Author Topic: Would you call city on neighbour if it meant they and you get a million dollars?  (Read 27810 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
It means I told you so, on page 1.

:-)

pudding

• Bristles
It means I told you so, on page 1.

:-)

Thanks Sherlock :-)

pudding

• Bristles
Just an update for anyone that might be still following this post. But the original title re would you call the city on the neighbour... update is that I don't think it was him.

Therefore who did I argue with about 7 to 10 days before receiving the letter??? It was the tenant that freaked out and left... and not the neighbour.

The women that I think called them, in this quote I've attached.  She was an international student from Venezuela renting a room from me.   

The way it went, was that she asked if her parents could stay with her in her room for a week while they were here to visit her from Venezuela.

I said to her that, thats difficult as we already have quite a few people living in this house.. she said 'Oh we'll be out all day sight seeing etc..

So I said OK

They came to stay and the women that cleans my place told me that in the washroom, someone was wiping the poo off and then throwing the dirty toilet paper into the open waste basket and it was summer and it stunk.

I thought this has to be her parents doing this, it's probably what you do in that country as it is in others I've visited myself and they'd just been here a day or two and it never happened before.

Now, as I deal with a lot of people in my life, I knew what her personality was like, and that if embarrassed she's likely to go off.

So I crafted a nice non offending text message to her, saying " hey Maria the cleaner mentioned that someone put used toilet paper in the bin in the laundry room toilet.  I've travelled a lot and I know in some countries thats the thing to do with it because the drains wont take it, but here its thrown in the toilet and flushed away. Can you ask your parents if they are aware of that.. have a good day.... thanks, Pudding

So she came out to see me in the garden and started to tell me that i was wrong wrong wrong! and that she has seen signs in restaurants that say put the paper towel in the garbage and not in the toilet!

So I explained that, they mean the paper hand towels and that the used toilet paper goes into the toilet... so she freaked out, saying I was wrong, I'd insulted her parents, out of control rage... and storms off saying she's leaving!   To which I said, OK I'm glad to hear that!

So I'm pretty sure she called the city in a huff that day and wow... all over that.

She had mentioned that she thought there were too many people in the house (which is kinda ironic as she persuaded me to let her parents stay)  and said she couldn't always use the laundry when she wanted (which was free!)  and the nature of the complaint to the city was that there were too many people living in the house. The timing, the nature of the complaint...

if I was a gambling man I know where I'd put my money. But I'll never really know for sure.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
They tried to save your plumbing and you complained?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Stinky, poopy toilet paper vs. plumbing that is not on septic and has a proven track record of handling TP?

No contest. NO contest. 

PTF, because this is an active issue near me. (Proposed development, not poopy paper. Or maybe both.) I'll re-read the thread, dig up a little history and be back in a day or three with something more to say.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Stinky, poopy toilet paper vs. plumbing that is not on septic and has a proven track record of handling TP?

No contest. NO contest. 

PTF, because this is an active issue near me. (Proposed development, not poopy paper. Or maybe both.) I'll re-read the thread, dig up a little history and be back in a day or three with something more to say.
I hope you get top dollar for your property.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
So "someone" called on the neighbor... did he get the million dollars?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Larsg

• Stubble
Some neighbours just will never join a joined deal to improve all houses. E.g. in my town, the phone company was offering to install fiber net for fast internet and digital TV. This fiber net makes your house more attractive when selling. You had to bind the deal for 1 year. If 75% of the houses ordered it, we would get a good deal which was way cheaper than ordering it separately later.
In our neighbourhood 75% of 1 street and 50% of another street ordered it. We still got the deal, despite the 50%. But my colleague in a different street didn't get the deal because too many of his neighbours didn't join. He is still p o with it, having slower and more unstable internet at home. Plus having a house that is less attractive on the market than a similar house in the next street.

I was recently a hold out for a similar deal with our local phone/electric company. They said they would remove my 10 douglass first facing the street at no cost to me. Here is my issue, we bought out here in the country to be free. Free of cohorts like this that have shared developer maintained stuff that alway wind up being a constant dog fight between neighbors. We bought an old growth forest where my doug first are over 100 years old, huge and absolutely beautiful. There isn't too much land left life this and I'm not of the view that we can just keep eating it like cannibals for our conveniences we don't need. The net I have, the net I'm on right now works just fine and there is no way they are taking down those trees. Good thing that the Indian Tribe I live right next door too agrees with me and the phone and energy companies have been directed to stand down. This is America, where we are still somewhat free in some respects and hope we can keep it that way.