Author Topic: $1,635.93 Uber ride  (Read 3812 times)

alanB

• Stubble
$1,635.93 Uber ride
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:31:34 AM »
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/02/1600_dollar_uber_ride_story.html

The whole article is ridiculous, I love the opening line:
Just about everyone has taken a drunken late-night Uber ride they might regret, or not even remember.

I really hope not...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
Re: $1,635.93 Uber ride
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 08:49:38 AM »
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/02/1600_dollar_uber_ride_story.html

Just about everyone has taken a drunken late-night Uber ride they might regret, or not even remember.

I really hope not...

There is a club subculture that thinks it's normal; bars couldn't stay in business otherwise.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 10:01:56 AM »

I really hope not...

There is a club subculture that thinks it's normal; bars couldn't stay in business otherwise.

I'm pretty sure bars would do just fine without Uber.  They did just fine before cars even.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 10:05:11 AM »
Well, it only would've been $819.14 without the surge pricing.  He should've waited a few hours and gotten a deal.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 10:11:11 AM »
If alcohol made the human body smarter then NASA would be much more advanced.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 10:59:26 AM »

I really hope not...

I'm pretty sure bars would do just fine without Uber.  They did just fine before cars even.

It's not an Uber thing, I mean there's a good sized "party" culture of people who think it's normal to get so drunk in public (on overpriced booze, no less) that they make bad decisions or can't remember afterwards.

For most of the people on this forum, I'd venture to say that "going out" to bars is pretty rare and that consuming enough overpriced booze to be seriously impaired is almost unheard-of.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 11:08:59 AM »

I really hope not...

It's not an Uber thing, I mean there's a good sized "party" culture of people who think it's normal to get so drunk in public (on overpriced booze, no less) that they make bad decisions or can't remember afterwards.

For most of the people on this forum, I'd venture to say that "going out" to bars is pretty rare and that consuming enough overpriced booze to be seriously impaired is almost unheard-of.

The Mustachian way to drink to excess is to first distill your own grain alcohol, next donate blood (less blood = less drink to get drunk), then strap yourself into a chair so you can't do anything stupid while black out drunk.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 11:16:48 AM »

I really hope not...

Recently I've fallen into consuming cheap beer at bars...$6 PBR pitchers.   My problem is different though.   I can't stomach enough of the stuff to get plastered and take a late night expensive Uber ride home in order to bitch about my bill the next day.  We all have our crosses to bear.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 12:07:08 AM »
Used to have a boss who fell into the surge price trap.

This caught out everyone in Sydney on New Years Eve a few years ago when Uber first arrived here. The surge price went to 8x so suddenly a $60 ride would cost about $500.

The boss was too drunk to care and at 1am there were not that many other options, so he ended up wearing the $500 for a half hour trip home.

I can't fathom the idiocy. Get a cab, pay the regulated $60 fare. You'll still get from A to B, you don't have to take the Uber just so the next day you can tell your workmates how much of a wanker you are for being part of the sharing economy.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 08:54:48 AM »
Last time I drank so much I couldn't drive, neither could my ride home so I walked several miles home. Alone, well after midnight. I thought the walk was a nice end to the evening. Fortunately we live in a small town that is safe.

These days one strong beer at the pub is enough. Responsibilities and all that. A beer at home on the porch listening to a friend chat or the crickets is really appealing compared to a noisy bar these days.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 09:52:48 AM »
Used to have a boss who fell into the surge price trap.

This caught out everyone in Sydney on New Years Eve a few years ago when Uber first arrived here. The surge price went to 8x so suddenly a $60 ride would cost about $500.

The boss was too drunk to care and at 1am there were not that many other options, so he ended up wearing the $500 for a half hour trip home.

I can't fathom the idiocy. Get a cab, pay the regulated $60 fare. You'll still get from A to B, you don't have to take the Uber just so the next day you can tell your workmates how much of a wanker you are for being part of the sharing economy.
Where I live there was a big stink about the Uber surge on NYE, but realistically it was always really hard to get home that night. I tried calling every single cab company, all busy signals, and every cab driving by was full. I was near home but some friends needed to get back to their hotel and they ended up walking like 4km in high heels. Uber filled a real need, but at a huge premium. Luckily this year they kept the metro open all night, that helped a lot and I hope they do that every year. I bet the cabbies complained though..

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 04:53:08 PM »
Last time I drank so much I couldn't drive, neither could my ride home so I walked several miles home. Alone, well after midnight. I thought the walk was a nice end to the evening. Fortunately we live in a small town that is safe.

These days one strong beer at the pub is enough. Responsibilities and all that. A beer at home on the porch listening to a friend chat or the crickets is really appealing compared to a noisy bar these days.

One of my friends (a guy) did that many years ago.  It was 10  miles.  He was a bit cold when he got home, but was mostly sober by then!