Poll

Would you pick up a penny from the floor of a public restroom?

Yes.
No.
Other. (Explain below.)

Author Topic: Would you pick up a penny from the floor of a public restroom?  (Read 8604 times)

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
Would you pick up a penny from the floor of a public restroom?

I sat on the toilet looking at this penny wondering, "If I don't pick it up, did that make me less of a mustachian? If I do pick it up does it mean that I'm somehow addicted to money? Do I have no shame or standards? Is the health risk worth a penny? Was I un-American if I left Abe Lincoln face down in a men's room?"

I picked up the penny and washed it while I washed my hands.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:24:28 AM by hadabeardonce »

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Would you pick up a penny up from the floor of a public restroom?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 05:35:12 PM »
Yes. Take a little toilet paper and pick it up in the toilet paper. Then either wash it with soap when you wash your hands, or just keep it in the toilet paper until you get home and can wash it and disinfect it. Then put it in your coin collecting jar or piggy bank of choice.

Praxis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 05:42:44 PM »
No.  Risk/reward factor.  Thirty years of market average compound interest, adjusted up with inflation, still nets you under 13 cents.

Public restroom floors are cesspools of bacteria.  I don't know where that thing is been.

I'm not going to take even a 0.1% chance of getting sick over 13 cents in retirement.

Now make it a dollar coin....

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 05:42:57 PM »
If it's any relief, bacteria prefer something warm, dark, and moist to reproduce on-a coin has none of these. Should be fine.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 05:45:45 PM »
No.  Risk/reward factor.  Thirty years of market average compound interest, adjusted up with inflation, still nets you under 13 cents.

Public restroom floors are cesspools of bacteria.  I don't know where that thing is been.

I'm not going to take even a 0.1% chance of getting sick over 13 cents in retirement.

Now make it a dollar coin....

Now, what it was a pre-'82 penny, eh? Copper alone in that is worth more than the penny itself. Instead of ol' Abe facing down....what if it was that Indian fella?

I guess these questions would be the equivalent of "What if this is the next Apple/Tesla/Facebook stock heheh.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 05:50:40 PM »
Probably no dirtier than any other coin. There's usually more bacteria you should be worried about on people's hands than on any floor.

That said, picking up a penny must yield about minimum wage these days. I won't pick a penny up off the sidewalk if I'm in a hurry, because it's not really worth the time.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 05:51:58 PM »
Well, any time you pick up a coin off the ground, you don't know where it's been. Actually, any time anybody hands you change in a business transaction--stores, restaurants, whatever--heaven only knows what bacteria are on those coins. I wash my hands a lot and try to keep them away from my face.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 06:01:00 PM »
I saw a penny in a puddle of piddle once. I passed.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 06:10:39 PM »

I don't pick up pennies anywhere.   I might pick up nickels and greater if it doesn't look like anyone will notice, but not off a bathroom floor in a puddle of piddle.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 06:48:28 PM »
I was taught that if you find a penny, it is a sign of good luck and I am superstitious.  That 1943 penny worth $40,000 is waiting for me.

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1913870_1913868_1913831,00.html

A penny found is as good as a penny earned.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 07:55:07 AM »
Oh, that's a tough one! If I stop and think about it I think about it, I think I'd come to the same conclusion as you (pick it up and wash it), but I'm not sure what I'd do in the moment.

I don't pick up pennies anywhere.   I might pick up nickels and greater if it doesn't look like anyone will notice, but not off a bathroom floor in a puddle of piddle.

BAN HIM!!!

More actually. Unless you're SUPER law abiding and claim found pennies on your tax return as "other income," although even then you wouldn't pay FICA tax which you do on earned income

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 08:22:44 AM »
Financial Independence is not needing to pick up anything less than a $10 bill :)

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 08:26:26 AM »
Yes I would. Well, if someone pooped on the floor first and placed the penny on top of it then no but otherwise I would just wash it and put it in my pocket.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 08:55:53 AM »
Absolutely!  Have done this many times.  :)

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 08:58:23 AM »
Yes. Take a little toilet paper and pick it up in the toilet paper. Then either wash it with soap when you wash your hands, or just keep it in the toilet paper until you get home and can wash it and disinfect it. Then put it in your coin collecting jar or piggy bank of choice.

this....I was going to wash my hands with soap and water anyway....just add the penny to the mix

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 09:10:23 AM »
Pretty sure even new pennies are copper clad zinc.  Copper is antimicrobial. Probably just fine to pick up. So...

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 09:13:32 AM »
I’d do it. We’ve all unwittingly handled pennies that have been in gross places before they reached us.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:41:13 PM by mies »

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 09:14:31 AM »
I just had to google piddle

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 09:20:31 AM »
I wouldn’t pick the most sterile penny up from the most sterile room in the world.

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 09:38:36 AM »
Penny, no. Nickel or greater, yes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 09:45:59 AM »
Sure, why not?  How clean do you think the change that the greasy guy behind the counter of the local convenience store hands you is?  Betcha it's not significantly worse.

:P

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 09:56:35 AM »
I was taught that if you find a penny, it is a sign of good luck and I am superstitious.  That 1943 penny worth $40,000 is waiting for me.

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1913870_1913868_1913831,00.html

I agree - finding a penny is good luck:)

Decades ago mom sent me to buy a loaf of bread at the baker - I was a penny short - they sent me home without the bread. Lesson learned!
I think of this every time I see a jar for pennies at the checkout or the cashier asks if I really want my one penny in change.

So, unless it looked gross somehow, I'd pick it up in toilet paper and then wash and pocket it.

But, I'd rather find that $100 bill on Miami Beach - floating in the water - yes, I did!
That $100 bill in the trash on the ground of a gas station - yes I did!
That crumpled mess of bills on the walkway on Clearwater beach. $69  - yes, I did!

I rarely find change, but I always pick it up - I always considered finding any change payback for that one penny that caused me such grief - eons ago:)
Based on that logic/irrational belief I have been rewarded handsomely.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 10:24:19 AM »
Absolutely, unless the bathroom is exceedingly gross. A penny off the floor of my local bookshop's bathroom? Hell yeah. A $5 bill off the floor of a BART bathroom? ... enh not so much. Those floors are sticky and you can SEE the lines where puddles have dried.

I don't mind dirt or germs very much. I do mind picking up things that I'm very, very certain have been in recent contact with urine.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 10:33:19 AM »
If the bathroom was really gross- no.

If it was relatively clean that I'd touch the floor, sure.

If people think change is clean when handed to them at the store, they are deluded.

swampwiz

• Bristles
Re: Would you pick up a penny from the floor of a public restroom?
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 01:03:15 PM »
There is something to be said about the "aversion to loss" effect that makes folks do an action that averts a loss, or recoups from a loss, while not doing an economically equivalent action.  In the coin example, this would mean that the person would pick up the coin that he dropped, while not picking up the same value coin that happens to be on the floor (irrespective of the cleanliness of the floor, LOL).  I find myself doing this to some extent.

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 01:15:05 PM »
I am surprised (although maybe I shouldn't be, given where this conversation is taking place) that there are so many people who are avid penny-picker-uppers. I am with the small minority of other posters who do not pick up pennies ever. I count them as virtually worthless. Nickels and higher I will keep because I can at least use those for the rare instances where I have to pay for a parking meter.

The penny should be eliminated and all change denominations rounded to the nearest 5 cent value. This is how it is done in many other countries around the world.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »
I am surprised (although maybe I shouldn't be, given where this conversation is taking place) that there are so many people who are avid penny-picker-uppers. I am with the small minority of other posters who do not pick up pennies ever. I count them as virtually worthless. Nickels and higher I will keep because I can at least use those for the rare instances where I have to pay for a parking meter.

The penny should be eliminated and all change denominations rounded to the nearest 5 cent value. This is how it is done in many other countries around the world.

Yup, I just ran the numbers and a penny is less than I earn in one second at work.  It's not worth the hassle to deal with them.

We should be like Canada and round to the nearest 5 cents.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 01:26:20 PM »

Yup, I just ran the numbers and a penny is less than I earn in one second at work.  It's not worth the hassle to deal with them.

We should be like Canada and round to the nearest 5 cents.

I wasn't making any money when I bent down in the bathroom to pick it up. So it is still a plus.

I'd be happy to be rid of pennies though.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »
I keep two Dixie cups in my cabinet at work, one is for pennies and the other is for all non-penny change that I collect in my pockets through purchases (our cafeteria is cash only, and I go there 1-2x a week if we're low on groceries at home or when they have something tastier-looking than my usual ham sandwich). 

The non-penny change cup turns over fairly regularly, with the odd vending machine snack or breakfast purchase. 

The penny cup is nearly full, and I'm not entirely sure what to do with it when it is.  It certainly isn't worth my time to go acquire rollers, roll them, and make the ~$4 deposit at the bank (it doesn't have a change machine). 

Praxis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 02:41:22 PM »
Probably no dirtier than any other coin. There's usually more bacteria you should be worried about on people's hands than on any floor.

That said, picking up a penny must yield about minimum wage these days. I won't pick a penny up off the sidewalk if I'm in a hurry, because it's not really worth the time.

I mean, pee is sterile too, but I wouldn't pull a penny out of a puddle.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 02:50:17 PM »
Hell, I've raised kids. Puddles of pee are all in a day's work.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »
I keep two Dixie cups in my cabinet at work, one is for pennies and the other is for all non-penny change that I collect in my pockets through purchases (our cafeteria is cash only, and I go there 1-2x a week if we're low on groceries at home or when they have something tastier-looking than my usual ham sandwich). 

The non-penny change cup turns over fairly regularly, with the odd vending machine snack or breakfast purchase. 

The penny cup is nearly full, and I'm not entirely sure what to do with it when it is.  It certainly isn't worth my time to go acquire rollers, roll them, and make the ~$4 deposit at the bank (it doesn't have a change machine).

Will your bank give you the rollers for your pennies? You could ask them the next time you're in there. It only takes a couple minutes to roll the pennies--then the next time you are at the bank, turn them in for the $4, and use it for your cafeteria at work. Or, just use up the pennies when you pay at your cafeteria cash register. Give the cashier exact change every time, and I bet those pennies won't last long.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 03:54:07 PM »

Will your bank give you the rollers for your pennies? You could ask them the next time you're in there. It only takes a couple minutes to roll the pennies--then the next time you are at the bank, turn them in for the $4, and use it for your cafeteria at work. Or, just use up the pennies when you pay at your cafeteria cash register. Give the cashier exact change every time, and I bet those pennies won't last long.

Yeah, I mean I could, but this is one of those time vs. money things that I don't care about.  The effort to pay in pennies, and make everyone in line behind me want to kill me, is way more trouble than it's worth.  Same with rolling pennies.  Note that this estimated $4 has accumulated over about 6 months.  We're talking $8 a year here. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2018, 03:59:29 PM »

Yeah, I mean I could, but this is one of those time vs. money things that I don't care about.  The effort to pay in pennies, and make everyone in line behind me want to kill me, is way more trouble than it's worth.  Same with rolling pennies.  Note that this estimated $4 has accumulated over about 6 months.  We're talking $8 a year here.

Drop it in a Coinstar for Amazon credit the next time you're at a supermarket?

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2018, 05:37:00 PM »

Uh, take a couple with you for each trip to the bathroom and try to discern if any of us are your coworkers by tossing them down. Start with one on the sink, then on top of urinal, bottom of sink, floor, back of toilet, floor of toilet, and so on.

Report back

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2018, 06:29:23 PM »

Yep.  And there's no monetary compensation for it either.  :P

potm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2018, 06:48:24 PM »
So a penny is worth 1c US?
People would take something off a bathroom floor that doesn’t belong to them for 1c?
I am amazed at the 27% yes response.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 05:20:39 AM »
I think the old Man Show had a gag where they floated a dollar in a toilet of piss to see how many people fished it out.  100% did.  I would not. 

On the penny I might pick it up and clean it with my handwashing if I felt some compulsion that it might be meaningful, like I was going to get on a plane or had some other wish-me-luck thing going on.  I know that is dumb but it is true.

As long as the bathroom has soap I would do the dollar in pee thing. Poop is another matter, I would need a bit more for that. But I have worked in home care for the elderly and I handled other people's pee and poop every day then. You just get used to it after a couple of days. The spit bucket one of them had though... I gagged every time I handled that and the person who had a collection of snot... I just leave it at that, I can't say anything more. And nails... I hate toe nails I realized from doing this work. Being punched, pinched and yelled at were other "benefits" but you get used to that too. I should say that most of these people were suffering from various conditions that lowered their judgement so they were not really this doing all of this on purpose and mostly I actually liked this job.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2018, 05:36:09 AM »
Given I saw and ignored the $2 coin in the toilet bowl at work, I can safely say this is a firm no.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2018, 09:26:17 AM »

Yep.  And there's no monetary compensation for it either.  :P

But there's an upside/obligation, which is that it's part of being a parent. 

My upside for sticking my hand in a stranger's piss is $.01.  Who gives a fuck about $.01?

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2018, 10:14:59 AM »

I grew up being told that "a penny saved is a penny earned." However, that saying originates from Benjamin Franklin's Poor Richard's Almanack which was published from 1732 to 1758. I can't find reliable inflation data going back that far, but a penny in 1913 is worth more than a quarter now.

I don't pick up pennies, but I'll pick up a nickel.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2018, 10:53:13 AM »
Maybe, but probably only if no one was around to see!  Couldn't be any dirtier than the change a grocery store cashier once gave me after she sneezed in her hand.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2018, 11:03:05 AM »
No.  Don't want change.  Got rid of it and don't want it back.

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2018, 12:54:06 PM »
No. You could make it a hundred dollars and I still might not do it. Neither a penny, nor $100 makes a meaningful difference in my life.

Urine isn't sterile by the way. That's a myth.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2018, 12:55:47 PM »
I would be much more likely to pick up a coin than a dollar bill. That dollar bill is going to be difficult to clean, while the coin is relatively simple.

Not sure I would grab the penny just because it is worth so little and its very existence disturbs me(pennies cost more to make than they are worth, it would be trivial for people to round to the nearest $0.05), but I would still be more likely to pick a penny off the floor than a dollar bill out of a piddle filled toilet, to use the parlance of this thread.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2018, 05:06:58 PM »
I'm in Canada, we don't have pennies anymore.  But I still pick up coins I find, and throw them in the jar.

I used to conscientiously add found coins to my weekly stash deposit, but now I don't really bother.  The stash is doing fine.

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2018, 05:54:50 PM »
I would pick it up with my tongue. I have no shame and I love money.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2018, 06:02:40 PM »
If it's any relief, bacteria prefer something warm, dark, and moist to reproduce on-a coin has none of these. Should be fine.

They also prefer not to grow on antimicrobial surfaces, like copper.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2018, 05:49:25 AM »
Penny no, Nickel I would think about it, Dime yes.

flower_girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2018, 06:23:22 AM »
I think it would depend on my mood to be honest.

Some days I might pick it up and take it home to add to my jar of coins.

Other days I might think I should leave it there in case someone really needs it.

Other days I might leave it there and wonder about the penny - how it got there, how long it had been there, who might end up picking it up (cleaner perhaps?) and think of it in a weirdly philosophical way.  Did the penny have a message for me?

And I'd probably think of all the beautiful old pennies we do have here from my late mother and grandparent's old collection of coins.