Author Topic: $1,000 per day camping trip (trailer&truck rental only)  (Read 6284 times)

livingthedream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Becoming Financially Independent
$1,000 per day camping trip (trailer&truck rental only)
« on: July 01, 2014, 05:47:18 PM »
I can appreciate the beauty of Airstream trailers and thought this rental service was a good way to try one but then saw the price tag. As much as $1,000 per day with a Yukon. Of course you will have to add in gas (a lot), food, supplies and camping fees - https://airstream2go.com/

Spartana

Re: $1,000 per day camping trip (trailer&truck rental only)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »
YIKES! So much for budget camping. I generally tent camp or sleep in the back of my vehicle but have often wondered if getting a small trailer to tow behind would be something I'd like. But after figuring gas costs (as well as the purchase cost of even a small inexpensive  trailer) it's just too high. Looked at some very small pop up tent trailers and they might be doable though.

livingthedream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 07:54:40 PM »
We have a travel trailer we bought new for $17k and yeah the mileage sucks towing. A used tent trailer may be the way to go for a budget trailer. We also do quick weekend trips just with a tent or sleep in the back of our Land Cruiser (non-mustachian vehicle I know).

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 04:01:05 AM »
This is "camping"? Some people would call it "living". I doubt those people are paying $1000/day rent though.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 08:26:17 AM »
$1000 a day?! My god I'm going to start buying up campers and trucks and undercutting these guys.

Angie55

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:39:37 AM »
I built a small teardrop trailer so we could go camping more often. Focused on the basics of building a bare minimum trailer that's also light. There is near zero packing and setup now so we can leave after work on a Friday, arrive at 9pm and set up in <10 minutes.

I can pull it with my Outback and it barely changes the mileage (maybe 1-2 mpg less). Pulling it up/down the Rockies I still get ~23-24mpg. I laugh as I  pass the giant motorhomes (usually pulling some type of SUV also) chugging up the mountain going 35mph and guzzling gas while they are at it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 09:47:34 AM »
GuitarStv's guide on how to tell if you're camping:
- Do you poop in a hole that you dug several seconds before?
- Is fabric the only material obstructing a bear from entering your sleeping area?

If the answer to any of the above is 'no' you're not camping.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 10:29:30 AM »
I built a small teardrop trailer so we could go camping more often. Focused on the basics of building a bare minimum trailer that's also light. There is near zero packing and setup now so we can leave after work on a Friday, arrive at 9pm and set up in <10 minutes.

I can pull it with my Outback and it barely changes the mileage (maybe 1-2 mpg less). Pulling it up/down the Rockies I still get ~23-24mpg. I laugh as I  pass the giant motorhomes (usually pulling some type of SUV also) chugging up the mountain going 35mph and guzzling gas while they are at it.

I really wanted to build a small trailer, but I can't seem to find a way to make it big enough for a family of four and still allow us to tow it behind our minivan.    I love camping in the rockies but we never make it an entire weekend.   Invariably, someone gets too cold at night (last time they were wearing snow suits) and we have to go home early.   

Right now I'm looking at skoolies, but in the back of my mind I know I can't justify something that big and crazy.    I think we're destined to sit on the camping sidelines until my wife can handle temps lower than 40f or my kids get older.

EricL

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 10:34:18 AM »
Wow.  It's cheaper to go to Europe and stay in mid sized hotels. 

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 01:37:36 PM »

awesome!! my boyfriend and I would love to do that eventually.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 01:52:03 PM »
Wow.  It's cheaper to go to Europe and stay in mid sized hotels.

For 1,000$ a day? You could stay in a luxury hotel and drive around with Porsche.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 07:29:27 AM »

Would love to see a picture of this thing!

livingthedream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 01:46:08 PM »
The teardrop sounds like a great rental idea. They are so cool and iconic kind of like the Airstream.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 08:06:13 PM »
I guess everything is more expensive when it's shiny.

Jennifer in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »
- Is fabric the only material obstructing a bear from entering your sleeping area?

Sooner or later, the day comes to all us when getting up is suddenly more difficult than getting down was.  You also hear yourself making noises when straightening up.  For these reasons my husband and I have decided that our love affair with sleeping on the ground is over, after many years of happily tent camping.  So a trailer of some sort is in our not too distant future.

Still, hell would freeze solid before I spent 1k a day renting a truck/trailer combo. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 07:58:35 PM »

Sooner or later, the day comes to all us when getting up is suddenly more difficult than getting down was.  You also hear yourself making noises when straightening up.  For these reasons my husband and I have decided that our love affair with sleeping on the ground is over, after many years of happily tent camping.  So a trailer of some sort is in our not too distant future.

Still, hell would freeze solid before I spent 1k a day renting a truck/trailer combo.

I've had that day. :-) A camper shell on a pickup truck can work surprisingly well, especially if you build in a platform for an air bed and store your gear under the platform. Make it modular and you can take it out to use the truck normally when you're not camping.

That's our plan, at any rate. On our last trip we slept in some friends' truck while they slept in their teardrop trailer. In high summer I'll still tent it; the stiff old joints are not so stiff when it's nice and warm. Also, air beds are extending my ground sleeping lifetime a bit, but they get cold in fall. Sleeping bag pads are warmer, but that part of my life is over.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!