slightly better coffee - though happy to receive small bags of fancy coffee as gifts :)

So I know I'm preaching to the choir here but can't help myself. Since this is marketed at millennials let's assume a 25yo, perhaps a young professional making enough that they can "afford" fancy coffee, decides to buy a $10 cup every day. If they instead invested that $3650/year then by my computations they'd accumulate over $720k by age 65 assuming 7% annual return. And if they plan on continuing their fancy coffee habit into retirement, with the 4% rule-of-thumb they would need to save an additional $91k to fund their $10/day coffee habit in perpetuity. It's so ridiculous that one could, by way of opportunity cost, spend over $800k on coffee - more than ridiculous, it's grotesque. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 12:15:26 PM »
I think of this often as I pour myself a cup of coffee at home or at work.  I didn't start drinking coffee until 40.  But I remember being a kid, and my parents making actual coffee at home, and packing actual lunches every day, because that's what you did.  It's what everyone did.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 12:27:36 PM »
I thought $10 coffee meant a bag of coffee.
For the price of 5 Reserve coffees, plus tax, I could buy a 5 lb bag of damn good coffee beans from anywhere in the world. http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/coffee.html.
Any Kenyan/Ethiopian/Indian/Indonesian coffee is fine by me. Waaay better than fucking Pike's Place shite. And I mean real coffee, not that flavored shite.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 12:54:36 PM »
Confession: I've bought fancy pants limited edition beans at the Reserve store here in Seattle. (I can walk there from work).

It was a gift... I spent $50, it was for my Mom, and that's all I got her.

I smelled and looked like regular coffee to me from what I could tell. This is kinda like the $20 bottle or wine vs the $200 bottle.... only a small % of people could ever tell the difference and I am NOT one of them.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »
I think of this often as I pour myself a cup of coffee at home or at work.  I didn't start drinking coffee until 40.  But I remember being a kid, and my parents making actual coffee at home, and packing actual lunches every day, because that's what you did.  It's what everyone did.

I often have this same thought as I walk into my office with my coffee and food from home and somehow feel like the oddball.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 01:06:14 PM »
Here's the thing--if you have the best coffee multiple times every single day it stops tasting as good.  Since becoming Mustachian, I make instant and work and use the cheap stuff at home.  Now when I do go out to a shop for coffee, it tastes really good because I'm not used to it.  It is a genuine luxury and feels as such.  ...Just wonder if these expensive coffee fanatics who have to have it a certain way, do they eat the same expensive, rich, fatty thing for dinner every night too?  Yes, I love pizza.  I'll probably never get bored of it.  Eat it every day?  I probably could but it seems like a stupid idea and it'd dumb down the taste experience. 

lightmyfire

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 04:23:20 PM »
I hate Starbucks for a number of reasons, this kind of ridiculousness being one of them. That said, I do see the point of coffeeshop coffee on occasion, I just prefer a local place with personality. I make super cheap French press coffee every weekday, but on weekends I do splurge for a $2-$3 cup at a local shop. I use the time to read/write/people watch, and consider it an excellent return on entertainment spending. If I was getting it to go I totally agree, waste of money. It takes me literally 5 minutes to make a thermos of coffee at home, and likely costs about 12c a cup (I am not particular about my grounds).

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 07:03:46 PM »
When I was growing up, my dad would get up early and start chain-smoking and pounding coffee. To this day I can't stand the smell of either.

I'm 47 years old.

Lifetime amount spent on coffee:

$0.00

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 06:36:33 AM »
Here's the thing--if you have the best coffee multiple times every single day it stops tasting as good.  Since becoming Mustachian, I make instant and work and use the cheap stuff at home.  Now when I do go out to a shop for coffee, it tastes really good because I'm not used to it.  It is a genuine luxury and feels as such.  ...Just wonder if these expensive coffee fanatics who have to have it a certain way, do they eat the same expensive, rich, fatty thing for dinner every night too?  Yes, I love pizza.  I'll probably never get bored of it.  Eat it every day?  I probably could but it seems like a stupid idea and it'd dumb down the taste experience.
You can have extremely good coffee for pennies per cup if you brew it yourself. My backup instants are imported too (from my overseas travels), as instant coffee sold in supermarkets here is pure yucks.

I agree with the entertainment aspect of sitting in a coffee shop. A nearby local independent has board games and books for patrons. And comfy sofas, some people spend 3 hours there.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 07:35:15 AM »
Ugh, as a former Starbucks drinker, I cringe reading this.... Sad part is its not that much more expensive than their typical lattes ($6)

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 08:39:42 AM »
I was waiting from my oldest kid to get out of a lesson one day and decided to head to the coffee place around the corner and grab a cup to go with my 3 year old in tow.  It was actually a fancy-pants coffee BAR packed with millenials and hipsters reviewing little clipboards.  I lost count of the dirty looks I received.

bgsnyder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 11:08:08 AM »
Heard this on the radio today. Crazy! A cup of coffee for almost what I spend on a 5 pounds of beans. I usually make a pot of coffee a day, and If i want a special treat on the weekend, I spend the extra time and make a cup with my fancy pants espresso machine I got used off Craigslist for $10.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 11:24:33 AM »
I find myself glad to not be a coffee person. I've tried but I just can't get into it. I love tea and am thankful that I can make a perfectly good cup for not a whole lot.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
To be fair to the coffee drinkers out there (ok I'm defending myself :) ), a perfectly good cup of coffee can be made for very little - decent beans (not flavored or stale), good coffee maker or inexpensive pour over - should run less than $0.50 per cup. Like wine, cigars, and so much else, I would be surprised if most people can even tell the difference between a $10 vs. $0.50 per cup of coffee in a blind taste test.

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 03:14:59 PM »
To be fair to the coffee drinkers out there (ok I'm defending myself :) ), a perfectly good cup of coffee can be made for very little - decent beans (not flavored or stale), good coffee maker or inexpensive pour over - should run less than $0.50 per cup. Like wine, cigars, and so much else, I would be surprised if most people can even tell the difference between a $10 vs. $0.50 per cup of coffee in a blind taste test.

No kidding!

I typically prefer what I make at home to Starbucks - mine's at least more consistent. I don't go often, but when I do (usually for work), every once in a while the Starbucks coffee is really bitter. Maybe the $10/cup coffee is far superior, but I'll take my chances XD

I tend to get 1/2 lb of beans that were roasted locally for $4 at the grocery store - lasts for months! I'll have to weigh out how much I use per cup to see the per cup cost. :)

SJS

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 07:25:34 AM »
I'm totally content with my Keurig Dunkin Donuts coffee (which to me, is a bit on the pricey side to buy the pods, but I always get them on sale).  $10 a cup is ridiculous.  I am always baffled by the long line of people at Starbucks, wondering "how much debt do they have?  Do they have anything saved for retirement?" 
Retired at 54 & with a net worth in the mid-7 figures, I treat myself to a Starbucks seasonal flavor MAYBE twice a year. 

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 09:29:50 AM »
I've found that well executed third wave drinks (espresso + steamed milk) are really nice, but they always seem to cost $4-6 which is crazy when I can drink 1-3 per day.

I make them for $0.40-0.60 in consumables, or maybe $1.00-2.00 with equipment amortization (depending on how long the machines last).

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 09:49:14 AM »
I've grown rather fond of the free coffee at work...

But seriously, I have yet to find a better value than buying the beans at Costco in bulk.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 08:22:52 PM »
I've found that well executed third wave drinks (espresso + steamed milk) are really nice, but they always seem to cost $4-6 which is crazy when I can drink 1-3 per day.

I make them for $0.40-0.60 in consumables, or maybe $1.00-2.00 with equipment amortization (depending on how long the machines last).

By my estimates, I'm about four months shy of making my 10,000th espresso drink on my La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi II. It was quite expensive, but other than about $50 worth of brewing group gaskets and $20 in de-scaling agent and espresso machine cleaner, I haven't had any maintenance/repair costs.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 10:43:54 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

If you want to go cheap I recommend these. Mine is approaching 30 years old. Gave it new gaskets once along the way.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2016, 03:12:11 AM »
I've grown rather fond of the free coffee at work...

Free is the best price for coffee.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2016, 07:12:06 AM »
This thread was a good reminder for me to go back through my grocery budget spreadsheet to find when holiday flavors went on sale at my local store. Last year I got 12 bags of coffee for less than a dollar apiece. The fancy reserve crowd can mock me, but that ten dollars they're spending for one drink is lasting me a good portion of the year, and I am enjoying my early retirement!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2016, 07:15:10 AM »
This thread was a good reminder for me to go back through my grocery budget spreadsheet to find when holiday flavors went on sale at my local store. Last year I got 12 bags of coffee for less than a dollar apiece. The fancy reserve crowd can mock me, but that ten dollars they're spending for one drink is lasting me a good portion of the year, and I am enjoying my early retirement!

I will gladly pay more to avoid flavored coffee....

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2016, 08:44:32 AM »
I'm now thinking about what qualities a coffee would need to have for me to spend $10 on it. For a start it would include a reusable cup with a proper non-leaking lid and a giant slice of cake.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2016, 11:26:29 AM »
I will gladly pay more to avoid flavored coffee....
Understandable, no point in buying something in a deal if you don't like it!

Luckily, I'm a heathen who doesn't mind peppermint or cinnamon flavor in my coffee. :)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2016, 05:26:14 PM »

By my estimates, I'm about four months shy of making my 10,000th espresso drink on my La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi II. It was quite expensive, but other than about $50 worth of brewing group gaskets and $20 in de-scaling agent and espresso machine cleaner, I haven't had any maintenance/repair costs.

My base model Breville is starting to break down. Given how long we've had it, and how many lattes we've made, the cost for equipment breaks down to less than 5 cents per latte. Which, yknow... im ok with paying that.

Winter morning: long flannel nightgown, latte in a pretty mug (maybe with a dusting of cinnamon), fireplace crackling, maybe a nice toasted English muffin with blueberry jam...

Summer morning: porch, sunflowers, latte and blueberry muffins, boats on the lake, sheep baaa-ing the field...

Yknow, I can think of worst ways to spend 50 cents. ;)

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2016, 06:06:51 PM »
I'm skeptical millenials will be the primary purchaser of this drink.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2016, 01:28:32 AM »
I'm skeptical millenials will be the primary purchaser of this drink.

That's what credit cards are for!!!!!