Author Topic: Y'all are a bunch of quitters - The Great Resignation  (Read 29125 times)

Yanisimo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Y'all are a bunch of quitters - The Great Resignation
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2021, 10:40:15 PM »
I had my annual performance review in January. I planned on negotiating an 18% raise to get my salary in line with the market (I was well underpaid). I had busted my butt for this company in 2020. When the boss showed up to my office and notified me of my 3% raise with no room for negotiation, I was pretty upset and decided to apply to other jobs. I took my remaining PTO in May and interviewed during that time. I received an offer with a 20% increase in pay and submitted my resignation soon after my return from vacation. I've heard they are having trouble filling my position - I bet because of the low pay.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2021, 11:12:04 PM »
I have also quit but will stay on to the middle of february. I joined a firm last year in september were most of the things have changed since then. It has been a shitty year were I have had a lot of discussions with my manager were we have a difference of opinion because we have a different way of doing things. I wanted to stay on for three years but decided after a period of a lot of work that I had basically had enough if we could not find a compromise. The start of the performance review indicated that it was not going to happen so when she told me that she thought we had communciation problems I agreed and told that we probably should talk how we would deal with my work when I quit.

I am moving across the country to be closer to family and I am going to start my own company. I am also going to continue working as a consultant in some of the projects as well as taking some of the clients with me. It will probably mean that I will get a similar salary as now but with less work. I planned for a start with no clients. she mentioned a while ago that it had worked a lot better since it was decided I would quit. Yes, of course it has because I decided to not give a fuck about many of the issues because it will not be my problem in the future.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2021, 12:01:22 AM »

My super-frugal sister is retiring in a couple of weeks, just short of her 60th birthday, after an extraordinarily challenging career as an intensive care (and then cardiac care) nurse. She's very well-regarded at her hospital and the cardiac docs are horrified that she's leaving.

Her manager has known for a while that she's retiring but today, my sister had to go and hand in a formal, written resignation notice. She has one shift left a few weeks from now.

No congrats or any positive words at all from the manager. Instead, the manager asks if my sister wants her performance evaluation.

Sis responds, "No thanks, I'm good. Unless you want me to do something differently between now and my last shift."

Then the manager asks if my sister could pick up a few shifts.

Ouch - that's not a cool way to handle the retirement of a good employee.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2021, 12:40:34 AM »
I have also quit but will stay on to the middle of february. I joined a firm last year in september were most of the things have changed since then. It has been a shitty year were I have had a lot of discussions with my manager were we have a difference of opinion because we have a different way of doing things. I wanted to stay on for three years but decided after a period of a lot of work that I had basically had enough if we could not find a compromise. The start of the performance review indicated that it was not going to happen so when she told me that she thought we had communciation problems I agreed and told that we probably should talk how we would deal with my work when I quit.

I am moving across the country to be closer to family and I am going to start my own company. I am also going to continue working as a consultant in some of the projects as well as taking some of the clients with me. It will probably mean that I will get a similar salary as now but with less work. I planned for a start with no clients. she mentioned a while ago that it had worked a lot better since it was decided I would quit. Yes, of course it has because I decided to not give a fuck about many of the issues because it will not be my problem in the future.
So happy for you!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2021, 08:33:52 PM »
We had another one quit this week for a huge raise elsewhere.  I don't think management is going to realize what is happening until it's way too late, and by then anybody who's left is going to be so overworked and underpaid they'll be right on the heels of everyone else.

Management is leaving too. You think they care?

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2021, 10:16:36 AM »
My megacorp got a new CEO last year, so naturally we had a company wide reorganization and right-sizing. All the typical politics were in full swing. Well, now there have been a few rumors of them messing with our bonuses which are paid in mid December. I figure if they have not gotten the numbers down enough, slashing (or eliminating) the bonuses after a really strong year would take care of that quickly. We do continue to see people leave, but in my experience, upper management considers every resignation a win. It’s all about short term.

Should continue to be an interesting situation for my final few years.

catlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2021, 12:21:05 PM »
My team has been slowly disappearing since the beginning of the year. Management doesn't address the issue and just hides their head in the sand 🤷 So I also decided it was my time to go and I found new job, for more money(bigger base salary +++ equities) and less responsibilities 😁

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2021, 06:54:54 AM »
I am onboard with you on this one. Just eat your beans without adding a whole industry into the mix, if you want to cut back on meat consumption.

FWIW, the Impossible Burger I had was WAY better than beans.

Don't get me wrong, we have a bean-based meal at least weekly - but that's not satisfying the carnivore urge like the Impossible Burger did.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2021, 06:56:35 AM »
My question is more related to food and service industries vs corporate america than most have been discussing so far.  But it is interesting that the labor shortage is not limited to one industry segment, it seems across the board.

It's not a labor shortage.

It's labor unwilling to continue working in shitty conditions for shitty pay often while also being at the front lines of infection.

Raise wages + improve working conditions = No labor shortage

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2021, 06:59:59 AM »
My team has been slowly disappearing since the beginning of the year. Management doesn't address the issue and just hides their head in the sand 🤷 So I also decided it was my time to go and I found new job, for more money(bigger base salary +++ equities) and less responsibilities 😁

Congratulations!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2021, 07:10:30 AM »

Congratulations!
Ditto!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2021, 10:13:09 PM »
Hey I’m next! Signed tonight, 44% raise and a job that looks like way more fun/challenging!

JoePublic3.14

• Bristles
« Reply #162 on: November 23, 2021, 07:19:00 AM »
Hey I’m next! Signed tonight, 44% raise and a job that looks like way more fun/challenging!

that’s awesome, congrats!

A few more of these stories and I may have to do some looking…

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: November 23, 2021, 09:45:27 AM »

that’s awesome, congrats!

A few more of these stories and I may have to do some looking…

Consider looking now - the hiring process can take a bit, and if you start looking before you're desperate to leave it'll be easier to turn down anything that's not a great fit.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: November 23, 2021, 10:23:47 AM »
My question is more related to food and service industries vs corporate america than most have been discussing so far.  But it is interesting that the labor shortage is not limited to one industry segment, it seems across the board.

It's labor unwilling to continue working in shitty conditions for shitty pay often while also being at the front lines of infection.

I've been thinking about this with the growth of antiwork on Reddit.

Five years ago, fast food joints were paying at or close to the minimum wage here. If you were willing (and able) to do the work, you could get a job in a distribution center for $15/hour. It was more physically demanding, but you didn't have to deal with customers, which made it a win for me when I was in college.

Today, I see Burger King and McDonald's advertising $15/hour starting wages. I have no idea what the warehouses/distribution centers are paying, but I would guess that it's $18-20/hour at least.

Wages have certainly gone up for entry-level jobs in recent years. I doubt the working conditions have changed.

It's difficult for me to comprehend the working conditions, as I don't think I've been in many jobs where I'd rather quit than keep making money. If I did, it was usually because of customers, not the company. Even as a minimum wage employee at a fast food restaurant when I was 16, I felt valued by my manager, who was also the owner of that particular franchise. As I got older (and was still single), I was all for picking up extra shifts, because that was more money in my pocket, so I didn't feel taken advantage of. My bosses still respected the days I said that I had to be off.

There were certainly toxic leaders during my time in the military, though I couldn't just quit my job then. Otherwise, I feel like my managers have always treated me well. Maybe that was because I was always a hard worker who took pride in the quality of my work. Or maybe I have just been lucky.

catlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: November 23, 2021, 10:26:01 AM »

Congratulations!
Ditto!

Thanks!!! I am super excited and my bank account is too lol

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2021, 10:26:09 AM »

Five years ago, fast food joints were paying at or close to the minimum wage here. If you were willing (and able) to do the work, you could get a job in a distribution center for $15/hour. It was more physically demanding, but you didn't have to deal with customers, which made it a win for me when I was in college.

Today, I see Burger King and McDonald's advertising $15/hour starting wages. I have no idea what the warehouses/distribution centers are paying, but I would guess that it's $18-20/hour at least.

Wages have certainly gone up for entry-level jobs in recent years. I doubt the working conditions have changed.

It's difficult for me to comprehend the working conditions, as I don't think I've been in many jobs where I'd rather quit than keep making money. If I did, it was usually because of customers, not the company. Even as a minimum wage employee at a fast food restaurant when I was 16, I felt valued by my manager, who was also the owner of that particular franchise. As I got older (and was still single), I was all for picking up extra shifts, because that was more money in my pocket, so I didn't feel taken advantage of. My bosses still respected the days I said that I had to be off.

There were certainly toxic leaders during my time in the military, though I couldn't just quit my job then. Otherwise, I feel like my managers have always treated me well. Maybe that was because I was always a hard worker who took pride in the quality of my work. Or maybe I have just been lucky.

IMO luck has a fair bit to do with things.  I loved my job up until a management change about two years ago.  The quality of my work hasn't changed and my skillset and responsibilities have continued to escalate, but it's not a pleasant job anymore. The company is the same, but management can make or break it.

I've only got 11 more working days here, though!

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: November 23, 2021, 11:57:16 AM »

IMO luck has a fair bit to do with things.  I loved my job up until a management change about two years ago.  The quality of my work hasn't changed and my skillset and responsibilities have continued to escalate, but it's not a pleasant job anymore. The company is the same, but management can make or break it.

I've only got 11 more working days here, though!

Luck? Absolutely? Hard work? No doubt. And (I'll be that guy in the thread) in your case, DadJokes - systemic factors that you are the beneficiary of.

Would your perception have been different if you were a woman and felt like you were being harrassed by customers, coworkers, or management?

What about being a minority (apologies if you are)? Don't you think that the expectations would have been different, especially at the lower wage jobs?

How about having kids to look after, or aging parents, or both? Your inflexibility to pick up shifts might have been a nuisance to your managers.

What if you had a disability, visible or hidden? Do you think you would have been treated the same way?

I'll emphasize, I believe there absolutely should be an expectation that when working, one should strive to meet at least the minimum expectations of their position, to go above and beyond where appropriate, and to take pride in the work they do. But hard work isn't enough, luck is a major factor in being able to enjoy a job - whether you make $8, $15, $50, or $150 an hour. And when folks who are doing their best are treated like crap whether that's at a fast food establishment, a fulfillment center, or a software engineering job, any opportunity to improve upon your current position is going to be appealing.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: November 23, 2021, 02:51:45 PM »
I'll answer these as candidly as I can. I realize that I certainly have benefitted from systemic items in some areas.

Would your perception have been different if you were a woman and felt like you were being harrassed by customers, coworkers, or management?

I have been sexually harassed in a job before. I was a server in Austin, TX, in an area with a large gay population. I was flirted with frequently. I never dissuaded the behavior, because I knew that I would get bigger tips to go along with it. I realize that women face this far more than I ever did, and I never worried about someone waiting for me after work. That's the only job where I ever dealt with that.

What about being a minority (apologies if you are)? Don't you think that the expectations would have been different, especially at the lower wage jobs?

In the part of Texas I grew up in, the Hispanic population is actually larger than the white population. Of course, that doesn't mean the system favors them over white people. Most of my bosses were white. In truth, the closest I've ever felt to being a minority was being an outspoken atheist in the Bible Belt. However, I don't think my Hispanic co-workers had a harder time at work than I did. The black population was under 5% of the population, and I actually had more black supervisors/managers than co-workers in my low wage jobs. Sample size is too small to take any meaning from that.

Edit: This is a stereotype on my part, but I worked with many first generation Americans, and I often found them to be harder working than many of my white co-workers.

How about having kids to look after, or aging parents, or both? Your inflexibility to pick up shifts might have been a nuisance to your managers.

I acknowledge that. I would have been less willing to work more hours if I had a child back then. However, all of my managers have been parents, as far as I can remember. I'm sure they understood that kids come with a time commitment. I don't even recall any of my managers ever expecting people to work hours they weren't scheduled for, because there were always employees like me who would volunteer for the extra hours.

That does remind me of my time in the military, however. They actually care about family time so much that the single soldiers were often stuck with the shit details. And it wasn't like we got paid more for doing them.

I did have an assistant manager who took care of her aging mother. Being in a management position, she did have to work extra shifts (have to have a manager on duty), but the manager never asked her to do work that he wasn't also willing to do, and he had a very sick wife as well.

What if you had a disability, visible or hidden? Do you think you would have been treated the same way?

I'm trying to picture what you have in mind here. I don't think that I've ever had co-workers with disabilities, but I have a difficult time imagining my past employers treating them any differently.

I'll emphasize, I believe there absolutely should be an expectation that when working, one should strive to meet at least the minimum expectations of their position, to go above and beyond where appropriate, and to take pride in the work they do. But hard work isn't enough, luck is a major factor in being able to enjoy a job - whether you make $8, $15, $50, or $150 an hour. And when folks who are doing their best are treated like crap whether that's at a fast food establishment, a fulfillment center, or a software engineering job, any opportunity to improve upon your current position is going to be appealing.

I don't think that it's a product of my skin color, gender, parental status, or lack of disability that has led to managers treating me well. I think I've just had good managers for the most part who treated everyone well (excluding the military).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 02:54:25 PM by DadJokes »

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: November 24, 2021, 05:42:45 AM »
@DadJokes Your experience sounds a lot like mine, except I didn't serve in the military, and I was in SE MI and not a predominantly Hispanic area.

I should have clarified that I wasn't necessarily trying to call you out, I certainly wasn't trying to insinuate that you don't understand the structural defects across various industries, and I appreciate your responses.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2021, 06:27:46 AM »
Wife just quit her job.  Immediately found a new one for 35% more comp AND is full remote.  Hawaii here we come.

Sweet !

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2021, 06:29:56 AM »

WTG @catlady !

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2021, 06:31:54 AM »

Don't forget the widely-reported problem of no / crazy expensive child care.

Speaking of, the child care industry (talking about taking care of children 0-5, not necessarily public school, though they're facing similar issues) seems to be having particular difficulty in finding qualified replacement workers.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2021, 06:35:37 AM »

Congrats @JLee !

Mustache ride

• Stubble
« Reply #174 on: November 25, 2021, 06:36:24 AM »
I had my annual performance review in January. I planned on negotiating an 18% raise to get my salary in line with the market (I was well underpaid). I had busted my butt for this company in 2020. When the boss showed up to my office and notified me of my 3% raise with no room for negotiation, I was pretty upset and decided to apply to other jobs. I took my remaining PTO in May and interviewed during that time. I received an offer with a 20% increase in pay and submitted my resignation soon after my return from vacation. I've heard they are having trouble filling my position - I bet because of the low pay.

If you are asking during the performance review you are already too late.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #175 on: November 25, 2021, 04:01:01 PM »
With so many people leaving for higher pay, it does make one wonder how many of the places hiring these people for more money and better conditions are also the ones simultaneously losing existing employees due to low pay and bad working conditions.  Or are there really just some amazing companies, and then some companies that will soon have almost no one left because they won't see the writing on the wall before it is too late.

I think either is possible, and neither speaks very highly toward the employer.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #176 on: November 26, 2021, 06:28:56 AM »
Wife just quit her job.  Immediately found a new one for 35% more comp AND is full remote.  Hawaii here we come.

Update - she was able to push back on both the title and comp, and they obliged. Signed on Wednesday, starts end of Jan. Fully remote.

50.2% total comp increase.

Wild time outs there. We very masterfully engineered this as a multi offer type situation, which also helped. My guess is that 20% is inflation driven. The other 40% is a combination of her being extremely competent, underpaid in previous role and highlights just how hard it is to find top-tier employees these days.  Companies are chomping at the bit for rock star hires.

Next thing to do is to find a way to build a second dedicated office space in the home as we both now work fully remote. Might look into something that extends into the unused space under the stairs. Or maybe a (boxable) ADU in the back yard…. Hmm.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 06:52:07 AM by bryan995 »

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: November 26, 2021, 09:53:46 AM »

Update - she was able to push back on both the title and comp, and they obliged. Signed on Wednesday, starts end of Jan. Fully remote.

Wild time outs there. We very masterfully engineered this as a multi offer type situation, which also helped. My guess is that 20% is inflation driven. The other 40% is a combination of her being extremely competent, underpaid in previous role and highlights just how hard it is to find top-tier employees these days.  Companies are chomping at the bit for rock star hires.

Next thing to do is to find a way to build a second dedicated office space in the home as we both now work fully remote. Might look into something that extends into the unused space under the stairs. Or maybe a (boxable) ADU in the back yard…. Hmm.

This is INCREDIBLE!  Congratulations indeed.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: November 26, 2021, 01:17:44 PM »

That's really awesome.

Query: I thought you were going to Hawaii, but your talk of more home office at your current house would contradict that. Just a Hawaii vacation?

FWIW, my favorite islands are Big Island, Oahu and Kauai in that order. Taking the coastal roads all the way around in Maui was pretty darn fun, as was "Lahaina Noon" on Haleakala. :D

Presuming you go to the Big Island and have any interest in tropical fruits, schedule Hilo for a timeframe including Saturday, or secondarily a Wednesday. Go to the Farmer's Market. While there is a farmer's market every day, those are the "big" days. Off days might have only a half dozen vendors.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #179 on: November 26, 2021, 09:51:03 PM »

That's really awesome.

Query: I thought you were going to Hawaii, but your talk of more home office at your current house would contradict that. Just a Hawaii vacation?

FWIW, my favorite islands are Big Island, Oahu and Kauai in that order. Taking the coastal roads all the way around in Maui was pretty darn fun, as was "Lahaina Noon" on Haleakala. :D

Presuming you go to the Big Island and have any interest in tropical fruits, schedule Hilo for a timeframe including Saturday, or secondarily a Wednesday. Go to the Farmer's Market. While there is a farmer's market every day, those are the "big" days. Off days might have only a half dozen vendors.

Ha I wish. A vacation for sure.  We’ve only ever been to Maui so will follow your picks and try something new next time.

Would love if it could be for longer, but as great as working remote is, we are still fairly land locked.  Ideally we could pick up a few vacation / rental homes and rotate around the country every few months. All the while continuing to work from home with little impact to performance.  It’s the kids that complicate things. Schools are not yet very forgiving to the nomad lifestyle. Maybe we could find a way to make the summers work initially. Or perhaps covid will continue to pressure schools to adapt… either way, only 18 more years until the youngest leaves for college :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 09:53:16 PM by bryan995 »

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2021, 07:52:01 AM »
We took a ~4 week Hawaiian vacation (almost entirely on points) a few years back. The mistake I made was listening to people who said Oahu was too commercial/touristy and only allocated 5 days. Sure, there are the big tourist attractions - but there are also nice non-crowded botanical parks,  the Bishop Museum, beaches besides Waikiki, etc. If you want to learn real Hawaiian history/culture - do the Bishop museum. If you want the touristy Hawaiian history/culture, do the Polynesian Cultural center. We enjoyed both of them.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2021, 09:11:07 AM »
We took a ~4 week Hawaiian vacation (almost entirely on points) a few years back. The mistake I made was listening to people who said Oahu was too commercial/touristy and only allocated 5 days. Sure, there are the big tourist attractions - but there are also nice non-crowded botanical parks,  the Bishop Museum, beaches besides Waikiki, etc. If you want to learn real Hawaiian history/culture - do the Bishop museum. If you want the touristy Hawaiian history/culture, do the Polynesian Cultural center. We enjoyed both of them.
Agreed, Oahu is awesome once you get away from Waikiki. Paging @englishteacheralex and @Kierun . I know there are other MMMers there, but these two batsignals are a good start. Hmmm, maybe start a new thread? I'm sure you'll get lots of great ideas.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #182 on: November 27, 2021, 09:26:16 AM »
@bryan995

Time to start your "I'm going to Hawaii" thread ;)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2021, 10:09:37 AM »
Hey! Can't ignore a Dicey bat signal. I've lived on Oahu since 2003. Too many variables for me to give good advice about a trip here. Feel free to PM me or give me details here and I'll read them. I haven't been following this thread. :)

MrsSpendyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #184 on: November 27, 2021, 10:17:53 AM »
Last week at the job I’ve been at for 11 years.  They were expecting everyone to come back to the office in January despite remote working fine and were not willing to raise salaries at all.  Top revenue producer for the company and found a job making 50k more and fully remote.  Company is now being forced to hire someone with half my experience, who has to work remotely anyways due to how far they are.  If they only listened when it was brought up the first time…

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #185 on: November 27, 2021, 01:26:26 PM »
I'm currently aiming to double my salary to $200k.

Due to the vagaries of my pension, it's really not worth it below that. Each additional month I work (through August) is an extra ~$17k in pension value.

Plus. I've got 100% WFH til May, 80% after that.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #186 on: November 27, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »
Last week at the job I’ve been at for 11 years.  They were expecting everyone to come back to the office in January despite remote working fine and were not willing to raise salaries at all.  Top revenue producer for the company and found a job making 50k more and fully remote.  Company is now being forced to hire someone with half my experience, who has to work remotely anyways due to how far they are.  If they only listened when it was brought up the first time…

Sounds like 50k worth of happiness for you was a good lesson for them to learn, though :-)

soulpatchmike

• Stubble
« Reply #187 on: November 29, 2021, 06:59:40 AM »
I got a couple of interesting data points yesterday from my son.  He works part-time at a Menards home improvement store.  He told me that a guy started a month or so ago pushing carts, for $17/hr and he has been working 52 hours per week.  Annualized that is ~$52k with overtime pay for pushing carts. 

$52k/yr for pushing carts...

Second data point.  He has a friend in his freshman year of college that is working 15-20hrs per week at a UPS distribution center for $22/hr.  In addition, he gets full benefits if he wanted them and they do tuition reimbursement after 90 days of employment. 

$22/hr for loading UPS trucks...

It is no wonder that the service industry is short staffed.

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #188 on: November 30, 2021, 02:09:11 PM »
Hey! Can't ignore a Dicey bat signal. I've lived on Oahu since 2003. Too many variables for me to give good advice about a trip here. Feel free to PM me or give me details here and I'll read them. I haven't been following this thread. :)
What ETA said except, born and raised on Oahu here.

FragglesRock666

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #189 on: November 30, 2021, 05:44:58 PM »
I, too, am a quitter!
My previous employer was in retail, and they were hit hard when everything shut down, so they cut down to skeleton crew.  I was one of the folks furloughed for 3 months.  I was the only one in the department that were brought back after the furlough, so we were down to about 60% of our pre-pandemic staff.  When we re-opened, sales went through the roof, yet, we weren't bringing anyone back.  I'd had 4 direct reports before, and 2 after.  When one of my 2 quit in early February, then I struggled to replace her due to crap pay we were offering, by May I was done and started looking myself.
Additionally, we were required to be full-time in office as soon as we were all brought back, and they were *very* loose about safety measures, like enforcing the mask requirements.  I myself have MS and my step dad who is in poor health lives with us.  I got like a $25/month raise for the year, and I hadn't had more than one or two days off total in the year since I'd been furloughed.
Started my new job in July.  I am fully remote, though do sometimes have to go into town for meetings and whatnot.  I got another week's vacation, too.  Though I am getting less in total compensation since the new gig doesn't have a 401k or a match.  Still, I am much happier at the new job! And I can still save for retirement, it just won't be as tax advantaged. 

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #190 on: December 01, 2021, 08:50:16 AM »
I really need to become a quitter myself.

When I first started at my current job 3+ years ago I loved it. However there has been a huge culture shift over the last year +. This has happened despite there not being a change in management.

In November 2020 we had an 8 person team - plus the VP - who is the boss to my boss. Since then we've lost team members at an alarming rate. Of those 8 only 2 now remain. Myself and my boss. We're the suckers I guess.

Some background:

I received an ok raise in March 2020. In April 2020 that raise was rescinded along with an additional decrease in pay, due to the uncertainty brought on by COVID. "We all need to tighten our belts a bit in these uncertain times" was the company line. The decrease brought me under what I was initially making when I first started with the company in Summer 2018.

The mandatory decrease was lifted in October 2020, though we did not get our March raises back. 2020 closed. We had a fine year. Despite the pandemic, income was actually up over 2019. March 2021 - evaluation time. Congrats! Remember the raise you got in 2020 that was rescinded? That's what you are getting as a raise this year! No double-up and no extra anything for the lost pay in 2020. Literally just the raise that was taken away last year. Also, that potential 15% bonus? Well despite the increase in income (during a pandemic), certain metrics weren't hit (that my team has no bearing on whatsoever). So here is less than half of that.

This summer I was given a talking to by the VP. Regarding "all the time off" I have been taking. I think I had taken 4 days off to date. A few days off for surgery, an additional day because I wasn't feeling well and one vacation day to spend the day with my wife for her birthday. I did have an adjusted schedule due to having to care for my kids during the pandemic, but VP was aware of that. Furthermore, despite the adjusted schedule I got my work done. I got my "hours " in. Hell, VP has been CC'd on multiple emails that I have sent out at 2-3-4 AM. (My normal hours are 8 AM to 5 PM).

Turns out the most recent hire of our 8 members had been feeding the VP a bunch of exaggerations or outright lies. Puffing herself up and throwing everyone else under the bus. That person managed to get herself two promotions within the span of 6 months this year. Of course, as I predicted, she moved on last month. Played the VP for a fool to buff her resume and then left for greener pastures. Meanwhile an awesome, dedicated employee who had been here for nearly a decade was denied a frankly overdue promotion by said VP and literally put his notice in the same day as the self-promoting liar. VP was shocked by both notices. I and my boss were shocked by neither.

Dedicated employee moved out of state and was given everything he could have possibly imagined by his new employer.

Now the VP is throwing money around like candy to attract new talent. He's also boxed out my boss, whom was previously the primary decision maker for hiring new team members. New hires who have been out of school less time than I have been with the company (nevermind the additional 3.5 years experience I have on my resume) are getting ~15% more as a starting rate than I am making now.  My boss has protested - but those concerns have fallen on deaf ears - and I think are part of the reason why he is being boxed out.

Its gotten so bad that my boss and I were literally looking for jobs together (on company time mind you).

My largest hurdle is the metropolitan area which I call home is a lacking in jobs in my specific field (corporate tax). I could easily find a job if I was willing to commute 45 minutes plus, but frankly I am not. I have two young kids and my wife works as well. We also just bought a house so we aren't going to relocate.

There may be a light at the end of the tunnel, however. My boss is in talks to move to a new company and he wants to take me with him. It would be a fully remote position, the pay would likely be a substantial increase over what I am making now and the work would be less demanding. Crossing my fingers it happens. If it doesn't my boss has offered to help me find a job elsewhere. The man is a saint, a tremendous mind in our field of work and tragically underappreciated by our current VP.

The worst part of all of this is we have no idea what happened to cause the change it our VP. He's always been a bit neurotic and a pain to deal with but there has been a significant change in the last year + and he is the sole and direct cause for all of the turnover.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #191 on: December 01, 2021, 12:31:44 PM »
There may be a light at the end of the tunnel, however. My boss is in talks to move to a new company and he wants to take me with him. It would be a fully remote position, the pay would likely be a substantial increase over what I am making now and the work would be less demanding. Crossing my fingers it happens. If it doesn't my boss has offered to help me find a job elsewhere. The man is a saint, a tremendous mind in our field of work and tragically underappreciated by our current VP.
  Wow.  Best of luck!  And make sure if/when the time comes, that you post in the FU Money Stories thread!

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: December 01, 2021, 01:18:37 PM »

The worst part of all of this is we have no idea what happened to cause the change it our VP. He's always been a bit neurotic and a pain to deal with but there has been a significant change in the last year + and he is the sole and direct cause for all of the turnover.

I would highly suggest figuring out a way to document via email the verbal exchanges he had with you about your "excessive vacation" in a way that reminds him that they're medical in case you need this later for some sneaky business. It would be awful if they had to give you a severance package on your way to your new job due to that harassment

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #193 on: December 01, 2021, 06:32:50 PM »

When I first started at my current job 3+ years ago I loved it. However there has been a huge culture shift over the last year +. This has happened despite there not being a change in management.

In November 2020 we had an 8 person team - plus the VP - who is the boss to my boss. Since then we've lost team members at an alarming rate. Of those 8 only 2 now remain. Myself and my boss. We're the suckers I guess.

Some background:

I received an ok raise in March 2020. In April 2020 that raise was rescinded along with an additional decrease in pay, due to the uncertainty brought on by COVID. "We all need to tighten our belts a bit in these uncertain times" was the company line. The decrease brought me under what I was initially making when I first started with the company in Summer 2018.

The mandatory decrease was lifted in October 2020, though we did not get our March raises back. 2020 closed. We had a fine year. Despite the pandemic, income was actually up over 2019. March 2021 - evaluation time. Congrats! Remember the raise you got in 2020 that was rescinded? That's what you are getting as a raise this year! No double-up and no extra anything for the lost pay in 2020. Literally just the raise that was taken away last year. Also, that potential 15% bonus? Well despite the increase in income (during a pandemic), certain metrics weren't hit (that my team has no bearing on whatsoever). So here is less than half of that.

This summer I was given a talking to by the VP. Regarding "all the time off" I have been taking. I think I had taken 4 days off to date. A few days off for surgery, an additional day because I wasn't feeling well and one vacation day to spend the day with my wife for her birthday. I did have an adjusted schedule due to having to care for my kids during the pandemic, but VP was aware of that. Furthermore, despite the adjusted schedule I got my work done. I got my "hours " in. Hell, VP has been CC'd on multiple emails that I have sent out at 2-3-4 AM. (My normal hours are 8 AM to 5 PM).

Turns out the most recent hire of our 8 members had been feeding the VP a bunch of exaggerations or outright lies. Puffing herself up and throwing everyone else under the bus. That person managed to get herself two promotions within the span of 6 months this year. Of course, as I predicted, she moved on last month. Played the VP for a fool to buff her resume and then left for greener pastures. Meanwhile an awesome, dedicated employee who had been here for nearly a decade was denied a frankly overdue promotion by said VP and literally put his notice in the same day as the self-promoting liar. VP was shocked by both notices. I and my boss were shocked by neither.

Dedicated employee moved out of state and was given everything he could have possibly imagined by his new employer.

Now the VP is throwing money around like candy to attract new talent. He's also boxed out my boss, whom was previously the primary decision maker for hiring new team members. New hires who have been out of school less time than I have been with the company (nevermind the additional 3.5 years experience I have on my resume) are getting ~15% more as a starting rate than I am making now.  My boss has protested - but those concerns have fallen on deaf ears - and I think are part of the reason why he is being boxed out.

Its gotten so bad that my boss and I were literally looking for jobs together (on company time mind you).

My largest hurdle is the metropolitan area which I call home is a lacking in jobs in my specific field (corporate tax). I could easily find a job if I was willing to commute 45 minutes plus, but frankly I am not. I have two young kids and my wife works as well. We also just bought a house so we aren't going to relocate.

Oh Please do post when you get the awesome new job with better pay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouLou

• Bristles
« Reply #194 on: December 11, 2021, 06:31:48 AM »
Just put in my notice! I'm taking an indefinite leave of absence instead of fully quitting. I like my firm, my coworkers, and my work. I am just thoroughly burned out.

Glad I found this place all those years ago. It's good to know that I can take as much time to rest and recuperate without worrying about making ends meet. I would not be able to do this if I got caught up in the fancy house/fancy car/ private school lifestyle.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #195 on: December 11, 2021, 07:06:48 AM »
With so many people leaving for higher pay, it does make one wonder how many of the places hiring these people for more money and better conditions are also the ones simultaneously losing existing employees due to low pay and bad working conditions.  Or are there really just some amazing companies, and then some companies that will soon have almost no one left because they won't see the writing on the wall before it is too late.

Employers got way too used to being able to take advantage of employees, driven by the recession. I remember back then working for a large insurance company and being told that we should come to work everyday with "an attitude of gratitude".

Until Aug 2020, I was working for a large hospital system in finance. When the pandemic hit and we were sent home they furloughed roughly 60% of staff. As director I was not allowed to be furloughed and was expected to take my staff's work as well as my own (while homeschooling my kids) then we were told there would be no annual bonus. Despite the hospital system receiving lots of stimulus dollars.
I resigned in Aug to "stay home with my kids". (was planning to FIRE soon anyway)
In May 2021 they call me back and tell me they could never replace me, would I be willing to do part time work from home to help get budget done and some other items.
I became an independent contractor for them, tripled my rate and work 15 hours per week doing the EXACT same job I quit in Aug 2020. Just signed a second contract because they still can't find a replacement. I laugh all the way to the bank when I deposit my contractor checks.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #196 on: December 11, 2021, 08:19:38 AM »
My last day was yesterday.  I left my phone in the other room last night because I no longer needed to constantly watch e-mail. I woke up this morning with no notifications.

Just utterly surreal…after six years of basically being 24x7 on call and filtering through tons of e-mail every day, it’s all gone. I heard from a good friend who I worked with that they’re all on a call this morning for some problem - if I still worked there, just sleeping in til 930 on a Saturday morning (when we are all supposed to be off) would’ve resulted in me missing stuff.

I’m so excited to start my new role tomorrow - I’ve been consulting for them for a year so I have a decent idea of what I’m in for. My exit interview yesterday was over an hour long - I really hope they take my information seriously, but that remains to be seen. They’re hemorrhaging senior staff at an astonishing rate.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #197 on: December 12, 2021, 12:39:22 AM »

Employers got way too used to being able to take advantage of employees, driven by the recession. I remember back then working for a large insurance company and being told that we should come to work everyday with "an attitude of gratitude".

Until Aug 2020, I was working for a large hospital system in finance. When the pandemic hit and we were sent home they furloughed roughly 60% of staff. As director I was not allowed to be furloughed and was expected to take my staff's work as well as my own (while homeschooling my kids) then we were told there would be no annual bonus. Despite the hospital system receiving lots of stimulus dollars.
I resigned in Aug to "stay home with my kids". (was planning to FIRE soon anyway)
In May 2021 they call me back and tell me they could never replace me, would I be willing to do part time work from home to help get budget done and some other items.
I became an independent contractor for them, tripled my rate and work 15 hours per week doing the EXACT same job I quit in Aug 2020. Just signed a second contract because they still can't find a replacement. I laugh all the way to the bank when I deposit my contractor checks.
This is one amazing resignation success story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2021, 09:54:13 AM »
I quit my day job a little over 3 months ago. Life has gotten so much better. Filling up my time with 4-hour workdays in self-employment, going to the gym during the day, eating better, helping out my fiancé with career goals, getting 7-9 hours of sleep consistently, learning new web development skills, reading books, playing videogames with friends, planning extended vacations with quality family time, playing the piano, watching documentaries with my fiancé.

No more countless emails, no more daily commuting with aggressive drivers running amok. No more Teams messages outside of working hours, no more deadlines, no more phone calls, no more ass kissing in the office. No more paying $380/month for crappy health insurance. No more approvals for getting time off.

I could go on and on. Things have changed for the better and I didn't realize it until being out of the thick of working a corporate job, overworked and underpaid.

4tify

• Bristles
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2021, 10:33:39 AM »
Just chiming in to say I’m proud to be a quitter!

Congrats all the rest of you winners!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!